• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

Broken Age, which happens to have relatively steep requirements for an adventure game, runs pretty well on the VP8. You'll need a mouse though.

dLMN8R

Really? I tried Broken Age on the V8P and it was really slow and choppy, almost unplayable...did you change any settings?

I was running the game off an SD card, maybe it's disk-dependent or something?

Really? I tried Broken Age on the V8P and it was really slow and choppy, almost unplayable...did you change any settings?

I was running the game off an SD card, maybe it's disk-dependent or something?

Yeah put it on the main drive. I'll bet that's the problem.

Karish

Can someone tell me how to get mobile neogaf on my DVP8? I got to m.neogaf.com but when I click anything it redirects to normal version...

D3RANG3D

So am I screwed? I don't understand how there's no solution to this. I just want mobile gaf!!

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2762879?hl=en

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/..._source=en-et-na-us-oc-webstrhm&utm_medium=et

Firefox Aurora seems to have an option in Windows 8 Metro mode to act as a mobile browser and display the mobile sites.

Not that i can see...

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-install-windows-8-metro-style-firefox

D3RANG3D

The Chrome plugin is very welcome, thank you! However the Mozilla is just a link, I'm looking for instructions on how to render mobile gaf. IE would be ideal...

The mozilla link is instructions to get firefox aurora in metro mode, on IE i'm not sure as of yet.

Karish

The mozilla link is instructions to get firefox aurora in metro mode, on IE i'm not sure as of yet.
I'm trying to view GAF in mobile mode. Not just use a browser in metro mode. Even in metro mode, chrome, Firefox, and IE all view GAF in normal view

D3RANG3D

I'm trying to view GAF in mobile mode. Not just use a browser in metro mode. Even in metro mode, chrome, Firefox, and IE all view GAF in normal view

I understood that, so if you use aurora in metro mode and type in m.neogaf.com does it revert back to regular GAF?

Does the chrome mobile GAF extension revert back to regular GAF?

I don't think there is a way to make mobile GAF work with IE.

aaaaa0

I understood that, so if you use aurora in metro mode and type in m.neogaf.com does it revert back to regular GAF?

Does the chrome mobile GAF extension revert back to regular GAF?

I don't think there is a way to make mobile GAF work with IE.

If you're on the Desktop IE, hit F12, then click the bottom icon ("Emulation") on the toolbar on the left. Then click "Browser Profile" and pick "Windows Phone".

I don't know if this works on Metro IE.

This setting will stick until you close the IE window.

D3RANG3D

If you're on the Desktop IE, hit F12, then click the bottom icon ("Emulation") on the toolbar on the left. Then click "Browser Profile" and pick "Windows Phone".

I don't know if this works on Metro IE.

This setting will stick until you close the IE window.

He wants to view mobile gaf in IE, if you type in m.neogaf.com it only works on the main page of neogaf, if you try to actually browse the forum it reverts back to regular gaf.

aaaaa0

He wants to view mobile gaf in IE, if you type in m.neogaf.com it only works on the main page of neogaf, if you try to actually browse the forum it reverts back to regular gaf.

If you hit F12, and set the emulation mode to Windows Phone like I said above, then it will stay on mobile GAF until you revert the setting or close the IE window.

This works on the Desktop mode IE11 on my Dell Venue 8 Pro. I just tried it.

D3RANG3D

If you hit F12, and set the emulation mode to Windows Phone like I said above, then it will stay on mobile GAF until you revert the setting or close the IE window.

This works on the Desktop mode IE11 on my Dell Venue 8 Pro. I just tried it.

I just retried it and it finally works, I did it the same way before and it didn't work. It would be nice if there was a more permanent solution.

aaaaa0

I tried it on windows 8 on my desktop PC no dice.

You have to leave the F12 window open (you can minimize it). If you close the window it will revert to non-mobile mode.

I am posting this from m.neogaf.com in IE11 desktop mode, Windows 8.1 on a Dell Venue 8 Pro.

Best Buy no longer carries the Transformer T100. Neither does a local store where I live that used to carry them a couple of months ago. Maybe Asus is bailing on them. I hope not.

RayStorm

Not that i can see...

And you are right. I was mistaken by the Mozilla help page (swipe from the right side - help) which is displayed on the first start of Aurora. This one shows a bar that looks quite a bit like it was part of the browser with the option to display in mobile mode. But regrettably it is part of the help page and not of Aurora.

Karish

And you are right. I was mistaken by the Mozilla help page swipe from the right side - help) which is displayed on the first start of Aurora. This one shows a bar that looks quite a bit like it was part of the browser with the option to display in mobile mode. But regrettably it is part of the help page and not of Aurora.

No worries. I am loving the browser so thanks for making me aware of it!

aaaaa0

Microsoft just pushed out a fix for Halo Spartan Assault, it now works properly on the 8" 768x1280 screens like the Dell Venue 8 Pro, etc.

Yay!

spwolf

Firefox Aurora seems to have an option in Windows 8 Metro mode to act as a mobile browser and display the mobile sites.

Aurora Metro is very pretty... but so far it seems broken, i cant go to my gmail account with it :).

Still, Desktop Aurora seems good for flash gaming, settlers online work the best with it out of all browsers i checked.

Raxious

Anyone got experience with the Acer W700?

I saw it in a store today, and noticed it's got almost the exact same specs as a Surface Pro

Intel Core i5-3317U
Intel HD Graphics 4000
4GB RAM
128 GB SSD

Now here's the thing, this costs 749 euros, while the Surface Pro is being sold for 599.

However, the W700 comes with a keyboard and sleeve, something you gotta buy for the Surface. The surface Pro 2 costs 979 and also needs to have all the extra accessory's.
The only thing I noticed is that there's no way to increase the storage on the W700, so I'm stuck with 128GB.

As I mentioned earlier I'd love to have a tablet that is capable of playing a couple of games live Civ 5 and such.

I'm really curious if someone can give me an opinion about the W700.

venne

Anyone got experience with the Acer W700?

I saw it in a store today, and noticed it's got almost the exact same specs as a Surface Pro

Intel Core i5-3317U
Intel HD Graphics 4000
4GB RAM
128 GB SSD

Now here's the thing, this costs 749 euros, while the Surface Pro is being sold for 599.

However, the W700 comes with a keyboard and sleeve, something you gotta buy for the Surface. The surface Pro 2 costs 979 and also needs to have all the extra accessory's.
The only thing I noticed is that there's no way to increase the storage on the W700, so I'm stuck with 128GB.

As I mentioned earlier I'd love to have a tablet that is capable of playing a couple of games live Civ 5 and such.

I'm really curious if someone can give me an opinion about the W700.

Got one for my mother in law for about $500. If the surface pro was that price; I would have gone that route instead. It was a couple hundred more when I bought the W700.

I can't speak to all W700, but my MIL's feels kind of off. Touch is a bit wonky and I find myself having to press things twice or push harder than I would expect. It was also loaded up with a bunch of garbage that I deleted.

Hers came with a sleeve with a built in keyboard. Like you, I didn't want to spring for the surface accessories and this was cheaper with everything she needed (keyboard, sleeve, and dock). If the surface was similarly priced, I would gone with one of those instead.

Raxious

Got one for my mother in law for about $500. If the surface pro was that price; I would have gone that route instead. It was a couple hundred more when I bought the W700.

I can't speak to all W700, but my MIL's feels kind of off. Touch is a bit wonky and I find myself having to press things twice or push harder than I would expect. It was also loaded up with a bunch of garbage that I deleted.

Hers came with a sleeve with a built in keyboard. Like you, I didn't want to spring for the surface accessories and this was cheaper with everything she needed (keyboard, sleeve, and dock). If the surface was similarly priced, I would gone with one of those instead.

Mmm, thanks, I honestly got no idea what I should do.

Bit-Bit

I just picked up a Dell Venue 8 Pro for my girlfriend.

Any place where I can get an active stylus for cheap that works with the DV8Pro?

ReconPeon

Im seriously having a very hard time deciding between the Venue 8 Pro, Vivotab Note 8, and Thinkpad 8. On one hand I want a stylus, on the other hand the Lenovo is slightly more powerful with a higher resolution. I just don't know if the Lenovo is worth the extra cash. Another issue is I can't find the Asus anywhere.

spwolf

Im seriously having a very hard time deciding between the Venue 8 Pro, Vivotab Note 8, and Thinkpad 8. On one hand I want a stylus, on the other hand the Lenovo is slightly more powerful with a higher resolution. I just don't know if the Lenovo is worth the extra cash. Another issue is I can't find the Asus anywhere.

what will you be using it for? Is it just an extra tablet for fun or will you be using it primarily? I am so happy with Toshiba Encore for the price i paid, but I would not pay the double for Thinkpad 8, to get 10-30% extra features basically.

ReconPeon

what will you be using it for? Is it just an extra tablet for fun or will you be using it primarily? I am so happy with Toshiba Encore for the price i paid, but I would not pay the double for Thinkpad 8, to get 10-30% extra features basically.

How much better do you think the performance on the think pad 8 would be? Would it even be noticable?

ReconPeon

The screen is probably the only thing that is going to jump out at you if you have them side by side.

That's what I figured so I went out and bought a Venue 8 pro tonight. I am very impressed with it, but Im going to exceed change it tomorrow because of the rubber peeling on the back. It's wierd. Besides that I love it.

Karish

Thinkpad 8 is starting to get Hands On previews. I think i will upgrade from the Venue Pro 8 once the Thinkpad has a solid sale

VanWinkle

Hi guys. I bought a Dell Venue Pro 8. I have had an iPad mini for a while. Honestly, I LOVE THIS THING. It's amazing. It's even smoother than the iPad.

Anyway, I just bought a nice 32GB class 10 microSD card. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to have downloaded apps from the app store AND/OR programs on the Windows desktops download/install to that card instead of internal storage, which, as you probably know, is not REALLY even close to 32GB free.

Thank you.

venne

Hi guys. I bought a Dell Venue Pro 8. I have had an iPad mini for a while. Honestly, I LOVE THIS THING. It's amazing. It's even smoother than the iPad.

Anyway, I just bought a nice 32GB class 10 microSD card. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to have downloaded apps from the app store AND/OR programs on the Windows desktops download/install to that card instead of internal storage, which, as you probably know, is not REALLY even close to 32GB free.

Thank you.

Desktop applications are fine. I have Steam and games installed on mine. Metro apps, however, are a no go.

You might want to look into putting the windows recovery partition on a USB to free up some space on the main disk. You should be able to find the how-to with a search pretty easily.

VanWinkle

Desktop applications are fine. I have Steam and games installed on mine. Metro apps, however, are a no go.

You might want to look into putting the windows recovery partition on a USB to free up some space on the main disk. You should be able to find the how-to with a search pretty easily.

Oh interesting. Thanks! Do you know how much space that recovery partition takes up?

Top Bottom