• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
animlboogy said:
Woooooah. Do you do that often with games? I like this game, but I could NOT see it being worth that kind of investment.
Very often. Nothing special, heck I'm still playing right now :lol (most likely going for 30 hours)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yoshichan said:
Just beat this in one sitting, 21 hours :lol Fuck I love From Software, such a good company.

Well, off to the next difficulty! It's most likely going to kick my ass.
See you in the YLOD thread.

Jarlaxle

Adam Prime said:
Hahaha I did the same exact thing in that dunegon. I had to go to a strategy guide for the first time when I hit that point in the game.

After that long in the room and trying all other kinds of ways to get through to the other room I did the same. I wound up searching through Youtube for videos.
Once I finally found the video, I was so pissed when they just walked right past the red blocks to the room, I didn't go back to the game for 2 days.

abstract alien said:
This
simple ass dragon
is beating the shit out of me in in dungeon 5 :^(
Figure out the pattern and make sure you have a giant sword with spin. I don't want to spoil you, anyways there is videos on youtube.

Crakatak187 said:
Figure out the pattern and make sure you have a giant sword with spin. I don't want to spoil you, anyways there is videos on youtube.
I finally got him, but he just had a shit load of health. It was only one of this attacks that would actually hit me, but I'll be damned if he didn't spam the hell out of me once I had things going :lol

Source: Siliconera

If a leak (that has now been taken down) by a poster on the Atlus forums is to be believed, a 3D Dot Game Heroes 1.01 patch is headed our way, courtesy of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.

What does patch 1.01 add? Here’s a short feature list:

* Sackboy from LittleBigPlanet will be added to the game.

* New character models created by and for fans will be added.

* Completion times for the Dash Race have been adjusted to make it less difficult.

* Certain swords will now carry over in New Game+.

* Loading art images will now appear randomly, and upon being viewed, be available in the Loading Art gallery.

3d_dot_patch01.jpg

Ricker

Patch is up...just started this this week,pretty good so far...when it asks you to change character everytime you restart the game,it just a choice right? you don`t start the game over with the new one?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
shattyboombatty said:
any info on which swords transfer to ng+?

It sucks that it isn't all of them =(
None. Only upgrades.

Clipper

Yoshichan said:
None. Only upgrades.
No, apparently due to this recent update, some now do. Here's the posts from the other thread:

shattyboombatty said:
sorry for the bump, but this sounded like an interesting update:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/23/3d-dot-game-heroes-update-adds-sackboy-other-new-features/

Apparently one of the additions is you can bring your weapons to a ng+!

Someone update, and tell me I can do this with my pre-update save from just before the end of the game!!!!!!!
And my response:

Man, that will make From and Spelunker difficulties a hell of a lot easier, having the Giga Sword right from the get go. It always did seem stupid that your small blocks would carry over but not the swords you bought with the blocks, too.

Ricker said:
Patch is up...just started this this week,pretty good so far...when it asks you to change character everytime you restart the game,it just a choice right? you don`t start the game over with the new one?
Yes, you keep all your progress but you use the new character from wherever you were. Your bonuses also change based on the class and sex of your new character.

Clipper

Big enough for a new post, here's the press release:

From said:
IRVINE, CALIFORNIA -- SEPTEMBER 23, 2010 -- Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today launched a special update for the retro action-adventure 3D Dot Game Heroes for PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system, including the addition of fifty fan and staff created heroes, the ability to carry over certain swords in New Game+, and adjustments to the completion times for the Dash Circuit mini game. In addition, a bug fix restores previously absent loading art images so they will randomly appear and be viewable in the Loading Art Gallery. Atlus also unveiled big news that fans can now save the kingdom of Dotnia as the lovable "Sackboy" from Media Molecule's LittleBigPlanet for PlayStation 3 system, courtesy of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.

"We can think of no more fitting a character to feature than one that has become synonymous with creativity and imagination in gaming: Sackboy," said Aram Jabbari, Manager of Public Relations and Sales at Atlus. "Now, people who start up their copy of 3D Dot Game Heroes can begin their adventures through the grand Kingdom of Dotnia with one of gaming's most recognizable icons!"

The fifty fan created heroes were selected by Atlus from the "Hall of Heroes" character-sharing hub, a special section on the game's official website that allows players worldwide to share custom heroes created in the game's powerful character editor. Custom heroes in 3D Dot Game Heroes don't just look good, they move well, too. Each hero has six different poses to fuel animation, making it incredibly easy for players to dream up any creation and bring it to life!

3D Dot Game Heroes for PlayStation 3 system is available in stores. For more information, check out the official 3D Dot Game Heroes website, http://www.3ddotgameheroes.com.

Man, it's more than I thought. I always wondered why I could only see half of the loading screens in my collection. Now I'm going to play again just to complete it all.

And they changed the times for Dash Circuit! Man, that was by far the toughest thing in the game. I spent a few hours getting good enough to beat those horrible times they originally had, often missing them by fractions of a second (I got 20.03 for one try when I needed 20). Can anybody find out what the new Dash Circuit times are? I won't be back home for a few hours to find out for myself.

Clipper

GameFAQs seems to be reporting that the swords that transfer over to a new save are only the ones you bought from King Block. This makes a hell of a lot of sense. Pity that the Moon, Wing and Giga Swords aren't carried over, but King Block did have some really good swords that would still make replays a tad easier.

And the DC times for the Wing Sword seem to be 25 seconds and 65 seconds, so an extra 5 seconds for each of them, which is a cake walk for the first and an average challenge for the second.

Clipper said:
GameFAQs seems to be reporting that the swords that transfer over to a new save are only the ones you bought from King Block. This makes a hell of a lot of sense. Pity that the Moon, Wing and Giga Swords aren't carried over, but King Block did have some really good swords that would still make replays a tad easier.

And the DC times for the Wing Sword seem to be 25 seconds and 65 seconds, so an extra 5 seconds for each of them, which is a cake walk for the first and an average challenge for the second.
Looks like I'm going to have to replay the game eventually for the 4th time :D

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Perfect time for this patch. I cleared the game on normal a couple days ago but haven't messed with my small blocks or started a New Game+.

Clipper

bone_and_sinew said:
Perfect time for this patch. I cleared the game on normal a couple days ago but haven't messed with my small blocks or started a New Game+.
Enjoy the new play through. From difficulty is actually quite challenging, and I went for the crazy idea of making that my no-continue run when I played just over a month ago.

Clipper

Sorry for the double post again, but I thought I'd share some findings I have now that I've had time to test the patch.

The swords that carry over are the 7 King Block swords. The swords seem to carry over if you have bought them in any previous save that led to the one you create the New Game + from. To prove this, I had three previous playthroughs. The first was a Normal difficulty where I messed up the From Cave quest, so I didn't buy anything from King Block. The second was a From difficulty run where I got all the swords except the Wing Sword (I later went back to this save to finish those Dash Circuits and get the sword). The third was Spelunker difficulty where I didn't bother with most sidequests and had none of the extra swords except the Giga Sword. Now, when starting a New Game + from my first Clear save, I get no swords carried over. Starting the NG+ from the Spelunker save gives me all 7 of King Block's swords, though, even though Spelunker didn't have them. Thus, it must somehow have it recorded that I did at some stage have the swords.

As for the new times for Dash Circuit, they are indeed 25 seconds and 65 seconds. You have to get under those times again even if you have a stored record which is already under the threshold . You probably have to beat your old record too in that case. The existing scores on the scoreboards have also been changed to represent the new thresholds.

I've also seen some of the new loading art screens and am getting more than the 69 I had for ages. I think I'll go for a new complete Normal run with all the swords and hopefully get the other 36 on the way.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yay, guess I'll be replaying 3DDGH again since there's the new weapon carry-over. :D

onken

Clipper said:
Sorry for the double post again, but I thought I'd share some findings I have now that I've had time to test the patch.

Nice, pity the Japanese version never got this patch. All I have to do for the platinum is get another 18 tiny blocks, been that way for the last 6 months and will probably stay that way at this rate :lol

Yoshichan

GothPunk

BeeDog said:
Hmm, the patch doesn't seem to be up for the European version yet... any news about this (e.g. release date)?
I asked SouthPeak Games on Twitter about it, I'll post here if I get a reply.

scurker

Oh good. With the patch update I'll actually play this again and beat some of the other modes. I never understood why any of the King Block swords didn't carry over, but the blocks did.

BooJoh

I need to get back to this game sometime. I had it lock up on me after clearing the second dungeon, and didn't feel like replaying the dungeon at the time.

sammy

Oh I miss this game so much, haven't been able to play it for a month (out traveling) --- I still have sooo much more to go it looks like

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh god, patch 1.01 is glorious.

Maybe now I'll actually finish the game instead of ragequitting at it back in May. :lol

Now to remember where my 5+ month old save is on the road to 100% so I don't have to the fucking mini-games twice for the "all swords" requirement.

TheSeks

Wario64 said:
I already got the Platinum, but I'm curious what are the new dash times now with the patch?

They've been increased by +5 Seconds.

So First one is 20->25 for the sword requirement (doable now, esp. if you abuse the "select/quickturn" trick)
Second is 60->65 (I think? Haven't gotten that far)

Suffice it to say, they're still HARD, but they're at least not "ha ha, when hell freezes over!" now for the sword requirement.

Also: Metal Gear reference, in my Zelda clone? It's more likely than you think! (Desert Temple, the stone tablet before you get "into" the actual dungeon)

Edit: Anyone have tips for the Blockout "all clear" and Block Defense mini-games? I know you can "select trick" the Blockout to get power-ups while the ball is frozen in the select menu (making it slightly easier) but it seems I can't all-clear it without losing a ball or two. ARGH. And Defense while cool, is something I've always been terrible at: Tower Defense games. :lol

TheSeks said:
They've been increased by +5 Seconds.

So First one is 20->25 for the sword requirement (doable now, esp. if you abuse the "select/quickturn" trick)
Second is 60->65 (I think? Haven't gotten that far)

Suffice it to say, they're still HARD, but they're at least not "ha ha, when hell freezes over!" now for the sword requirement.

Also: Metal Gear reference, in my Zelda clone? It's more likely than you think! (Desert Temple, the stone tablet before you get "into" the actual dungeon)

Edit: Anyone have tips for the Blockout "all clear" and Block Defense mini-games? I know you can "select trick" the Blockout to get power-ups while the ball is frozen in the select menu (making it slightly easier) but it seems I can't all-clear it without losing a ball or two. ARGH. And Defense while cool, is something I've always been terrible at: Tower Defense games. :lol
Blockout is just practice and luck. I hated it. Use the Wing Sword cause it makes you move faster and use your sword swing rarely cause it's too unpredictable. Try to go for the power-ups as soon as possible.

For Block Defense: Gamefaqs has a very good FAQ that has a roadmap vor every level, telling you what to do exactly every turn. I suck at TD so I had to use it to get my platinum.

Is there news about the EU patch yet? I mailed SouthPeak but haven't heard back from them yet.

TheSeks

YianGaruga said:
Blockout is just practice and luck. I hated it. Use the Wing Sword cause it makes you move faster and use your sword swing rarely cause it's too unpredictable. Try to go for the power-ups as soon as possible.

For Block Defense: Gamefaqs has a very good FAQ that has a roadmap vor every level, telling you what to do exactly every turn. I suck at TD so I had to use it to get my platinum.

Okay, I guess I should wait until after I'm nearly done with the game (only have the final boss left) to complete these mini-games, then?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Oh man what a nice surprise, I booted this game up today and, a patch! Cool. I wish more games did this. Maybe I'll be more inspired now as Sackboy to complete this game.

OnPoint

Adam Prime said:
Oh man what a nice surprise, I booted this game up today and, a patch! Cool. I wish more games did this. Maybe I'll be more inspired now as Sackboy to complete this game.

Received patches? Buy LittleBigPlanet and you'll never want to see a patch again

TheSeks

OnPoint said:
Received patches? Buy LittleBigPlanet and you'll never want to see a patch again

BAWWWW having to patch for content updates to a creation game. BAWWWWW.

Go cry in the LittleBigPlanet thread. This is off topic.

Got past the Desert Temple. Got the Steel Hookshot. Now to explore the world and get the signs while booking and attempting not dying (trying to do a no-death run on normal for my first playthrough!) while doing the sign quest for more health/magic ups.

OnPoint

TheSeks said:
BAWWWW having to patch for content updates to a creation game. BAWWWWW.

Go cry in the LittleBigPlanet thread. This is off topic.

Got past the Desert Temple. Got the Steel Hookshot. Now to explore the world and get the signs while booking and attempting not dying (trying to do a no-death run on normal for my first playthrough!) while doing the sign quest for more health/magic ups.

Oh sorry man. I didn't realize that making a joke that was related to patches, a response to a comment in this thread, was an excuse for you to backseat mod. Do you have a link to the rules so I can read them while hanging my head in shame and retiring from the internet?

jax (old)

Banned
Thanks to the zelda clone thread, I finally put in my 3DdotgameHeroes. Wow. Its such a LTTP clone. beat the 2nd boss and got the green orb - gotta say the bee boss gave me a lot more trouble than I thought I would have. The world seems so big. Running through the desert and got overwhelmed so I saved and quit.

Reading up a couple of posts from my post - Patch? I put the disc in and the thing didn't prompt me to patch. Its the first time ever I've put the game in. I just unwrapped it.

Top Bottom