• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Live Another Day |OT| Game of Drones

Radec

Damn Heller.

He got some balls. No silent clock is a letdown though :/

i8gsM54zpR2qs.gif

I laughed at this moment too.
KuGsj.gif

You're missing the significant difference between this and S6.

S6 - Nuke happens within the first 4 hours. 20 episodes left.

S9 - President blown up on ep 8. Only four episodes left.

The reason S6 was so shit (amongst many other reasons) is because the big event happened at the start.

I am fine with the big event being right at the start. The biggest issue with the nuke going off so early is that they never properly handled the aftermath of it. Granted, I have not watched S6 since it first aired (it still hurts to this day), but didn't they just hand wave the issue away. "Oh, the wind is blowing the fallout to sea. No worries!"

Refresh me, because I don't remember them making too much of a big deal about a nuke going off. Like one episode or so.

But S6 still had many other issues besides that.

6 was shit because it was so bad. Has nothing to do with the sequence of events or anything.

Everything about the writing was terrible.

BY THE WAY, let me remind everyone that Heller also drove his ass off a god damn cliff into the murky ocean in season 5. He lived.

Tookay

S6 was the definition of throwing shit to the wall.

-There was the nuke going off and hundreds of thousands of people die.
-And there's internment camps for Muslims.
-And Jack's brother being one of the Bluetooth guys in S5.
-And Jack's dad behind the Bluetooth crew.
-And Jack's brother's wife is hot and seemingly implied to have a relationship with Jack.
-And there's a conspiracy in the White House with people trying to kill the president or something.
-And that nuke that went off? Subsequently forgotten and handwaved and Aaron Pierce is getting groceries a couple hours later for Martha. Society goes on.
-And that White House conspiracy? Mostly forgotten.
-And those internment camps? What were those again?
-And Logan shows up because everybody loved (to hate) him in S5, but he's given nothing to do and is stabbed or whatever so let's drop it.
-And there are Islamic terrorists led by a dude whose brother Jack killed.
-And there's a Russian guy behind those terrorists.
-And there's the Chinese, who want something.
-Oh and they have Audrey who is now a vegetable.
-And the Chinese - you know, a sovereign nation - attack CTU.
-And the Chinese hold Jack's nephew hostage. Oh yeah he has a nephew.
-And then Jack's dad gets blown up on an oil rig so things are over.

I mean what the fuck.

Kifimbo

So, lets just assume (correctly) that Heller is dead. These are the remaining plotlines for the rest of the season:

- Margot and Ian. Looks like they may try another attack regardless - but I expect their arc to finish next week.

- Adrian Cross, Steve Navarro and Chloe. This is obviously leading to something - likely involving Chloe. And Kate of course.

- Bauer and the Russians.

Am I missing anything? I'm guessing Adrian and the Russians will be the endgame this season.

You're missing the Chief of Staff forging the president signature, and the Russians know.
And we see the Vice President, but I'm not sure someone was cast for such a role.

Coto: Yes, not everyone gets a silent clock. It’s for certain characters. We have a new post-[production] team that may not be up to speed on the whole silent clock thing [laughs].
So basically it sounds like the post-production team didn't know and Coto forgot to tell them or something. Heller obviously deserved it. Kinda lame he didn't get one because of what's apparently a goof by the production crew.

Zodzilla

-And Jack's brother's wife is hot and seemingly implied to have a relationship with Jack.
-And there's a conspiracy in the White House with people trying to kill the president or something.
-And that nuke that went off? Subsequently forgotten and handwaved and Aaron Pierce is getting groceries a couple hours later for Martha. Society goes on.
-And Logan shows up because everybody loved (to hate) him in S5, but he's given nothing to do and is stabbed or whatever so let's drop it.

I mean what the fuck.

Yep, a lot of people seemingly forgive S6 for being "not that bad." Barring the first 4 eps (which are still amazing) and the Fayed fight ep, it's worse than bad, it's atrocious.

