• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Hobonichi Techo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
It finally arrived! Now I'm ready for 2016!

I really like the packaging. As for the book itself, it's smaller than I imagined it would be. But what the heck! If I manage to keep up with writing, I might get myself the cousin next year.

Also, earlier, I got myself one of them pilot metropolitan fountain pens (no ink yet, sadly). And, will be getting a pad of rhodia paper.

Damn your threads, Bagels!

Pied Piper of Pens and Paper.

I love how everyone who orders the Hobonichi Planner remarks on how small it is. I own plenty of A6 stuff and even I said, "wow, so tiny!" the first time I saw it.

With the talk about places to buy pens and paper, above, I highly recommend Goulet Pens if you are looking for ink. They offer samples of everything they carry, which is an amazing service. Nice inks are 20-30$ a bottle, so it's a decent investment for something you may hate. The samples are a buck or two. The nicest ones are maybe $3.

If you are starting out, try some Pilot Iroshizuku inks. The colors are all great and they just work so beautifully in basically any pen. That is my gold standard for how an ink should be.

And get a sample of J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary Emerald of Chivor. Mindblowing.

Pied Piper of Pens and Paper.

I love how everyone who orders the Hobonichi Planner remarks on how small it is. I own plenty of A6 stuff and even I said, "wow, so tiny!" the first time I saw it.

With the talk about places to buy pens and paper, above, I highly recommend Goulet Pens if you are looking for ink. They offer samples of everything they carry, which is an amazing service. Nice inks are 20-30$ a bottle, so it's a decent investment for something you may hate. The samples are a buck or two. The nicest ones are maybe $3.

If you are starting out, try some Pilot Iroshizuku inks. The colors are all great and they just work so beautifully in basically any pen. That is my gold standard for how an ink should be.

And get a sample of J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary Emerald of Chivor. Mindblowing.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I am just starting out and I plan on buying Pilot Iroshizuku inks since a local online shop here sells them. I live in the Philippines, by the way. If I can't find an ink, pen, or paper locally, I may have to resort to Goulet Pens. Do they ship worldwide? And how do I get samples from them?

Thanks.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I am just starting out and I plan on buying Pilot Iroshizuku inks since a local online shop here sells them. I live in the Philippines, by the way. If I can't find an ink, pen, or paper locally, I may have to resort to Goulet Pens. Do they ship worldwide? And how do I get samples from them?

Thanks.
There's a website you could check, you know

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

Thanks.

Ah, ok! Goulet's samples are here. They do ship internationally.

The review I linked a few posts up is by someone in the Philippines. They recommended this place for TWSBI pens (they also carry the Hobonichi Techo!). These guys have a great ink selection, and have samples of Diamine inks. Diamine makes some nice mid-range inks. The shimmertastic inks can be fun. And here's a final retailer in the Philippines that looks like it carries nice stuff.

It looks like you have nice options locally, so you should be in good shape!

Ah, ok! Goulet's samples are here. They do ship internationally.

The review I linked a few posts up is by someone in the Philippines. They recommended this place for TWSBI pens (they also carry the Hobonichi Techo!). These guys have a great ink selection, and have samples of Diamine inks. Diamine makes some nice mid-range inks. The shimmertastic inks can be fun. And here's a final retailer in the Philippines that looks like it carries nice stuff.

It looks like you have nice options locally, so you should be in good shape!

Wow! Thanks for the links!

I got my pen from everythingcalligraphy.com but didn't buy ink yet as I was still searching for other options. Looks like I'll be busy ordering stuff sometime next week. I intend to improve my handwriting and practice doing some calligraphy.

Raxious

On my way to the pen shop, hopefully i'll find something considering i'm left handed. I also noticed my order has been dispatched from Tokyo :D

Edit: ended up buying a lamy all-star, apparently the color is quite rare as well ^^ got the pearl / champagne version.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Finally received the Techo today. Are these popular in Japan? Do they have exclusive covers there? If so, I'll fly out and check it out.

Received mine today at the same time as my iPad pro and stylus. Let's see who wins!

The packaging is really nice, and the book is a superbly crafted thing indeed. Can't wait till Jan 1!

Hey thanks! I'm always super happy when people like my threads!

What exactly is she looking for? Notebooks? Pads? If she has not tried Rhodia R, she needs to! Even the tiniest size pads. They are so nice!

Sorry to hear that! Now I feel all bad. I'll happily send you a pen if you miss the fountain pen life...

Bagels you're amazing, stahp. I'd love to take you up on that but I feel there's definitely someone more deserving than I.

