• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 NFL Week 5 - Guess Who's Back?

You always make me laugh, bead.

The way Turner played made it obvious that he was not prepared to play LT AT ALL. I mean he's trash anyway but he was in no way prepared. Knowing the Dolphins luck Laremy Tunsil probably slipped in the shower less than a day before the game or some stupid shit.

It was actually during warm ups before the game...so he was told right before the game started that he was playing LT, I don't understand why they didn't move Bushrod to LT since he has experience there at least and I don't know wtf happened with James but he's straight up trash right now (Along with most of the team I guess...)

‏@ArmandoSalguero now9 seconds ago
Adam Gase says Laremy Tunsil slipped in the shower and fell Sunday.

Darkest....what did you DO!??!

It was actually during warm ups before the game...so he was told right before the game started that he was playing LT, I don't understand why they didn't move Bushrod to LT since he has experience there at least and I don't know wtf happened with James but he's straight up trash right now (Along with most of the team I guess...)
At this point I'm convinced the Dolphins could spend the next 10 first round picks they get on offensive linemen and every single one of them would end up being trash, injury prone, or both.

squicken

Vikes are running the Pats offense

The Texans blitzed Bradford on 43.8 percent of his dropbacks, according to ESPN Stats and Information. And yet, Bradford was pressured on merely 21.9 percent of them. That leads us to a hypothesis: One of the best things the Vikings have working for them in protecting Sam Bradford is ... Sam Bradford.

The quarterback's quick release already has helped the Vikings on a number of occasions in Bradford's four games as the starter, and on Sunday, he beat the Texans with an even faster trigger than usual. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Bradford had the shortest time before pass in the NFL in Week 5, getting rid of the ball in an average of 2.0 seconds. He tied Tom Brady for the shortest time in the pocket (at 1.98 seconds), and even on the infrequent occasions he looked downfield, Bradford worked quickly: he posted a league-best average of just 2.33 seconds to throw his six passes of 10 yards or more, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

-Bradford on Sunday averaged 6.5 yards per target with three receivers on the field, keeping 24 of his 30 passes for the day under 10 yards

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-...-release-helping-vikings-protect-sam-bradford

squicken

This also makes Brocks slow ass release more exposed. While he was pressured a lot he also had a clean pocket with at least 4 seconds to make a pass st least 50% of the time. Im getting serious Mallett flashbacks with him. He gets jittery, shuffling his feet than makes a stupidly inaccurate throw

BoB bugs me. He seems to want to have TEs on the field and use them in the passing game ... but they suck. Can't block and clog up the running lanes, and they aren't good in the passing game. Sure seems like they'd be better off getting Strong and Miller out there with Fuller and Hopkins and running a quick passing game

MechDX

Not a big fan of PFF but this chart shows Osweilers weekly regression I mentioned earlier:

2016-10-10_11-19-51.png

SNF should be pretty telling. Colts defense is ass. If he struggles in that game you have to consider benching him. Just have to

MechDX

I watched the Pats game, but didnt get to see much of the Vikes games. It is hard to believe he was worse on Sunday then he was against the Pats.

He was. People keep saying the o line isnt good, not arguing that, but at least 50% of the time he had 4 seconds to make a read and throw a pass. That is a lot of time in NFL standards.

Every week I watch him and he is getting more skittish and getting happier feet. Put in Savage. He has had 3 years in this offense now and knows it pretty well.

JABEE

NFL Refs

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/10/09/flag-picked-ref-forgot-team/91841410/

As Matthews turned upfield, the ball was stripped by Lions cornerback Quandre Diggs, flying out of bounds. It was close enough that there would clearly be a review, but there was also a flag on the field.
After a quick conference, referee Pete Morelli called the Eagles for an ineligible man downfield, negating the potential reception. The infraction was called against No. 98, which made no sense, since No. 98 on the Eagles is defensive player Connor Barwin, who naturally wasn’t on the field at the time.
But, without warning, the officials on the sidelines began moving the first down markers and Morelli announced the play was under review. What? Why?
Well, you’re not going to believe the reason.
Apparently, in a momentary lapse, one of the officials forgot which team was on offense and threw the flag on Lions defensive end Devin Taylor, No. 98.
“Yes, the ineligible receiver that they called downfield was Devin Taylor,” coach Jim Caldwell said after the game. “Then he realized that he called it on Devin and said that’s why they picked the flag up.”

Also, Kelce was out of bounds when the ball hit his leg on the Mathews fumble. It should not have been a turnover.

I agree, looking forward to the draft already, I hope Gase cleans out this roster.
One thing I like about Gase is he doesn't pretend like everything is okay. He tells it like it is and you can see how frustrated he is at press conferences. No tolerance for trash play. The problem is Tannenbum will hold him back until he's gone, then good luck getting a GM to come in with a HC already appointed (sound familiar...?).

