• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

Ashkeloth

Oh joy.

Southpeak games are really making it hard for me to like them considering the only two games I have bought from them are Two Worlds (Ironically, so I could see how bad it was of course), and this (Which is a good game, but maddeningly frustrating when you know that a large part of the world has an extra 5 seconds on some of the most annoying minigames of all time).

Maybe I'll just start importing all my niche games from America, because it really seems like all of these smaller publishing companies outside of Atlus are pretty terrible. It really can't be that hard to take the U.S patch and make a couple of changes to it for the EU version of the game.

I did hear something about them losing publishing rights for this game in europe though, so maybe that's something to do with it. Then again, it is still up on their site, so maybe that was BS.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I marathon'd this game for about 3 hours today and finished it. Beat the Wind Temple and the final Dark Temple all in that span. I earned my 1000th trophy finishing the game! :D

... as soon as I finished playing it though, I immediately ejected the game and I never want to boot it up again. Playing this game in binge sessions made me not enjoy it so much. This game really is like the original Zelda. I'm having a good time playing it most of the way, then I hit the final dungeon and I just want it to be OVER. And as soon as I'm done playing, I'm ready to sell the game.

jax (old)

Banned
Just beat boss 4, the octopus and I gotta say. what a total LOZ knockoff. Boots, arrows, slingshot, boomerang..etc. But with a twist in the weapon upgrade system.

A W E S O M E.

Giant sword and have the final shield. It will block everything he can throw at you if shielded correctly. Giant sword to keep your distance while attacking.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
oatmeal said:
Any hints on the final battle?

Fucker pisses me off.

1st form: Hit one guy that has a shadow. Just bring a lengthy sword and swipe often.

2nd form: Easy as hell, just have a power-ed up sword (bring a potion) and stand in the back of the room holding up your Hero shield and swipe until dead.

Wickwire

I bought this game last week and I haven't stopped playing. So much fun. Here's a pic of my first character creation. I wanted to play as a Final Fantasy black mage but couldn't find one so I made it myself. Im happy with how it came out.

16ba73m.jpg

Just bought this game. For $10.19

Items Ordered Price
1 of: Gran Turismo 5 (Prima Essential Track Guide): Prima Essential Game Guide [Paperback]
By: Akitomo Sugawara
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
$10.19

- 1 item(s) Gift options: None

1 of: 3D Dot Game Heroes [Video Game]
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
$19.99

- 1 item(s) Gift options: None

Item(s) Subtotal: $30.18 Shipping & Handling: $5.48
Super Saver Discount: -$5.48
Promotion Applied: -$19.99 -----
Total Before Tax: $10.19
Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $0.00
-----
Grand Total: $10.19

I've finally been putting some time into this game, and it's pretty damn fun. It's a rare instance in which a game is exactly what I expected it to be, and that's perfectly fine with me. I just finished the Desert Temple (#3), although I haven't really been exploring the overworld too much. Block Defense is one of the best minigames in recent memory, and I've played both up to this point with a perfect clear; a truly wonderful diversion.

So, I'm just under 5 hours. I take it there are no real surprises after obtaining all the orbs, making this a fairly straightforward game (and accurate homage). Any estimates to how much time I have left to complete the main game?

onken

Crakatak187 said:
Dash Circuit and no weapon carry over.

I might replay the game for the 4th time later thanks to the patch.

In the Japanese version there was a bug/secret? where if you charged right into the sign post at the beginning of the dash race you instantly finished. People with the EU version might want to try that.

BeeDog

Sorry for bumping the topic, but was the patch ever released for the EU version? I can't for the life of me find my 3D Dot disc and test myself.

No45

Ruud_Luiten said:
Good question, can someone answer for us please?
Doesn't seem like it

Hi Idiosis,
Unfortunately there are currently no plans to release the patch at this time. I apologize for any inconvenience that this might cost to you and everyone in the EU.

Thank you for your support,
SPG_ V
Is it not possible to Platinum this game without that patch?

Jucksalbe

Banned
No45 said:

Of course it's possible. I did it without the patch. But the 5 seconds difference on the Dash Circuits is actually a difference of 3 hours of play time. :D

No45

Ah OK, thanks. Seemed like it was something serious, but I don't mind if it just means it's harder.
That exploit still works, right?
:p

I might well make this my next pickup.

Clipper

No45 said:
The patch makes it much MUCH easier to platinum the game.

I got my platinum less than a month before the patch, and I spent several hours getting good enough on the two racing minigames, which are the only truly hard things you need to do for any of the trophies. It's probably the most work I've ever put into a single trophy. You have to do the first race almost perfectly (and it is very easy to mess up) and the second race is a nice challenge, but not hard if you get good enough to do the first. Consequently, the patched times make both races still challenging, but most people should be able to get them with a little practice.

I could have easily saved several hours of playtime if I had waited until the patch released. Given that said playtime is spent attempting a 20 second and a 60 second race over and over again, I can understand why people with the Euro version really want this patch.

Having said that, actually beating the original times is still my proudest trophy feat.

Oh, and the patch also allows you to carry over your King Block swords which just makes much more sense than penalising you for buying them on your initial playthrough.

Edit: Dang, beaten. Still, if you are getting the EU version and want to go for trophies, check the trophy guides first and do not buy any swords from King Block until you have enough Small White Blocks to buy all the swords. The blocks carry over into your new game for EU, but not the swords. You need them all in one playthrough for the All Swords trophy, and make sure you don't mess up the From Quest in that playthrough as you'll need it for one of the swords too.

squall211

Is the main quest over fairly quickly? I started playing this game on Sat., put in about 6ish hours and I've finished the first four dungeons.

Clipper

squall211 said:
Is the main quest over fairly quickly? I started playing this game on Sat., put in about 6ish hours and I've finished the first four dungeons.
The latter dungeons are a lot longer. Still, the game is fairly short overall if all you want to do is finish it once. There's lots to do after the first playthrough, though. Both From and Spelunker difficulties make the game play quite differently, including the dialogue.

Owensboro

Oh hey! A patch is out? Awesome!

Perhaps it's time to give this game another playthrough. After beating the game the first time I ragequit after trying to beat the first racing circuit for over 3 hours. This will be a fun one to play on the second TV on Sunday while watching NFL Redzone all day.

Fired this up for the first time over the weekend, I love it! Finished the 2nd dungeon but am worried this game is short, I'm not the kind of player to go through things more than once so I probably won't go through the extra modes. Probably for the best though since my free time for gaming is diminishing

3 hours to beat Blockout with a perfect clear, my God.

And such stupidity. For the first 2 and half hours, I had the Wing Sword equipped and dashed around with my shield.

After rage-quitting, I came back, equipped the damn Rare Fish, and won within 15-30 minutes. Dammit. That took longer than both races combined. Dammit.

Finished!

I must say, my initial enthusiasm (which was quite high) waned considerably towards the end. Really, how many times do I need to face Magi and cast Reflect? It seemed like every third of fourth room had this gimmick.

Also, and it's completely my fault, but I burned out hard on the minigames and farming for gold and small blocks. I'm pretty sure I spent around one third to a half of the game on them, beating race times or going for perfect clears. I still have about 20 or so small blocks left to farm until I have all the swords, and I think I'm going to space that one out a bit.

Overall though, I had quite a bit of fun. If you don't take the OCD/completionist route, then I foresee your enjoyment increasing exponentially, whereas the contrary is rife with frustration. Considering all I really have left to do is finish the other difficulties, I can see the playtime being much shorter and more action-packed without the sidequests.

I loved Demon's Souls, so I picked this up on a whim for like $24. I'm on the fourth or fifth dungeon now, and I absolutely love it. I didn't think I would, because I haven't played the original Zelda in a long time, but boy is that formula ever addicting. The sense of progression is not too hard or not too easy (I know it gets worse later on but hello, Demon's Souls, I can handle this bitch) and hasn't felt this good since maybe the first time I played Symphony of the Night.

Love Demon's Souls. Love the From Cave. Love 3D Dot Game Heroes. And, I can now say I love From Software. This is a new feeling for me after never ever liking any Armored Core game ever. :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I'm trying to finish the game (loving it) and I'm struggling a bit with the Wind Temple. I've uncovered 90% of the map, enabled the warp gate to the boss area, but I cannot find the actual boss key. There is one door locked with a regular key that I cannot open and I've covered and recovered the whole dungeon several times. Starting to get tired of it and just want to find the key to proceed. Any ideas?

The locked door in question involves a series of rooms with stairs on the far right side of the map.

Top Bottom