• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4/8 TB SSD for PS5 Pro

CLW

With the PS5 Pro coming In going to need another SSD additional drive for my Pro.

Having the 2 consoles will allow me and my son to play different games at the same time. My current 1 and 2 TB drives in my PS5 of nothing but PS5 games is nearly full so I’m thinking I’m going to want a 4 or 8 tb drive.

I can’t remember if it’s just ANY Gen 4 drive or if I need to check the read/write speeds before buying? Also any recommendations on a 8/4 tb sad?

digdug2

I bought a 4TB Verbatim Vi7000G NVMe M.2 Internal SSD. It works beautifully. You can get it for $226 on Amazon with included heatsink.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Sorry to hijack the thread but do old cover plates work with the pro? I have a custom made PS5 so it would suck to just sell the console and not be able to carry over my nice covers.

Yeah I noticed Gem 4 ssds price doesn’t scale by size 4Tb might be the sweet spot as far as price/value

Agreed! I am planning on the 4TB for my Pro model when I get it, I currently have a 2TB in my current PS5 and it is nearly full of stuff I am currently playing

Dorfdad

Gold Member
8tb is overkill remember your getting more base storage so go for a 4 and you will have over 5tb which is a lot of games. Your son could probably use the 2tb and be fine

Reactions: CLW

CLW

Sorry to hijack the thread but do old cover plates work with the pro? I have a custom made PS5 so it would suck to just sell the console and not be able to carry over my nice covers.

Just saw on Let's Talk Playstation - a image leaked on a Japanese website that indicated NO they do not fit.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Just saw on Let's Talk Playstation - an image leaked on a Japanese website that indicated NO they do not fit.
Yes the ps5 pro slim cases fit. This was posted on here a few times. Forgot the site that got it from Sony that the slims panels will work on the pro. Wish I had the link but it’s pretty legit site as well.

CLW

Yes the ps5 pro slim cases fit. This was posted on here a few times. Forgot the site that got it from Sony that the slims panels will work on the pro. Wish I had the link but it’s pretty legit site as well.

I'm not saying you are wrong. There appears to be conflicting info. Here is where I got the slim covers do NOT fit:

13:00

Rob_27

In Feb I got a Crucial P3 Plus SSD 4TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD, Up to 4800MB/s for £189 now it's £229!

Haven't noticed any problems. This will go in the Pro if i can just plonk it straight in. But I think you need both powered on to make it work ?

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How can anyone possibly need that much storage? I get that the default 825GB might not be enough for some (it is for me though), but 8TB (10 counting the built in SSD)?! How many games is that, and why do you need all of them installed at once?

How can anyone possibly need that much storage? I get that the default 825GB might not be enough for some (it is for me though), but 8TB (10 counting the built in SSD)?! How many games is that, and why do you need all of them installed at once?
LoL, for next gen. Expect GTA 7 and other games to be 800 GB or some shit.

BlackTron

Some like their game collection ready to go when they feel like playing it (like when we had carts/discs that didn't need to be installed first). If PS is your main gaming platform, I could see the thirst for it.

Reactions: CLW

truth411

With the PS5 Pro coming In going to need another SSD additional drive for my Pro.

Having the 2 consoles will allow me and my son to play different games at the same time. My current 1 and 2 TB drives in my PS5 of nothing but PS5 games is nearly full so I’m thinking I’m going to want a 4 or 8 tb drive.

I can’t remember if it’s just ANY Gen 4 drive or if I need to check the read/write speeds before buying? Also any recommendations on a 8/4 tb sad?
OP, Just get the SN850X 4TB.

Brigandier

Lexar 4TB NM790 SSD with Heatsink PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2 2280 Internal Solid State Drive, Up to 7400/6500 MB/s Read/Write, Compatible with PS5, for Gamers and Creators, Black (LNM790X004T-RN9NU) https://a.co/d/5Ipfcic

I got the 2 TB in the UK for £120 last week ready for the pro, 4tb total is plenty for me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think 5000 MB/s minimum is the official requirement. Kingston KC3000, Samsung Evo 990 Pro, Crucial P5 Plus - you can find more if you look up options.
I would not settle for this. Without the custom setup, where the SSD controller for the embedded storage supports a slightly boosted spec in terms of priority levels management, you would need extra bandwidth to allow the console to emulate the extra priority levels. If the console’s drive boasts 5.5 GB/s, you probably want 6.0-7.0 GB/s speeds for your additional PCI gen4 nVME SSD.

They never actually quoted anyone from Sony or linked the statement, the cnet guy who had the first hands on said that they don't fit.

Those of you upgrading storage don't forget this has a 2TB built in, if you had a launch unit you are getting more than twice as much storage internally. I was thinking of upgrading to a 4TB and if/when my 2TB Western Digital dies on me I will but I think for now having 2TB internally (minus what's blocked off) and 2TB as additional storage I think I'm good.

Rob_27

I think we will see more developers push ssd in PS6. If I'm wrong I will buy a speedier one for my pro if needed. Be nice to have 2 expansion bays inside the next console.

Ozriel

M$FT
Get the WD one.

My 980 Pro was killed by my PS5. Seen a few other complaints online. I know many say it’s because of an obsolete firmware in the SSD, but best to just go with the WD to be safe.

Though I’ve not heard any complaints about the 990 pro, so there’s that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom