• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Oscar Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has to be at least 10 guys who watch these films and want to vote for it critically vs letting their kids vote for it. At least I hope there are.

A lot of people in the academy branch don't even care for animation. In fact, it's one of the categories where they don't have to watch all the nominations all the way through, which is quite shameful.

Yeah? Whats up?
Mel Gibson has made 3 all timers! Braveheart, Apocalypto and Hacksaw Ridge.

Moonlight's log line was interesting..too bad the movie sucked and the main character was a boring moron. It thought it was some piece of art...Oh it takes place in a bad neighborhood but we will use classical music as the score.

Hmmmmmmm

Braveheart is one of the worst Best Picture winners ever though and that'll be the extent I bite on the trolling.

duckroll

Korea fucked that up for themselves when they made The Age of Shadows their eligible film for the Foreign Film Oscar instead of the movie that was significantly better.

Would probably not have been nominated anyway. Lust Caution didn't get one either. The Academy is afraid of sexy foreign films!

SeanC

Some nice little surprises in there. Viggo. Bridges. Hell or High Water. Lobster. ....Not bad.

Everyone prepare yourselves for the backlash for La La Land.

Fevaweva

Best picture:
”La La Land"

Lead actor:
Casey Affleck
Lead actress:
Emma Stone

Supporting actor:
Mahershala Ali

Supporting actress:
Octavia Spencer

Best director:
Mel Gibson

Animated feature:
”Zootopia"

Animated short:
”Borrowed Time" <-random guess

Adapted screenplay:
”Arrival"

Original screenplay:
”Manchester by the Sea"

Cinematography:
”Arrival"

Best documentary feature:
”OJ: Made in America"

Best documentary short subject:
”4.1 Miles"

Best foreign language film:
”Land of Mine"

Sound editing:
”Hacksaw Ridge"

Sound mixing:
”Hacksaw Ridge"

Production design:
”La La Land"

Visual effects:
”Jungle Book"

Original score:
”La La Land"

Original song:
City of Stars

Makeup and hair:
”Star Trek Beyond"

Costume design:
”Jackie"

My predictions.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm surprised Hell or High Water got nominated. It's kind of like the definition of an okay movie. I think the best thing about it is that it's short and it's ending is actually good for not being obvious.

People have known these nominations for weeks I think, not really any big surprises.

marrec

Banned
wrong, Moana is a much better movie than Kubo.
Kubo has some weird scenes that don't fit at all. No real tonal consistency either.

The visual artists deserve a better script because it looked great.

Moana frankly does not deserve a Nomination this year.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This will be the fact that DCU fans will beat Marvel fans to death with.

Rotten Tomatoes score?

Oscar nom motherfucker!!!

Doctor Strange has one too, and should probably win the visual effects award.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm surprised Hell or High Water got nominated. It's kind of like the definition of an okay movie. I think the best thing about it is that it's short and it's ending is actually good for not being obvious.

People have known these nominations for weeks I think, not really any big surprises.

how did it get nominated for best picture though.

Strong year for film overall but I don't feel strongly for any one film as I have in other years.

I'm definitely rooting very hard for Mahershala Ali though. I don't think I've ever missed a character when they left the screen more than I did him. Beautiful, understated performance that will stick with me a very long time.

UberTag

Not saying it should have replaced anything or be slotted in anywhere but - alongside many of the nominations - one of my favourite movies this year was 'Hunt For The Wilderpeople'. It's been a long time since I've seen a comedy film as earnest, funny and well-made as this. Its usual that comedies only get judged by how many jokes they can have in and often its as though their cinematography, editing and score are just unimportant.

The actors were also phenomenal as well, it'll become a staple of my yearly movie viewings, I'd imagine.
Please support Hunt for the Wilderpeople in the GAF Movie of the Year awards thread if you have yet to do so.

duckroll

In a just world Handmaiden would have noms for Best Foreign Film, Best Production Design, Best Costume Design, and Best Adapted Screenplay. Actually fuck it. Handmaiden should have a Best Picture nod.

Park Chan-wook not getting even a single nomination for his work on The Handmaiden is ridiculous. South Korea dropped the ball not submitting it as foreign language film, but I still thought it would get a nomination for editing or adapted screenplay.

The Korean government apparently hates Chan-wook, and reportedly he's been blacklisted from the industry now, which may have had something to do with Korea not submitting The Handmaiden as their foreign language film, although that could be a coincidence. Either way, they screwed-up.

TheFlow

Banned
Cause they stuffed 9 movies up there. Cut it down to 5 and it's out.

Also you've been underrating it ever since the Globes. It's very good.

that is what I am saying even with 9 up there it stand out the most as "why is that there"

good movie. just not great.

Jarmel

Banned
Funimation fucked up and should have tried for next year and waited for a wide release. The animation category is heavily dependent on popularity, moreso than most of the other categories.

It obviously would not have won but could have been nominated. oh well

Ohwiseone

WOW, 14. That's.. A lot for LA LA Land.

In all honesty, It probably going to win half of those.

I am kinda shocked it got TWO best song noms.

Busty

Banned
I am slightly screaming at 2x Academy Award nominee Passengers though..

Production design I can see but original score?

I remember nothing of that score and not in a good way.

Besides, I personally campaigned heavily for Andy Garcia to get a Best Supporting Actor nod for Passengers.

Shepard

Now please give everything to La la land, thank you.
Also, hell yeah for Audition being nominated, better than city of stars.

UberTag

Where the fuck is Kimi no Na wa?

Edit: Alright, answered above. Phew.
Why are you going Phew? It was eligible for this year's Oscars and it won't be eligible next year.
They got their single LA screening out of the way instead of waiting for the big theatrical rollout. No nomination for Shinkai will be had.

Yikes. Apparently the official Oscars website initially had Amy Adams listed instead of Ruth Negga.

bojackhorsemanS3E10.jpg

Had to let out a chuckle at Deadpool getting ZERO nominations...
I actually didn't realise how much people loved it and actually expected nominations. The movie had some funny moments but in a world where everyone complains about superhero movies being 'formulatic', Deadpool was pretty much the definition of that complaint in terms of its plot and the direction of it.

It was also pretty blandly directed, as per the complaint of most superhero movies.

Standout moments and fun enough but I don't even think its the best superhero film this year, it's just better than a few of them.

Not saying it should have replaced anything or be slotted in anywhere but - alongside many of the nominations - one of my favourite movies this year was 'Hunt For The Wilderpeople'. It's been a long time since I've seen a comedy film as earnest, funny and well-made as this. Its usual that comedies only get judged by how many jokes they can have in and often its as though their cinematography, editing and score are just unimportant.

The actors were also phenomenal as well, it'll become a staple of my yearly movie viewings, I'd imagine.

Probably still my favorite movie of 2016, but there's no way it was getting any Oscar love. I'd swap it out for Lion or Hacksaw Ridge in a heartbeat though. Probably Hidden Figures, Hell or High Water, and Fences as well, if push came to shove. Great movie.

In a just world Handmaiden would have noms for Best Foreign Film, Best Production Design, Best Costume Design, and Best Adapted Screenplay. Actually fuck it. Handmaiden should have a Best Picture nod.

I'm not even a huge fan of The Handmaiden, but I'd definitely prefer that for Production Design and Costume Design. It's beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom