• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 New record-breaking rides that will terrify you this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hit Six Flags Great Adventure last weekend for the first time in a decade. I used to live close enough so that I could see Kingda Ka from my roof on a clear day and I've always wanted to ride it.

WELL THAT WAS TOO FUCKING BAD FOR ME because they're building Zumanjaro. Looks like the shit though. (You don't go to Six Flags Great Adventure 'expecting' to ride Kingda Ka anyway...) Did get to ride the 240ft Skyscreamer and that was pretty sweet. I'm never riding it again though. Something about being hundreds of feet in the air on a chain link swing doesn't sit right with me

I rode El Toro enough times to know that that giant wooden coaster up there will probably fuck me right up. Do want.

edit: good lord it just dawned on me that that's a waterslide and not a flume ride. WHAT THE FUCK

Random and off topic but if anyone here has ever ridden Chang or Green Lantern ("Stand Up To Your Fear!"), please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks it's the worst fucking abomination of a coaster anyone could possibly subject themselves to, the type of coaster to give a man fucking Thrombosis or some shit

Goliath and Banshee were designed by the same Swiss company, which is funny because there are no Roller Coasters in Switzerland.

These guys are cool as hell, got to visit their offices once.

Nokterian

OgX9V5d.jpg

1338.gif

NOPE!!

slit

I'm too old for this shit.

That's how I felt about these kinds of rides when I was 12 years old.

Pretty much.

NOPE: Not a one.

Skyscreamer? Yeah, fuck you, New England.

I watched Skyscreamer at Six flags over Ga.

Nope.

What's that smell?

It smells like something that sometimes gets rinsed with Summer's Eve!

kirby_fox

Banned
Being so close to Banshee, I'll have to try to take a day off and head there. Preferably a Tuesday (slowest day of the week for Kings Island).

The rest? Can't do slides or swings. Fuck that noise.

Prez

I'd love to be in any of those attractions, but I prefer high attractions at fun fairs in the middle of a city. The view you get there is always great.

strobogo

Banned
I rode Banshee yesterday. It is no joke. The first ride in my life that made me feel sick and out of breath from both g-force and hanging.

strobogo

Banned
Anyone noticed that the older you get the less fun rollercoasters become ?

I've noticed that it isn't really less fun, but more that they beat the shit out of you a lot more. And I think more about how unsafe they are. I went to Kings Island yesterday and feel like I was in a car wreck. I started feeling like that around 23 or so. That was about the same time when my knees would hurt for a day after jumping off a second or third stair.

strobogo

Banned
from what i hear from friends banshee is amazing

It's fucking dope. It's the only ride at KI that gives the "fuck, I'm going to throw up/fly away/die" feeling. Diamond Back is also pretty awesome for how much of the ride will have you out of your seat without destroying your body when it comes back down (like the Vortex, Racer, and sadly departed Son of Beast).

I love that the trend lately is to make things higher rather than the lame gimmicky stuff of 10-15 years ago of "95 degree drops!!" and those dumb inverted impulse coasters.

I would get married on that swing ride, it looks like it would be beautiful and quiet with a great view.

ito007

It's fucking dope. It's the only ride at KI that gives the "fuck, I'm going to throw up/fly away/die" feeling. Diamond Back is also pretty awesome for how much of the ride will have you out of your seat without destroying your body when it comes back down (like the Vortex, Racer, and sadly departed Son of Beast).

i've been waiting to ride banshee for too long now, im getting anxious. speaking of vortex, is it just me or is it getting bumpier every year? it's bordering on beast levels of chaos

EDIT: i mean beast as in "the beast" roller coaster

Sky Screamer looks like Windseeker at Canada's Wonderland........it's really boring, doesn't go fast enough

Ok screamer is taller and 10mph faster......but still, not too exciting

The drop tower on Kingda Ka looks insane though :D

Longshot

I remember almost losing consciousness when I hopped on the Goliath at Six Flags when I went to California a few tears ago, was pretty gnarly.

strobogo

Banned
i've been waiting to ride banshee for too long now, im getting anxious. speaking of vortex, is it just me or is it getting bumpier every year? it's bordering on beast levels of chaos

EDIT: i mean beast as in "the beast" roller coaster

The Beast actually seems to be getting less rough over the years. The only part that feels rough to me now is the turn into the last tunnel. The Vortex fucks my ears up more and more every time I go to KI. But I think The Racer is actually the roughest ride there now. It's been beating the shit out of me more and more every year for the past 10 years. It's so bumpy and the bars always go a few notches tighter to the point where I feel like my balls are dead by the end of the ride.