I mean, there was a whole subplot about a staffer who has an affair with the VP. It was so pointless and soap opera-y that it went beyond the "amnesia" levels of soap that 24 usually gets stuck in.

Vibranium

Banned
Great episode, so I guess Heller is done, unfortunate that he got no silent clock but whatever.

Jack needs to kick it into gear, time for him to raze the streets, and those damn Russians. I feel that Navarro the Mole and Cross will be mixed in with Kate's husband and the Ruskies.

So basically it sounds like the post-production team didn't know and Coto forgot to tell them or something. Heller obviously deserved it. Kinda lame he didn't get one because of what's apparently a goof by the production crew.

Embarrassing that he laughed. It's a huge oversight.

Vally

I think that's just a bullshit excuse, I would be embarrased to say 'sorry, our post-production team is incompetent and we forgot to tell them about the silent clock, lol'. Anyway it's not like they would say 'Yeah he's alive, you'll see him next week' if Heller was indeed alive. Besides, what Coto says is contradictory, first he says that it was intentional because not everybody gets a silent clock and then he says that it was a mistake... nah, I don't buy it.

Some screencaps hinting at a loop on the drone feed

God, this is starting to remind me of the whole TeamReal vs. TeamCG thing lol

So, lets just assume (correctly) that Heller is dead. These are the remaining plotlines for the rest of the season:

- Margot and Ian. Looks like they may try another attack regardless - but I expect their arc to finish next week.

- Adrian Cross, Steve Navarro and Chloe. This is obviously leading to something - likely involving Chloe. And Kate of course.

- Bauer and the Russians.

Am I missing anything? I'm guessing Adrian and the Russians will be the endgame this season.

The Chinese are also involved in the Adrian-Steve-Chloe-Kate plot so they could reintroduce them too. It seems like you've got all of the main dangling plotlines though.

Rich!

The Chinese are also involved in the Adrian-Steve-Chloe-Kate plot so they could reintroduce them too. It seems like you've got all of the main dangling plotlines though.

Well...about that. There's been rumours.

Anyway. Who's the VP? I'm saying Novick still. Same party, and it's something 24 writers would do for the hell of it no matter how stupid it would be.

And also - this episode was the 200th episode and was written by the shows creator, Rob Cochran. I think it shows, despite it being a repeat of Chappelle's final episode.

This episode felt like it's straight from season 2 or 3. It was absolute classic 24.

Tookay

I think that's just a bullshit excuse, I would be embarrased to say 'sorry, our post-production team is incompetent and we forgot to tell them about the silent clock, lol'. Anyway it's not like they would say 'Yeah he's alive, you'll see him next week' if Heller was indeed alive. Besides, what Coto says is contradictory, first he says that it was intentional because not everybody gets a silent clock and then he says that it was a mistake... nah, I don't buy it.

Dude these are the writers who forgot Heller was even alive until they started planning this season.

They make a great show but they're prone to forgetting things and misjudging when to give out silent clocks (Tony's apparent "death" in S5).

Yep, a lot of people seemingly forgive S6 for being "not that bad." Barring the first 4 eps (which are still amazing) and the Fayed fight ep, it's worse than bad, it's atrocious.

I mean, there was a whole subplot about a staffer who has an affair with the VP. It was so pointless and soap opera-y that it went beyond the "amnesia" levels of soap that 24 usually gets stuck in.

Yeah I meant to include that one in the list but I forgot who did what. It was just soapy schlock that showed how desperate they were in trying remix 24's greatest hits and find some angle that worked.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Some screencaps hinting at a loop on the drone feed

God, this is starting to remind me of the whole TeamReal vs. TeamCG thing lol

Those *could* be continuity errors.

Maddocks

Heller could be alive, I hope so that way when jack is choking the life out of Margrets son(because we all know he wants to continue the attack) he can bring it up and then kill him.

Speevy

Banned
Maybe Catelyn will be like "Yes, we got him!"

Just then a grizzled, burned Heller walks in and throws Robb out the window.

I can see them going the route of keeping Heller alive but I really think it would have been better had they not done so. There's more than enough plot threads left to wrap up 4 more episodes without his involvement and the arc would be stronger if he did die.

Regardless of the outcome, I think mistakes were made with handling Heller's death/'death'.

If Heller is dead, the lack of a silent clock, the fact that Heller isn't actually seen directly for about a minute up to the strike, and the lack of a reaction shot from Jack all serve to undermine the drama by raising questions, and it looks like this was intentionally done. It takes away from what should be an emotional moment for viewers with the ambiguity, instead of allowing them to reflect on the selfless sacrifice and dignified end of what (despite some flaws) is actually one of the few heroic and decent people in 24, as well as Heller's decision to go out on his own terms rather than lose himself to progressive stages of Alzheimer's.

If Heller isn't actually dead, then it seems like a cop out, involving Chloe working completely implausible computer magic within the space of a minute. It also feels like it's denying the audience information that they have a 'right' to, since Jack warning Heller and getting him out the way of the blast is a major action by the star protagonist of the show during an episode's runtime. 24 usually involves some level of dramatic irony where the audience knows more than the protagonists. One exception I can think of is Jack's actions during the first half of S3 (which were also a secret to most other characters), but that strikes me as fair game since the planning occurred before S3.

Also, one of the reasons why Heller goes along with the plan is because he doesn't have much to lose; he even states that he has about a year at most before he can no longer recognise those in his life. So even if he were to be saved at the last minute, that is undermined by the knowledge that he's living on borrowed time, essentially.

Tookay

Yeah, there's no point in Heller surviving this.

Any sort of "yay he's alive" is colored by the fact that he's going to slowly lose his mind anyway.

Not to mention it cheapens the whole moment.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Damn. He's really dead, then from that coto quote. I always liked the guy. He had a lot of energy.

revenge jack's energy will reach 9000.
Well, if they say he dead, he dead.

But I was thinking drone was hacked and the video was Heller seconds before he ditched but that's kind of an overdone trope.

jman2050

So this is what happens when you have two Jack Bauers. You interrogate a dying terrorist and smuggle the US president out of the US Embassy at the same time. You get shit done.

President Heller is totally dead.

"Wake the bitch up" is treading dangerously close to "THEY'RE SHOOTING AT US" for best Bauer one-liner this season.

Oh man that scene between Heller and Audrey. That's heartbreaking.

Secretary of State is the worst character ever and he is way way way out of his league being surrounded by all these badasses. The way he tried to "comfort" Audrey at the end there was borderline embarrassing.

Apoc29

Do missile systems actually have a "Target Destroyed" indicator or is that just a stupid TV thing they made up to spell it out for the viewers?

I can see how Chloe hacked it:

Code:
if (target == PresidentHeller)
{
    destroyed = true;
}

Angelcurio

Episodes air on Tuesdays here, so normally I'm one day late compared to you guys. I'm really surprised that they actually killed Heller, but if you take his words as fact, they definitely make sense. It's better to die a hero trying to save people's lives, than to keep living knowing that you would have to resign because of your Alzheimer's making you incapable of being president and in less than a year you are going to be nothing more than person without memory.

tauroxd

I mean what the fuck.

Most accurate recap of a season ever!

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

I mean what the fuck.

Still better than S4

*hides from GAF's drone strike*

Rich!

Still better than S4

*hides from GAF's drone strike*

no way. One episode in Season 4 had the following cast all present:

- Jack Bauer
- Chloe O'Brian
- Curtis Manning
- Tony Almeida
- Michelle Dessler
- Bill Buchanan
- Mandy
- Charles Logan
- David Palmer
- Mike Novick
- Aaron Pierce
- Audrey Raines
- James Heller

Look at that fucking lineup. Season 6 never came close.

Top Bottom