• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 New record-breaking rides that will terrify you this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Click the names for the video links.

PsJSmJ1.jpg
GOLIATH

Six Flags Great America Gurnee, Illinois

It’s a wooden roller coaster, but steel layers in the track make possible the tallest, steepest drop (180 feet, 85 degrees) and fastest ride (72 mph) among its wooden brethren.

SKYSCREAMER

Six Flags New England Agawam, Massachusetts

This vertiginous version of the swing ride will dangle riders’ legs 400 feet up, spinning them in a circle till they hit 40 mph. Be warned: Six Flags says “only the birds will hear you scream.”

VERRÜCKT

Schlitterbahn Kansas City, Kansas

At 17 stories, this waterslide is taller than Niagara Falls. Four riders hop on a raft and plunge at speeds that could exceed 65 mph, whooshing to the bottom, then up five stories—to drop again. Verrückt? German for insane.

BANSHEE

King’s Island Mason, Ohio

Tear through seven inversions across 4,124 feet of track. It’s the world’s longest inverted coaster, complete with a spiral and a zero-G roll. Hello, lunch! It’s nice to see you again.

ZUMANJARO

Six Flags Great Adventure Jackson, New Jersey

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom will be the world’s highest drop ride, rocketing riders up 415 feet, pausing momentarily, then releasing them for a 10-second trip to the bottom at the vomit-inducing speed of 90 mph.

K.Sabot

Those fucking slides man, I've seen someone get air off the 2nd drop and it was one of the scariest things I've ever seen.

Namikaze1

I live in CT so it's either a 2 hour drive to Six Flags NE or 5-6 hours (there's always traffic heading to NY) drive to NJ. No matter which one I go to, I know for sure I'm going to chicken out. Swing rides are like a no go for me so Skyscreamer is a "Fuck no!"

Zumanjaro looks fun but at that height, nope.

Coins

Banned
That swing ride must be magical. It's probably very quiet so all you hear is your own heart beat and the sound of what could only be chain links pulling apart.

terrisus

In all the years I lived here, I have not once gone there yet. My brothers all have gone there except for me.

To be fair, I don't think I've ever actually gone there, and only went to Riverside a couple of times (and haven't been since it became a Six Flags). But then, I'm not that much of an amusement parks person.

Namikaze1

To be fair, I don't think I've ever actually gone there, and only went to Riverside a couple of times (and haven't been since it became a Six Flags). But then, I'm not that much of an amusement parks person.
I'm the same. Last time I went to an amusement park was 2010. My mother took my brothers and I to Florida and we went to Universal. I enjoyed the rides. The long lines though, not so much. And it was freaking hot so that didn't help.

the thought of that swing ride terrifies me. i don't know why, though, as i have no issue with a normal swing ride and know logistically that i'd probably die if the ride somehow broke on the normal one too.

jadedm17

Awesome, I'm from NY so thats not a bad drive. Road trip anyone?
So not doing the Skyscreamer : I went on a mini version last year at a local fairground and it was terrifying.

kswiston

Nope to those swings. It's a proven fact that sky swings are the scariest rides in existence.

The rollercoaster that Zumanjaro is built into looks like a clone of Cedar Point's Top Thrill Dragster.

They already have a Goliath and that swing thing at Six Flags Over Georgia. Are they just basically bringing the same rides to each of the parks now?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
They already have a Goliath and that swing thing at Six Flags Over Georgia. Are they just basically bringing the same rides to each of the parks now?

That's how it's been for 50-60 years. You get the same rides with discrepancies of 5-10 feet here and there, though they usually have different names.

Sky Screamer first opened at Six Flags Over Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKnUURQzyuE

I can never feel a real thrill on rides like this because my mind is telling me they are incredibly safe and nothing can go wrong so I'm basically just exerting G's on my body for no reason...

Nofunallowed.jpg

Namikaze1

That waterslide though is calling for me. I just need to go down it just once and I'll be satisfied. The wooden coaster is a straight up nope for me. Last time I went on a wooden coaster, I felt as if the ride was going to fall apart at any moment.

kswiston

That waterslide though is calling for me. I just need to go down it just once and I'll be satisfied. The wooden coaster is a straight up nope for me. Last time I went on a wooden coaster, I felt as if the ride was going to fall apart at any moment.

Last time I went on a wooden rollercoaster, I felt like my spine had gone through a compression. Give me the smoothness of steel every time.

sappyday

I love thrill rides. However we have Goliath here in Magic Mountain and it isn't that scary compared to the other ones that are there.

Bazza

Id give em all a go except the wooden and waterside obes, just looking at the makes me uneasy, the others look like serious fun.

Dany

Banned
I'm more worried about a rollercoaster being on top of it than I am of a breeze..

Top Thrill Dragster or whatever its called at Cedar Point is the same as that one. I've visited it enough times where the roller coast was stuck on top. Ideally the the weight of the passengers would move it forward or backwards, but it was just stuck lol.

DedValve

Banned
I took the zumanjaro (was kingda kah or something like that) a few years ago I think in 2010. Was suuuuuper crazy. 10/10 would ride again.

Man, everything's a Six Flags now, isn't it?

RIP Riverside

You're just a weee bit late to mourn riverside. 15 years or so.

Last time I went on a wooden rollercoaster, I felt like my spine had gone through a compression. Give me the smoothness of steel every time.

modern wooden coasters are MUCH smoother. SFGA in NJ has an amazing one by the name of El Torro. It's awesome.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I took the zumanjaro (was kingda kah or something like that) a few years ago I think in 2010. Was suuuuuper crazy. 10/10 would ride again.

Zumanjaro and Kingda Ka are two different things. Zumanjaro is the drop ride on the inside part of Kingda ka. The three orange pillars in the picture. Kinda hard to tell.

modern wooden coasters are MUCH smoother. SFGA in NJ has an amazing one by the name of El Torro. It's awesome.

dat first drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom