• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Oscar Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a shame My Life as a Zucchini has no chance of wining the Best Animated Feature category, allthough it is way better then the rest of the rest of the nominies.

Could live with The Red Turtle or Kubo wining too, but we all know it will be Zootopia, which is a good film, but not in the same league as those three.

Amy Adams got robbed by the way. She was brilliant in Arrival and Nocturnal Animals.
^Zootopia is going to win because "i didn't care for this category but my kids liked the silly rabbit and fox"

Mel will win. Biggest upset on Oscar history.

We all know Chazelles got this but I would love for Mel to win. A real shot to all the thin skinned warriors who cant hear about harsh words and behavior.

I felt the same. The performances were good- Ben Foster is underrated as hell- but the movie wasn't anything mindblowing.

Ben Foster is my go to..oh that guy is in it, I love that guy! I don't follow what he's up to but always happy to see his name. He was fucking awesome in Alpha Dog.

Really cool to see Hell or High Water get a BP nod. I really enjoyed that movie. I loved Arrival.

Guessing La La Land is the darling but maybe Moonlight is the dark horse? (I didn't see either but those two seem to be the most discussed).

Kubo and the Two Strings was great too.

Osahi

Kimi no na wa/Your Name got fucking robbed in the animation category. But hey, at least Suicide Squad can now be promoted as an Oscar-nominated film!

Great, right?
........ right?

I think that, due to Academy rules, Your Name couldn't be nominated this year? He might get the nomination next year, as he comes out in the US in 2017. Not entirely sure though.

wbEMX

I think that, due to Academy rules, Your Name couldn't be nominated this year? He might get the nomination next year, as he comes out in the US in 2017. Not entirely sure though.

AFAIK, it had a one-week run in L.A., thus being able to get nominated.

Such a shame My Life as a Zucchini has no chance of wining the Best Animated Feature category, allthough it is way better then the rest of the rest of the nominies.

Could live with The Red Turtle or Kubo wining too, but we all know it will be Zootopia, which is a good film, but not in the same league as those three.

Amy Adams got robbed by the way. She was brilliant in Arrival and Nocturnal Animals.

Kubo is the weakest link in that category, yes it looks absolutely phenomenal but the movie itself is weak.

Also..why is that OJ movie in there?
Wasn't that a 30 for 30 and wasn't it 10 hours long.
It was really good but is that really a documentary movie?

GlamFM

Banned
dTBtYKJ.jpg

UberTag

Kimi no na wa/Your Name got fucking robbed in the animation category. But hey, at least Suicide Squad can now be promoted as an Oscar-nominated film!

Great, right?
........ right?
I warned you guys in the Your Name thread not to get your hopes up.
That GKIDS lobby and the Red Turtle push effectively froze it out.
If they wanted to land an Oscar nom, they needed to wait until next year with a less-crowded field.

At least the LA Film Critics gave it some love. That's your consolation prize.
That... and the fact that it's made a shit load of money.

Can the La La Land backlash start now that it got a record number of nominations?

I can't remember a movie that tried so hard to be liked and it was such a slam dunk Oscar bait. It worked I guess

Osahi

AFAIK, it had a one-week run in L.A., thus being able to get nominated.

Okay, then it should've been nominated. The animated feature category is always a mixed bag though, due to lots of votees not giving a damn about it and just voting for the name they recognize.

Haven't seen Your Name (not slated yet for release over here in Belgium, I fear I'll have to wait untill the UK blu ray drops in 8 months or so :/ ), but I hear great things from it, so it should easily have gotten the nomination in stead of Moana, which in my opinion can't hold a candle to any of the other nominies at all.

kswiston

I knew Dory was going to miss out on the Best animated feature film category. It's nice to see some smaller films up for the award. The academy will still pick Zootopia though.

Wish we got more Silence noms, for Marty and Prieto at least, and Streep bleh. But the rest is cool.

La La Land will win almost everything but actor I reckon. Maybe Manchester will pick up OS, maybe a shock Jenkins win.

omgkitty

ctrl-f "Handmaiden" - 0 results found

FUCK OFF

Not even counting foreign film, it is easily winner for production design and costume designs.

Osahi

Kubo is the weakest link in that category, yes it looks absolutely phenomenal but the movie itself is weak.

How can you say that with a straight face when Moana is in that list? :p

Kubo at least pulled some heartstrings (it's a beautiful tale about coping with loss actually), Moana had only it's music and visuals going for it imo.

breakfuss

Mahershala Ali was literally in Moonlight for what seemed like 5 minutes. I enjoyed his performance of course but it's strange.

nachum00

Elle got snubbed. Not even nominated for best foreign film.

At least Isabelle Huppert is nominated for best actress. Hoping she takes it.

Moonlights the better movie but La La Land is such an obvious win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom