• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2nd Mario Strikers Charged GAF World Cup

You're Steve right Phife Dawg?

Phife Dawg 2 (14 goals) - 1 (8 goals) radioheadrule83

2-3
5-4
7-1

First game was good, second game was awesome... third, I really let the game get out of my control!

Great game dude :D

radioheadrule83 said:
You're Steve right Phife Dawg?

Phife Dawg 2 (14 goals) - 1 (8 goals) radioheadrule83

2-3
5-4
7-1

First game was good, second game was awesome... third, I really let the game get out of my control!

Great game dude :D
Oh so I did remember the scores wrong :lol . I should do more brain Training I guess.

Radiohead's scores are correct, I will edit my post.

Games were very intense and full of shots and goals. The second one was indeed awesomest. I really thought you would score the equaliser the way you have been scoring your goals.

In the third the mega-strike broke your neck. I was lucky to pull an orange one out-phew I'm wasted now :lol .

Capndrake

Wasn't it noon GMT? That's not for another 10 minutes. Coming now.

EDIT: D'oh, very sorry, it was CET. I was just used to getting all times in GMT.

Capndrake said:
Wasn't it noon GMT? That's not for another 10 minutes. Coming now.

EDIT: D'oh, very sorry, it was CET. I was just used to getting all times in GMT.
Oh sorry, didn't know GMT was the standard when giving times in the thread. No big deal though. I played the game vs Radiohead which was awesome so I say it was a rather positive outcome in the end.

Now I have to prepare getting slaughtered :lol .

selig

Banned
Haunted One said:
I ****ing told him. :lol :lol We'll see who his next opponent will be and work something out with other communication methods. If he clears his cache, he can at least follow this thread, even if he can't post..

No, he cant follow. Seems you have to be logged in to watch this online-board of neogaf.
But it sure is quite ludicrous what he got banned for. Amirox behaved like an idiot, butt, well, he´s a mod, isnt he. Wrong power balance and such.

Whatever, if i dont have the time, please simply contact him with ICQ (www.icq.com).If he´s online, he´s online with tha program.

cu,
selig

dk_

selig said:
hi,

mfauli wrote me via ICQ to tell you that you please tell him the up-coming match-configuration per ICQ. His number is 148198180.

He got banned by Amirox because of saying that Okami always seemed like a natural fit for Wii. Dont know what´s wrong with saying that, seems like that mod had his fanboy-day. Anyway, please dont remove him from the tournament.

cu,
selig
I think Mfauli said a lot of other things which justify his ban. It was time for him to go...

Capndrake

Phife Dawg 1 (3) - Capndrake 2 (3)

Pretty fast goals in the first game, those really caught me off-guard. Somehow managed to sneak in a win with a lucky shot in the second match, and I think you missing one MegaStrike shot in the third one pretty much won that for me.

Phife 1 (3) - Drake 2 (3)

1st: 3-0
2nd: 0-1
3rd: 0-2

Very messy games with lots of tackling, but not the slaughter I expected. Second one was really close with my shots simply not wanting to get into the goal.

Third one wasn't really close. Had some funny moments for me though when my gf kept popping in to complain about me playing and whatnot :D .

edit:
Yeah I could see that in the first you were not playing to your potential. You didn't really interfere with my passing.

I couldn't believe the goal in the second. Can Waluigi even score such a goal? :lol

Third one wasn't close imo, sure the mega-strike was unfortunate but you controlled the game much better and had more shots than me.

----------

dk_ said:
I think Mfauli said a lot of other things which justify his ban. It was time for him to go...
I thought so too, he was living on the edge. That being said Amirox is not really my favourite mod either.

selig

Banned
dk_ said:

It was people that didnt understand his humor. For example, he really doesnt like Escape from Bug Island. It was an, actually, obvious joke. (jokes in the same type Anihawk does a lot) Seems people wanted to take that statement serious and him to be a fanboy, which he really isnt. But talk to him yourself, bad talk about a person in a topic he cant even see is kind of poor. (icq: 148198180)

Haunted One, have I got this about right? I make Group B as follows at the moment.

