• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

M3d10n

Anyone tried installing Bluestacks on these? If it works well, you could easily have it double as an Android tablet and get access to tons of touch-friendly apps and games.

spwolf

Comparison of the Dell Venue Pro 8" and the Lenovo Ideatab Miix 8" (both available on Amazon for $299):

http://www.surfacegeeks.net/forums/index.php?/topic/878-dell-venue-pro-8-vs-lenovo-miix-2-8/

BYe8mW_CUAAqzbN.jpg

Basically the Lenovo Miix has slightly better cameras (2MP vs. 1.2MP | 8MP vs. 5MP) and better placement of the Windows key on the front. He claims the Lenovo display is slightly sharper. The Lenovo is marginally slimmer and lighter though the devices are basically the same size. The Dell has a better grippy texture on the back. The Lenovo has much more bloatware, but it can be easily uninstalled. The Dell sounds like it might have a better stylus option than the Lenovo which could be the deciding factor for some people.

Lenovo Miix unboxing video

Dell Venue Pro unboxing video

wow... amazing price.

so, which one is the one to get now? €299 is incredibly nice price... i cant believe on the forum where pc is championed, these get left behind of run-of-the-mill ipad.

Ebuyer has them too, slightly cheaper than Dell too.

Either they didn't have it in early December when I ordered it or I completely failed to find it via Google. Either way I'm kicking myself; if I knew they had stock I'd have cancelled this stupid Dell order long ago.

I would call and complain and get some money back.... that is up to you.

I definitely will. Especially with it being Christmas time, having a pre-Christmas date promised and no discernible reason for a delay nor was I informed. I'm not the only one either, the Dell support forum has quite a few disappointed Christmas customers. I knew they were bad with delivery times, but worse yet they don't even seem to care.

dLMN8R

I'm kinds sick of these shallow comparisons between the dell and the Lenovo. the Lenovo is noticeably weaker in brightness control and speaker quality, at least in my experience. The Lenovo has a crappy, quiet, distorted quality while the Dell's is loud and clear. The Lenovo doesn't get dim enough for dark rooms. None of the reviews I've seen have gone into either quality.

endre

It's here under drivers & tools.

You can uninstall reading mode here as well.

I also noticed touchpad sensitivity improved by uninstalling smart gesture and reinstalling it via the support page. Unchecking what you don't need is also a good idea. Obviously up to you.

I wanted to these now, but my t100 started giving me headaches. I got as far as uninstalling smart gestures, when the tablet started bugging. It seems it thinks the screen is constantly pressed at one point...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I wanted to these now, but my t100 started giving me headaches. I got as far as uninstalling smart gestures, when the tablet started bugging. It seems it thinks the screen is constantly pressed at one point...

Holy shit, turns out I'm not crazy.

It looks like I have the exact same issue with my Dell Venue 8 Pro. It's driving me bonkers, because at times the tablet flips out for no apparent reason and thinks I'm swipping across the screen or just touching on a particular part of it, opening, closing and switching apps by itself. It's as bewildering as annoying. I have to turn the thing off, otherwise the tablet gets stuck in a neverending cycle of multitouch bullshit.

It looks like I have the exact same issue with my Dell Venue 8 Pro. It's driving me bonkers, because at times the tablet flips out for no apparent reason and thinks I'm swipping across the screen or just touching on a particular part of it, opening, closing and switching apps by itself. It's as bewildering as annoying. I have to turn the thing off, otherwise the tablet gets stuck in a neverending cycle of multitouch bullshit.

The whole "scroll up = crazy zooming" its also annoying,

endre

In my case restarting does not help. Even the point where it thinks it is pressed is always highlighted. When --i try to do something with my fingers 99% of cases I only get to resize the window, because it registers more than one touch points. I will now uninstall and delete my stuff and ask for a new device tomorrow. That could be a problem here in Serbia...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
In my case restarting does not help. Even the point where it thinks it is pressed is always highlighted. When --i try to do something with my fingers 99% of cases I only get to resize the window, because it registers more than one touch points. I will now uninstall and delete my stuff and ask for a new device tomorrow. That could be a problem here in Serbia...
Yeah, same thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Reinstalling won't solve it, I'm afraid. I tried it and I got the same bug during the installation process (trying to set the hour, language and e-mail with the tablet spazzing out was quite the ordeal).

I thought I got a defective unit, but seeing that it trascends makers and models it looks like it may be driver related. I just hope they release a patch soon, because so far it's making my device 100% unusable at times.

endre

I know reinstalling will not help. I only removed my personal stuff and did a system restore. This has to be a defective unit. The digitizer is defective. I am afraid the shop will not want to give me a new one. I cannot afford to have it dragged through service. I am leaving the country around 5th of January. Also I do not want a unit which is broken already. I read the local IT forums before buying, nobody complained about a defective touch panel.

On the other hand I was very happy with it until it started acting up.

endre

Lol @ my luck. I returned the tablet to the shop and it was working flawlessly.

EDIT: The speakers on this thing are quite a pleasant surprise.

spwolf

i am very positive on this development from Intel, device manufacturers and Microsoft. Windows 8 finally makes sense...

If they sell decently (and they are being pushed in Europe), I can see software companies making their Windows applications working better with touch input quite fast.

It doesnt really take a lot of effort to adjust them, just (small) amount of time... We will be adding touch mode to our software within a month of receiving our devices, i am sure everyone else will be doing the same.

spwolf

Lol @ my luck. I returned the tablet to the shop and it was working flawlessly.

EDIT: The speakers on this thing are quite a pleasant surprise.

so hardware is not defective :)

Hows the screen on T100? I am looking to get that as well as one Venue Pro 8... T100 makes more sense than Venue Pro 11, as I dont plan to make it primary computer, "just" ipad replacement where i use it mostly for streaming movies (usually SD)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
My only issue with the T100 is its battery life. I don't believe I have a defective battery (have downloaded some test apps and got 100% ratings), but it can drain pretty quickly when doing anything apart from basic web browsing.

That's to be expected, sure, but I have yet to get the promised 8-11 hours of battery life out of this thing.

Still, I guess I shouldn't be complaining about being able to watch 3-4 hours of HD video before a charge is needed.

endre

so hardware is not defective :)

Hows the screen on T100? I am looking to get that as well as one Venue Pro 8... T100 makes more sense than Venue Pro 11, as I dont plan to make it primary computer, "just" ipad replacement where i use it mostly for streaming movies (usually SD)

What if it's a faulty connection somewhere? Idk.

I am satisfied with the screen, but probably I ain't a reliable source as I have very little experience with tablets. it would be better if it were factory calibrated,

Now if someone could offer an affordable A4 sized e-ink reader I would have every gadget I really need and want for the foreseeable future.

The BIOS was already updated? Did you check to see if narrator is turned on?

spwolf

Wait what? Where is this?

apparently they were out in some parts of the world already... they have both 32 gb and 64gb models with 500GB HDD in the dock/keyboard. It is coming to Europe mid-january according online lists from retailers in germany.

ASUS Transformer Book T100TA-DK007H W8.1 inkl. KeyboardDock mit 500GB HDD

32 GB version is affordable, 64bit a bit more expensive (over non+500GB).

not much is known about extra weight or size, etc, so they might be similar enough... battery life will be impacted a bit when using HDD but i dont think thats a big problem.

Calmine

apparently they were out in some parts of the world already... they have both 32 gb and 64gb models with 500GB HDD in the dock/keyboard. It is coming to Europe mid-january according online lists from retailers in germany.

not much is known about extra weight or size, etc, so they might be similar enough... battery life will be impacted a bit when using HDD but i dont think thats a big problem.

Interesting, might hold out for one of those, almost bit the bullet and bought the T100 a little while a go.

Might be why Ebuyer are no longer stocking them, lets hope they get these in and they not too much more expensive in the UK.

Being truthful the UK price is retarded compared to US/EU prices. £350 32GB and $399 64GB US!? Madness.

Danj

new models with 500GB HDD in the keyboard are coming in 2 weeks as well... people using it as ordinary laptop might want to wait for that.

Wait what? Where is this?

OK well that's interesting...

But anyway for me the story is, I won a £1,000 Selfridges gift voucher shortly before Christmas. Spent just under £500 on gifts for my parents etc. so I have about £510 left on it which is why I need to get it from there. They ran out of the T100 just before Christmas though and have yet to restock, I wonder if they'll get this new model in (the T100 was £350 which was great, would have left me some money over to get something else as well, or some accessories).

spwolf

On the forums here:

http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-book-t100/

Someone mentioned that the HD burns through battery and drops battery life from 9 hours to 5 hours, which is a significant consideration.

HDD spends more battery than SD, when you use it.. but i suspect thats not a problem since most people will also be able to charge it when its docked. 500GB is going to make it as usable as any other laptop, it is great idea from ASUS.

I am petty set on ordering it over Dell or Lenovo, due to the size... Dell 11" is nicer, a lot... but also significantly more expensive. Maybe they will reveal some competitors during CES.

Haint

Anyone tried installing Bluestacks on these? If it works well, you could easily have it double as an Android tablet and get access to tons of touch-friendly apps and games.

Last time I tried BS it installed like 50 start up services and processes and kinda took over the system. Was very heavy and bloated. If its still like that it'd murder these Atom systems.

dLMN8R

I don't know what a homegroup is. Also my internet is really slow, I can't upload all those files.

I mean your local home network...do you have wireless at your place? Connect both devices to the same network, join them both to the same homegroup, and transfer the files over using Explorer.

It's just a normal PC like any other normal PC. Homegroup can be found in PC Settings, or just by doing a search. Super-simple networking. One machine sets it up, the other machines join it with a single tap/click + password. You can then click and drag files between them at will.

kmfdmpig

Tried it and it seemed to work. Didn't work well for what I needed as I couldn't figure out how to move files to a place it could recognize, so I unistalled. Didn't install any junkware for me.

spwolf

Last time I tried BS it installed like 50 start up services and processes and kinda took over the system. Was very heavy and bloated. If its still like that it'd murder these Atom systems.

these atom's are not that slow anymore... they should have called them something else, not atoms... faster than core 2's of few years back, especially for multithreaded apps.

This shit is impossible.

You can do this several ways;

Use an OTG cable to connect your tablet to your PC vs USB.
Use an OTG cable to connect USB thumb drive to your tablet.
Use an OTG cable to connect a USB powered hub to the tablet so you can use a USB enabled harddrive.
Setup a FTP server on your PC (Recommend filezilla FTP serve) and install an FTP client on you tablet to transfer back and forth.
Setup your tablet and PC to be on either a homegroup or work group so they see each other can transfer files.

The FTP is the easier and quickest option honestly. I have a how-to on install and configuring Filezilla FTP server on my tech blog, it will get you through the steps - here.
Then download the client (here) on your tablet and connect to the FTP server and you're set.

nilbog21

Banned

really? that's what I was most afraid of buying a tablet, but I've never had any problems with my V8P. surely u have all the appropriate updates and firmware?/

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
really? that's what I was most afraid of buying a tablet, but I've never had any problems with my V8P. surely u have all the appropriate updates and firmware?/
Absolutely. I think I'm going to change it ASAP seeing how I'm in the minority. This reeks of a faulty digitizer.

Edit: This is an American unit, but I believe that Dell Europe will take it.

mm04

Just bought a Lenovo Miix 2. Amazon dropped the price to 249.99 to match Best Buy and I had $110 in gift cards, so I thought what the heck. Set to arrive this weekend, so I'll give feedback then.

Thinking about selling my Surface Pro for a Asus T100. The Pro is very nice indeed, but I think the tradeoff of having an adjustable tilt, lighter tablet, and longer battery life will be worth it.

The #2 use of my Surface Pro is Android apps, and I was wondering if anyone here has experience with running BlueStacks, YouWave, or any other Android emulator on the T100? And if so, how does it run? youtube videos make it look like a mixed bag. Sucks that not a lot of people have had success with bluetooth.

Top Bottom