• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Oscar Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don´t think so. I think that in years from now people will remember that La La Land revived the music-film genre.

I think it´s gonna end up being a pretty influential film.

This..along with everyone's Chazelle boner. People are going to talk about this guy they way they talk about PT Anderson. So his movies will be brought up. And he deserves it..guy is a great movie maker.

The Witch is my fave movie of 2016 but lol there was never a serious discussion to be had about it meaning something during awards season.
Oh you don't have to tell me that, I just wanted to include it when people are shouting out other great films of last year. :)

He was really good in Nocturnal Animals too. That Golden Globe win was definitely deserved. It's weird but that movie got completely overlooked, aside from Michael Shannon getting a nom. I really thought it would get more Oscar nominations. I would have expected Johnson, Adams, or Gyllenhaal to get nominated before Shannon.

Nah if you looked at the buzz around the movie it was clear Shannon was the only part that stood a chance. That's why the Globe win was so weird to me since he wasn't even the most acclaimed supporting actor in the film.

marrec

Banned
That's fine if that is your opinion and all, but I hope you realize that not many people hold the same opinion. A lot of people regard Moana as the first truly great musical Disney movie since the 90s era. I wouldn't go as far as saying it has no shot..

This seems crazy to me. Don't get me wrong it's a fun film, but so is Storks. I'd rather re-watch Storks.

Tell us why that movie is so great..
I watched it too and thought it was okay...maybe less than okay.
From trailer to movie it always looked like the kind of movie when big name actors go slumming because they have some free time. Bottom shelf at Blockbuster tier.

The script, acting, and cinematography are all among the best this year. Specifically the Bridges and Foster performances. The score is, in my opinion, the best of the year. I don't think it's going to win, but it definitely deserves a nod (so do a few other films that were snubbed though so).

A well filmed and acted neo-western is the perfect way to forget the mediocre Magnificent Seven remake and an under-utilized genre, probably helped.

Probably still my favorite movie of 2016, but there's no way it was getting any Oscar love. I'd swap it out for Lion or Hacksaw Ridge in a heartbeat though. Probably Hidden Figures, Hell or High Water, and Fences as well, if push came to shove. Great movie.
Yeah, my main issue is I've seen most of the films that seem to be killing the nominations but haven't seen enough of the others to make judgement. I've been trying to get all of my movie-loving friends to watch it but haven't been able to get too much interest other than 'Sam Neill? Awesome' or 'the director that's making Thor?'

Please support Hunt for the Wilderpeople in the GAF Movie of the Year awards thread if you have yet to do so.
Didn't realise Neogaf had Whips. I'll be sure to do so.

oti

Banned
Such a shame My Life as a Zucchini has no chance of wining the Best Animated Feature category, allthough it is way better then the rest of the rest of the nominies.

Could live with The Red Turtle or Kubo wining too, but we all know it will be Zootopia, which is a good film, but not in the same league as those three.

Amy Adams got robbed by the way. She was brilliant in Arrival and Nocturnal Animals.

Zootopia is a better movie than Kubo. And I like Kubo.

UberTag

I am not saying the movie was perfect or anything (Personally on second viewing, the Second Act drags pretty badly for about 20 minutes).

But I don't really understand the pushback against it?

Is it because it's the favorite, or is it because it's "cool" to shit on a movie that most people really like.
I was ragging on La La Land back in September... but that's largely because I could see this outcome coming from a mile away.

La la land's situation reminds me of The Artist. It gets a lot of attention right now, but I doubt anyone is still talking about it in a few years time.

that's true of 99.9% of all movies.
there are only very few special movies that people still talk about in years to come.

Zootopia is a better movie than Kubo. And I like Kubo.

if Kubo was a CGI movie nobody would care. real talk.
its strength is its looks, everything else is mediocre.

Ohwiseone

La La Land won't sweep, as I don't really see it winning either of the lead actor categories, but I do expect it to have a decent shot at 7-8 statues.

I can see it winning Best Actress, I think stone Seals it from her "Audition" Song that she sings at the end.

I think it wins Best Song, Cinematography (I mean look at some of this shit they pull off: https://davechen.net/2017/01/insane-camera-steadicam-moves-la-la-land/) Best Director, Score, and BP.

The reason why I think it wins BP, is because it's a movie about Hollywood, and It's re-launching the "movie-musical" genre more than any Disney movie could.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I am not saying the movie was perfect or anything (Personally on second viewing, the Second Act drags pretty badly for about 20 minutes).

But I don't really understand the pushback against it?

Is it because it's the favorite, or is it because it's "cool" to shit on a movie that most people really like.
Both. And people are having the biggest meltdown over it.

Meowster

Isnt Emma Stone the favorite fto win best actress?
It's likely going to Stone but both Portman and Huppert have won far more awards so far. Portman (and Huppert) is hurt because her movie was too daring for the Academy and already having an Oscar makes them more likely to want to spread the wealth and Emma Stone is a loved actress in a loved film.

Blader

I liked La La Land a lot and have no problem with it winning Best Picture (which it almost definitely will), but this will be the fourth movie in six years where a movie about show biz gets the top prize.

omgkitty

I liked La La Land a lot and have no problem with it winning Best Picture (which it almost definitely will), but this will be the fourth movie in six years where a movie about show biz gets the top prize.

Famous rich white people love it when people make movies about them.

Toothless

Amy Adams and "Drive It Like Stole It" snubs are a shame. Same with Silence getting nominated only once. Besides that, these noms are good/fine.

Huh?
Spotlight - 2016
12 Years a Slave - 2014

Famous rich white people love it when people make movies about them.

Try again with that shit.

-EDIT-
I will leave my post but I definitely misread what Blader said.
And omgkitty..fuck off. Those evil white people.

I think it might be Portman.

Yeah and it's a shame. Portman is good but that performance and the movie itself is the worst kind of mediocre oscarbait but she probably will pull it out due to voter bias. In a just world, Huppert would run away with it but I don't see the Academy giving the one of the most prestigious awards to a Verhoeven film. Stone was great to so I would be cool with her winning but again I feel La La La Land will be that movie that should sweep the awards but will end up being shut out of the major categories in favor of the blatant oscar bait films.

Osahi

wrong, Moana is a much better movie than Kubo.
Kubo has some weird scenes that don't fit at all. No real tonal consistency either.

The visual artists deserve a better script because it looked great.

Moana goes trough all the predictable motions of a modern animated feature, beat for beat, the obligated frenzic ADHD-action scene with some humor in it to keep kids attention included (It's fun you think Kubo is inconsistant, when Moana has a freakin scene OUT OF NOWHERE with some pirate coconuts). It shows a lack of confidence in your audience and your story to include set pieces for the sake of it.

That's why Moanas story feels very fragmentaric. It also puts the most interesting character arc in it's supporting character, while the main characters journey is pretty bland (achieving her dramatic need at freaking plot point 1).

It's nice to look at, sure. And the music is catchy. But I was bored half the time (fun thing is, it's usually the set pieces they include to keep kids from getting bored, that make the movie drag. Zootopia has the same problem in its first half).

All that while Kubo at least moved me on an emotional level too. Moana is one of the weaker second renaissance Disney's imo.

But the GOAT animated feature of 2016 is My Life as a Zucchini. Brave, touching and beautifully animated. It also doesn't need action set pieces or silly humor to keep the attention of the kids, it has a beautiful, confident story to do so.

It's a pretty strong showing in the animated category this year, and still it has one clear deserved winner (that will never win)

kswiston

Sound editing and sound mixing are usually spread the love around awards, but given that La La Land was a musical, I guess it could win those two as well.

Meowster

Yeah and it's a shame. Portman is good but that performance and the movie itself is the worst kind of mediocre oscarbait but she probably will pull it out due to voter bias. In a just world, Huppert would run away with it but I don't see the Academy giving the one of the most prestigious awards to a Verhoeven film. Stone was great to so I would be cool with her winning but again I feel La La La Land will be that movie that should sweep the awards but will end up being shut out of the major categories in favor of the blatant oscar bait films.
Jackie wasn't Oscar bait at all. The subject matter might be but there is a reason AMPAS didn't go ham for it. It's a unique film, very unconventional for a biopic. Pablo Larraín did a great job.

I can't remember a single song from La La Land lol. Loved the movie but I'm not sure how to parse credit for the musical elements. Loved the piano stuff but beyond that idk

rashbeep

Banned

You didn't think LLL was one of those?

FUCK YES! LA LA LAND! That film is a masterpiece, it deserves to sweep.

I see the internet is quickly deciding that disliking the film is now the cool thing to do!

kswiston

La La Land's max win total is basically 12. It competes against itself in best song, and Gosling has zero chance of winning.

So one more loss in one of the more technical categories, and you have a tie with Titanic/Ben Hur/Return of the King, even if you figure Emma Stone for best actress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom