• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I ordered GotG2 UHD/3D for store pickup last night so naturally they still had two copies on shelves when I strolled in at 2PM.

Fry's has the LG UP970 player for $140. I want to jump on it, but I'm reading a lot complaints of it's drive being very noisy. Any body want to give their two cents on this player?

Where is that deal? I'm looking at their promo e-mails and website and the lowest I see is $236.99.

rothgar

Where is that deal? I'm looking at their promo e-mails and website and the lowest I see is $236.99.

This is from the promo email I got on Sunday. It doesn't state the player as the LG player, but the price before reduction matches.

0j23nRgm.png

torontoml

Fry's has the LG UP970 player for $140. I want to jump on it, but I'm reading a lot complaints of it's drive being very noisy. Any body want to give their two cents on this player?
Mine was an April build, so they are apparently performing well after that, but I took mine back after the first two movies I tried on it froze up and I had to eject the disc to get it working again.

Spent a couple hundred more and got the Panasonic UB900. Not regretting it yet and don't think I will, hopefully it gets a Dolby Vision update.

I just got the regular blu for GotG2 today. Almost got the 4K to future proof myself for an extra $8, but know it will be many years before I upgrade to a 4K TV. At that point I can probably get it cheap on 4K, or they will have released a Dolby Vision release of it or something.
But man, does the blu look damn good.

And no, I don't have Atmos yet. Holding out a bit on that as well. Only recently went from 5.1 to a 7.1 setup. Just adjusting to that, and would rather upgrade most of my speakers before adding height channels.

I both get and don't get why they don't put Atmos tracks on the blu ray discs. They don't take up that much more space than a DTS HD MA or Dolby True HD track, but at the same time, they want you to get the 4K disc since it is more expensive.

And while I can't use the Atmos track to its full potential now, it is nice knowing I am future proof at least on the sound. And it is nice to see some more DTS X tracks releasing.

Westonian

GotG v2 UHD is glorious! Not the best example of HDR I've seen, but the colors! The colors are insane!

Some of the HDR highlights were really cool though. Peter's gun blasts near the end battle at the planet's core were great, and Yandu's arrow when the lights went off during their prison break sequence was really cool. And the
ravager funeral
at the end of the film was amazing.

Audio and visual demo material in every way.

Chairhome

GotG v2 UHD is glorious! Not the best example of HDR I've seen, but the colors! The colors are insane!

Some of the HDR highlights were really cool though. Peter's gun blasts near the end battle at the planet's core were great, and Yandu's arrow when the lights went off during their prison break sequence was really cool. And the
ravager funeral
at the end of the film was amazing.

I've already seen it, but I would at least spoiler part of the above for people that haven't.

Some of the HDR highlights were really cool though. Peter's gun blasts near the end battle at the planet's core were great, and Yandu's arrow when the lights went off during their prison break sequence was really cool. And the ravager funeral at the end of the film was amazing.

Guardians is why I decided to upgrade my tv!

D23

Wow just finished guardians in 4k hdr. Impressive.. it takes the crown out of Pacific Rim. Demo material for sure.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Add me to the list of being blown away by GotG2 in 4K, simply gorgeous to behold...dat HDR. It was my first time seeing the movie and I was kinda disappointed...but visually yes it's fucking spectacular.

Watched Guardians 2 tonight in 4K. Pretty good. Movie wasn't the greatest but I laughed a fair bit and the colors were good.

Now kinda bummed I didn't get the steelbook.. But know I didn't neeeeeed it...

Best Buy was certainly picked over this morning. 4K must be popular out here.

Grabbed it last night after work. My BB also happened to have one (ONE) 4K steelbook left for Alien: Covenant so I made good on my word that I wouldn't preorder it but would grab the steelbook if I happened to see it in the wild.

On a slightly lighter note: how does everyone organize their shelf? Straight alphabet? Genre? Series?

I would assume anyone with steelbooks and metalpaks (and I guess digibooks) would keep them all together because it would be weird having mixed cases on the shelf, but some people don't care as much for aesthetics. This is particularly a weird hierarchy for me with shelving since I've got this mix of BD and 4K and steelbooks across both.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Can this be an AVR thread?

i think anything thats related to experiencing the best possible audio and video of blu-rays and UHDs is fair game. We're not an AV forum so an AVR thread would be super niche.

speaking of AVRs and stuff, has anyone used a external 12v DC trigger to turn on amps? My outlaw 7x125 has a 12V trigger to turn it off and on, but my stupid Onkyo has one, but it can only be used for zone 2, which is ridiculous.

Watched GotG 2 last night...WOW, probably the most impressive UHD I've seen so far. The HDR is pretty incredible especially on Ego's planet.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
LG player updated with Dolby Vision.

My Denon AVR still doesn't pass it yet...

but I don't have any Dolby Vision discs yet (*glares at Disney*).

so do I run the HDMI cable straight to the TV (and probably go buy a DV movie or two) or just holdout for the whole chain to be complete.

-griffy-

Banned
LG player updated with Dolby Vision.

My Denon AVR still doesn't pass it yet...

but I don't have any Dolby Vision discs yet (*glares at Disney*).

so do I run the HDMI cable straight to the TV (and probably go buy a DV movie or two) or just holdout for the whole chain to be complete.

My Yamaha AVR doesn't support Dolby Vision (probably won't be updated either), so I'm making use of both HDMI ports on the LG player. So the one straight to the TV for video, and the second to the receiver for audio. That way I get all the video modes supported by the player and the TV, and the HD audio supported by my receiver.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
My Yamaha AVR doesn't support Dolby Vision (probably won't be updated either), so I'm making use of both HDMI ports on the LG player. So the one straight to the TV for video, and the second to the receiver for audio. That way I get all the video modes supported by the player and the TV, and the HD audio supported by my receiver.

oh yeah, I mean, that's what I'd do.

but it's kind of a pain considering I don't have a disc yet.

chicken and egg problem really.

If I run the cables, I'm sure I'll go buy some DV discs.

But since I don't have the cables run, I don't really want to pick any of the current DV discs up.

(note, if GOTG2 had actually shipped with DV, I'd have ran the extra HDMI)

Do you know if a receiver supports Dolby Vision but your television doesn't what happens? I ask because I got the Sony x900e which only supports HDR10 standard and still need a receiver.

You won't use DV then. DV doesn't get downconverted or anything, so the source device (DVD player or game console) will just send HDR10.

Most of the good brand 4k receivers now pass HDR10 right now out of the box no problemo

-griffy-

Banned
oh yeah, I mean, that's what I'd do.

but it's kind of a pain considering I don't have a disc yet.

chicken and egg problem really.

If I run the cables, I'm sure I'll go buy some DV discs.

But since I don't have the cables run, I don't really want to pick any of the current DV discs up.

(note, if GOTG2 had actually shipped with DV, I'd have ran the extra HDMI)
Oh yeah, I gotcha. I don't have any DV discs either, it was just simple enough in my case to run both cables and get it over with.

Wow just finished guardians in 4k hdr. Impressive.. it takes the crown out of Pacific Rim. Demo material for sure.

IDK, i watched Guardians in 4k HDR (hdr10) and then watched Pacific Rim ni 4k (Dolby Vision) a couple days after since it was on sale.

Pacific Rim wowed me beyond Gotg2. The color grading was phenomenal imo. guardians felt a little soft. I felt they could have taken advantage of HDR a bit more when they were on
EGO
. It was beautiful but i think PR outshines it.

see5harp

You won't use DV then. DV doesn't get downconverted or anything, so the source device (DVD player or game console) will just send HDR10.

Most of the good brand 4k receivers now pass HDR10 right now out of the box no problemo

Okay I wasn't even aware that there was a difference between the two. I thought they were just competing formats like DTS and Dolby was for sound. Is Dolby Vision a significant upgrade in quality over HDR10?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Okay I wasn't even aware that there was a difference between the two. I thought they were just competing formats like DTS and Dolby was for sound. Is Dolby Vision a significant upgrade in quality over HDR10?

Dolby Vision has way stronger tone mapping - so it should map to your display's capabilities far better giving a more accurate picture.

HDR10 is good, but it's kind of the wild west in terms of display and tone mapping --- and while standards have gotten better, it can sometimes be slightly off.

I'd say like HDR is like 85-90% great... DV is just that extra bit on top that AV/film junkies chase when they calibrate their TVs and what good reference material, etc.

Fess

Dolby Vision has way stronger tone mapping - so it should map to your display's capabilities far better giving a more accurate picture.

HDR10 is good, but it's kind of the wild west in terms of display and tone mapping --- and while standards have gotten better, it can sometimes be slightly off.

I'd say like HDR is like 85-90% great... DV is just that extra bit on top that AV/film junkies chase when they calibrate their TVs and what good reference material, etc.
Trying to update myself on the tech bits, the Xbox One X only handle HDR10 going by specs, does it pass through Dolby Digital or can you settle with HDR10 for the other gear too (AVR, TV, Projector) ?
It's incredibly complicated to jump in late to all of this :/

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Trying to update myself on the tech bits, the Xbox One X only handle HDR10 going by specs, does it pass through Dolby Digital or can you settle with HDR10 for the other gear too (AVR, TV, Projector) ?
It's incredibly complicated to jump in late to all of this :/

Xbox One X only outputs HDR10.

Only a couple players on the market output Dolby Vision, and there's only a handful of discs (at this point)

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Xbox One X only outputs HDR10.

Only a couple players on the market output Dolby Vision, and there's only a handful of discs (at this point)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Xbox One X was gonna have Dolby Atmos capability sometime in the future with a firmware update? I swear I saw that somewhere back during E3.

-griffy-

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Xbox One X was gonna have Dolby Atmos capability sometime in the future with a firmware update? I swear I saw that somewhere back during E3.

Dolby Atmos is a surround sound format, Dolby Vision is an HDR format.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Xbox One X was gonna have Dolby Atmos capability with a firmware update? I swear I saw that somewhere back during E3.

It does have Atamos via software update. The hope is that it will also get Dolby Vision via software update sometime in the future.

Westonian

Anywhere to get that guardians uhd/3d combo in eu? (and playable on region 2)

Nope. I haven't checked the region coding of the 3D disc, but 4K is region free. That bad news is the 4K/3D combo appears to have been a limited run retailer exclusive, and pretty much sold out. You might be stuck with buying the 3D and 4K releases separately. (At least the 3D is available by other means in the EU. In the US it looks like if you couldn't get the combo you are SOL forever.)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This is from the promo email I got on Sunday. It doesn't state the player as the LG player, but the price before reduction matches.

0j23nRgm.png

Ok, I found it. Thanks.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
so had some time to mess around with both GOTG2 4K VUDU Dolby Vision, and GOTG2 4K UHD HDR10.

First things first- the UHD is rad. It's one of the best presentations I've seen on UHD. Disney did a great job. The overall picture quality, brightness, blacks are terrific. It's one of the best presentations out there.

That said, being able to nearly directly compare to a 4K DV source is interesting --- and it's apparent the meta data is making a difference.

The HDR10 version is slightly over saturated, colors pushed a little bit too much, or mapped slightly incorrectly. The DV version looks more "real" in places when you see actors like Yondu or Gamorra and their skin and make-up tones.

That said, the higher bitrate on the disc looks awesome, and the Atmos soundtrack is sensational.

You can't really go wrong either way, though the VUDU version does make me a little sad Dolby Vision isn't on the disc.

Top Bottom