Code:
    Player            W-L-NC     Games     Goals     G.Ratio     Points

1. Swisslink          7-0-0      14:1      73:28       +45         42
2. CapnDrake          6-1-0      12:5      35:30       + 5         36
3. Tanasten           3-2-0       8:4      41:27       +14         24
4. Myke Greywolf      2-4-0       5:8      19:27       - 8         15
5. Phife Dawg         1-3-0       3:7      20:20        0           9
6. radioheadrule83    1-4-0       3:8      17:44       -27          9
7. Toma               0-2-0       0:4      14:18       - 4          0
8. nli10              0-4-0       0:8      10:36       -26          0

Me and Phife would need to see Myke to lose his last series if we want a chance to advance to the knockout stage... Phife has a series in hand against me, and he's got the better goal ratio too. Toma and nli10 have five and three games to play respectively... there's a lot of points to be lost or picked up there!

dk_

selig said:
Seems people wanted to take that statement serious and him to be a fanboy, which he really isnt.
LOL

When I posted here I did not know that he can't see this thread anymore.

Haunted

selig said:
No, he cant follow. Seems you have to be logged in to watch this online-board of neogaf.
ah, ok. Didn't knew that. Well, I'm not an ICQ person, I think I have an old account on my Laptop, going to check later. If you have the chance to relay some messages, that would be awesome though. Thanks in advance, selig. :p

radioheadrule83 said:
Haunted One, have I got this about right? I make Group B as follows at the moment.
perfect. :)

I updated my post with the Group Tables as well.

Looks like Group B is really close together. Myke with the best chance to advance, but radiohead and Phife are not out of the picture yet. :D

radiohead said:
Me and Phife would need to see Myke to lose his last series if we want a chance to advance to the knockout stage... Phife has a series in hand against me, and he's got the better goal ratio too. Toma and nli10 have five and three games to play respectively... there's a lot of points to be lost or picked up there!
I fear Toma won't show up anymore, so these would be forfeited matches, and 6 points for you, Myke and Phife. It all depends on your games against nli10 and whatever other game Phife is missing. (edit: I think it's tanasten? ooh, that's going to be a tough one.)

oh man, I'll have to go through the whole thread to make a list of who played against who so far, won't I? :/

Haunted One said:
ah, ok. Didn't knew that. Well, I'm not an ICQ person, I think I have an old account on my Laptop, going to check later. If you have the chance to relay some messages, that would be awesome though. Thanks in advance, selig. :p

perfect. :)

I updated my post with the Group Tables as well.

Looks like Group B is really close together. Myke with the best chance to advance, but radiohead and Phife are not out of the picture yet. :D

I fear Toma won't show up anymore, so these would be forfeited matches, and 6 points for you, Myke and Phife. It all depends on your games against nli10 and whatever other game Phife is missing. (edit: I think it's tanasten? ooh, that's going to be a tough one.)

oh man, I'll have to go through the whole thread to make a list of who played against who so far, won't I? :/
I don't know if I can play the game with tanasten. He didn't respond in the thread or via pm. I'm only available until 16 CET so we'll probably have to skip the game.

If I'll reach the quarters or not is not of big interest for me so you can forfeit the game for me. I did try but I know that opposed to other players I'm not available for long hours so I say putting the blame on me is fair.

Haunted

Capndrake said:
If you do Group A I'll do Group B.

I'm bored :(
oh, I'll gladly take that offer. :p

Besides cross-checking if the Group Tables calculated so far are correct, the most important thing is to check which games are missing, so we can decide what to do with those.

Phife Dawg said:
I don't know if I can play the game with tanasten. He didn't respond in the thread or via pm. I'm only available until 16 CET so we'll probably have to skip the game.

If I'll reach the quarters or not is not of big interest for me so you can forfeit the game for me. I did try but I know that opposed to other players I'm not available for long hours so I say putting the blame on me is fair.
Ah, don't worry about it. I can't speak for tanasten, but I vote for counting it as a no-contest game. You were here at times, tanasten was here at times, but it just didn't work out - I say nobody deserves to lose that game.

Capndrake

Swisslink: Done
Me: Done
Tanasten: Needs to play Toma and Phife
Myke: Needs to play Toma
radiohead: Needs to play Toma and nli
Phife: Needs to play Toma, nli and Tanasten
Toma: Needs to play everybody but me and Swiss
nli: Needs to play Toma, Phife and radio

So much Toma matches left. Lucky I already played him.

GROUP B FIXTURES AND RESULTS

Games in bold.
Goals in parenthesis.
Winners are also bolded.

