• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Live Another Day |OT| Game of Drones

Gambit

JUst watched Episode 4. I think this has been my favourite so far. Especially since it at least contained some logical steps, like actually telling the president what's going on. his being 24, he still ignores it, but at least it was believable.

Oh and poor evil Sansa.

That was a hot scene when FemBauer was protecting Jack. I felt something.

Also LOL at the 2.4ghz single core processor at the US Embassy. Straight from my 2002 Dell Dimension.

Loving this season so far. I'm tempted to binge-watch S1-8 again on Netflix, but my life would be ruined for like a month.
Sorry for the news, but 24 is gone from Netflix.

Tugatrix

Tates Donovan was a douchebag all the way back when he was in Memphis Belle.

Totally got a friendly bomber cut in half. Way to go, Tates.

Screen-Shot-2013-03-14-at-15.16.52.png

Video Proof: Tates Donovan is a walking human calamity

Agent: "Hey look we have a job offer for you, they are very interested in you after the casting"
TD: "What's the role? the one on the WWII?"
Agent: "Yes, it's the pilot on that war movie, He's slightly douche bag but will be good, you'll get more work down the line"
TD: "Why do I have the feeling I will be doing douche bags the rest of my career..."
20 years later
Agent: "There's a new job for you get excited it's big"
TD: "Where?"
Agent: "On 24, it's a big role you'll play Mark Boderau President Chief of Staff"
TD: "Sound great, I'm excited"
Agent: "There's only one thing you won't like, the character it's a douche bag"
TD: "Oh for fuck sake....."

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They said out right that the transmission of the encrypted files was blocked. They needed to decrypt first before sending it.

Yeah but that doesn't make sense. Far from the silliest IT goof they've ever done, mind you. But just once, I wish TV or movies would have realistic hacking or networking or just IT in general, since it's so damn rare. XD

FafaFooey

Ugh. This show. Didn't the producers tease this season by saying stuff like "this is going to be the most personal season for Jack since Season 1" and "we're going back to our basics"?

Maybe I've been spoiled by other great shows during 24's absence but this season seems awful to me. Every single 24 cliche has been revived including the ones that were annoying to begin with, like the whole "OMG WE SHOULD'VE LISTENED TO HER, SHE WAS RIGHT ABOUT JACK", the internal struggle between two advisors close to the president and the hilariously --not terrifying in any way- awful villain. Oh great, another stereotypical terrorist seeking revenge while being an abusive parent.

Biggest eyeroll: Emo-gothic Chloe and her hipsters friends. SHE'S A GRITTY HACKER, YOU SEE? Terrible character.

I guess this is what 24 has always been, but it's hopelessly stuck in the 2000's with it's horrible tropes.

Tugatrix

Ugh. This show. Didn't the producers tease this season by saying stuff like "this is going to be the most personal season for Jack since Season 1" and "we're going back to our basics"?

Maybe I've been spoiled by other great shows during 24's absence but this season seems awful to me. Every single 24 cliche has been revived including the ones that were annoying to begin with, like the whole "OMG WE SHOULD'VE LISTENED TO HER, SHE WAS RIGHT ABOUT JACK", the internal struggle between two advisors close to the president and the hilariously --not terrifying in any way- awful villain. Oh great, another stereotypical terrorist seeking revenge while being an abusive parent.

Biggest eyeroll: Emo-gothic Chloe and her hipsters friends. SHE'S A GRITTY HACKER, YOU SEE? Terrible character.

I guess this is what 24 has always been, but it's hopelessly stuck in the 2000's with it's horrible tropes.

Shot him in the knee and show him the way out

Just kidding, I get it, some of those 24 clichés are quite tiring, but still has been a very entertaining ride to nostalgia

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!

MlRorYA.jpg

Random question for any US Gaffers - do any of you guys watch 24 with a full 5.1 surround sound setup?

The version of Ep4 that's being broadcast in the UK has basically zero activity on the LFE channel (plays out on the subwoofer). There's LFE on spot-effects like gunshots/explosions and on the intro/end credits, but there's nothing on all the background music etc. It's weird because all three previous episodes have had borderline excessive amounts of LFE throughout (as you would want/expect from 24!). You don't normally get this kind of inconsistency between episodes of the same series.

Could any of you guys confirm whether the US mix is the same? Just wondering if it's a fault with the UK version or if the original dubbing mixers fucked the ep up.

Out of curiosity, how are you watching the broadcast of episode four if it isnt on until Wednesday on Sky One?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

i7qIFjIqBsPDd.gif

It's funny, the opinion I've seen for the this season has been pretty polarized but people tend to hate it or love it for the same reasons.

People love it because its classic 24.

People hate it because its classic 24.

oatmeal

Banned
It's funny, the opinion I've seen for the this season has been pretty polarized but people tend to hate it or love it for the same reasons.

It is pretty funny.

I am really enjoying it, but it strikes me as so unnecessary. Nothing special about it, just another season. That's not a bad thing really, it just...why is this happening?

no one actually knows, but there are listed Years (or months) between "Days", so it's in universe something like 18 years since Day 1. Day 1 doesn't have a year listed, but it was aired on TV in 2001/2002, and deemed to be "roughly present day" at that time, so thats where we get the "about 2020" year from.

The show mostly acts like it's set in the present day, though with the occasional "fantastical elements" like certain gear/gizmo's.

Timeline for a better look at the timeline.

Noticing that within "20 years time" the 24 version of America has had 2 President's assassinated, 1 former president assassinated, and 2 resignations.

In fairness, in the show across various seasons they outright say "Operation Nightfall" - the Drazen assassination - takes place in 1999. In Season 3, Stephen Saunders, who was believed dead in the operation, is revealed as having been in hiding for over four years. Season 1 is meant to take place on the anniversary of Nightfall, too. Anyway, the math is a little mind-bending but does work out perfectly and places Season 1 squarely in 2002. That's all in-show, so you can absolutely call those dates 'canon'. I'm not sure if, post-Season 3, they definitively say how much time there is between seasons on-screen. It was always a year or 18 months, but that was also the writers saying that in interviews and things, so you can question its ability to be concrete in-show. The nightfall/1/2/3 timing is actually laid out pretty clearly in the show if you look for it, though.

shamo42

also, why not transmit the encrypted info and decrypt it later instead of downloading a program to decrypt it on the spot in a shitty pc?

That's what Jack tried in the first place. But the data was just too heavily encrypted to transmit. It broke the connection!

Seriously, is it possible that one part of the encryption was to artificially increase file size to make it harder to transfer the data? And that a file size of let's say a few 100 GBs was too much to handle for the communication center (and a single core cpu)?

Or is it possible that the flight stick had it's own small OS which blocks copying attempts?

Servbot24

Banned

With Jack back in custody next episode I'm guessing that's when things will slow down a little and we'll get a bit of backstory on his last four years.

t-storm

So true.

omg omg so happy 24 is coming back, can't wait!!!1

ugh, this is too 24.

WTF?

There's always some in every thread.

Nameless

Seriously. New viewers aside, a lot of the things people are bitching about makes me wonder how and why they've made to season 9

There shouldn't be any secrets at this point about what the show is and what it's trying to accomplish.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i love how jack ratchets up the intensity to 11 even when the situation requires only a 8 or a 9. i need to panic a mob with gun fire - may as well actually shoot some people too! (in the leg, dun worry). i need to take hostages - may as well shoot some marines too! (they have bullet proof vests, dun worry).

zma1013

Someone make a gif of where he shoots those protestors in the kneecaps, and then switch to where Jack is telling the President that he just "grazed them." It will be gold I tell ya.

Vally

Someone make a gif of where he shoots those protestors in the kneecaps, and then switch to where Jack is telling the President that he just "grazed them." It will be gold I tell ya.

Stolen from reddit
i17xKw1SjL96M.jpg

and then straight after: "Mr. President I NEVER lied to you, I always told you the truth" lol

oatmeal

Banned
Watched the pilot of Chuck on netflix.

Awesome.

And that role suits Fembauer a lot more than 24s. She's playing someone sexy and hot rather than on 24 where we are ignoring that and she's just this bad ass. Doesn't work here. But I see why you referenced her in Chuck because she's a spy.

But that's a more fun role than what she is doing here.

Van Owen

Banned
Watched the pilot of Chuck on netflix.

Awesome.

And that role suits Fembauer a lot more than 24s. She's playing someone sexy and hot rather than on 24 where we are ignoring that and she's just this bad ass. Doesn't work here. But I see why you referenced her in Chuck because she's a spy.

But that's a more fun role than what she is doing here.

Don't sleep on her work as Miranda Lawson either.

Next

That's what Jack tried in the first place. But the data was just too heavily encrypted to transmit. It broke the connection!

Seriously, is it possible that one part of the encryption was to artificially increase file size
yes, but I don't think it increases by much, unless the data is huge to begin with. It also depends on the type of encryption.
to make it harder to transfer the data?
no.
And that a file size of let's say a few 100 GBs was too much to handle for the communication center (and a single core cpu)?
It would never be too much, only take more or less time, not sure the cpu has much to do with it anyway.
Or is it possible that the flight stick had it's own small OS which blocks copying attempts?
if it can be read it can be copied.

If I'm wrong in any of this please someone correct me.

At any rate, you kinda have to look away in stuff like this, it's never gonna be realistic. Chloe hacks whatever she wants in minutes lol. It's not a big deal, just something funny until we get back to shooting people's knees.

Rich!

Every time a new episode of 24 starts up, I'm still in disbelief it's actually come back. It's insane.

4 years after it finished, and after all efforts on the film dried up, it looked S8 was the end of it....and yet, here we are - Season 9, and it is as good as it's ever been. And not only that, but you have characters like Adrian Cross, Mark Bordreau, Kate Morgan and Steve Navarro who fit into the 24 world so fucking well that you start to wonder if they've been there all along

it's good

Rich!

Just rewatched a few classic Bauer/Palmer scenes as 24 is still on Netflix here in the UK.

Started with their first meeting in Season 1 at CTU, through the scene where he pardons Nina for the murder of Bauer, and all through other classic scenes right up to their final conversation in S4 and then Bauer's interrogation of Logan in S5.

David Palmer was just an absolutely tremendously powerful force in the show - everytime he appeared on screen your entire attention is immediately drawn straight to him. Haysbert's performance in the show is pretty much second only to Sutherland and Itzin.

You don't quite realize just how amazing Palmer was until you rewatch his scenes again.

strafer

David Palmer was just an absolutely tremendously powerful force in the show - everytime he appeared on screen your entire attention is immediately drawn straight to him. Haysbert's performance in the show is pretty much second only to Sutherland and Itzin.

I love that scene when they fake his death for the Drazens but then Palmers wife tell them he is alive.

David then rushes into her room and confronts her.

That scene man, he really scared me there.

This show is predictable and cliched to hell and back, but damn if it isn't entertaining and addicting as fuck.

The only thing that bugged me this ep is how Margot insists on having someone do her most important task against his will. I mean, how fucking stupid is that? You'd think she'd at least have a backup pilot for arguably the most important job in her scheme- you know, someone actually committed to the cause.

Vibranium

Banned
This show is predictable and cliched to hell and back, but damn if it isn't entertaining and addicting as fuck.

The only thing that bugged me this ep is how Margot insists on having someone do her most important task against his will. I mean, how fucking stupid is that? You'd think she'd at least have a backup pilot for arguably the most important job in her scheme- you know, someone actually committed to the cause.

See, this man knows what's up and why us 24 fans stick to the show so loyally.

And to the below, yeah, that shit doesn't make sense. Perhaps she's trying to pin it on him now? Who knows haha.

Bishop89

this is so fucking annoying.

S1 - need to play each episode individually
S2 - Play All Option
S3 - Play all Option
S4 - need to play each episode individually.

Who the hell designed the dvds!! :mad:

Top Bottom