• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

Realyst

so had some time to mess around with both GOTG2 4K VUDU Dolby Vision, and GOTG2 4K UHD HDR10.

First things first- the UHD is rad. It's one of the best presentations I've seen on UHD. Disney did a great job. The overall picture quality, brightness, blacks are terrific. It's one of the best presentations out there.

That said, being able to nearly directly compare to a 4K DV source is interesting --- and it's apparent the meta data is making a difference.

The HDR10 version is slightly over saturated, colors pushed a little bit too much, or mapped slightly incorrectly. The DV version looks more "real" in places when you see actors like Yondu or Gamorra and their skin and make-up tones.

That said, the higher bitrate on the disc looks awesome, and the Atmos soundtrack is sensational.

You can't really go wrong either way, though the VUDU version does make me a little sad Dolby Vision isn't on the disc.

Man, I'm upset. I was getting ready to do some A/B comparisons on several scenes between HDR10 on disc and the DV on VUDU, and saw that my redeemed digital copy was only HDX! Really, Disney??? I got the redeemed VUDU DV version of all my other discs, but not the one I really wanted to see.

Would you say it's worth buying the DV version?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Man, I'm upset. I was getting ready to do some A/B comparisons on several scenes between HDR10 on disc and the DV on VUDU, and saw that my redeemed digital copy was only HDX! Really, Disney??? I got the redeemed VUDU DV version of all my other discs, but not the one I really wanted to see.

Would you say it's worth buying the DV version?

depends on how obsessive you are, but for most, probably not. The HDR10 version is absolutely excellent, and has Atmos.

if you don't have a UHD player and have an OLED with VUDU DV, it may be a good way to get the film. It has it's own issues tho (bitrate isn't nearly as good, for instance)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
GotG2 doesn't show up in Vudu at all. It's my only Disney Movies Anywhere title that doesn't.

Has Microsoft ever addressed the washed out colours in HDR on the Xbox One S? I know when this was brought up after the console was first released a lot of people were suggesting that it was the user watching it in an environment that was too bright or the TV settings that were the issue. My calibration for HDR is pretty damn good on content outside the Xbox One S - no complaints - yet I tried Guardians 2 on Xbox One S last night and it was definitely washed out. It's something I have noticed even in HDR games on the Xbox as well.

A google search suggests I'm not alone but I haven't found an official acknowledgement of the issue or a working solution.

Westonian

Has Microsoft ever addressed the washed out colours in HDR on the Xbox One S? I know when this was brought up after the console was first released a lot of people were suggesting that it was the user watching it in an environment that was too bright or the TV settings that were the issue. My calibration for HDR is pretty damn good on content outside the Xbox One S - no complaints - yet I tried Guardians 2 on Xbox One S last night and it was definitely washed out. It's something I have noticed even in HDR games on the Xbox as well.

A google search suggests I'm not alone but I haven't found an official acknowledgement of the issue or a working solution.

I've read that this is because the One S does not support YCbCr output at all. The One S also defaults to 8-bit color output. You'll want to change it to 12-bit (The One S does not support 10-bit) Someone on AVS mentioned that because of those two factors, you'll want to run your calibrations from a disc on the Xbox, not another source, so you can adjust for that.

I've read that this is because the One S does not support YCbCr output at all. The One S also defaults to 8-bit color output. You'll want to change it to 12-bit (The One S does not support 10-bit) Someone on AVS mentioned that because of those two factors, you'll want to run your calibrations from a disc on the Xbox, not another source, so you can adjust for that.

Thanks. Would this be a software issue that can be fixed or a hardware problem? I wonder if the Xbox One X can correct for it.

Oof, good advice here. Thanks.

Clockwork

I don't believe this is accurate.

Same. HDR from multiple other sources looks good, HDR from Xbox always needs tinkering and looks too dark no matter what output settings I choose. I've heard the same from many others.
I'm planning on replacing it with a real 4K player sometime later. Maybe that LG UP970 since it has DV support. Gotta read some impressions first on how well it performs.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Wait what??

I've been using the 10 bit color setting for HDR10 since I've owned the S...when watching a UHD disc it says 'HDR10' when I press info on my TV during playback, I wonder if I should've been using 12-bit the whole time but I thought that was only for Dolby Vision discs..

Clockwork

Wait what??

I've been using the 10 bit color setting for HDR10 since I've owned the S...when watching a UHD disc it says 'HDR10' when I press info on my TV during playback, I wonder if I should've been using 12-bit the whole time but I thought that was only for Dolby Vision discs..

No. Like I said, that seems to be tales from the ass.

