• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Live Another Day |OT| Game of Drones

t-storm

I remember reading somewhere at some point that even the producers have said they realize the meaning and significance of the silent clock.

I don't see how they wouldn't give one to Heller.

He's alive dammit!

I remember reading somewhere at some point that even the producers have said they realize the meaning and significance of the silent clock.

I don't see how they wouldn't give one to Heller.

He's alive dammit!

I was actually reading up on some random 24 trivia while I rewatched season 4, and I came across an interesting tidbit about how in season 4, they left President Keeler's fate ambiguous on-screen because Fox wouldn't allow them to kill the active sitting President on-screen.

I'm wondering if Fox changed their stance to allow this, or if there's actually some trick to it.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
lol stop thinking too much guys, he is dead. Simple as that. And I don't see anything wrong with that. I am even more excited to see what's next. What he did, was the most obvious thing to do at that time. Even Jack agreed.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I was actually reading up on some random 24 trivia while I rewatched season 4, and I came across an interesting tidbit about how in season 4, they left President Keeler's fate ambiguous on-screen because Fox wouldn't allow them to kill the active sitting President on-screen.

I'm wondering if Fox changed their stance to allow this, or if there's actually some trick to it.
Lol Obama is in office now. "Meh, sure, kill the sitting president. Who cares? He's bla-- Er, Hawaiian."

The trick is he's alive.

Jack knew that that soon to the deadline, even if Chloe got something off of Margot's system, they wouldn't have time to act on it. That's why Chloe was actually hacking into the system to loop a feed of Heller on the field. There is an entire 1:10 between the last time we see Heller live with our own eyes and when the missile hit. When they cut to the missile hitting, that's the first time we see the field live and not on drone feed. The first frame the ground is already 20 feet in the air. We also never see Jack after that. Wouldn't they normally have a reaction from him?

Also, all the shit next week is that they're keeping everyone in the dark so Margot can't be tipped off. So they'll go through the episode, get her, and then come out showing Heller ran back off the field.

That's why no silent clock. That's why they "killed" a president on screen...because they didn't. Nothing's changed since that season 4.

That's right I said it.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I'm looking back on the episode, I'm confident he's alive now. There are too many holes when you look closer.

The only way i can see him being alive is:

There is a brief moment when the feed of the incoming missile switches to one without the telemetry on the screen Margot and son are watching. MAYBE Chloe pulled some trickery at the last moment, but it seems unlikely. Even more unlikely is the fact that Margot nor her son would notice the switch in feed from one with telemetry to one without, even for a brief moment.

With telemetry
24screen1_zps861a3172.png

Without
24screen2_zpsc8c86f61.png

Edit: Seems you replied while i was busy typing and uploading, lol

Thezez

Banned
Things I liked about this epsiode:
- Wake the bitch up!
- Ripping out the transponder
- Chloe's casual "Go away I'm helping Jack"
- The music
- The boom.

Things I disliked about this episode:
- Kim Ravers acting when confronting Mark, holy hell that was weak.

The trick is he's alive.

Jack knew that that soon to the deadline, even if Chloe got something off of Margot's system, they wouldn't have time to act on it. That's why Chloe was actually hacking into the system to loop a feed of Heller on the field. There is an entire 1:10 between the last time we see Heller live with our own eyes and when the missile hit. When they cut to the missile hitting, that's the first time we see the field live and not on drone feed. The first frame the ground is already 20 feet in the air. We also never see Jack after that. Wouldn't they normally have a reaction from him?

Also, all the shit next week is that they're keeping everyone in the dark so Margot can't be tipped off. So they'll go through the episode, get her, and then come out showing Heller ran back off the field.

That's why no silent clock. That's why they "killed" a president on screen...because they didn't. Nothing's changed since that season 4.

That's right I said it.

Makes sense

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
What the fuck is this Silent Clock thing that everybody has been talking about? Never heard of those words before. What is silent clock, and its importance.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Man. I hope Heller is alive. I doubt it, but I really liked Heller. That was brutal. If he's not alive, he definitely deserved a silent clock. If they didn't give him a silent clock for "suspense" then they need to do one once they officially acknowledge it in episode in memory.

Eiolon

What the fuck is this Silent Clock thing that everybody has been talking about? Never heard of those words before. What is silent clock, and its importance.

When a major character dies they will typically get a silent clock. That means you do not hear it count down.

effzee

If he is dead, which would be amazing, the best thing to do would be to turn the season completely around and make it about the Russians chasing Jack in London for the last few episodes!

Maddocks

Time for jack to go full on big boss and ignore that pardon and get revenge. I would like to have jack back home in the US kicking ass and taking names, but I think he is going to scorch the earth right now.

The Cowboy

Time for jack to go full on big boss and ignore that pardon and get revenge. I would like to have jack back home in the US kicking ass and taking names, but I think he is going to scorch the earth right now.
Season 8 beast mode Jack, back for a second helping!.

t-storm

The trick is he's alive.

That's right I said it.
Somebody give this man the prize.

This really shit CGI is really starting to become a problem. The explosions have been so-so, but that blood when Jack cut into Heller's arm was fucking terrible. Couldn't they have done that with some trickery live? Good lord. Unless it was the crappy hotel TV I watched it on that made it look bad, mind - but I'm prety sure it just looked awful period. Plus I remember the blood looking bad once before. Think it may have been when Navid was shot.. I'd rather they cut away than we have to witness some half-ass CGI gore.

Heller's not that major of a character. Chloe and Jack are the only characters remaining that deserve a silent clock.

I do think people need to remember this. And even then, it's no guarantee. People like Sherry Palmer (who I believe still has some of the most appearances of any character) didn't get them, and neither did any of the deaths at the onset of Season 5 like Palmer himself or Michelle. Tony, who was INTENDED to be dead in Series 5 initially, didn't get one either... whereas Renee got one when she didn't even die.

It's more for effect, and it depends on the moment. Silent clocks really happen after massive explosions or whatever, it's usually quieter, sadder moments.

Teri's death - quiet, sad discovery. George leaving CTU - quiet and understated. Chapelle killed - solitary and quiet. Edgar & many CTU staff - silent deaths as they choke. Etcetera. It more depends on the moment than the character - it has to be a combination of the right moment and the right character for it.

Horseress

This really shit CGI is really starting to become a problem. The explosions have been so-so, but that blood when Jack cut into Heller's arm was fucking terrible. Couldn't they have done that with some trickery live? Good lord. Unless it was the crappy hotel TV I watched it on that made it look bad, mind - but I'm prety sure it just looked awful period. Plus I remember the blood looking bad once before. Think it may have been when Navid was shot..I'd rather they cut away than we have to witness some half-ass CGI gore.
BCQcZzJ.gif

It was good enough dude, chill

Things I disliked about this episode:
- Kim Ravers acting when confronting Mark, holy hell that was weak.

now that's true.

BCQcZzJ.gif

It was good enough dude, chill

I'm not, like, mega mad about it, I'm just a sweary soul, ahaha. But, really, I'm also one of those people who gets massively bummed out when shows/movies do things that could've easily been done live, or things that could've easily been cut around with the same impact, with CGI that just isn't very good and is very obvious.

To put it another way: Jack shooting Chapelle is absolutely devastating, brutal and horrifying, but it's all done through careful cuts, clever angles, an incredibly harsh gunshot sound effect with a ton of echo, and then, afterwards, some fake blood (really, too little, but that was TV ten years ago, you couldn't do lots). I sort of feel like if that'd been done this season, it would've been a CGI blood splatter in a much less tasteful shot, and that's a bummer.

Anyway - it's nice to see home, too. Some lovely shots of London tonight. I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing this show in this setting.

Speaking of Jack shooting Chapelle - this had a lot of shades of that. The man on a death sentence, the last minute attempt to save, the journey in the chopper - if you're going to ape the old series, that's one of the best moments to do!

gorfyako

Banned
I do think people need to remember this. And even then, it's no guarantee. People like Sherry Palmer (who I believe still has some of the most appearances of any character) didn't get them, and neither did any of the deaths at the onset of Season 5 like Palmer himself or Michelle. Tony, who was INTENDED to be dead in Series 5 initially, didn't get one either... whereas Renee got one when she didn't even die.

It's more for effect, and it depends on the moment. Silent clocks really happen after massive explosions or whatever, it's usually quieter, sadder moments.

Teri's death - quiet, sad discovery. George leaving CTU - quiet and understated. Chapelle killed - solitary and quiet. Edgar & many CTU staff - silent deaths as they choke. Etcetera. It more depends on the moment than the character - it has to be a combination of the right moment and the right character for it.

How about that one dude the episode before Renee's? I don't even remember his name and he got one; we were just introduced to him that season, for crying out loud! And Edgar? C'mon...

So yeah, president's still alive. I'm sticking with that. No way they're having all that build-up, all that emotion throughout the episode, and not giving us the catharsis of a silent clock if he's dead, no way. He has to be alive.

Dalek

Heller drove off a cliff and lived. Like a boss. He'a the second toughest son of a bitch in the Bauerverse. I doubt he even has Alzheimer's - his body would destroy that weakness. That Missle probally hit his head and blew up and he's still standing strong.

That CGI doesn't deserve a silent clock.

I love the look the one random secret service agent gives when Jack's on the phone.

Oh damn, that Jack/Heller confrontation is so tense.

Top Bottom