• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2nd Mario Strikers Charged GAF World Cup

Haunted

Capndrake said:
Capndrake 2 (8) - Tanasten 1 (7) (Is that right?)

Holy shit, thank you Tanasten for involving me in the greatest match I have ever played. So tense.
I don't know what ancient magic tanasten uses to get that effect, but that's exactly what I thought after I played him in the semis last time. :lol Congrats. :D

Group Tables are updated.

Koren

tanasten said:
Yay. I'm waiting.
Many thanks for the match... Really close till the end (don't know why, but all my match with GAF people are interesting).

Sorry for the cheap goal with daisy's special, but I was a bit mad because of the goal I offered you ten seconds before by giving a ball to your Drybones with my goalie just in front of an empty goal... :lol:

Koren

Haunted One said:
I don't know what ancient magic tanasten uses to get that effect
Oh, so he uses ancient magic... it explains many things ! Indeed I really appreciated the match (after hearing many things about his matches, I wanted to try myself ;) )

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Capndrake said:
Capndrake 2 (7) - Nli10 (2)

Just an average match really. Sorry for not making it spectacular, Nli.

Tanasten, I thought it was:

1st: 3-1 for you
2nd: 4-2 for me
3rd: 3-2 for me

Was it 4-3 the second match? It was so tense that I forgot half of what happened :p

O no, the last game must be 2-3 and not 4-3 as I though. I just forgot the score

tanasten

Koren said:
Oh, so he uses ancient magic... it explains many things ! Indeed I really appreciated the match (after hearing many things about his matches, I wanted to try myself ;) )

Yeah...
wii_xcm_vbox.jpg

that's my ancient magic :(

BTW, new results:

Tanasten (2) 10 - Nli10 (0) 3

Haunted please update the tables.

I will a few games more in. If someone from group be can get in...

Haunted

:lol

:(

Sorry, tanasten. :p But don't worry, a quick glance at the updated Group Tables reveals that you're well on track to make the playoffs. Interestingly, at the current standings, your opponent in the quarter-finals would be MasterMFauli, a repeat from the last tourney. :)

But let's not get ahead of ourselves, there are still quite a few matches to be played. The only thing certain is that both Group A and Group B are still suspenseful. That 4th place is highly contested in both groups.

tanasten

Koren said:
Interesting... but I guess by the smiley that it doesn't work so well ? You found a European model (Play-asia say only for NTSC) ?

There's a PAL version, but is garbagge. No pal 60, worse than composite, less than 30 fps video capture, blurry, sometimes it freezes a bit and the sound cracks... it's just horrible.

tanasten

Haunted One said:
:lol

:(

Sorry, tanasten. :p But don't worry, a quick glance at the updated Group Tables reveals that you're well on track to make the playoffs. Interestingly, at the current standings, your opponent in the quarter-finals would be MasterMFauli, a repeat from the last tourney. :)

But let's not get ahead of ourselves, there are still quite a few matches to be played. The only thing certain is that both Group A and Group B are still suspenseful. That 4th place is highly contested in both groups.

But I have no chance to win this cup. It's very hard to play Mario Strikers like this.

It's still fun though :)

Koren

tanasten said:
There's a PAL version, but is garbagge. No pal 60, worse than composite, less than 30 fps video capture, blurry, sometimes it freezes a bit and the sound cracks... it's just horrible.
Sorry to hear that it's so difficult to play with this (the idea is interesting, to bad it doesn't work... I was happy to have a composite input on my laptop, managed to play my Wii abroad this way)

nli10

I'm really kicking ass & taking names today :D That first match against Dash was probably my closest in this tournament as on the strike of the sudden death starting my Monty mole had a ball trickle behind the goal but not go in after hitting the crosssbar!

