• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| Villanova has no fans so this is their thread

Kevtones

Damn, Oregon laid some wood on the road tonight. 22 point road win in league is good no matter. UW may be mediocre but they have the potential #1 in Fultz and this team looked nasty on both ends. 8 threes from Dorsey brings him back to life.

Kevtones

Virginia lost to Pitt, Notre Dame beat Loserville, Syracuse beat Miami.

This season's going to be a slobberknocker.

Takeaways: Syracuse is good but not Sweet 16 good. Virginia should've lost to Cal the past two years and Cal is sneaky good enough THIS year to beat someone. Pitt is an 11-seed that will have an injury. Call is the 12 with the 5 upset.

Real takeaway: it's so hard to parse the season in CBB. Kids change so much and teams do too. I never feel like I can actually predict the F4 perfectly except this year I can get 3/4 team - Duke, Oregon, Villanova. I know that much.

Fjordson

Eh, think it's Duke and then everyone else if Coach K's surgery goes well and he's on the sideline by March. Maybe Villanova, but I don't see anyone beating Duke.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Eh, think it's Duke and then everyone else if Coach K's surgery goes well and he's on the sideline by March. Maybe Villanova, but I don't see anyone beating Duke.

Way too early to tell and way too soon after the VT game to make that prediction. A lot of teams, Duke included, won't get shit figured out until maybe February, so when the tourney starts in 2 1/2 months a lot of these teams are going to be in different spots. Duke will lose to a couple of teams they probably shouldn't have over the next two months.

Way too early to tell and way too soon after the VT game to make that prediction. A lot of teams, Duke included, won't get shit figured out until maybe February, so when the tourney starts in 2 1/2 months a lot of these teams are going to be in different spots. Duke will lose to a couple of teams they probably shouldn't have over the next two months.

Apart from Gonzaga and Nova, none of these teams are finished products. Which is why I don't like Nova's chances.

Fjordson

That's true, there could be some other teams really playing well come tourney time, but man I just think Duke has a really nice roster in how it's constructed. If they're healthy and Krzyzewski is on the sidelines in March I think they're definitely the best team.

How's Tatum's rebounding? I wonder if he could hold up at the 4. A lineup of Frank Jackson, Grayson Allen, Kennard, Tatum and Giles could make for some dope smallball.

Proelite

That's true, there could be some other teams really playing well come tourney time, but man I just think Duke has a really nice roster in how it's constructed. If they're healthy and Krzyzewski is on the sidelines in March I think they're definitely the best team.

How's Tatum's rebounding? I wonder if he could hold up at the 4. A lineup of Frank Jackson, Grayson Allen, Kennard, Tatum and Giles could make for some dope smallball.

We need a PG. Can we trade one of Kennard or Allen for Fox?

Nolan Smith is like 28 with (as far as I know) perfectly functioning knees and feet.

Someone should find another year of eligibility for him...

Also, Duke may play Boston College today in the first game of the Post-K Era.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Amile back in the locker room with the trainer looking at the same foot that took him out last season. Not good.

NCSU Super Bowl will have to wait a day

John SmistVerified account
‏@JohnSmistWECT
BREAKING: N.C. State at North Carolina postponed to Sunday at 1:00 PM.

Duke University Super Bowl may have to wait a year

Duke Basketball
‏@dukebasketball
Amile Jefferson not on the floor as the Blue Devils run out to warm up for the second half.

Hopefully it's precautionary

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
If Amile's not back by Tuesday, that FSU game is a loss

I'm glad you're optimistic that he's coming back at all. This season has been so emotionally exhausting.

Maybe this will be a Ryan Kelly situation where he goes out for a while but makes it back in time for a big game and then the tournament. Both him and Amile are very similar in their glue guy-ness and importance to the team defense.

edit: looking forward to the upcoming hot takes calling for Dillon Brooks to be suspended

Don't think he would go for a trip this quick off the suspension. But he does think he's slick enough to get away with kicking someone in the balls.

Clearly he is.

TraBuch

Banned
Don't think he would go for a trip this quick off the suspension. But he does think he's slick enough to get away with kicking someone in the balls.

Clearly he is.
BC player clearly pulled Allen's leg back with his left leg. And I say that with zero sarcasm. If Allen was the screener in that situation, everybody would be screaming trip.

That's not tripping but in slow motion like that it definitely looks like he exaggerated the contact to throw his leg up and foul the screener.

Maybe in regular speed it doesn't look as bad.

I saw that during the game, obviously didn't see the detail visible in the replay. That's nothing. I agree with TraBuch, the BC player's leg dragged Allen's leg back, not the other way around.

Proelite

Per sources, Amile done for the season.

This is our karma payment for a title run later obviously. Has to be.

TraBuch

Banned
It's pretty crazy that the only person defending Grayson Allen is Seth Greenberg of all people. Seriously, how do people not see the BC player's leg pull Allen's leg back?

Looks like a nut kick to me (click link to scroll it in slow mo). BC player's foot does not make enough contact with Allen to draw Allen's foot into his groin. BC player's foot goes straight back, Allen's goes straight up. Watch Allen "fall" forward in order to kick back and up. Not a Duke fan so probably not seeing it how it really happened...
grayson.0.gif

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/KkB-63LJVdy6C_ZCQYz4oM7wMA8=/0x0:560x328/720x0/filters:focal(0x0:560x328):gifv():no_upscale()/cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7769471/grayson.0.gif

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Per sources, Amile done for the season.

This is our karma payment for a title run later obviously. Has to be.

: (

Which sources?

I'm staying out of this Grayson debate. People just see whatever they already wanted to.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
9.99ers are now hearing Amile may miss about 2 weeks and that the injury is an aggravation of his previous one from last season. This may be an issue of injury management like they did with Seth in 2013. So serious in some context but in and of itself, not serious. Expect Amile to miss about 2 weeks and be re-evaluated.

As far as the whole allen thing, it look more like a nut kick than a trip but I don't think it was intentional. Look at GA's head and face when he makes contact and his right foot is not planted when throws back his left. It looks (to me) like he didn't anticipate the contact correctly (he saw the pick coming) and legit lost his balance. Given his other instances, especially in the Elon game, he seemed to be more in control over what he was actually doing.
But because of those instances, he is going to get griefed on every instance like this one, and it comes with the territory. Given how offensive players are already taught to flail their arms and legs on any contact to draw a foul. this is going to be an ongoing theme for the rest of his college career anyway.

University of the People basically ended NC State's season today.

No use going on after losing by 51 to your rival.

Speaking of, UNC beat State by 51. State beat Virginia Tech by 26. Tech beat Duke by 14.

Transitive property says Carolina is about...91 points better than Duke this year.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
That FSU game tomorrow could be real bad. What's frustrating is that it won't be a surprise and Duke will still play like they are completely overwhelmed. Duke has struggled at FSU the past few years, it would be nice to at least see the team compete and have a shot to win.

Its going to be another 15+ point beatdown isn't it?

That FSU game tomorrow could be real bad. What's frustrating is that it won't be a surprise and Duke will still play like they are completely overwhelmed. Duke has struggled at FSU the past few years, it would be nice to at least see the team compete and have a shot to win.

Its going to be another 15+ point beatdown isn't it?

Yes

And Florida State will forget they are a top 15 team and storm the court too.

Top Bottom