---

2 JULY

Swisslink 2 (11) - (9) 0 Toma
Swisslink 2 (9) - (2) 0 Myke Greywolf

-

15 JULY

Myke Greywolf 2 (2) - (0) 0 Phife Dawg

-

16 JULY

nli10 0 (4) - (8) 2 Myke Greywolf
Swisslink 2 (11) - (1) 0 Nli10

-

17 JULY

Capndrake 2 (3) - (3) 1 Myke Greywolf

-

18 JULY

Swisslink 2 (8) - (2) 0 CapnDrake

-

19 JULY

Swisslink 2 (13) - (2) 0 radioheadrule83

-

20 JULY

radioheadrule83 2 (5) - (3) 0 Myke Greywolf

-

21 JULY

Swisslink 2 (14) - (9) 1 Tanasten
Tanasten 2 (6) - (1) 0 Myke GreyWolf

-

25 JULY

Capndrake 2 (8) - (7) 1 Tanasten
Capndrake 2 (7) - (2) 0 Nli10
Tanasten 2 (10) - (3) 0 nli10
Tanasten 2 (9) - (1) 0 radioheadrule83
capndrake 2 (5) - (2) 0 radioheadrule83

-

28 JULY

Swisslink 2 (7) - (3) 0 Phife Dawg

-

29 JULY

Phife Dawg 2 (14) - (8) 1 radioheadrule83
Phife Dawg 1 (3) - (3) 2 Capndrake

---

TO BE PLAYED BY THE END OF THE DAY!

Tanasten ? (?) - (?) ? Toma
Tanasten ? (?) - (?) ? Phife Dawg
Myke Greywolf ? (?) - (?) ? Toma
radioheadrule83 ? (?) - (?) ? Toma
radioheadrule83 ? (?) - (?) ? nli10
Phife Dawg ? (?) - (?) ? Toma
Phife Dawg ? (?) - (?) nli10

Haunted

Awesome, thanks Drake and radiohead. So, (barring nli10 or tanasten suddenly showing up) I will count Toma's 5 matches as forfeited by him, making the following matches the ones that need to be decided upon in Group B.

tanasten - phife (I vote no contest, as noted in my post above)
nli10 - phife (both were here at times, nli10 played 4 matches, so I don't think we should count it as his forfeit - no contest)
nl10 - radiohead (no contest - same as above)

It has to be noted that even if we counted nli10's matches as forfeit, it would not change the 4 players advancing into the knockout phase - so it's merely cosmetic. However, that's all unofficial for now. There's still some 8 hours left to play, maybe someone will show up still. :)

--------------

That said, it's even easier for Group A. Darktails has 5 matches missing and hasn't shown himself after the first week - so I will count his matches as forfeited.

The missing matches are
max - Bo130
max - MFauli

Since max announced that he won't participate in the playoffs, these two matches are - again - just cosmetic and won't change the outcome. I think it's fair to count them both as NC.

If someone disagrees with how the missing games are to be counted, speak up! :p If you say nothing until midnight, I'll take it as silent agreement. :lol Thanks to Drake and radiohead (excellent work on that list, radiohead!), all the info needed to make the announcement for the knockout phase is there.

Haunted One said:
Awesome, thanks Drake and radiohead. So, (barring nli10 or tanasten suddenly showing up) I will count Toma's 5 matches as forfeited by him, making the following matches the ones that need to be decided upon in Group B.

tanasten - phife (I vote no contest, as noted in my post above)
nli10 - phife (both were here at times, nli10 played 4 matches, so I don't think we should count it as his forfeit - no contest)
nl10 - radiohead (no contest - same as above)

It has to be noted that even if we counted nli10's matches as forfeit, it would not change the 4 players advancing into the knockout phase - so it's merely cosmetic. However, that's all unofficial for now. There's still some 8 hours left to play, maybe someone will show up still. :)

I agree. I will be quite surprised if Toma shows up, and if he isn't going to turn up, Myke goes through. Everything else you've suggested is fair IMO.

Are we going to have some kind of competition for the Chumpionship? :lol

Haunted

Alright, guys. All deadlines are up - the preliminary rounds are over. Here are the results:

GROUP A
Code:

1. Haunted            7-0-0      14:0      65:15       +50         42
2. MasterMFauli       5-1-1      10:3      27:18       + 9         30
3. maxmars            4-1-2       8:2      28:20       + 8         24
4. dk_                4-3-0       8:7      25:26       + 9         24

5. Bo130              2-4-1       6:9      28:34       - 6         18
6. Dash Kappei        2-5-0       6:11     29:39       -10         18
7. Koren              2-5-0       5:10     30:47       -17         15
8. Darktails          0-7-0       0:14      2:46       -44          0

Group B
Code:

1. Swisslink          7-0-0      14:1      73:28       +45         42
2. CapnDrake          6-1-0      12:5      35:30       + 5         36
3. Tanasten           4-2-1      10:4      47:27       +20         30
4. Myke Greywolf      3-4-0       7:8      25:27       - 2         21

5. Phife Dawg         2-3-2       5:7      26:20       + 6         15
6. radioheadrule83    2-4-1       5:8      23:44       -21         15
7. nli10              1-4-2       2:8      16:36       -20          6
8. Toma               0-7-0       0:14     14:48       -34          0

Since maxmars decided to pull out of this Cup due to time constraints, I can officially congratulate Swisslink, CapnDrake, Tanasten, Myke Greywolf, and Bo130, dk, MFauli and myself ^_^ for reaching the knockout phase.

Thanks to all the others who played as well, I think I speak for everyone when saying that it's been loads of fun so far. I hope those who are out of the Cup will still frequent this thread, give support, predictions (we had some good predictions going last year, although no one correctly guessed the winner :p), trash-talk or just plain continue to talk about the game. :D At least I'd like it if the population of this thread wouldn't go down to the 8 people still in the Cup. :lol

In good 'ol Strikers fashion, we'll give out two
imaginary
trophies for the preliminary round:

The Golden Foot award goes to Swisslink with 73 goals scored, averaging 4,9 goals per game and 10,4 goals per series.

The Brick Wall award goes to Haunted, who let only 15 goals in (averaging 1 goal against him per game and 2,1 goals against him per series).

Congratulations. :)

The knockout phase table will follow in the next post.

maxmars

Just a couple of words, I am back from a first trip and leaving for a second.

As for the prize, I know exactly what it is, I am to get it from another GAFfer, but so far he's been very busy with life as well and therefore I've been unable to catch him online. Since I will be back at the end of august (when I expect you all to be still playing MSC online!), it's possible that the winner will get his prize then or shortly after.

I will have access to the web this next week and I will bring the Wii with me, but probably can't connect it to the net. Bummer. If I manage to connect I'd be glad to play with whomever is online (ex-group A or B, whatever).

See you online and may the best win. :)

Capndrake

Haunted One said:
Just a reminder: as max stated in his OP, the winner of this tournament will receive a mystery prize (not a custom tag :p) - max is still working on procuring it, but I can already guarantee that you will say wow once max will unveil what it is. :D
A trip to Hawaii for four people with travel costs paid by max!?

Thank you max!

Bo130

Haunted One said:
Since maxmars decided to pull out of this Cup due to time constraints, I can officially congratulate Swisslink, CapnDrake, Tanasten, Myke Greywolf, and Bo130, dk, MFauli and myself ^_^ for reaching the knockout phase.

Whoa, unexpected o_O. Congratulation guys.

Haunted One said:
Bo130 - Swisslink

Oh shi... :p

You've played fantastically - 14:1? Whoa.

We'll face the problem now, though. If anyone hasn't noticed, I haven't been able to go through with a game against Swisslink yet. What is good, though, some of the people with the same problem as us - I've finally been able to play them after a couple more tries this past week. Hopefully it'll let me get my butt kicked :p When can you play?

nli10

Congrats guys - sorry I couldn't complete my commitments to the cup. What with the big job interview Friday and then having family over all weekend I couldn't get online let alone near the Wii.

And those 3-0 losses would have been a good score for me, but I think i might have stolen one victory match from somewhere then!

Anyway good luck!!

maxmars

Capndrake said:
A trip to Hawaii for four people with travel costs paid by max!?

Thank you max!

Yes, the winner will have to pay for the vacation, then I'll reimburse him the money. Send your bank account details to:

/dev/null

:D

Haunted

Myke Greywolf said:
Yay, I'm gonna get pwned soon!

So, Haunted One, when do you want to have our massac-... I mean, match?

Let's see if I don't get my ass banned until then - I recently had my first thread lock. :p

ah, don't say that - the GAF Cup makes its own laws and no favourite is exempt of this.
just ask tanasten :p

Well, tomorrow's my birthday, Thursday is another exam, so I have to study until then... so every evening starting Thursday would be fine with me. It's ok if I play with Daisy?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Only thing is, Thursday is my birthday, so I guess we'll have to do it Friday. ;)

Your Daisy is OK for me, I'll probably be using DK as usual, but since I have some time until our match, I'll try some other possibilities.

dk_

Capndrake said:
When can you play? Because I would in fact be fine with playing right now.

And I'm playing as Waluigi, do you use him as well or is that fine?
Yeah ok, let's play. I'm playing with Mini Bowser so it's fine. :)

EDIT: I'm online!

EDIT 2: Capndrake 0 (1) - 2 (3) dk_

Thanks for the games Drake, really intense.

Capndrake

Capndrake 0 (1) - dk_ 2 (3)

Germans always beat me :(

And Swisslink but he's Swiss and thus speaks German so you can't deny the connection!1

Haunted

Myke Greywolf said:
Only thing is, Thursday is my birthday, so I guess we'll have to do it Friday. ;)

Your Daisy is OK for me, I'll probably be using DK as usual, but since I have some time until our match, I'll try some other possibilities.
:lol alright.

But, if you're not too afraid of a game on such short notice, my gf just cancelled our date for tonight, so I'd be free to play this very evening. Maybe 19:00-20:00 GMT?

If not, we'll just play on Friday. :)

hu-whaa? One of the last Cup's finalists is out already. :O :O Sorry you're missing that trip to Hawaii, Drake. :/

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Haunted One said:
:lol alright.

But, if you're not too afraid of a game on such short notice, my gf just cancelled our date for tonight, so I'd be free to play this very evening. Maybe 19:00-20:00 GMT?

I'll be available at about 20:00 GMT, if that's alright with you.

Haunted

Capndrake said:
I'll stow away on the winner's boat so ha!
Honestly? You'd be better off asking Swiss. :lol

ah, stealth edit!

Myke Greywolf said:
I'll be available at about 20:00 GMT, if that's alright with you.
yay! :D Now where did I put that disc.... I haven't played for a week. :/ *scampers off to train*

selig

Banned
Here again.
tanasten, if you can play today please tell me the exact time. Fauli is available all day. Would be nice if someone could transcript tanasten´s time in German time then :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sorry, but I don't agree.
I can't see why I'm not going to pass then because Bo had -4 goals then me when he played one match less then me.
I mean, if I didn't play Maxmars instead of playing and losing then I would've passed to the next round?

Well...
Btw, you dis as you see fit, no problem.

Did I already say that I don't agree and that maybe it should have been better thought out? :)

Bo130 in spite of this I now demand you take both our flags on your shoulders and win the tournament! ^__^

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
Bo130 in spite of this I now demand you take both our flags on your shoulders and win the tournament! ^__^
That's the right spirit! Check your PM's, I sent you a long one. :p

Swisslink

Bo130 - Swisslink

4. dk_ 4-3-0 8:7 25:26 + 9 24

I don't understand, why I have to play against bo130 :-?
Wil this change soon, or do i really have to play against bo130? :-?

Haunted

Swisslink said:
Bo130 - Swisslink

4. dk_ 4-3-0 8:7 25:26 + 9 24

I don't understand, why I have to play against bo130 :-?
Wil this change soon, or do i really have to play against bo130? :-?
answered by...
my long post above said:
Since maxmars decided to pull out of this Cup due to time constraints...
Maxmars had to pull out, so both dk and Bo130 jump one place (to 3rd and 4th, respectively.)

Haunted

God, how I hate this. :(

Are you getting that 86070 error code, too, Myke? It's the same shit as last week. Everything's working, all the channels, Strikers online lobby, Strikers ranked matches - just certain friendlies don't. :(

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Haunted One said:
God, how I hate this. :(

Are you getting that 86070 error code, too, Myke? It's the same shit as last week. Everything's working, all the channels, Strikers online lobby, Strikers ranked matches - just certain friendlies don't. :(

Yes, it was happening to me too. I'll be online again at 20:00 GMT, since now I've got to take care of bathing, feeding and putting my baby son to sleep. :)

Haunted

Myke Greywolf said:
Yes, it was happening to me too. I'll be online again at 20:00 GMT, since now I've got to take care of bathing, feeding and putting my baby son to sleep. :)
^_^ np, I'll hang around until then and keep hoping it'll work.

*sigh*

deleted and re-added you. But aside from that and re-starting the system, I can't think of anything else which could help (besides attempting several times).

There's something wrong with the friendly match system since roughly two weeks or so.. before that, I seldomly had problems, but now the 86070 error runs rampant when playing friendlies. Bo, Swiss, Dash, max - all with similar problems in the last days. :(

I see you're not available right now - I'd like to try a couple times after you're done with your game, though.

dk_ said:
That means I'm in the final now? :lol
heh, I'm sure Myke and I will find a way to play each other. And if not, there's always the option for a good old fight
to the death!

Top Bottom