• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

Subitai

Yeah, well, when I posted it 2 hours prior to your quote they were available. Why does it matter if it's online only? $299 is $299.
It means I can't go into a store and haggle a manager for 30 day price match.

Thanks though! Hopefully they'll get more in and put it on sale again for like $350.

TaroYamada

To be honest don't know lol just like the idea of a high res tablet. Although after checking out some reviews and videos of both the devices and considering not a lot will even utilise the highres screen any way. I'm liking the look of the T100A a lot the multitasking and snap features are great.

Snap works phenomenally well, enjoy.

Does anyone use portrait mode with these things?

I am 99% landscape, with the remaining 1% being when I pick up the tablet.

I would also say I'm 85% Metro with the other 15% on things I simply can't do on Metro, namely Sonos controler, Steam, and HD Homerun for live TV (wish this had Media Center).

I love the touch interface to swipe between applications and charms. I haven't used the hardware Windows button once (but maybe that's because Dell decided to hide it).

I saw Microcenter had some open box Venue 8 Pros for $182. Anyone interested might want to check if they have a store nearby.

I use portrait every morning when I read the news in the News app.

@Thread, sometimes when I change from Skype/IE, to say News or Outlook, the color of the background changes to an off-white color. I find the change slightly annoying, anyways to change it? Any ideas?

jbug617

Banned
Just got an email from the Microsoft Store about their 12 Days of Christmas sale.

Day 1 (12/9)Doorbuster is

BawQyXKIgAAiOYl.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Just got an email from the Microsoft Store about their 12 Days of Christmas sale.

Day 1 (12/9)Doorbuster is
They're probably going to have no stock, that has to be a loss leader.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They are going to have 20 per store for the $99 sale

I guess I'm going to be standing outside the MS store like a nerd, unless I get there and there's like 20 people already.

Damaniel

Banned
I'd go stand in line for one if my local Microsoft store wasn't in the middle of downtown, and if the sale wasn't on a work day. They have a 'signature store' in a mall closer to my work, but I don't know if they're doing this deal.

$99 is pretty much impulse buy territory for this type of thing (at least for me). At least it's at the Microsoft store - I'd be afraid for my life if Apple tried something even remotely close to this at their stores. :)

Calmine

Alright, I've almost made my decision. Last thing before I get myself the Asus T100. If anyone owns one, please can you tell me whether the keyboard is any good. I know it's obviously small sized but how is it typing documents etc. Thanks.

kmfdmpig

Alright, I've almost made my decision. Last thing before I get myself the Asus T100. If anyone owns one, please can you tell me whether the keyboard is any good. I know it's obviously small sized but how is it typing documents etc. Thanks.

I used it for Office a bit the other day. If you've typed on a netbook it's fairly similar. Not great, but certainly doable, and I suspect that if you use it often you'll soon get used to it. They keys themselves feel fine, but it's a bit smaller than is ideal for a keyboard.

Calmine

I used it for Office a bit the other day. If you've typed on a netbook it's fairly similar. Not great, but certainly doable, and I suspect that if you use it often you'll soon get used to it. They keys themselves feel fine, but it's a bit smaller than is ideal for a keyboard.

Thanks, I used to have an old 10" netbook and that's what I'm thinking when it comes to typing. You do get used to it. Don't know whether you've tried yourself but I plan on sitting on the couch with on my lap typing away sort of thing, is the keyboard flimsy at all?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I got the case from Dell and it's pretty damn nice. The $40 price may put some people off, but it's really slim, feels great, and works great. If only it was a smart cover (turn off the screen when shut).

nilbog21

Banned
my microsoft store is in a mall that opens at the same time the store does.. is it just a mad dash wen the mall doors open? lmao,.

kmfdmpig

They're really going all out to establish a presence in the tablet market. It's interesting that Microsoft seems to be pushing these and the Transformer. It almost seems like a sign that they realize the Surface line is going to be in the high end niche and that these are going to be wider sellers.

While the screens are lower res it's amazing that you can get a full Windows tablet for less than the good budget Android + any iOS tablets.

rrs

They're really going all out to establish a presence in the tablet market. It's interesting that Microsoft seems to be pushing these and the Transformer. It almost seems like a sign that they realize the Surface line is going to be in the high end niche and that these are going to be wider sellers.

While the screens are lower res it's amazing that you can get a full Windows tablet for less than the good budget Android + any iOS tablets.

Or they realize RT is stillborn and pushing cheap x86 tablets are going to help Microsoft for quite a long time. Also the lower resolution makes the desktop and running not metro programs actually useful and not pixel hunt 2014.

Guys, it's just a deal and in limited quantities. If they're selling a laptop the next day for cheap what are you going to speculate?

Stock clearing. But seriously, Microsoft has all the reasons in the world to push tablets cheaper than their rivals that also run all the programs you have.

Totakeke

Guys, it's just a deal and in limited quantities. If they're selling a laptop the next day for cheap what are you going to speculate?

kmfdmpig

True, but they pushed both the Transformer and the Venue Pro heavily despite making competing products in house. They could have focused their black friday marketing/sales on other products, but seem to be putting a priority on these. I suspect that is indicative of a strategic push rather than random chance. The $99 is limited supply, but the $199 might well be fairly large volume.

Totakeke

True, but they pushed both the Transformer and the Venue Pro heavily despite making competing products in house. They could have focused their black friday marketing/sales on other products, but seem to be putting a priority on these. I suspect that is indicative of a strategic push rather than random chance. The $99 is limited supply, but the $199 might well be fairly large volume.

What makes you think all these are Microsoft's doing and not Dell and Asus own efforts?

Zapages

So let me get this straight, there will 20 Dell Venue Pros at a Microsoft store and the 1st 20 will get it for 100 dollars and the rest will be for 200 dollars for the next 10.

Or you can try online for 100 dollars for the first 100 folks... Right?

If I miss the online deal then I am so going to a Microsoft store for this!

Subitai

That $99 deal! I have no hope of landing it though. =/

Any more impressions of the logitech keyboards you can use with it?

Angry Grimace

I have no clue why MSFT is dicking around with RT at all when the only thing that's going to get them a foothold in the market is x86 stuff. I mean, I know WHY, I just think a better strategy is pushing these x86 formatted ones.

Totakeke

The marketing is from Microsoft and they're being sold at the lowest prices by Microsoft's online and retail stores.

There have been a couple Microsoft ads about the tablets

But Microsoft stores just act like any other store selling Windows devices. Plus even with the introduction of Surface Microsoft has been careful to advertise other OEM devices when they advertise Windows and Surface tends to be put into ads of their own. The only question here is whether Microsoft pushed Dell and Asus to offer these devices at these low prices by maybe offering some sort of subsidy and I don't think they had much to do with it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Okay, with the Dell Venue Pro, does anyone else have a problem with inadvertent zooming in when using one finger to scroll vertically while in IE? It's so bad that IE is becoming nearly unusable for me, as it's just too frustrating to constantly inadvertently zoom. I find myself putting my Venue down and grabbing my iphone when I want to surf.

joshschw

Okay, with the Dell Venue Pro, does anyone else have a problem with inadvertent zooming in when using one finger to scroll vertically while in IE? It's so bad that IE is becoming nearly unusable for me, as it's just too frustrating to constantly inadvertently zoom. I find myself putting my Venue down and grabbing my iphone when I want to surf.

There is a touchscreen driver update on the Dell page for the tablet, maybe you could try that? I read a lot of people saying that the keyboard double taps keys as well. I've had no such problems with mine though. Not that I've applied the update, maybe it came preinstalled though.

DarkFlow

Banned
So other then the t100, is there any of these with a HDMI port? My GF is maybe looking to get one, but wants to play movies on TV at her work with it.

Angry Grimace

So other then the t100, is there any of these with a HDMI port? My GF is maybe looking to get one, but wants to play movies on TV at her work with it.

Toshiba's Encore 8.1 model does, I believe.

DarkFlow

Banned
Toshiba's Encore 8.1 model does, I believe.

Thanks, just looked and it does. Not really sure if we are going to go this route, or get her a 2 in 1. I would rather spend more and get the 2 in 1 for her since her current laptop is on it's last legs, a poor dell XPS m1330 but this is good to look at.

Mirk

Damn I think I might go to the MoA and camp this then for $100. Kinda pissed I payed 300 for it now lol.

Top Bottom