• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| Villanova has no fans so this is their thread

Intentional tripping is a Flagrant 1 foul and the consequences are well defined. Any post game punishment is set by the program first. Case by case basis.

Intentional kicking people in the balls is flagrant 2. Repeat offence warrants a look by the governing body.

You were making this a black and white issue. Not sure where you're going now...

Fjordson

I would also like to see a list of priveledges that white players are getting in b-ball for being white. At Duke it means you're magnet for hate.
White players are always praised for being "crafty", "passionate" and "hustle players" for certain types of borderline plays. Black players on the other hand just get called racist code words (usually "thugs"). Been happening in every major sport for decades.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Montrezl Harrell was suspended for 1 game for throwing a punch.
Chris Paul was suspended 1 game for actually punching a dude in the nuts.
Marcus smart was suspended 3 games for shoving a fan.

Jay Williams, Fox Sports and all of Twitter want Grayson suspended for 5 games.

thinking-face.png

(when did GAF disable emoji support?)

Soooooooooo

UNC was issued a 3rd notice of allegations from the NCAA yesterday.

It basically reinstated all of the harsh language that was in the 1st NoA but removed from the 2nd.

At this rate, they may have 1 scholarship taken away for the 2034-35 season.

Montrezl Harrell was suspended for 1 game for throwing a punch.
Chris Paul was suspended 1 game for actually punching a dude in the nuts.
Marcus smart was suspended 3 games for shoving a fan.

Jay Williams, Fox Sports and all of Twitter want Grayson suspended for 5 games.

thinking-face.png

(when did GAF disable emoji support?)

Allen has a history of tripping? Not like it's his first time. But there's a defense Force for everything...

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Allen has a history of tripping? Not like it's his first time. But there's a defense Force for everything...

Can you point to another player who was suspended for 5 games for racking up 3 techs/flagrant 1s over the course of 2 seasons? Are you really equating that to being almost twice as severe as a player laying hands on a fan?

Proelite

Yes, but that history resets every season. No governing body looks at previous season for individual players punishments for on court behavior. The punishment for intentional tripping is flagrant 1 technical. Technically according to the rule books Allen can do it 2 times a game every game. NBA has a technical foul limit for a season, idk if NCAA does.

The program itself can hold the players to a set of standards that takes in player history. Which Duke is doing.

Fjordson

I do agree that the ACC shouldn't be suspending him for a bunch of games or something. Not their place for something that severe.

For Duke to not take into account his history would be nonsensical, though. Just sit him for a game or two and hope he stops.

I never stated he should be suspended for 5 games. You act like he's "misunderstood" and what he's done is no big deal. The rest of us disagree. It's bush league shit that shouldn't be excused or accepted. K will sit him against VT and that will be the end of it. Until he does it again.

Kevtones

Coach K's words on the situation seem to affirm just how unstable Grayson is and how tired they are of his bushleaguery.

Kid needs help.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Given the pontification and over the top soapboxing from the sports media today, the best I can conclude is tripping third offense > punching a woman in the face or group sexual assault. The smugness and condescension from the pundits is laughable and sad given the reaction here compared to other events. I'm certainly glad Allen is suspended, hopefully for 2-3 games, but its hard for me not to compare the severity of the incidents and think the media reaction is carny as hell.

Proelite

Given the pontification and over the top soapboxing from the sports media today, the best I can conclude is tripping third offense > punching a woman in the face or group sexual assault. The smugness and condescension from the pundits is laughable and sad given the reaction here compared to other events. I'm certainly glad Allen is suspended, hopefully for 2-3 games, but its hard for me not to compare the severity of the incidents and think the media reaction is carny as hell.

I want overreaction. I want over-hate. I want the world against the team.

Media and pundits etc ignore truly101 and pile on.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
He won't make it in the NBA.

That will depend entirely on his playing ability, not his attitude. NBA GMs have shown they will tolerate a lot of bullshit from players if they can help them win.
I'm not so sure he'll make it either, but thats because he's too willing to jack a 3 if he can't easily drive and score.

Probably just stating the obvious here but I would assume that if Duke makes this a lengthy suspension, it's due to behavior they are seeing all around from Grayson. And there is no reason that Coach K couldn't or shouldn't consider multiple seasons worth of incidents in conjunction with anything else they may or may not be seeing that isn't common public knowledge in making the decision.

I would think the ultimate goal should be to get Grayson to cut the bad behavior out. It's no good for him and no good for Duke as a program or a school.

But hey, I'm of the school of thought that believes that this kind of stuff being tolerated because of talent is an awful way to run a team.

Oh man this UCLA - Oregon game, giving me heart attacks. Too many turnovers for UCLA so far, Ball just gave us the lead thank God.

So Charles O'Bannon's kid is choosing USC over UCLA. Damn oh well

I saw that, I was gonna ask how you felt about it. I guess with the Ball family pipeline it doesn't matter much but it seems like Enfield might be finally waking up that sleeping Giant USC hoops program.

Oregon's court looks permanently water damaged.

Edit: Ducks fans storming the court when the game isn't even over.

Kevtones

HOLY SHIT WHAT A SHOT THOUGH.

Bill Walton is so salty right now! I've never heard him so salty!

Clock showed 0:00 so you can't assess that come on.

I saw that, I was gonna ask how you felt about it. I guess with the Ball family pipeline it doesn't matter much but it seems like Enfield might be finally waking up that sleeping Giant USC hoops program.

Oregon's court looks permanently water damaged.

Edit: Ducks fans storming the court when the game isn't even over.

I guess O'Bannon's kid wants to have his own career and not live in the shadow which it's cool.

Pac-12 Basketball gonna be good this season.

Oregon played tough tonight. Kinda like our chances now since last two times we've lost to Oregon we went deep in the tournament. And in 95 we won it all.

Kevtones

I guess O'Bannon's kid wants to have his own career and not live in the shadow which it's cool.

Pac-12 Basketball gonna be good this season.

Oregon played tough tonight. Kinda like our chances now since last two times we've lost to Oregon we went deep in the tournament. And in 95 we won it all.

Great game from both teams. I'm already going to the game on the 9th and my coworker's husband is a UCLA assistant so I've got a ton of shit to talk tomorrow :D

Cal really needs to adjust the way he subs people in. It wouldn't be an easy task.

Sometimes UK's play is just god awful for stretches but I can't pinpoint why.

Duke resumes play tomorrow, noon tip at Virginia Tech. I don't know if VT is good or not, but they're 11-1, no great wins (beat Michigan), but the loss isn't terrible, either (Texas A&M, whose losses are all to power 5 teams and they played UCLA, USC, and Arizona close, all of whom are ranked). They played a couple of nights ago to knock some rust off, whereas Duke has been off for 10 days, didn't look good in either of their past two games after their previous long layoff, and will be without Grayson Allen. Add to it, I think VT is going to suit up Dell Curry. I'm just saying it could be a long afternoon.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Duke resumes play tomorrow, noon tip at Virginia Tech. I don't know if VT is good or not, but they're 11-1, no great wins (beat Michigan), but the loss isn't terrible, either (Texas A&M, whose losses are all to power 5 teams and they played UCLA, USC, and Arizona close, all of whom are ranked). They played a couple of nights ago to knock some rust off, whereas Duke has been off for 10 days, didn't look good in either of their past two games after their previous long layoff, and will be without Grayson Allen. Add to it, I think VT is going to suit up Dell Curry. I'm just saying it could be a long afternoon.

How dare you Sir! :)

No we aren't a great win in general but it was a true road win.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I have a terrible feeling about today's game. Duke is nowhere near a complete team and trip-gate part 3 is only going to further the distraction. VT has good guard play and will be fired up playing at home. A double digit beat down would not surprise me....I actually kind of expect it. All part of the process I guess.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
A Jack White appearance? More like a white flag appearance. The injuries really fucked up this team and chemistry is a big mess.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, VT is red hot. Probably good to just get this sort of game out of our system early in ACC play.

At least Harry is playing well.

The injuries really fucked up this team and chemistry is a big mess.

Yeah. So frustrating and disappointing to watch right now. This team's potential if injuries hadn't been a factor, and when fully gelled, is sky-high.

There's still plenty of time to course-correct. If anyone can do it, K can. IIRC, the 2015 team looked messy up until Sheed's dismissal and then eventually pulled it together.

Vixdean

Ummmm, so did Grayson Allen defend all 5 positions too? I can understand Duke's offense shitting the bed without him, but letting VT hang nearly 50 in a half?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Best case scenario for Duke right now is similar to UK 2014. That team took a long time to get it figured out, but was scary as shit once they did.

Proelite

Ummmm, so did Grayson Allen defend all 5 positions too? I can understand Duke's offense shitting the bed without him, but letting VT hang nearly 50 in a half?

Grayson is good for 10 points extra and defends for 5 points. So potentially a 15 pt swing. Which would make this a 1 point game.

His +/- for the season is ahead of Kennard.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
K is trying to out Roy Roy and hide Bolden and Giles for next season. I know they draft on potential, but right now I don't see how Bolden leaves and Giles just isn't there yet.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Man, that's a particular pathetic-looking "court storm". It's supposed to be a rush, not a trickle. And put your damn phones away. Kids these days *sigh*

The bright side is that Carolina also lost today. That always helped on the school bus the next day.

Speaking of bright sides, another one is that Duke often looks terrible in early conference play due to two lengthy pre-conference breaks.

scoobs

Woke up today to check the scores and realized I know absolutely nothing anymore. Is anyone elite this year? Feels like UK, UCLA, KU, Nova, Baylor (what?), West Virginia are the best teams, but I honestly have no clue. How can Baylor actually be an elite team? I refuse to believe it.

Top Bottom