Seeing this thread has definitely rekindled my love of paper and ink though, I'm super excited to get back into it for the start of my spring semester.

Been admiring this thread from a distance. Finally deciding to dip into the water. Wanna get one for myself and maybe like 4-5 friends....

Oh boy...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Just got it in.

Man, just the feeling of the paper, the stitching, you can just feel the craft that goes into this little book.

Also passes the blackwing test which I'm very happy about.

GOOD-FREAKING-GRIEF BAGELS!

LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:

ID # Product Quantity / Price / Subtotal
00008864 Hobonichi Gift Bag (M) x 3 / 300 yen / 900 yen
00023895 SSACK Navy - Cover Only x 2 / 1620 yen / 3240 yen
00023944 Hobonichi Planner A6 Book English(January Start) x 4 / 2700 yen / 10800 yen
00023990 Hobonichi Weekly Calendar x 4 / 540 yen / 2160 yen
00023992 Hobonichi Memo Pad Set(3-book set for A6 Hobonichi Planner/Origi x 4 / 540 yen / 2160 yen
00024284 Hobonichi Techo User Book 2016 x 4 / 756 yen / 3024 yen
00024539 Framboise Chocolat - Cover Only x 1 / 1620 yen / 1620 yen
00024542 Blue-Green - Cover Only x 1 / 1620 yen / 1620 yen

Items Ordered : 23

And then I got 4 fountain pens..........I sacrificed not getting getting an earthbound cover to justify getting my best friend one also. May my bank account forgive me later.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
GOOD-FREAKING-GRIEF BAGELS!

LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:

And then I got 4 fountain pens..........I sacrificed not getting getting an earthbound cover to justify getting my best friend one also. May my bank account forgive me later.

I don't think I am entirely to blame here. What about the idiot who made last year's Hobonichi thread? Blame that guy.

I don't think I am entirely to blame here. What about the idiot who made last year's Hobonichi thread? Blame that guy.
SHq43SF.jpg

ExcelTronic

I also received mine today, and I can't wait to record in it daily. I'm also going to see if I can incorporate my digital life (i.e. files) into it too.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Just got it in.

Man, just the feeling of the paper, the stitching, you can just feel the craft that goes into this little book.

Also passes the blackwing test which I'm very happy about.

Glad you like it! It's just such a pleasing thing to hold! Blackwings are the same way. They are just so nice!

Have you gotten any of the Blackwing Volumes? They are kind of a silly indulgence, but I like the look of the 725s. I keep giving them away so I need another box.

Anung

Un Rama
Got mine a while back but had it wrapped for Christmas. Lovely little book though it almost feels like a shame writing in it. Just trying ti figure out how to start it.

Raxious

Got mine a while back but had it wrapped for Christmas. Lovely little book though it almost feels like a shame writing in it. Just trying ti figure out how to start it.

I just started reflecting my day and how i felt that day. Nice thing about this week for me is that there's no school so no planning needed.

Just saw that my case arrived at the Customs in Amsterdam, so let the waiting game begin.

kiri

I just started reflecting my day and how i felt that day. Nice thing about this week for me is that there's no school so no planning needed.

Just saw that my case arrived at the Customs in Amsterdam, so let the waiting game begin.

I'm still waiting for it to get shipped on the 4th T^T at least I'll have 10-14 pages or so for pen tests etc.....

daydream

Banned
mine arrived over the holiday break and it is indeed lovely

decided that i'm gonna use it as lyrical and essayistic diary of sorts

Lunar15

Just ordered myself one off the JP store. Definitely going to work on my handwriting, which is pretty terrible. Does anyone know of any good handwriting tutorials perhaps? I feel like this is probably one of the better places to ask.

I Felt the same but then as I started writing in it, it dawned on me that its only as valuable as how much you use it, and its only fun if youre not precious about it. Ive just been jotting down ideas as quickly or as nicely as I have time for and its already being used and is an asset. So just get into it!

Raxious

Right now I use it to reflect on how my day went, though I'm starting no notice that the Hobonichi might be to small for that. Oh well, I'll try it out this year and maybe i'll buy both the A6 version and its big brother for next year. That way I can use the big one for reflecting and the A6 version as an actual planner for homework and stuff.

Metaroo

Just signed up for notifications on JetPens. Might pick up one of those Midori notebooks too.

Bagels, you are the GOAT.

neoxdonut

Got my money back from the site I ordered from and ordered from the official site + got the Mother 2 cover.

Now I wait.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Here's my little pink book with the rotring 600. Plus some cheapo lamy ballpoint.

The rotring 600 is fantastic also by the way. Feels like it's sturdy enough to survive a war or two, and wonderfully balanced.

kubus

LTTP, but...