Also Xbox One S does support YCC. By default it will push 4:2:0 when outputting that format. There was a firmware update to also enable 4:2:2 (there is a checkbox/selection available in display settings).

Unfortunately because the above item was posted though there are probably a few hundred people (if not more) that will have read this and will go on to spread more disinformation.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

Also Xbox one does support YCC. By default it will push 4:2:0 when outputting that format. There was a firmware update to also enable 4:2:2.

Unfortunately because the above go posted though there are probably a few hundred people (if not more) that will have read this and wikl go on to spread more disinformation.
Good to hear...out of curiosity if I set the One S to 12 bit but the source is 10 bit will the console automatically default to the 10 bit setting if needed?

Westonian

Also Xbox One S does support YCC. By default it will push 4:2:0 when outputting that format. There was a firmware update to also enable 4:2:2 (there is a checkbox/selection available in display settings).

Unfortunately because the above item was posted though there are probably a few hundred people (if not more) that will have read this and will go on to spread more disinformation.

You're right. Call it a garbled brain fart. I didn't remember correctly what I had read (which was from last December) when I was researching whether to get the One S or the Oppo.

The One S DEFAULTS to 4:2:0 8-bit regardless of your TV's capabilities. If HDR content is played, and the S is set to auto, it will switch to 10-bit color depth.

As for the washed out colors, I would make sure your HDMI input on your TV has HDR turned on. (I think for most TVs it is not on by default).

piggy backing on the AVR talk a page back:

I currently have a 300W sound bar ( this one )hooked to my TCL tv.

I have a killer SubWoofer and front and left speakers. I'm thinking even a very simple set up where i have the f , L, sub (maybe even a center) will give me better audio than the soundbar. I can't do surround sound anytime soon as I have concrete flooring and my house is not easy to snake audio wires through its walls.

Questions:

1) Is there a good budget receiver that allows for HDR10 pass through/ decoding? (sorry, im dumb with this shit).

2) Could i technically use my sound bar as a central speaker and hook it to receiver using its audio optical output?

3) Stupid question again: what's a good audio cable to use between speaker and receiver? 16 gauge still fine?

Thanks, mates

piggy backing on the AVR talk a page back:

I currently have a 300W sound bar ( this one )hooked to my TCL tv.

I have a killer SubWoofer and front and left speakers. I'm thinking even a very simple set up where i have the f , L, sub (maybe even a center) will give me better audio than the soundbar. I can't do surround sound anytime soon as I have concrete flooring and my house is not easy to snake audio wires through its walls.

Questions:

1) Is there a good budget receiver that allows for HDR10 pass through/ decoding? (sorry, im dumb with this shit).

2) Could i technically use my sound bar as a central speaker and hook it to receiver using its audio optical output?

3) Stupid question again: what's a good audio cable to use between speaker and receiver? 16 gauge still fine?

Thanks, mates

1. What is your budget? Anything more recent will support HDCP 2.2 / 4K / HDR passthrough etc..

2. Does your soundbar actually have an optical out? Receivers do not usually have optical out.

3. 16 gauge should be fine for short runs, if you are doing a long run or have high impedance speakers, then maybe you would want to go for 12 gauge.

You're right. Call it a garbled brain fart. I didn't remember correctly what I had read (which was from last December) when I was researching whether to get the One S or the Oppo.

The One S DEFAULTS to 4:2:0 8-bit regardless of your TV's capabilities. If HDR content is played, and the S is set to auto, it will switch to 10-bit color depth.

As for the washed out colors, I would make sure your HDMI input on your TV has HDR turned on. (I think for most TVs it is not on by default).

At least on my KS8000, nothing will show that HDR is even available if you don't have it on for that input. The PS4Pro and XOne S will both literally say the TV doesn't support HDR without it being enabled on that input.

The S is definitely just not that great of a player. I owned the Samsung standalone and traded it for the S and have regretted it since. Not that it's the worst thing ever, by any stretch. But, the Samsung absolutely looked notably better, even with standard 1080p blurays.

F34R

At least on my KS8000, nothing will show that HDR is even available if you don't have it on for that input. The PS4Pro and XOne S will both literally say the TV doesn't support HDR without it being enabled on that input.

The S is definitely just not that great of a player. I owned the Samsung standalone and traded it for the S and have regretted it since. Not that it's the worst thing ever, by any stretch. But, the Samsung absolutely looked notably better, even with standard 1080p blurays.
Yeah, I don't use anything other than the sammy 4k player.

1. What is your budget? Anything more recent will support HDCP 2.2 / 4K / HDR passthrough etc..

2. Does your soundbar actually have an optical out? Receivers do not usually have optical out.

3. 16 gauge should be fine for short runs, if you are doing a long run or have high impedance speakers, then maybe you would want to go for 12 gauge.

