• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Live Another Day |OT| Game of Drones

t-storm

Can I just say I fucking hate/love that feeling when the first split screen zooms out at the end of a really intense episode. A few weeks ago, I loved the one with Heller walking into the field and then tonight with Audrey's face. Tonight I was all, "Noooooooooooo!!! Don't leave me like this!"

Great episode, not as good as the previous 2 but still great.

Why do we only have one hour left!?!?!?!?

Give us more! So it ends with a hostage situation bringing together the love of Jack's life and one of his greatest villains. Good way to end the show. He better not die.

Thezez

Banned
Things liked about this episode:
"..you idiot.."
Cheng in general.
Chloe laying some
people down with a
pipe.
Smooth break-in by Jack and Kate

Things I disliked about this episode:
Death of weird beard.
Audrey in general.
Old man spilling the pills showing his vulnerability moment.

Penultimate episodes are tough to do right, and 24 usually sucks at them. This one was better than most though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Don't think they have it in them to kill Jack. Regarding the chance of future seasons...

Ratings are up - when you add in 30-day ratings from DVR and the like, this season is actually rocking a higher average viewership (15m) in the US than Season 5, the previous peak (14m). However, obviously, DVR is worth way less to advertisers as people just fast forward, so that might not help get the show renewed. In terms of FOX, those numbers are only trumped by American Idol.

Howard Gordon keeps talking about the show without Kiefer:

I can very seriously see Kiefer staying on as an exec producer if Jack dies and if Jack lives retreating into a lesser role with somebody else (Kate?) being the main screentime hero of the series.

You know, I'd be interested to see a 24 with small amounts of Bauer, or even perhaps a season without him (but still want him to be "Alive"). I'd like to see a show with the now known ramifications of a China/Russia/USA split, with nations out for Blood (cause hey, nothing smells like angst, than having Russia end middle eastern peace talks with assassinations, and starting a war between the other 2 super powers)

Should have set it up to have a Tony lead show, but a Kate might not be too bad.

Dash_

Was so expecting for
Tony to weirdly be the sniper at the end.

Am dissapoint.

Apart from that, awesome episode.

"...you idiot!"

That was great.

I'll be waiting for this final to surprise me. I've been disappointed with how some things have played out this season, so this is the last chance to do it in season 9.

BBboy20

Wasn't this the 2nd consecutive time Russia was behind a terrorist attack?

Funny that the the true antagonist is defeated before the arch nemesis but hey, who else is fitting enough to end this season with Cheng.

Another aquatic industrial location to end the season?

So, it seems like Mark is still dead as fucked anyways.

I think the
coffin
seen in the preview belongs to Cheng. In the end, when Jack is facing off against Cheng just as WW3 is about to happen, Cheng reveals to Jack that he was doing everything as a way to test Jacks worth and to help him along, ala MGS4's Ocelot. Afterwards, Cheng gets buried in Arlington as a tearful Jack salutes.

Speevy

Banned
The coffin belongs to Tony Almeida, who came back from the future as a cyborg to help Jack battle the final villain...Self-Aware Override Device Implanted with the Soul of Habib Marwan.

Vally

imU3UmgwsxSsH.gif

JordanKZ

The coffin belongs to Tony Almeida, who came back from the future as a cyborg to help Jack battle the final villain...Self-Aware Override Device Implanted with the Soul of Habib Marwan.

Tony's cyborg chests opens to reveal a hologram Habib Marwan's upper torso.

Premiere+of+The+Mummy+Returns+r2tiaNtA1bVm.jpg

"I WAS BEHIND IT ALL ALONG! EVERY SEASON!"

What a fantastic revival.
No idea what's going down next week.
Tony's comeback would be just icing on the cake. Fuck that, they would be invent a new term for that. I don't really think it's going to happen though, the sniper could be her:

Mandy_S4.jpg

Kifimbo

Slept on it, and I think Jack will actually die.

First, let's remember Jack faced the three recurring 24 threats this season. Middle East/Terrorists, Russia and China. In a 12-hour season. And stakes are higher than ever (WW3). If there is another season, how could they top this off ? And they'd probably need a new enemy.

Now, I think there is no way this season will end with WW3 starting. They will avoid war at the last minute. Now the question is, how will they resolve the conflict in one hour ? Jack will probably deliver Cheng and the device. But that won't be enough. China and especially Russia will want Jack. Dead, because he proved he's useless anyway as a prisoner. Alive, he's way too dangerous and an asset to the USA. Facing the choice between his death or a nuclear war, Jack will obviously accept (especially if Audrey is already dead, which I'm not sure will happen). Jack will finally be recognized as a hero by his country (
casket with an American flag

*silent clock*

First, let's remember Jack faced the three recurring 24 threats this season. Middle East/Terrorists, Russia and China. In a 12-hour season. And stakes are higher than ever (WW3). If there is another season, how could they top this off ? And they'd probably need a new enemy.

Now, I think there is no way this season will end with WW3 starting. They will avoid war at the last minute. Now the question is, how will they resolve the conflict in one hour ? Jack will probably deliver Cheng and the device. But that won't be enough. China and especially Russia will want Jack. Dead, because he proved he's useless anyway as a prisoner. Alive, he's way too dangerous and an asset to the USA. Facing the choice between his death or a nuclear war, Jack will obviously accept (especially if Audrey is already dead, which I'm not sure will happen). Jack will finally be recognized as a hero by his country (

*silent clock*

I like this. I like it very fucking much. It would be sad, but it would be right.

Or maybe, 24er: Live Yet Another Day. Jack finally faces the Communist Apocalypse.

Karu

Now, I think there is no way this season will end with WW3 starting. They will avoid war at the last minute. Now the question is, how will they resolve the conflict in one hour ? Jack will probably deliver Cheng and the device. But that won't be enough. China and especially Russia will want Jack. Dead, because he proved he's useless anyway as a prisoner. Alive, he's way too dangerous and an asset to the USA. Facing the choice between his death or a nuclear war, Jack will obviously accept (especially if Audrey is already dead, which I'm not sure will happen). Jack will finally be recognized as a hero by his country (casket with an American flag.
In addition this woould fall perfectly in line with the scene between Heller and Bauer in the wembley-episode, where Heller mentioned (Although he also called out the PM on it and in general it's a classic cliche-line to say in such a situation, so there is that), that Jack would do the same - sacrificing himself. We will see. At this point, I would not say it's impossible.

Zaph

Man, the shoutout at the beginning of the ep felt straight out of a video game, with the poor AI flanking and a truck load of second wave enemies. But it was okay, Jack and Kate survived the countdown timer and backup arrived with ammo.

Really happy how this season improved. The early episodes were a big bummer with the director trying too hard to make every shot scream London, the bad casting of the terrorist family (actually made me miss Beyrooooooz) and how cheap the show looked. I imagine a lot of that was down to how incredibly difficult it is to shoot in London during the day - I've been in that position, it sucks - it's near impossible to get permits to close off roads, and when you do you've got to be incredibly quick, not much time to set up and shoot in the couple hours between sunrise and morning commute (plus the weather/lighting can change in a heartbeat).

Jack and Kate Plus G8
This post didn't get enough love. Outstanding.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
just checked IMDB and elisha cuthbert doesn't have this season listed, so I doubt jack will get to see his family before the end of the season.

If the
casket
is indeed that of one
President Heller
then I hope
they cremate him and jack walks over and grabs the ash and rubs it on his face.

Slowdive

Banned
just checked IMDB and elisha cuthbert doesn't have this season listed, so I doubt jack will get to see his family before the end of the season.

I doubt they'd give it away like that. The only reason I was pretty sure Cheng was coming back was because there was a recent pic of him with Mary Lynn Rajskub on Twitter.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I do wonder, if there are any serious talks about any future seasons after this one.

Not that it means much but for the preview they said it was a "finale" not a season finale but also not a series finale. So it seems they would be leaving it open.

Good lord, reading the top part of this page is like reading redacted documents from the US government.

Exciting, exciting season, can't wait for next monday.

liquidtmd

Banned
I think another poster touched on it a few pages back, but it also crossed my mind from the way it was shot that the writers would make Chloe get up from the fall and have amnesia just for the pure lulz

Seriously - 45 minutes to wrap this all up satisfyingly?!? The brink of war. Cheng. Audrey. Jack. Chloe. Mark. Heller. The conclusion of the whole show???!

In terms of Jack dying, I can see both happening and in terms of execution I don't mind either. I'd prefer a happy ending for Jack in the fashion of the start of Season 8 but as long as he doesn't either simply go on the run again then all is great. Tonights ep didn't feel as satisfying as the last couple but its been rock solid. Wasn't convinced in terms of the Russian and Cheng being in cahoots all along but again liked the fact the whole season has felt not completely made up as they go.

I'm going to bank my guess as Jack saving the world then faking his death with Heller's help to get the Russian pressure to go away. Jack retires with Audrey who has left Mark who is either going to prison or maybe dead.

Gibbo

*silent clock*

I had chills reading this. perfection....

Lonestar

Not sure I'd like the "Jack breaks the Mutually Assured Destruction Pact" ending, where he's too valuable to America to be allowed to live.

Arozay

*silent clock*

Then it cuts to a remote location where it is revealed that Jack is alive, has grown a beard and become a lumberjack, and Kate is on holiday with Kim in France.

Kifimbo

Not sure I'd like the "Jack breaks the Mutually Assured Destruction Pact" ending, where he's too valuable to America to be allowed to live.

It's more like "killing Jack is the only way to avoid a war". Because yes, Jack is valuable, but let's not forget what he did to China (invade their terrority and killed a diplomat - even if he didn't kill him) and what he did to Russia in Season 8. Both countries can save face.

Fake death already happened. Going to a Chinese prison already happened. Exile already happened.

Then it cuts to a remote location where it is revealed that Jack is alive, has grown a beard and become a lumberjack, and Kate is on holiday with Kim in France.

There needs to be a fake alternate version with this, like they had that joke alternate ending for Breaking Bad.

Lonestar

It's more like "killing Jack is the only way to avoid a war". Because yes, Jack is valuable, but let's not forget what he did to China (invade their terrority and killed a diplomat - even if he didn't kill him) and what he did to Russia in Season 8. Both countries can save face.

Fake death already happened. Going to a Chinese prison already happened. Exile already happened.

Meh, Jack already paid back China in Blood and years. They had ample time to kill him, and instead, took whatever it was in Payment from America for him. No takebacks!

Russia, well, they started it, and probably got off light, by not being revealed as being a "assassinations, dirty bomb supplier, and peace talk destroying" entity.

Hoping for Jack to slink back off into the "wilderness" as he confirms that the whole day wasn't about him "going back home."

Not since this last season finale of Game of Thrones, has there been a more packed finale than this one is going to have to be. They're gonna have to be running through scenes at "24" LA Traffic speed.

Aβydoς;119998111 said:
What a fantastic revival.
No idea what's going down next week.
Tony's comeback would be just icing on the cake. Fuck that, they would be invent a new term for that. I don't really think it's going to happen though, the sniper could be her:

Mandy_S4.jpg

That would be so badass. Last we saw her was at the end of season 4, when she got her pardon.

Lonestar

Well, 24 LAD is having a Comicon panel, with Kiefer and Cassar (at least). So it's either a "series wrap up" type panel, or maybe they'll be hope for the future.

Top Bottom