• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| Villanova has no fans so this is their thread

Good for Johnny Dawkins I guess.

Sounds like you're not a fan of him.

But considering he has like 6 current scholarship players and the star PG out since early December, he's doing great. Our previous coach was terrible at fundamentals. Dawkins has this team playing conference and league leading defense right now.

I'm just glad UCF basketball is fun to watch again. I don't think depth will allow for even a NCAA bid this year. But the team is stacked next year.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

But considering he has like 6 current scholarship players and the star PG out since early December, he's doing great. Our previous coach was terrible at fundamentals. Dawkins has this team playing conference and league leading defense right now.

I'm just glad UCF basketball is fun to watch again. I don't think depth will allow for even a NCAA bid this year. But the team is stacked next year.

I wish Aubrey luck when he's ready to play. He had some really good games for us.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

No, I like Johnny Dawkins just fine and I hope he does well at UCF. It was disappointing to see him not get the job done at Stanford so succeeding at an AAC football school isn't quite the success a lot of us thought he'd have. But, yeah I hope he gets them to the tourney for sure. Dawkins will be good for 20+ wins most every season and he may be able to push the program forward.

Minnesota with the road victory over a ranked team. Holy shit. OT too...2 OT games to start the BT season. Blew a huge lead against Michigan State at home and lost. Think the last road victory over a ranked team was @Wisconsin in 2012...could be longer...holy crap

edit-Found the last ranked road game victory: at No. 25 Michigan State in 2015. Barely ranked.

K's taking a leave of absence due to back issues.

95 redux here we come!

inb4 "HE JUST DOESNT WANT TO TAKE ALL OF DOOK'S LOSSES ON HIS RECORD HEHE HEHE"

No, I like Johnny Dawkins just fine and I hope he does well at UCF. It was disappointing to see him not get the job done at Stanford so succeeding at an AAC football school isn't quite the success a lot of us thought he'd have. But, yeah I hope he gets them to the tourney for sure. Dawkins will be good for 20+ wins most every season and he may be able to push the program forward.

I see. Yeah I wonder if the admissions requirements at Stanford were part of the reason why he couldn't always get who we wanted. UCF does well academically as far as providing an education and graduating players, but of course we are not at the level of Stanford and do not have the same admissions requirements.

AAC is down a bit given the injury ridden UConn and recovering Memphis/Temple, but overall it isn't a bad league. AAC when full strength I think is a high mid major basketball league with a few teams at the top capable of competing with anyone in the country. Normally it should be a 4-5 bid conference if you're talking about Cinci, UConn, Temple, and Memphis, with maybe the occasional SMU/Houston.

Edit: As for UCF specifically, yeah it's a football school first. But luckily we did invest in building up basketball too and as a result, we still have one of the best arenas in the state and in the region - if not nationally (excluding NBA venues). We've just had the bad benefit of having a terrible coach the last few years, killing the fanbase. The foundation is there capital improvement wise, now we need a coach to bring it to life. Dawkins is at least off to a good start there.

K's taking a leave of absence due to back issues.

95 redux here we come!

inb4 "HE JUST DOESNT WANT TO TAKE ALL OF DOOK'S LOSSES ON HIS RECORD HEHE HEHE"

This is what basically ruined Matta, had back surgery that went bad and he can barely walk, sit or stand and it gets worse every year. Alot of people point to the recruiting downturn due to him unable to really hit the recruiting trail like he could when he first started coaching here.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
From personal experience, I can say that herniated disks are no joke. I hope K has a full and speedy recovery. Disappointed he couldn't wait until the offseason to take care of this, though. Did something traumatic happen that worsened things? (
besides the loss to VT hehehe
)

Luckily, his replacement Capel has a better HC record than K does at Duke, so we're in good hands.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm ready for Capel as our new overlord and for any loses he incurs to not count against K.
It will be intersting to see what happens with this team but I think all previous expectations might as well be thrown in the garbage. Not that Capel can't coach or the players don't like him but like 95 (a team that had better talent than its record indicates) this team has questions with chemistry and on court leadership. I think Capel may be an invigorating force but there are no guarantees.

The only silver lining is that Capel is almost guaranteed to play the freshman more and play a deeper bench.

Mainly because it's not hard to play the freshman (Bolden/Giles) more than "never" and play a deeper bench than "1 dude"

I was thinking the same thing. In a sample size of 1 game last year, he certainly had a different strategy with the rotation.

C1SSgnQVIAAWukb.jpg

ESPN trying to tell us something?

UCF pulls it out to go to 3-0 in the AAC. One of the ugliest games I've ever witnessed. 48-45 final.

Next up UCONN on Sun. Hopefully we can knock them off given they're like a wounded animal right about now.

Duke Basketball
‏@dukebasketball
Grayson Allen is warming up with his teammates—something he didn't do Saturday at Virginia Tech. No word on if he will play tonight

Don't think he plays tho.

It's way too easy for cats to say "DOOK STOPPED CARING ABOUT PRINCIPLES AND MORALS WHEN THEY STARTED LOSING HEHE HEHE" if you bring him back 1 game after VT

Duke Basketball
‏@dukebasketball
Grayson Allen is warming up with his teammates—something he didn't do Saturday at Virginia Tech. No word on if he will play tonight

Don't think he plays tho.

It's way too easy for cats to say "DOOK STOPPED CARING ABOUT PRINCIPLES AND MORALS WHEN THEY STARTED LOSING HEHE HEHE" if you bring him back 1 game after VT

ESPN is reporting that he's starting tonight. Some suspension.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
When Matt Jones is hitting 3s, you know you're in for a long night.

Jay Bilas being total wishy washy homer over the Allen thing.

lol Bilas has been one of Duke's biggest critics in recent years

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Bilas totally said you know I'd probably suspend him more maybe 2 games maybe 3 games ... Sorta trailed off... Then snaps back with but if Coach K decided 1 game that's totally fine too.

He even lead with the I totally understand both sides thing. All the while that doesn't matter cause the kid is actually playing. LL

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Bilas totally said you know I'd probably suspend him more maybe 2 games maybe 3 games ... Sorta trailed off... Then snaps back with but if Coach K decided 1 game that's totally fine too.

He even lead with the I totally understand both sides thing. All the while that doesn't matter cause the kid is actually playing. LL

What's so wrong with that? He can't mention how he would handle it if he were HC, while at the same time not being surprised by K's decision either, knowing K fairly well?

There's a spectrum of what one considers acceptable and what one would do himself given the choice. It's not some binary thing.

Small sample size and in a noncompetitive game, but we're starting to see why Giles and Tatum were so adamant on playing with each other in college.

Alot of glimpses of chemistry this half

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan bloooooooows this year. I hope Charles Matthews lives up to the hype from practices because he'll be the #1 option for sure if he's ready. We desperately need someone who can run the P&R.

Top Bottom