<3 At least my lvl 3 Bidoof loves me <3
yeah - My Euro Pokemon arrived 2 days early :lol and I can't play it as I'm still doing presentation for work at 11:13pm :( - snuck 2 games of strikers in though I guess!

tanasten

New result:

Tanasten 2 (9) - RadioHeadHyrule 0 (1)

I'm over for today. Phiwe and Toma, I'm looking for you both ;)

Capndrake

Capndrake 2 (5) - radioheadrule83 0 (2)

Second match was fairly awesome with radio's sudden 2 goals, but besides that, nothing truly interesting.

No match is going to be interesting for me now after the Tanasten one :(

Haunted One said:
Interestingly, at the current standings, your opponent in the quarter-finals would be MasterMFauli, a repeat from the last tourney. :)

ARGH XD
And i didnt get the chance to play against tanasten last time, we both missed our match ;-)
But..argh, do i have to lose or win against maxmars to not to have to play against tanasten? XD tanasten was the favorite for the last cup afaik ^^

capndrake 2 (5) - (2) 0 radioheadrule83

Argh miserable defeat! Tanasten demolished me! I had a slightly better game against Drake.. I thought I could have come back in the second game near the end but that earlier megastrike proved to be decisive!

Good games, cheers! More on the morrow :)

maxmars

MMF, I will try to be online tomorrow again, but if I can't, we'll be both assigned no points (same with bo130) for our match. We will both collect a win against darktails since he disappeared.

I think it's the fairest solution for everyone considering that a) we both were around so it's not like one of us disappeared and b) it's fair for those I've already played (apart from haunted, I beated all three so it would not be cool to give you a free pass, do you agree?)

Haunted

MFauli said:
ARGH XD
And i didnt get the chance to play against tanasten last time, we both missed our match ;-)
But..argh, do i have to lose or win against maxmars to not to have to play against tanasten? XD tanasten was the favorite for the last cup afaik ^^
:lol Not much you can do right now - tanasten still has some games left, so any change would have to happen in Group B. But consider this: tanasten might have been the favourite for the first Cup - but he got beaten and didn't win it. Plus, his setup is not perfect at the moment, he lost twice in this Cup as well, so I say you have all the chances to beat him. On the other hand... he is damn strong and will probably demolish you. :lol
j/k - give it your best and you'll be fine. Man, I love this Cup

maxmars said:
MMF, I will try to be online tomorrow again, but if I can't, we'll be both assigned no points (same with bo130) for our match. We will both collect a win against darktails since he disappeared.

I think it's the fairest solution for everyone considering that a) we both were around so it's not like one of us disappeared and b) it's fair for those I've already played (apart from haunted, I beated all three so it would not be cool to give you a free pass, do you agree?)
You can't play on the weekend at all?

Considering that Bo, MFauli and you were around all the time, I think considering the games as not played is pretty fair. I'll change the tables to accomodate this option, but we'll use the option on Monday, when all is said and done. Maybe you get the chance to play your games after all. :)

maxmars

I'm away from friday morning up to monday evening, then I'm in and out but I can't say with certainty when I can connect to play (if at all).

I´ll try to be there tomorow, maxmars. I think you could easily beat me this time as it was very close last time, so i dont want to steal you any points ;-)

maxmars

MasterMFauli said:
I´ll try to be there tomorow, maxmars. I think you could easily beat me this time as it was very close last time, so i dont want to steal you any points ;-)

Ah, but I wouldn't make any use of those points anyway. :lol

edit: I'll try to be there, but I'm also preparing stuff for my travels (buying, washing, stuffing etc) so I don't really know when I can be online. I'll post from home if I see I have an idle moment.

Bo130

I'm available today as well. Let's see if we can play the game :)

I'd also like a non-cup game with you sometime, tanasten :)

Koren

I've found a new funny trick with Waluigi... Make the GK go away from his goal, and use Waluigi's special to build a wall to block him from coming back. If you manage to get the ball when it comes back into play, free kick in an empty goal ;)

Not particularly efficient, but definitely fun to try.

Koren

dk_ : Thanks for the match, and sorry for the below average second half, I received a phone call :( But the first one was really close...

Haunted

Koren said:
I've found a new funny trick with Waluigi... Make the GK go away from his goal, and use Waluigi's special to build a wall to block him from coming back. If you manage to get the ball when it comes back into play, free kick in an empty goal ;)

Not particularly efficient, but definitely fun to try.
:lol That's awesome.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
_dk

Please let me know if we can play, Darktails disappeared so we'll both collect our points, then yours is the only match that I still need to play and it's fair to say it's crucial since the one between us who'll win the series will be the one going to the next round.

I can be online even now if you want, just let me know.

EDIT (Italy/Germany/etc time):
5:30pm
Edit2:
6:30pm

Still here :)

EDIT3:
7:30pm
Going out for dinner...
EDIT4: 8:25 staying here another 20 minutes
EDIT5: gone ^__^

I'm available today at 16 CET (4pm) not 12am CET like I previously posted. So if anyone from group B wants to get a game in leave a message here.

Swisslink

Phife...
I've some problem with the Wlan...
Can't go online atm and dunno why >_<
I had to wait around 10min to load this Thread >_<

Sorry...
I hope tomarrow the WLan will be better, otherwise it's a win for you :/

edit: ok, i'm online now, dunno if it will work...
Otherwise -> win for you ;)

edit2: ok, was a bit laggy, but I think it was ok...
First game this week, so many mistakes, but yeah ^^

Swisslink 2 (7) - (3) 0 Phife Dawg

4:3
3:0

Good Game :)

So we finally managed to play the game

Phife 0 (3) - swiss 2 (7)

The first one was real close (3-4) in the second one he more or less steamrolled me. But at least I tried to play a bit more offensively this time :lol .

edit:

For me it was the other way round. Second one was a really bad game with lots of mistakes from my side :D .

Haunted

Aside from Darktails, who I don't think wil show up anytime soon, these guys here:
maxmars
radioheadrule83
Toma
Phife Dawg
nli10

are the ones with the most games missing - try to play some more games before the deadline tomorrow night! :p

Group Tables have been updated with the Phife/Swiss game. :)

edit: Did you try to contact him per PM, dk_? Might be worth a try.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
dk_ said:
I'm gonna be online for a full hour.

Edit: I'm still at home so post here if you're ready Dash.

I can't see you online though, I am anyway so I'll invite you as soon as you show up (if you can)...

EDIT: I dropped out immediately, I'm not gonna play with this much lag even my last match sorry ^__^

Let's try again

dk_

Dash Kappei 0 (2) - (7) 2 dk_

Thanks for the game! First one was pretty close, the second not so much. :p

selig

Banned
hi,

mfauli wrote me via ICQ to tell you that you please tell him the up-coming match-configuration per ICQ. His number is 148198180.

He got banned by Amirox because of saying that Okami always seemed like a natural fit for Wii. Dont know what´s wrong with saying that, seems like that mod had his fanboy-day. Anyway, please dont remove him from the tournament.

cu,
selig

Koren

Online doesn't work where I am, so I'm playing offline challenges till I'll be able to go back online, on tuesday.

So a quick little question not cup-related : would you have any advices for Yoshi's challenge (winning in 1:04 with a 5 goal handicap, with two Hammer Bros and a Koopa) ? Computer is really aggresive, goal keeper stop most (even perfect) balls from Superstrikes, and I find Yoshi's special really uneffective... :(

selig said:
He got banned by Amirox because of saying that Okami always seemed like a natural fit for Wii. Dont know what´s wrong with saying that
Not sure neither... but that's really unfortunate :( Those two lives didn't last long :(

Haunted

selig said:
mfauli wrote me via ICQ to tell you that you please tell him the up-coming match-configuration per ICQ. His number is 148198180.

He got banned by Amirox because of saying that Okami always seemed like a natural fit for Wii. Dont know what´s wrong with saying that, seems like that mod had his fanboy-day. Anyway, please dont remove him from the tournament.
I ****ing told him. :lol :lol We'll see who his next opponent will be and work something out with other communication methods. If he clears his cache, he can at least follow this thread, even if he can't post.

Koren said:
Online doesn't work where I am, so I'm playing offline challenges till I'll be able to go back online, on tuesday.

So a quick little question not cup-related : would you have any advices for Yoshi's challenge (winning in 1:04 with a 5 goal handicap, with two Hammer Bros and a Koopa) ? Computer is really aggresive, goal keeper stop most (even perfect) balls from Superstrikes, and I find Yoshi's special really uneffective... :(
Man, I've lost count how often I had to try that challenge. hardest one in the game, imo. The best way to beat it is to play lots of high passes (since the enemy is so aggressive, you should be able to get a star quick) From there, it's just trying one mega-strike after the other. It seemed random how many the goalie was able to block - meaning that your chances with a white/green mega-strike were as good as with an orange one. Just try to get as many shots in as possible (e.g. 6 whites > 4 orange). I know that's not really helpful advice, but that's the only thing I've got. :lol Like I said, I found that one really hard as well. Good luck.

ROUGHLY 11 HOURS, 23 MINUTES LEFT TO PLAY YOUR GAMES, PEOPLE. LAST CHANCE AND ALL THAT: :p

I'll make the playoff matches known when I've tallied all the games and those that are still missing on Monday (we'll need to decide on the forfeited matches at that point, as well - so please check the thread once or twice on Monday, in case you're affected).

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I'd really, really like to play my remaining match against Toma today, but seeing as he doesn't log in since Tuesday, I'm finding that it won't be possible. :(

Toma, please post here if you're counting on playing today.

Toma, Phife Dawg and Nli10... I'm gonna be online today if you wanna try and catch me and play. Some of you are still showing as "connecting" -- I don't know what thats all about, perhaps it will fix when we're all online? I'm going to try re-adding you just in case.

Drake, I'm logged in now but I still can't see you. Even after deleting and re-adding.

Are you online?

Have you added me?

radioheadrule83 said:
Toma, Phife Dawg and Nli10... I'm gonna be online today if you wanna try and catch me and play. Some of you are still showing as "connecting" -- I don't know what thats all about, perhaps it will fix when we're all online? I'm going to try re-adding you just in case.
Online now.

Nli10 shows as connecting as well. I tried re-adding all the people who were still connecting but so far it has only worked for Tanasten

Haunted

Deleting and re-adding only works when the other person either is online at that moment or goes online shortly thereafter (in the span of a few hours, I think). So know that those that are still 'connecting' are online and then delete and re-add. That did the trick for me everytime.

Toma told me that he's really busy this week, so if he doesn't show up, I'm supposed to count his games as forfeited by him. Of course it would be nice if he'd show up, but real life tends to get in the way of our hobby sometimes. :/

edit: nli10 has its PM inbox full, so I couldn't remind him. :( Hope he's reading this! :p

Haunted One said:
Deleting and re-adding only works when the other person either is online at that moment or goes online shortly thereafter (in the span of a few hours, I think). So know that those that are still 'connecting' are online and then delete and re-add. That did the trick for me everytime.

Toma told me that he's really busy this week, so if he doesn't show up, I'm supposed to count his games as forfeited by him. Of course it would be nice if he'd show up, but real life tends to get in the way of our hobby sometimes. :/
Hm OK. Radiohead will be online in a short while so I hope that works out.

Drake, where are you?

Phife 2 (14) - Radiohead 1 (8) (I think)

Intense matches.

First one was won by Radiohead in overtime 4-3, with me equalising the score seconds before the timer ran out.

Second one was won by me 5-4 with Radiohead being behind really fast thanks to a mega-strike but then scoring goal after goal in mere seconds. I was lucky to survive and win that one :D .

Third I had an early lead and then made an orange mega-strike, netting me 3 goals and the win.

Drake, I'm still waiting for you...

Top Bottom