CX3dOllWMAECfdM.jpg:large

Yep, let's do this. I bought the Hobonichi 2015 at the Hobonichi Store in Tokyo last year, and I've religiously written in it every single day since then until about a week after I returned to my home country. It was such a change of pace and lifestyle when I got back home and I didn't make enough effort to create a "Hobonichi moment" everyday :(.

I'm gonna try and change that this year. I really loved writing in my techo everday in Japan (granted, life was way more exciting over there than here). I'm trying to keep track of what I've been doing since January 1 so I can fill in those pages later once my new Techo has arrived :p.

Does the 2016 English planner start on January 1st btw, or earlier/later?

Very nice. Obviously vinyl doesn't feel as good as leather, but I really like the pink outside with the orange insides.

Here's my little pink book with the rotring 600. Plus some cheapo lamy ballpoint.

The rotring 600 is fantastic also by the way. Feels like it's sturdy enough to survive a war or two, and wonderfully balanced.
That's great to hear and see. :)

What I like about my black case is the contrast between the black cover and white pages when it's closed but that's basically it. I'll go for something else next time.

Forkball

Anyone wanna share some pages? I totally have my own original ideas that are awesome, but I'm just curious to see what everyone else is writing.

jimwhat

Anyone wanna share some pages? I totally have my own original ideas that are awesome, but I'm just curious to see what everyone else is writing.

Is there a link in your Member title?

Also, check out this blog for some cool uses: http://hobonichilove.tumblr.com/

That's great to hear and see. :)

What I like about my black case is the contrast between the black cover and white pages when it's closed but that's basically it. I'll go for something else next time.

Yeah, I got the black last time and a nice white one this time. Luckily the cases are interchangeable and can switch depending on the occasion.

Forkball

Is there a link in your Member title?

Also, check out this blog for some cool uses: http://hobonichilove.tumblr.com/
Yes. It linked to a post I made, but the thread was deleted, so now it goes nowhere. The best post I ever made on this forum was wiped off the face of the internet, now that's tragedy.

Thanks for the link. I can't draw, but I'll think of other ways to make it visually interesting. I have the original one, and you can quickly run out of space. I kind of like the limit though, it makes you think about what you really want to discuss and what's going through your head at that moment.

neeksleep

Hmm, i might get one of those Rotrings. I used to swear by a particular pencil, the Pentel Graphgear 500, but I seemed to have lost it during a move and haven't found a comparable pencil (in terms of comfort and weight) since.

Timeaisis

Got my 2016 a couple days ago. I'm going to try to be better about writing everyday. My handwriting still sucks, though. :p

Anung

Un Rama
Got my 2016 a couple days ago. I'm going to try to be better about writing everyday. My handwriting still sucks, though. :p

I've noticed this as well. It's been so long since I've had to write using a pen for more than a few sentences. Trying really hard to make it look good.

Raxious

LTTP, but...

CX3dOllWMAECfdM.jpg:large

Yep, let's do this. I bought the Hobonichi 2015 at the Hobonichi Store in Tokyo last year, and I've religiously written in it every single day since then until about a week after I returned to my home country. It was such a change of pace and lifestyle when I got back home and I didn't make enough effort to create a "Hobonichi moment" everyday :(.

I'm gonna try and change that this year. I really loved writing in my techo everday in Japan (granted, life was way more exciting over there than here). I'm trying to keep track of what I've been doing since January 1 so I can fill in those pages later once my new Techo has arrived :p.

Does the 2016 English planner start on January 1st btw, or earlier/later?

hey look, it's a fellow Dutchy :p

Damn, yours should be called the Hobonichi Tecronomicon.

Great work though. I love non-euclidean lookin' stuff.

Oh wow. That's some genius word play!

It's funny you mention that, as I just finished At the Mountains of Madness last week and the last few pages I drew were heavily influenced by it!!

My buddy woud love one of these, he's a pretty good artist and he is always sketching.

So rather than just some shite A4 pad, this would be pretty cool.

Unfortionately, as for me I write like spider that suddenly gets the shits halfway down the page, also my sketchings look like a badgers arse. Occasionally I absent mindedly draw something half decent, but its just random nothingmuchness or a bunch of bell ends.

kubus

hey look, it's a fellow Dutchy :p
*zwaait*

I kinda had a heart attack when I read your post on page 2 that a Dutch shop was selling these AFTER I had already paid about 70 euro on the Hobonichi webstore, but "fortunately" the Dutch shop didn't have them in stock anymore, lol.

Can't wait to get mine! Time to anxiously refresh my order page every 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom