• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

darksunpr

Have an iPad mini but was thinking of buying a retina mini until I saw this thread. Bought a venue pro today and its fucking awesome.

TaroYamada

I too owned a iPad & a Nexus 7, Win 8 is the better tablet OS unless you really want tablet optimized apps IMO. Personally I'll take the fewer, albeit slowly improving metro app selection + desktop functionality over iOS/Android solutions.

I bought Halo: Spartan Assault, it was 50% off in the store in case anybody else wants it. Not sure when the deal ends, probably after Cyber Monday. $3.49 was a good deal for it.

After seeing this thread Im really intrested in getting one of these for my gf.

She only uses her bulky laptop (with failed battery so runs on mains only lol) to look on the internet and apply for jobs.
Tablets arnt that great for her as far as I can tell as theres no way for her to load up music or photos in any kind of way or to actually be able to look at jobs, open up word documents easily and use word to alter her cvs etc with one.

Im thinking this the V8 with one of those cases that makes a stand and has a keyboard attachment would make a great "mini" computer for her. As opposed to buying a similar price for one of those tiny laptops that also would need mains charging and is less portable.

Its a pain in the ass that only Dell stock it in the Uk though and want £240 for it when in the USA is $220 odd :(

I bought a retina mini, and I'm still enthralled by the idea of the Venue 8 Pro, though I have no need for one at all. If Wizards of the Coast won't nut up and make a Magic Online client for iOS, I'm just going to have to buy an x86 tablet. Because leaning up to use my laptop is just too much effort.

Mann that venue 8 for 250€ puts me in a difficult spot, I was going to buy a nexus 7 for 200€ :/ But seeing all those US deals for under 200$ really hurts.

endre

What? No. German Dell Venue 8 Pro includes a Office 2013 Version.

Well i see it mentioned in the description, but it is also listed as an option at the Wunschkonfiguration auswählen:. So I have no idea.

If this comes with Office and there is a mini usb to hdmi cable I might even consider it. Need to check shipping costs to Austria.

Mendrox

Well i see it mentioned in the description, but it is also listed as an option at the Wunschkonfiguration auswählen:. So I have no idea.

If this comes with Office and there is a mini usb to hdmi cable I might even consider it. Need to check shipping costs to Austria.

Office is included. The options are just there if you want to configure anything (like buying a SD Card eg.)

Orayn

This thread had me very close to pulling the trigger on a Dell Venue 8 Pro since they were $230 at MicroCenter recently, but trying one out in person convinced me to hold off and opt for a bigger unit instead. 8" really isn't big enough for me to use many desktop Windows apps.

I've considered the T100, but reports of its build quality have made me a little skittish. The Venue Pro 11 may be more up my alley. When's that supposed to come out again?

kmfdmpig

This thread had me very close to pulling the trigger on a Dell Venue 8 Pro since they were $230 at MicroCenter recently, but trying one out in person convinced me to hold off and opt for a bigger unit instead. 8" really isn't big enough for me to use many desktop Windows apps.

I've considered the T100, but reports of its build quality have made me a little skittish. The Venue Pro 11 may be more up my alley. When's that supposed to come out again?
I bought the t100 a few days ago. While the build quality is not great is not bad either.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It's not (entirely) your fault, it's fucking dumb how Dell named their tablets.

This is true. Product with such different capabilities should not be named so closely. Many consumers are way confused when trying to discuss and purchase one. The reviews even get jumbled together when somebody tries to do some research.

venne

Picked up the Dell for $200 at TigerDirect. This thing is great.

I wish a couple things were different but can't complain too much for the price.

$300 is a fair price for this thing, but these deals around $200 make it a steal.

Ghostmate

Neo Member
Picked up the Dell for $200 at TigerDirect. This thing is great.

I wish a couple things were different but can't complain too much for the price.

$300 is a fair price for this thing, but these deals around $200 make it a steal.

You got the Venue PRO? I only see the last gen Venue on tigerdirect - unless I missed out on some lightning deal. I've been sitting on Costco's price of 230 for the 32gig. Not sure if I want to pull the trigger...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Given that the thread has some legs, it probably would help if it was renamed to "Windows 8.1 tablets." I'm not sure its obvious that's what the thread subject actually is.

$229 for the Venue Pro at Costco isn't something to ignore. I'm really thinking about it.

Milchjon

Given that the thread has some legs, it probably would help if it was renamed to "Windows 8.1 tablets thread." I'm not sure its obvious that's what the thread subject actually is.

There's a Windows 8 tablet thread in Community...

I'm still torn on this. I wish I could try one in a store.

venne

You got the Venue PRO? I only see the last gen Venue on tigerdirect - unless I missed out on some lightning deal. I've been sitting on Costco's price of 230 for the 32gig. Not sure if I want to pull the trigger...

Amex had $30 off a $199 TigerDirect purchase and the Venue 8 Pro was $230 so I pulled the trigger.

I ordered it Tuesday of last week.

After seeing this thread Im really intrested in getting one of these for my gf.

She only uses her bulky laptop (with failed battery so runs on mains only lol) to look on the internet and apply for jobs.
Tablets arnt that great for her as far as I can tell as theres no way for her to load up music or photos in any kind of way or to actually be able to look at jobs, open up word documents easily and use word to alter her cvs etc with one.

Im thinking this the V8 with one of those cases that makes a stand and has a keyboard attachment would make a great "mini" computer for her. As opposed to buying a similar price for one of those tiny laptops that also would need mains charging and is less portable.

Its a pain in the ass that only Dell stock it in the Uk though and want £240 for it when in the USA is $220 odd :(

It's a bit more expensive, but what about the Asus t100. £339 at Curry's with a £25 Windows Store voucher. Essentially the same specs as the V8, I believe, with a keyboard included, a 10" screen and HDMI out (those last two mightn't be a benefit though I guess). I'm thinking about getting my mum one for christmas.

nilbog21

Banned
The 32gb one is 230$ at my local microcenter, should I get it or wait for a deal on the 64gb? no idea how much space I need, i've never owned a tablet. ..

Damaniel

Banned
I'm kind of interested in the Asus T100 now -- build quality aside, I like the idea of having a keyboard dock included in the price, yet still not costing an arm and a leg. I'd probably use it in tablet form most of the time, but I like having a choice.

Of course, with all the sales on the T100 that have been going on, supplies seem to be kind of thin. Plus, I'd be a little reluctant to pay $380-$400 for the 64GB model when multiple sales have had it for cheaper.

Atom processors sure have come a long way. My last Atom based device (a Dell Mini 9) was a slow piece of garbage no matter what OS I ran on it, though it worked best as a Hackintosh.

nilbog21

Banned
I'm kind of interested in the Asus T100 now -- build quality aside, I like the idea of having a keyboard dock included in the price, yet still not costing an arm and a leg. I'd probably use it in tablet form most of the time, but I like having a choice.

Of course, with all the sales on the T100 that have been going on, supplies seem to be kind of thin. Plus, I'd be a little reluctant to pay $380-$400 for the 64GB model when multiple sales have had it for cheaper.

Atom processors sure have come a long way. My last Atom based device (a Dell Mini 9) was a slow piece of garbage no matter what OS I ran on it, though it worked best as a Hackintosh.

i'd say that 400$ for a tablet costs an arm and a leg though..

It's a bit more expensive, but what about the Asus t100. £339 at Curry's with a £25 Windows Store voucher. Essentially the same specs as the V8, I believe, with a keyboard included, a 10" screen and HDMI out (those last two mightn't be a benefit though I guess). I'm thinking about getting my mum one for christmas.

Thats not a bad shout! will have to look into that tomorrow!

Damaniel

Banned
i'd say that 400$ for a tablet costs an arm and a leg though..

It's all relative. Compared to a Venue 8 Pro, sure - but not compared to something like a Surface Pro 2 or even a current-gen iPad. Plus, I wouldn't actually pay the full $400. They're brand new, but have already been pretty heavily discounted, and will be again as long as I'm willing to wait. (Not to mention the Office 2013 Home and Student license, which I actually need and would use.)

venne

I personally think that the 32GB version is enough, but I suppose it will depend on whether the store gets anything compelling that is considerable in size. I have 7 GB remaining after installing Office, a few other desktop applications, and a decent amount of Metro apps.

I did put a 32 GB card in mine for Steam game storage and any media I decide to throw on this thing.

kmfdmpig

One example of why I love the t100:
my daughter is making a ginger bread home, so I just brought it out to do some work with Chrome, Office and play Christmas music for her. The keyboard is a bit small, but I'm getting used to it. Otherwise it handles Office like a champ. While that's all possible with a laptop it's nice to have to have such a compact and light device that will do it, not to mention one which can separate into a tablet when needed.

venne

It's all relative. Compared to a Venue 8 Pro, sure - but not compared to something like a Surface Pro 2 or even a current-gen iPad. Plus, I wouldn't actually pay the full $400. They're brand new, but have already been pretty heavily discounted, and will be again as long as I'm willing to wait. (Not to mention the Office 2013 Home and Student license, which I actually need and would use.)

Might want to wait and see how the Venue 11 Pro turns out.

1080p screen, faster Atom, pen support (though it might suck from what I've read).

I saw Amazon preordering it for just over $400 a while back.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Might want to wait and see how the Venue 11 Pro turns out.

1080p screen, faster Atom, pen support (though it might suck from what I've read).

I saw Amazon preordering it for just over $400 a while back.

No keyboard included though. I think the matching keyboard is $130, although that price is obviously straight from Dell.

I don't think the keyboard actually exists for the 8 - does anyone have options on that? I'd really like a keyboard for on the go memo writing.

kmfdmpig

No keyboard included though. I think the matching keyboard is $130, although that price is obviously straight from Dell.

I don't think the keyboard actually exists for the 8 - does anyone have options on that? I'd really like a keyboard for on the go memo writing.

Is a portable generic bluetooth keyboard an option? If so that would be cheap and would open up more options for you.

Angry Grimace

Is a portable generic bluetooth keyboard an option? If so that would be cheap and would open up more options for you.

It absolutely would be. I guess I could just pick one up at Costco and try out some generic ones. With all these people who actually have the 8, I was just wondering if anyone had a specific suggestion about a pairing.

kmfdmpig

It absolutely would be. I guess I could just pick one up at Costco and try out some generic ones. With all these people who actually have the 8, I was just wondering if anyone had a specific suggestion about a pairing.

When I was looking at that possibility these three seemed interesting:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009JPBPWO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DKZTMG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0096M8VR2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Logitech one with the stand can be found cheaper here:
http://www.meritline.com/logitech-t...-8-windows-rt-and-android3-0----p-107170.aspx

It looks like a good option and the reviews seem positive.

Damaniel

Banned

As a warning, the K300 keyboard is quite large for a wireless keyboard - significantly larger than the tablet itself. I use one for a HTPC I have, and it works fine for that, but I wouldn't want to lug it around with me. The other two might work, though.

Xamdou

Dell Venue 8 Pro WiFi Tablet support flash right?

Also the Dell Venue 8 Pro WiFi Tablet for

Online Price $279.99
Less-$50.00
Your Price$229.99

Ends today...

kmfdmpig

Awesome... according to the dell website I need anti-virus software for it too? Lol.

It runs real Windows, so it's like a laptop in a tablet form-factor. You can go into the desktop part of Windows 8, run real office, install any browser, use Steam games, etc...

Xamdou

It runs real Windows, so it's like a laptop in a tablet form-factor. You can go into the desktop part of Windows 8, run real office, install any browser, use Steam games, etc...

So I can run my steam games on it!? What's the graphics card on the dell venu pro 8?

Top Bottom