1. $300-$400

2. It doesn't. Good call.

3. Awesome, thanks!

Uh, what? How? I'm seeing it on sale for $136.99.

I think you mean it is on sale for $236.

If you get the FRY's emails, it was in Sunday's weekly deal. Have to have a promo code that you get with the email though.

l6z5vza.png

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
If you're not currently getting Fry's promo e-mails they run that same deal on the LG UP970 about every three weeks.

Sorry if it’s already been discussed, but what’s the best way to calibrate a 4K/HDR TV? Is there any recommended UHD disc yet? I don’t go super crazy about it, I had the Disney calibration blu-ray and was happy with the results

Has anyone used one of the HDFury linkers (this thing)to downscale a 4K HDR signal to 1080p? As much as I would love to get a 4k set since they seem to be getting cheaper AND having HDR, I am currently rocking a 120" projector ATM and would like to not go smaller just to watch movies.

Westonian

Has anyone used one of the HDFury linkers (this thing)to downscale a 4K HDR signal to 1080p? As much as I would love to get a 4k set since they seem to be getting cheaper AND having HDR, I am currently rocking a 120" projector ATM and would like to not go smaller just to watch movies.
You could use that, or just buy the Oppo player that will do that for you.

i could, but i'd rather use that 50 grand on more important stuff.

I mean you can get a faux-k projector like the Epson 5040 or Optoma UHD60 for around $2k, the pixel shifting tech does create a better picture than 1080p. I don't know how good your 1080p projector is though, if it is good enough you are better off waiting a while.

I know Spielberg's Close Encounters is getting a short film showing in its 4K remaster but the UHD Blu-ray will also be available around the 19th Sept. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Close-Encounters-of-the-Third-Kind-4K-Blu-ray/183912/
Anyone planning on getting it?
I'm uncertain how much better it'll look, as the film tends to have a rather soft look to it. But I imagine the colours to be richer and more striking thanks to HDR.
This was the third film I ever saw at the cinema. The previous film was Star Wars and my first was Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (which wasn't very good but as a 7yr old it was great). They all came out in 1977.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I know Spielberg's Close Encounters is getting a short film showing in its 4K remaster but the UHD Blu-ray will also be available around the 19th Sept. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Close-Encounters-of-the-Third-Kind-4K-Blu-ray/183912/
Anyone planning on getting it?
I'm uncertain how much better it'll look, as the film tends to have a rather soft look to it. But I imagine the colours to be richer and more striking thanks to HDR.
This was the third film I ever saw at the cinema. The previous film was Star Wars and my first was Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (which wasn't very good but as a 7yr old it was great). They all came out in 1977.
I'll be getting it myself. It's the first Spielberg movie available in 4k, right? Just like when it was his first movie to be available on BD a generation before.

Also, this is quite a surprise.

Peanuts Holiday Collection (1965-1973) (Deluxe Edition) 4K UHD

BURBANK, CA (July 10, 2017) -- Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) is releasing some of Peanuts’ most beloved seasonal television specials on 4K Ultra HD for the first time ever, with Peanuts Holiday Collection, available October 10, 2017. Peanuts fans can now enjoy their favorite animated holiday classics in 4K Ultra HD resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR), for the ultimate home entertainment viewing experience. This compilation is comprised of nine Peanuts TV specials, including classics It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown; A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and A Charlie Brown Christmas, which will be offered together in a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray™ Combo Pack. The Combo-Pack includes a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray™ disc with the episodes in 4K with HDR, a Blu-ray™ disc and digital version of all nine specials. Peanuts Holiday Collection 4K UHD will retail for $44.98 SRP.
attachment.php

soundtest

Banned
For foolish people like me who want both 3D and 4K blus in one package, Best Buy has a GOTG2 steelbook that includes both for $35 on their website.

I hope this trend of both 3d and 4k being in one set becomes the thing, i love this option : )

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Thinking about a 4K bluray player now but I've been disappointed by 4k streaming, are blurays significantly higher quality?
I think it's common consensus that a regular 1080p BD has a better bitrate than the average 4k stream, so yeah, you can be sure that a 4k BD will provide a better quality image.

For foolish people like me who want both 3D and 4K blus in one package, Best Buy has GOTG2 steelbook that includes both for $35 on their website.

I hope this trend of both 3d and 4k being in one set becomes the thing, i love this option : )

yeah it looks like i just got one of the last copies in my area. i have to drive a good 15 mins to nab it but its there waiting for me.

Top Bottom