The thing that makes me most sad about going to KI now (besides all the name changes) is how unbelievably lame The Adventure Express seems now. It used to knock the shit out of me, but now it feels like half of the ride is missing. And even after Cedar Point bought it out, they still played the Indiana Jones theme for a few years, but they don't do that anymore. Same with Top Gun/The Bat playing Danger Zone even after the change.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode

Patently untrue. I'm 50, and cannot wait for the yearly trips my wife and I take to Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Six Flags Great America. All coasters, all the time!

ito007

The Beast actually seems to be getting less rough over the years. The only part that feels rough to me now is the turn into the last tunnel. The Vortex fucks my ears up more and more every time I go to KI. But I think The Racer is actually the roughest ride there now. It's been beating the shit out of me more and more every year for the past 10 years. It's so bumpy and the bars always go a few notches tighter to the point where I feel like my balls are dead by the end of the ride.

The thing that makes me most sad about going to KI now (besides all the name changes) is how unbelievably lame The Adventure Express seems now. It used to knock the shit out of me, but now it feels like half of the ride is missing. And even after Cedar Point bought it out, they still played the Indiana Jones theme for a few years, but they don't do that anymore. Same with Top Gun/The Bat playing Danger Zone even after the change.

i can totally relate to this, delirium does this to me as well. and yeah i agree the adventure express feels like a shell of its former self. im so glad cedar point bought it out though, paramounts ownership really disappointed me. That italian job ride left a sour taste. tomb raider was decent but look where that is now... at the least they kept the park afloat

I went on my first ride on a coaster with a loop a few years ago in Vegas. Pretty much solidified my thoughts that I am the biggest pussy when it comes to thrill rides and they are not for me.

Nope, nope, nope, nope to everything in this thread.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Man I have become such a pussy about these things lol. I just don't trust them, I think it's as simple as that

strobogo

Banned
i can totally relate to this, delirium does this to me as well. and yeah i agree the adventure express feels like a shell of its former self. im so glad cedar point bought it out though, paramounts ownership really disappointed me. That italian job ride left a sour taste. tomb raider was decent but look where that is now... at the least they kept the park afloat

Tomb Raider/The Crypt is closed down now. It hasn't been torn down yet, but all signs and markings are gone from it. I thought it was terrible in both incarnations, but infinitely worse as The Crypt. I had no issues with Paramount in charge. I really see no differences (outside of rides they got from Cedar Point) besides name changes/paint jobs. I went every year for a solid 12 years and the only difference I've seen since the buy out is cosmetic. It's just as clean, the staff is the same non-plussed group of late teenagers/early 20s kids, all the food is as over priced. The only real difference to me is how the kid area changed to all Snoopy stuff. It's not like Hanna Barbara land was really up to date, but Snoopy? 5 year olds today don't know about Snoopy.

akira28

It's the opposite with me. When I was a kid, I was afraid of them, although before that I used to beg my parents to take me on one. Then as an adult, I'm not afraid of them at all, and I tend to enjoy them. But fuck standing in line that long.

The Outer Limits at Kings Dominion was fucking crazy though. I think it's completely underground and in the dark, and it's magnetic or something, so as soon as you get in, BOOM.

Wubby

A big fat YES to all of them! Several times if the lines were short enough. New ride lines are always soooo long. I still remember when X opened at SF:MM and the line was like 6 hours long.

ito007

Tomb Raider/The Crypt is closed down now. It hasn't been torn down yet, but all signs and markings are gone from it. I thought it was terrible in both incarnations, but infinitely worse as The Crypt. I had no issues with Paramount in charge. I really see no differences (outside of rides they got from Cedar Point) besides name changes/paint jobs. I went every year for a solid 12 years and the only difference I've seen since the buy out is cosmetic. It's just as clean, the staff is the same non-plussed group of late teenagers/early 20s kids, all the food is as over priced. The only real difference to me is how the kid area changed to all Snoopy stuff. It's not like Hanna Barbara land was really up to date, but Snoopy? 5 year olds today don't know about Snoopy.

haha i know we could use some work but i know we could be a LOT worse. we could be cedar point levels of bad personnel. i should specify i work as a merchandise associate at the water park. management didnt change that much other than we got an ex-disney guy in here, but i feel like we have been held to a bit of a higher standard these past couple years. that being said, i feel like our results are the same, but at least they are trying harder. and yeah snoopy barely makes any sense at all nowadays. nickelodeon kids park was the best kids park for sure

terrible

Banned
Wooden rides are great. I legitimately worry that they might not be safe so there's a little bit of real fear involved which makes it that much more fun lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom