• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

spwolf

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GCQ7022/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Seems like the Trio came out? No idea if it's any good...

Both AMD and Intel announced they will support dual os...
http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/52...-that-run-both-windows-and-android/in/5046515

seems like a good solution to get more apps for tablet mode, in case WinRT is lacking - and it is missing a lot of specific apps too. Although, right now I am interested in dirt cheap atom tablets only, so whats out now between all the players, is pretty good for me (Either Thinkpad 8 or T100).

inShare
It barely got a mention at Intel's CES 2014 press conference this evening, but Dual OS is real. The company confirmed that Intel processors will power computers that can switch between Windows and Android with the press of a button, just like the Asus Transformer Book Duet we tried earlier today. Intel demonstrated the technology on a laptop during the company's press conference, right after introducing "Intel Device Protection Technology," an idea that should help Intel-based Android devices meet corporate standards for enterprise security.

Intel isn't the only company pursuing Windows and Android in the same device here at CES, however. Earlier today, AMD announced a partnership with BlueStacks to run fullscreen and windowed Android apps within Windows itself, with the help of an ARM processor core inside new AMD chips that can run some Android code natively.

zou

Dumb decision. Lets hope Asus will get this right with their new 8". It's pathetic that Samsung seems to be the only OEM that cares about stylus input and they only do it for Android devices.

about par for lenovo these days. have you seen the pathetic x1 carbon refresh? guess Kushner (sp) has been busy.

I just got an Acer Iconia W4-820 today. http://www.acer.com.au/ac/en/AU/content/model/NT.L31SA.001

Does anyone have suggestions for recommended apps on these 8 inch tablets?

Flipboard, Facebook, Twitter or Tweetium, Hyper (Youtube app... must have), Netflix, Hulu, Spotlite (Spotify app), Comixology, Plex (If you steam your own media), Nextgen Reader
(RSS Feed reader), Despicable Me, Skype, Pinball FX2, Music Maker Jam, Fhotoroom, Tunein.

Tablo

about par for lenovo these days. have you seen the pathetic x1 carbon refresh? guess Kushner (sp) has been busy.

Just curious, how is it pathetic? I think it's a good upgrade, 1440p touch is great, not like I would want them to make the chassis too slim anyways, it's a ThinkPad, I want it to be durable.

I'm guessing you mean Asus. Lenovo's newly announced 8" ThinkPad tablet doesn't have an active digitizer.

Now this makes more sense, yes.

It's a bit weird, but I feel like the Asus and all other 8" Windows tablets announced at CES are already dated, considering 64-bit Atoms are around the corner. I know it's stupid to think that right now, but I don't feel like those are future-proof devices, like PCs would normally be. I highly doubt we'll another major 32-bit release of Windows, so there's some concern that the current Windows line is the dead end for these devices.

Then again, they are still tablets and tablets are throwaway products, I guess.

Tablo

Agreed, lack of 64 bit is annoying, and entirely on MS's count, but given the chips are 64 bit capable, could this be fixed with software?

Weird, for some reason I thought these Bay Trail Atoms weren't 64-bit capable, hence my rant from 2012. Was I thinking about 4 GB models of those Bay Trail tablets coming in H1 2014? I don't even know anymore.

Kaworu

I'm installing some games on my new Toshiba Encore. I want to use my corded xbox 360 controller to play them, I need a usb otg cable to connect it, right?

Weird, for some reason I thought these Bay Trail Atoms weren't 64-bit capable, hence my rant from 2012. Was I thinking about 4 GB models of those Bay Trail tablets coming in H1 2014? I don't even know anymore.

They will be coming. There are some Pentium branded D series Baytrail laptops and convertibles already at the show with 4GB of RAM. Z series Baytrail SKUs with 4GB of RAM should follow shortly.

The only real negative thing I can say about the Asus VivoTab Note 8 is the name and the big fat Asus logo on the front, instead of a Windows home button. What the fuck.

Y0n4M0y.jpg

The fact that I can't get one of those pretentious artsy book cover cases (like the Dodo) for this one also sucks.

rrs

My "tablet PC" is powered by a i5 low-voltage CPU. It's not as slim as the ~$300 ones in here but it's more practical as well.

I'm installing some games on my new Toshiba Encore. I want to use my corded xbox 360 controller to play them, I need a usb otg cable to connect it, right?

Unless it has USB ports on it, you will need one.

RayStorm

My "tablet PC" is powered by a i5 low-voltage CPU. It's not as slim as the ~$300 ones in here but it's more practical as well.

Practicality lies in the eye of the beholder. I like that I can put my 8" tablet into a pocket of my jacket and carry it around without having to carry an extra bag. But... obviously there are things I dislike as well, like the lack of (micro)USB-ports. There's just one. How am I ever going to use my trackball, a real keyboard and an external HDD while charging the tablet at the same time?

rrs

Practicality lies in the eye of the beholder. I like that I can put my 8" tablet into a pocket of my jacket and carry it around without having to carry an extra bag. But... obviously there are things I dislike as well, like the lack of (micro)USB-ports. There's just one. How am I ever going to use my trackball, a real keyboard and an external HDD while charging the tablet at the same time?

More practical in the number of ports and being a convertible device, rather than size. I do miss my smaller iPad and battery life, but until Microsoft fixes certain things I perfer what I got.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I like the look of the Lenovo. Not too concerned about stylus support. Hope we see the Surface Mini at the Build conference.

Orayn

My T100 shipped today! Should be getting it early next week, pretty excited to have a portable again since my normal laptop's been nigh unusable since Spring 2012.

I REALLY hope the Thinkpad 8 will be available through the Microsoft Store when it comes out later this month. I'm getting a beefy giftcard to the Microsoft Store right around the beginning of February that should be enough for me to pick one up.

16:10, 1920x1200 resolution, same atom processor as the Venue Pro 11, really nice magnetic cover/stand.

Seems super solid and all the impressions have been quite positive.

Mook1e

I REALLY hope the Thinkpad 8 will be available through the Microsoft Store when it comes out later this month. I'm getting a beefy giftcard to the Microsoft Store right around the beginning of February that should be enough for me to pick one up.

16:10, 1920x1200 resolution, same atom processor as the Venue Pro 11, really nice magnetic cover/stand.

Yeah, I'm loving what I'm reading about this thing and the look of it so far. I wish they made a small keyboard for it, but that would probably be pretty cramped. Maybe paired with the Microsoft wedge?
I want it!
I wish it were available now. I'll be traveling for business starting in 2 weeks.

Agreed, I already took back my Dell Venue 8 Pro and will wait for this instead. This is everything the DV8P should have been.

For tablets that have micro-usb ports like these 8in Win8 tablets, can you plug in a USB hub and have more than one things working at once? For example, if you wanted to plug in a Logitech wireless dongle in one port and a flash drive in the other. Is there enough power for something like that?

Yeah, I'm loving what I'm reading about this thing and the look of it so far. I wish they made a small keyboard for it, but that would probably be pretty cramped. Maybe paired with the Microsoft wedge?
I want it!
I wish it were available now. I'll be traveling for business starting in 2 weeks.

I imagine It would work with any Bluetooth keyboards, or you could get a micro-to-full USB cable (OTG) and plug in a wireless keyboard dongle. It's suppose to launch later in January, so it's possible it may be out in as little as two weeks (but knowing most companies it will come out early Feb or the last day of Jan).

For tablets that have micro-usb ports like these 8in Win8 tablets, can you plug in a USB hub and have more than one things working at once? For example, if you wanted to plug in a Logitech wireless dongle in one port and a flash drive in the other. Is there enough power for something like that?

I can only go off my experience with the DV8P and state there was not enough power for a USB Harddrive and I had to use a powered USB hub. That said I'd imagine that most are like this.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Is there a particular way to go about the DV8P updates properly? I'm concerned in particular about the screen brightness on mine. It comes across as dim to me and when I try to adjust the brightness settings manually it only seems to switch between two settings; dim and slightly less dim.

Is there a particular way to go about the DV8P updates properly? I'm concerned in particular about the screen brightness on mine. It comes across as dim to me and when I try to adjust the brightness settings manually it only seems to switch between two settings; dim and slightly less dim.

I don't think the updates fixed that, you have to just disable the automatic dimming.

endre

Could someone recommend a good battery usage application for Win8.1? I have the t100 for a few weeks now, and I still have no idea how long does it take to charge...

joshschw

So, I didn't find that Asus Note 8 running Wacom at CES, but I did find a 4GB RAM Baytrail tablet with Wacom at the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAu2-lhCzM&feature=youtu.be

I have not had my Samsung Atom-based tablet with WACOM for many months now... in Metro apps there was always loads more lag using the pen than just desktop programs. Example... in OneNote MX it was laggy, but in OneNote 2013 it was fine.

This is sort of unrelated to the video, but has this improved?

Also, that Fujitsu tablet looks nice, but it's going to cost a lot more than the cheap competition. I love Fujitsu computers

I have not had my Samsung Atom-based tablet with WACOM for many months now... in Metro apps there was always loads more lag using the pen than just desktop programs. Example... in OneNote MX it was laggy, but in OneNote 2013 it was fine.

This is sort of unrelated to the video, but has this improved?

Also, that Fujitsu tablet looks nice, but it's going to cost a lot more than the cheap competition. I love Fujitsu computers

I noticed no lag on Baytrail. It's fast!

This Fujitsu (Q584) is $879, but they are more expensive than others, I own a T902 and I love it.

endre

I still have no idea how long does it take to charge...

In case anyone wonders, I put the tablet to charge when I posted. It was below 5% percent when I shut it down last night. I just noticed it is full. So I guess 3-3,5 hours is the charging time.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
My DV8P's shitty digitizer fixed itself magically overnight. I can now type like a normal person without expecting repeated strokes.

Jesus.

aaaaa0

Could someone recommend a good battery usage application for Win8.1? I have the t100 for a few weeks now, and I still have no idea how long does it take to charge...

Powercfg.exe /batteryreport will generate an html with a bunch of useful info.

Top Bottom