• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 FIFA World Cup Preliminary Draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Lou

The draw is about to take place.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminary-draw/index.html?intcmp=fifacom_hp_module_news_top

In USA: Telemundo, Fox Sports GO, NBC Deportes En Vivo Extra, NBC UNIVERSO, Fox Sports 1 USA
In UK: BBC One (Red Button link), Sky Sports News HQ
Canada: TSN1, TSN4

Presenters:
  • Natalia Vodianova, supermodel and philanthropist
  • Dmitry Shepelev, Channel One presenter

Artists:
  • Valery Gergiev
  • Polina Gagarina
  • Hibla Gerzmava
  • Vasily Gerello
  • Igor Butman
  • St. Petersburg Eifman Ballet (Sergey Volobuev & Nina Zmievetz)
  • Terem-Quartet (Supported by Leningrad Centre)

The wait is almost over. The road to Russia is about to begin.

A total of 141 teams will discover the path they must take to the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ on Saturday when the Preliminary Draw takes place at the Konstantin Palace in St. Petersburg at 18.00 local time (17.00 CET).

All the ingredients are in place. A spectacular draw show which highlights the delights of Russia, hosted by supermodel Natalia Vodianova and Dmitry Shepelev, will be broadcast to 164 countries and a global audience of 94.8 million.

The 2,000 guests at the Palace, which has previously played host to the G8 and G20 summits, will be treated to displays of ballet, opera and Russian music before the business of the draw begins.

Teams from Africa, North, Central America and the Caribbean, Oceania, South America and Europe will learn their fate with some of the most famous faces in world football assisting FIFA Secretary-General Jérôme Valcke.

As usual, FIFA.com is the place to follow the action. A team of dedicated editors are on-site in St. Petersburg to bring you the news and views on the draw, with our live blog beginning at 14.00 local time (13.00 CET).

Shedule:

18.00 = 4pm UK time

18.00 - Prelirninary Draw show begins
18.01- Artistic act by Terem-Quartet, supported by Leningrad Center
18.16 - General draw procedure video 18.18 - Intercontinental play-off draw
18.20 - African zone draw (assistants: Rinat Dasaev & Samuel Eto.o)
18.40 - Artistic act by Hibla Gerzrnava & Vasily Gerello
18.47 - North, Central Arnerican and Caribbean zone draw (assistants: Fabio Cannavaro & Madjer)
19.01- Artistic act by St. Petersburg Eifman Ballet
19.05 - Oceanian zone draw (assistants: Alexey Smertin & Predrag Rajkovic)
19.12 - South American zone draw (assistants: Ronaldo & Diego Forlan)
19.22 - Artistic act by Igor Butman
19.27 - European zone draw (assistants: Alexander Kerzhakov & Oliver Bierhoff)
19.52 - Artistic act by Polina Gagarina and Valery Gergiev
19.56 - Preliminary Draw show finishes

I read that all. Still don't know. Draw for what? The interational playoffs?

Qualifying groups for Russia 2018. Not sure why it's called preliminary, possibly because FIFA might decide to change the groups around if the draw doesn't work in favour of broadcasters/sponsors...

Niks

SO much goodness in one picture.

2667462_big-lnd.jpg

Ffs just do the draw. Doesn't need music/dance acts and bullshit speeches.

Edit: that traditional Russian song 'get the party started' with additional beatboxing. The opening ceremony will be hilarious.

Azuran

Banned
I love how they gotta get some mandatory balls in those music acts so no one forgets this is related to soccer.

rossonero

The draw times for the different foundations:

17.20 Centralamerika
17.22 Afrika
17.50 Nordamerika
18.05 Oceanien
18.13 Sydamerika
18.27 Europa

It's 17:23 right now.

Blue Lou

CONCACAF to play AFC, and OFC to play CONMEBOL in the in WC play-off to determine the last two teams to play in the World Cup. Those playoffs will take place after the rest of qualification competitions have taken place.

Of course we get Mexico and Honduras.

On the bright side, 2022 is not that far away.

I don't think we would have had much chance of making it even if we were drawn in a easier group.

Horrible draw for El Salvador.

Shit, I'll be happy if they manage to beat Curacao.

If it's any consolation, you're drawn with Canada as well. If nothing else, you won't place last in the group.

Osorio

If it's any consolation, you're drawn with Canada as well. If nothing else, you won't place last in the group.

That wouldn't matter. I want to see my boys in the Hex!

Then again, Honduras look horrid at the Gold Cup.

Canada is a striker away from having a good shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom