• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

see5harp

I just finished that temple. AFAIK I got the key by falling through one of those cracked tiles. I think it's on the bottom level if that helps at all. Haven't read through this thread at all, but I'm pretty pissed that 3 times now my game has completely frozen (with the music still playing) after exiting/entering a door. The last time it happened I lost the entire Wind Temple.

windfish

see5harp said:
I just finished that temple. AFAIK I got the key by falling through one of those cracked tiles. I think it's on the bottom level if that helps at all. Haven't read through this thread at all, but I'm pretty pissed that 3 times now my game has completely frozen (with the music still playing) after exiting/entering a door. The last time it happened I lost the entire Wind Temple.

i guess you have installed the game? i had the same issues near the end and god, i was mad too, lost like 3 hours of progress once. i searched the web to see if other people suffer from this and it seems like a common problem. Try deleting your game data and play without the install data. This method worked for me and iam too scared to install again now :/

Clipper

It happened to me several times, but only when entering and exiting the boss doors and typically when I was entering multiple times while trying to get the don't-get-hit trophies. I just learned to always save before or after those boss rooms and all was good. It is an annoying bug, though.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This games really cute looking! Its cuteness hides its difficulty though seeing how I've prolly died a dozen times now ^_^; And ta think I'm only past the second temple! I'm far from the point of being discouraged though. Like how baddies are kinda randomized except when those big dragon dudes appear and kill me. Gotta grind for moneys cause I'm sure the next dungeon will be harder an my sword isn't upgraded all that much. Oh and I read the hardest difficulty makes you die in 1 hit. Why would anybody do that to themselves??

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Oh my gosh, bosses in this game totally need to take less hits to die. Fighting the flame temple boss dragon dude for roughly an hour completely killed my goal of finishing the last two temples today -_- Still with any luck I'll have this beaten by months end. But geez if the last bosses are like this then forget about it!

Requeim

Recently got this game for cheap, and it is very charming, despite its flaws.

The game is just way too long and hard i think, the bosses take way to many hits to die and the controls feel a bit floaty. I got up to the part in the last dungeon where you meet the bee boss again before i finally gave up, but that's okay.

The soundtrack is amazing though, i mean holy shit is this the most uplifting tune ever or what 3D Dot Game Heroes Soundtrack - "Advancing through the Coastline"

alterno69

Banned
Got this game a couple of days ago, so good.my 4 year old loves to see me play, he actually requests to play the cubes game lol. Great game, just beat the second fortress.

ssowinski

Started this game this week too. Love it so far - just past the second orb and doing some exploring and stuff.

What else is there to say except that it's a 3D Zelda/Link to the Past.

Ichabod

Banned
Alright, its this thread! I've been wanting to share some pics of the Ness (Earthbound/Mother2) I made with the character creator but didn't want to necro bump. I'll post them later.

rivals

I'm glad to see that this thread is (kind of) still going. I picked this game up on launch but still haven't gotten to it since I have a ridiculous backlog and this one kept getting pushed to the bottom. I'm hoping to get to it within the next few weeks, though.

Riposte

I just got into this. It is quite charming. The fact it has the "President" from Metal Wolf Chaos is hilarious. Two questions

1) How long is it?

2) Is there an easier way to make a character, other than from scratch?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I give up on Spelunker mode...

Fire cave + one shot kills = bad design

Jucksalbe

Banned
By the time you get to play Spelunker mode you should be good enough to easily get through that dungeon (or you use the wall dash trick).
I thought From mode was a lot harder than Spelunker mode.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jucksalbe said:
By the time you get to play Spelunker mode you should be good enough to easily get through that dungeon (or you use the wall dash trick).
I thought From mode was a lot harder than Spelunker mode.
It was a long time since I played the game, but isn't Spelunker the one with one shot kills? I only needed that to get my platinum... what's From mode now again? And what's the wall dash trick? I might return to it later maybe.

another game I really want to play... really dig the design... was very tempted during amazon.com sale event during the holiday... ultimately decided not too... my backlog is epic.

Yoshichan

FlyingTeacup said:
another game I really want to play... really dig the design... was very tempted during amazon.com sale event during the holiday... ultimately decided not too... my backlog is epic.
It's a fun little game, you should really buy it.

Clipper

Jakeh111 said:
That end boss made me rage quit, ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
There's actually a really easy way to beat him (similar to the trick for Dark Link in Zeld II:AoL).

Just get a sword which is really long and stand at the back of the arena. You can hit him, but almost all his attacks have too short range to hit you. The only one that can hit you is both weak and easy to avoid, so it's straight forward. This is assuming you are talking about the final bosses second form. His first form should be easy with a little practice, and don't forget to keep casting Lighting

Welp, this thread got me to check amazon again, and at 18 bucks with free shipping I just can't resist anymore. I beat Demon's Souls three times without any great frustration, is the difficulty in this game going to piss me off?

Yoshichan said:
It's a fun little game, you should really buy it.

DigitalDevil said:
Welp, this thread got me to check amazon again, and at 18 bucks with free shipping I just can't resist anymore. I beat Demon's Souls three times without any great frustration, is the difficulty in this game going to piss me off?

i have demon soul somewhere still in wraps, bought it full price when it came out fearing it might become some hard to find cult hit. it's 18? very very tempting. when I'm done doing what i'm doing, maybe I'll get more time for gaming... hell i haven't finished fftactics after 3 years plus...

V-Gief

DigitalDevil said:
If you can handle Demon's Souls, you can handle this. Enjoy a really great and fun game.

Yoshichan

DigitalDevil said:
It's far from difficult if you've played Zelda and other 2D adventure games.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Jakeh111 said:
That end boss made me rage quit, ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

End boss wasn't so bad, it was that final dungeon that took forever. That made me want to rage quit... but I didn't and I'm glad that I finished the game!

Gvaz

Banned
brilordplainsc72x.jpg

Pretty neat I think. I wish more games had a screenshot function.

That being said, I wish they didn't save in a low quality jpg >:[

Yoshichan

Arghhhhhh! You just reminded me about the depth of field in the game :lol

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Acquiesc3

Banned
I remember Aram Jabbari saying that the huge swords (mostly all of them at max health when upgraded) wouldn't break the game.

He lied.

Edgeward

Played and beat the game this weekend. This is exactly what I've been wanting in a zelda game that the recent Zeldas weren't able to satisfy, just old-school top down with little plot and high on dungeons and exploring. I wish the game wasn't so stingy with money in the beginning and not have so many time sensitive quests, but I guess it's more than enough reason to back to it later and try FROM difficulty.

I am unclear as to why I read in reviews of people complaining of the fire temple, I was able to get through it no problem and none of it was terribly hard to figure out either.

And fuck the dash races, I wanted to rage so bad trying to get the absolute best times in just the first two courses. I never did get them btw. ;_;

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Really cool game and I had no major problem with it, aside from the "gag" of the giant omnidirectional sword being well, too much of a gag.

The way the sword works is just a bit too awkward. Keeps gameplay from feeling smooth and fluid.

If it played as fluidly with as satisfying control feedback as A Link to the Past, it'd be one of the finest games this generation IMHO.

Even so it's a pretty good one.

Bought this from Amazon for cheap. Only beat the first dungeon but I'll go back. I need to be in the mood for these types of games. It feels a lot like old Zelda, but it was surprisingly more challenging than I expected.

Clipper

Very interested in importing at that price for two reasons

1) UK current selling price is higher
2) I believe the EU version still isn't patched?
The guys who handled distribution in PAL territories announced on their blog that they weren't going to patch the game, so yeah, that makes the EU version a lot harder to Platinum.

EYEL1NER

Ozzykamikaze said:
Bought this from Amazon for cheap. Only beat the first dungeon but I'll go back. I need to be in the mood for these types of games. It feels a lot like old Zelda, but it was surprisingly more challenging than I expected.
I got it on Black Friday for real cheap and have only played it for maybe 5 minutes.
I need to get to it though, because it looked awesome.
Just have a huge backlog...

Shaneus

Clipper said:
The guys who handled distribution in PAL territories announced on their blog that they weren't going to patch the game, so yeah, that makes the EU version a lot harder to Platinum.
What was the deal with the patch? Is it something I missed in the game proper?

Edgeward

Kaijima said:
The way the sword works is just a bit too awkward. Keeps gameplay from feeling smooth and fluid.

I'd have to agree, especially when you are real close to a pit and trying to swing your sword will also result sometimes in moving just enough to fall into it and losing the giant sword.

I also hate how you can get fucked when you first enter a room depending on enemy placement, either a knight is in your face or you enter and the guillotine spikes are coming from the sides while and enemy is fast approaching you.

And you can't attack when near a transition point either, that's frustrating. Only because I love how overpowered you are when at full health, makes traversing and revisiting dungeons so much easier and faster. By far my favorite thing about that game.

Shaneus said:
What was the deal with the patch? Is it something I missed in the game proper?

Extends the dash races times to complete by 5 seconds and allows you to carry over swords to new game +. This is not possible pre-patch.

lunchtoast

I'd like to strangle the person who came up with the dash circuits. If you're making a homage to classic Zelda, don't put in dumb hard shit that has nothing to do with the rest of the game. Other than that it's a great game.

Audioboxer

Finally picked this up from PlanetAxel. Seems to be running out of print in the UK, and I wanted the NTSC copy for the patch. Paid £15 notes, now I'll just have to see what their postage time is like.

Finally picked this up from PlanetAxel. Seems to be running out of print in the UK, and I wanted the NTSC copy for the patch. Paid £15 notes, now I'll just have to see what their postage time is like.
Got this today along with SR2 and GTA complete with Best Buy buy 2 get 1 free offer. Dunno which one I should start first playing. Better yet I think I should finish R&C future first.

I enjoyed it from the start, creating a character and the look, but I'm on the Aqua temple and it just hit me how much I love this game.

There's such great humour and charm. Any flaws it has, and it does have them, are basically the same flaws you would throw at the games it is an homage to. The music is awesome, when you first get into it and hear that almost-Dragon Quest menu music, you know you're in for a good time :)

This game is the fucking end. After about 20 attempts I finally killed the Flame Temple boss dragon and the game crashes - I leave the room after collecting the orb, music continues but indefinate black screen. Wow, final straw time. I loved so much about this game, but the bugs have been too much to continue, a real shame as it's turned a really great experience into a frustrating and shitty one.

plc268

Damn, I'm getting the itch to play this again just because I'm reading how so many people have problems with certain bosses.

I never had any difficulty with any of the bosses... some maybe took 2-3 attempts, but that's about it. I'm not even really that good at this game, but I found it overall easy. Looks like I'll pick it up from amazon at $13.

SykoTech

The dragon boss is the only one that I found difficult, though that's mainly because it seemed to drag on forever. The last few temples were kind of hard too. Nothing very fustrating, but there was quite a bit of running around in circles in that Wind one.

Audioboxer

Finally got my US import in from Axelmusic!

Any good sites to download pre-made characters? I'm a bit lazy.

From Software <3

IMG_20110808_120101.jpg

Top Bottom