One thing I like about Gase is he doesn't pretend like everything is okay. He tells it like it is and you can see how frustrated he is at press conferences. No tolerance for trash play. The problem is Tannenbum will hold him back until he's gone, then good luck getting a GM to come in with a HC already appointed (sound familiar...?).

I like everything about Gase so far off the field...on the field is TBD mostly because this roster was such ass before he ever got here. Grier is the GM now so if Tannenbum goes I hope Ross just lets Gase and Grier do their work for 2-3 years to see what they come up with if not we're back on the HC carousel again but this is all a giant mess because of Ross so once again until he sells I don't really think any of this gets fixed. Gase/Grier would have to be football gods to get this roster fixed in 2-3 years.

bionic77

I hope the Steelers put up 100. At this point I'm just in it for the laughs. Actually feels a lot better than the underachieving 8-8 seasons with collapses at the end.
If we get up big I hope Tomlin benches in the starters and sends in the scrubs.

Even scrubs should be able to hold a 20 point lead in the 4th quarter.

Tanny is going to look good at times against our defense. If he can finish drives it might be a good game.

Hard for me to judge the Steelers outside of the triple Bs. Just too many injuries at the moment.

Pepiope

@JoeBanner13
Despite the loss, yesterday was the best game Wentz has played so far.

I think I agree with Joe. IF Mathews doesn't fumble (or if the refs attempted to earn their paycheck), Wentz has another 2 TD, 0 INT game with a QB Rating over 115.

*hugs TDR and Chris and Mech*

Thank you friend :(

If we get up big I hope Tomlin benches in the starters and sends in the scrubs.

Even scrubs should be able to hold a 20 point lead in the 4th quarter.

Tanny is going to look good at times against our defense. If he can finish drives it might be a good game.

Hard for me to judge the Steelers outside of the triple Bs. Just too many injuries at the moment.

IF (HUGE FUCKEN IF) the Dolphins finally have the starting Oline play a game together (Albert, Tunsil, Pouncey, Bushrod and James) then maybe the offense might score some points to keep it interesting but even with full starters on defense I don't expect this team to keep you guys from scoring at will.

gutshot

@JoeBanner13

I think I agree with Joe. IF Mathews doesn't fumble (or if the refs attempted to earn their paycheck), Wentz has another 2 TD, 0 INT game with a QB Rating over 115.

I liked this stat I saw on Reuben's Twitter earlier today:

Top passer ratings by rookies after 4 career games
103.8 - Wentz
103.6 - Marino
103.2 - RG3
100.1 - Gabriel
99.7 - Mariota
98.5 - Prescott

bionic77

Thank you friend :(

IF (HUGE FUCKEN IF) the Dolphins finally have the starting Oline play a game together (Albert, Tunsil, Pouncey, Bushrod and James) then maybe the offense might score some points to keep it interesting but even with full starters on defense I don't expect this team to keep you guys from scoring at will.
Your best strategy is to make the receivers drop the ball when they are wide open.

Time for the cheerleaders to earn their money...

MechDX

Bottom 3 in QB rating:

Ryan Fitzpatrick 64.8
Blaine Gabbert 69.6
Brock Osweiler 70.6

At least Oz is better than Gabbert

Hindl

@JoeBanner13

I agree. It was Deacon and someone else, but they were talking a few weeks ago talking about Wentz' game. Saying that he was impressive for a rookie, but wasn't wowing them. He was mostly taking short passes and screens and doing first reads. Which was absolutely right. The first three weeks were a lot of dink and dunk, partially because that's what the defenses were giving, and that's what the WCO game plan was dictating. He would have one or two big plays a game, and otherwise was playing very competently as a really good game manager. The impressive part was the poise and confidence that he (and Dak) were showing for being such rookies. But in the Lions game he was making more impressive throws (last one notwithstanding). There was that beautiful back shoulder throw to Matthews for a 26 yard gain. The 19 yard strike to Agholor where he tossed it where only he could get it. The dart to Huff in the endzone (with a great play design by DP using Matthews as a natural pick). And that shot that hit DGB right in the chest for a would-be TD. And all this while being down for almost the entire game. He continues to pass the eye test. Now just need to get him an OL and some weapons. Hopefully Big V and Seumalo pan out

Clemmings is at least young. Long will get worse the more games he plays b/c he is old and will wear down. Clemmings could potentially get a little better as he learns his position. It's hard to trade b/c any team that trades a starting linemen is basically admitting to giving up on the year

So there should be a good chance to get Thomas.

Got it.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Snap counts: Lions get creative with lineup at tight end, guard, cornerback

— The Lions got creative at multiple positions, including tight end, where they started offensive lineman Corey Robinson and played him there extensively. The 6-foot-7, 317-pounder played 19 of the offense's 61 snaps, which easily surpasses the 10 career snaps he had played at his regular position on the offensive line. He'd never played more than five snaps in a game.

— Detroit's rotation at tight end was interesting. With Eric Ebron out, it seemed the rookie Cole Wick — who repped as the first-team tight end though out much of camp — was going to be used extensively. But he played just three snaps. Instead, the Lions started the aforementioned Robinson there, and played Clay Harbor the most at 23 snaps. He was signed last week.

— At left guard, Laken Tomlinson played just 44 percent of Detroit's offensive snaps, a career low by a country mile. He was lifted midway through the second drive of the game and did not return until the fourth quarter. Third-round pick Graham Glasgow, drafted to play center, got in on offense for the first time this year and played the other 56 percent of the snaps at guard. But Jim Caldwell said it wasn't a benching, and that this was the plan all along. For whatever that's worth.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ss...s_get_creative.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Really interesting stuff seeing how Jim Bob Cooter is coming up with in terms of the sets we're running and who's rotating in and out.

I love what Bob Quinn did with the offensive line during the draft. Taylor Decker, Joe Dahl and Graham Glasgow all seem like solid pieces already during their rookie year with Taylor Decker starting at Left Tackle all season thus far.

I think it may be time to just start either Glasgow or Dahl at Left Guard ahead of Laken Tomlinson. I don't think Tomlinson is cut out to be a starting guard and we may have to cut our losses.

This team is frustrating as hell but also really fun to watch. Hopefully we get key guys like Ziggy Ansah back to help the defense somewhat. We have talent on the defensive side we just lack any depth whatsoever.

As I mentioned in the offseason it's possible we may have 3 NFC North teams make the playoffs. If not for that ridiculous loss against the Titans, Stafford would be in the MVP discussion even though, IMO, he should already be in that discussion.

squicken

Unlike Panthers -> Falcons GAF, I think CAR is going to be fine. They've played the league's toughest schedule, and it's been their defense that has let them down. Their offense can score and the defense should improve. But this seems like a year where 10-6 isn't going to be enough for a WC, so little margin for error

In explaining the struggles of the offensive line, Gase made it clear he blames that unit for the stuggles Tannehill suffered Sunday.

"I know when we have 18 dropback passes and he's hit or sacked on nine of them and then the completions we do have, he's got guys in his face," Gase said. "I'm supposed to blame him for that? I get a look at the whole picture. I'm calling the plays and I know what it's supposed to look like and it's not looking like that now as far as what's going on around him.

"When we start cleaning some things up and start giving him a chance to perform at the level I think he's going to perform and he doesn't do it, that's one thing. But I need to see where we get a chance in protection, we're right on a lot of the other things we're supposed to be doing. Is he going to have mistakes? Yeah.

"The last interception. I told him before he went out there, 'You're going to have to fit it in.' He tried to fit it in but gets jacked. I thought he was going to get his rotator cuff blown out and knee blown out and everybody gets pissed at him.

"Everybody wants to blame that position. It's the easy one to do because you can see completion, incompletions, interception. But when you hit your back foot and get sacked, there's not much you can do about it."

I think this team finally broke Tannehill but I'm glad Gase is still standing by him I mean there is zero reason to put Moore in there unless Tannehill actually goes down

Mindlog

Tonight!
Two battered fanbases go head-to-head. One clinging to the memory of a ring crafted before the birth of Youtube. The other clinging to the memory of a ring that twice almost was, but will never be. Both bound together by a hatred of Football.

Welcome to the Alchibowl.

Dereck Anderson is going to earn Carolina some draft picks tonight. Believe that.

Andre Smith on IR, Mike Harris also not playing the rest of the year (undisclosed head injury - hope he's okay).

So... good thing Sirles played well so far.

Worked out Jake Long today.

<3 Gase

Dude speaks the truth. "Fans" calling for Moore are football illiterates.

Seems like the players are getting what Gase is telling them which is good I guess

@AdamHBeasley 4m4 minutes ago
Dolphins player on Tannehill: "Can he play better? Sure. But come on. How can you evaluate him?"

@AdamHBeasley 5m5 minutes ago
Dolphins player said when they watched film today, there was a clip of Tannehill getting blasted as he put his third step down in his drop.

Unlike Panthers -> Falcons GAF, I think CAR is going to be fine. They've played the league's toughest schedule, and it's been their defense that has let them down. Their offense can score and the defense should improve. But this seems like a year where 10-6 isn't going to be enough for a WC, so little margin for error

Don't think there's much of a Panthers-GAF left atm

Bowser is too busy being a big shot in NYC :(
Crisco went full Klan :(
I don't know where Talamius is :(
All the lifelongs bailed when Cam fumbled the ball :(

In all seriousness, I do think they'll eventually turn it around. They have too much talent not to and outside of last year, Rivera's teams have always played better on the back end of seasons than they do starting out.

But if they lose tonight, they're 3 games back in the division and like you said, this doesn't look like a year where a team can just slide in with a 9-7 record. 2 NFC North teams will have at least 11 wins and you don't know what you'll get from the Cards/Rams/Lions/Eagles of the world either.

EDIT: This all hinges on Cam actually coming back in one piece. If he has a lingering concussion, well all bets are off

Top Bottom