• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 World Cup of Hockey |OT| World Cashgrab of Who Cares - Sponsored by SAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
One thing to remember is that Finland is playing for nothing at this point, there are a ton of players on that team that depend on their health to sustain a job in the NHL or other leagues.

Don't expect them to exactly come in trying to stomp the Russians.

Hopefully enough Team NA supporters will snap up the cheap tickets and give them some motivation :p

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
loved this comment on americans cheering for team north america

"Somewhere, Phil Kessel is rolling in his gravy. "

One thing to remember is that Finland is playing for nothing at this point, there are a ton of players on that team that depend on their health to sustain a job in the NHL or other leagues.

Don't expect them to exactly come in trying to stomp the Russians.

Eh. It's world cup and we still don't have a win. Not to mention it's fricking Russia we are playing against (our second archrival after Sweden). Team is going to give 110% to the game you don't have to worry. Representing national team is huge honor in Finland and it's like second family for these guys. Reason why we have taken so many medals in these top lever tournaments despite never really having the same amount of talent as other teams is because everyone gives his 110% when playing for national team. Of course it isn't always enough but especially against Russia we have good history of upsets.

Reckheim

Eh. It's world cup and we still don't have a win. Not to mention it's fricking Russia we are playing against (our second archrival after Sweden). Team is going to give 110% to the game you don't have to worry. Representing national team is huge honor in Finland and it's like second family for these guys. Reason why we have taken so many medals in these top lever tournaments despite never really having the same amount of talent as other teams is because everyone gives his 110% when playing in national team. Of course it isn't always enough.

Hey, don't get me wrong, i'd much rather see you guys win. I just wouldn't surprised if some players weren't exactly too encouraged to step up tomorrow.

I find it funny that Russia is usually the second biggest rivalry for most countries.

Hey, don't get me wrong, i'd much rather see you guys win. I just wouldn't surprised if some players weren't exactly too encouraged to step up tomorrow.

I find it funny that Russia is usually the second biggest rivalry for most countries.

Well if you know anything about finnish history (WWII is enough) and look at the map it's not exactly weird why they are our archrival in hockey =P

zroid

Banned
Apparently the kids didn't know they haven't advanced yet. No wonder they celebrated so much after winning. Dang...

they learned the truth in the locker room afterwards

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m1 minute ago
Team USA head coach John Tortorella indignant at the notion his players are just a bunch of grinders. Just feels they didn't gel offensively

#Torts

calder

ayy lmao Dean Lombardi is doubling down on his roster decisions

good one, Dean. Good one.

Myths about roster construction exist in all sports but in hockey it's just so widespread and popular to confuse cause and effect.

- There is not enough skill to go around so all NHL teams have some depth players

- LA Kings win some Cups with a team made up of skill and some not-skill

- Some ppl look at the Kings and say "you need grit/sandpaper/character to win, the Kings won and look at their depth players! What beauties!*" which of course ignores the fact that they have so called depth players because they have to and SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE.

- When making best on best teams some guys think you need to have a team concept where bottom six guys fill bottom six roles because that's what they are familiar with

- Canada says "lol we made that mistake in Nagano, if you take top 6 guys and ask them to play hard on the 4th line they will and your 4th line will be fucking awesome"

*related topic: the reason teams love their role players is that their role players are lovable. If a fringe-AHL guy isn't well liked by staff and teammates he'll get replaced by a guy no better but more liked. Then the coaches rave about how this 3rd pairing Dman is great in the room and blah blah which is a problem because when teams start thinking they NEED guys like.

zroid

Banned
lordy this quote

69b64aa1d5c341269c5217c7e3a5c5c5.png

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
"We choose shitty, gritty players over guys like Kessel, Okposo and Faulk because we need grit to beat Canada then we got shut out by Team Europe"

One of the biggest fails for Team USA in a while.

Grit and heart are no substitute for skill.

I mean, yeah, if you have a team of primadonnas they're not going to win. But I don't think anyone on Team Canada is going to pout if they get fourth-line minutes. It was also their "fourth line" that scored against the US, so there goes that theory.

calder

lordy this quote

69b64aa1d5c341269c5217c7e3a5c5c5.png

Before the tournament started Quick and I met up to discuss thread construction and I indicated that in order to compete with the Tump and Hillary threads in OT - and those are incredibly talented threads, don't get me wrong - we'd need to bring a lot of hustle and moxie to the table.

Quick agreed 100% and we decided to go with posters like zroid and creeper, looking for form a nucleus of caring and keep us competitive with PoliGAF.

It didn't work out, but those guys have big time heart and I'd take them on my thread any day. Also the NHLGAF posters snarking on our thread in OT Community are very disappointing and they are only making themselves look bad.

Kifimbo

Grit and heart are no substitute for skill.

I mean, yeah, if you have a team of primadonnas they're not going to win. But I don't think anyone on Team Canada is going to pout if they get fourth-line minutes. It was also their "fourth line" that scored against the US, so there goes that theory.

Not to mention, who actually lacks grit and heart in Team Canada ? Jay Bouwmeester and Matt Duchene ? Both played and won with Canada in several tournaments.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Joe Thorton had the best quote when asked about the US team being built on grit, it was something alone the lines of "I can be gritty too, but I can also make passes no one else in the world can make"

yyzjohn

Banned
Joe Thorton had the best quote when asked about the US team being built on grit, it was something alone the lines of "I can be gritty too, but I can also make passes no one else in the world can make"

He then proceeded to take a cheeseburger he was saving out of his beard and finished up his snack.

zroid

Banned
🇫🇮🇫🇮🇫🇮🇫🇮🇫🇮🇫🇮🇫🇮

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom