• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 New record-breaking rides that will terrify you this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
haha i know we could use some work but i know we could be a LOT worse. we could be cedar point levels of bad personnel. i should specify i work as a merchandise associate at the water park. management didnt change that much other than we got an ex-disney guy in here, but i feel like we have been held to a bit of a higher standard these past couple years. that being said, i feel like our results are the same, but at least they are trying harder. and yeah snoopy barely makes any sense at all nowadays. nickelodeon kids park was the best kids park for sure

I literally went to KI every year from 3-18, and then a few spotty years between 19-26 and the staff was always the same. Even before the buy out. And the staff felt the same when I went to CP. It's a bunch of kids fresh out of high school who think it will be a fun job and then find it is really boring to stand in the same place for 8 hours making sure seat belts are latched. And then they start trying to find ways to entertain themselves by trying to make each other laugh and saying stupid shit to patrons. It doesn't matter who is working. After a few weeks, they all become the same person.

I went on my first ride on a coaster with a loop a few years ago in Vegas. Pretty much solidified my thoughts that I am the biggest pussy when it comes to thrill rides and they are not for me.

Nope, nope, nope, nope to everything in this thread.

Huh. Loops do nothing for me. Just feels like going up a hill and coming down a hill. Never really had any significant hangtime.

Now corkscrews and zero/one-g rolls (oh Hulk you so crazy), those are the shit. Give me rolls over loops any day of the week.

All I've ever heard about wooden coasters is that they will beat the ever-loving piss out of your body.

You've never been on a wooden coaster?

--
I wouldn't do the swings. But I'd do everything else... Only other maybe is the slide because that just doesn't seem right to me... like sitting on a tube ... I just feel like it's not safe. I'm sure it is, but it just feels like it isn't.

I'd love to do any of the others though.

I still reflexively call Kings Island PKI :/

I remember going there right after Outer Limits: Flight of Fear opened, that shit was amazing... all the alien stuff in the queue, the total darkness, etc. When I went back years later you could see pretty clearly inside during the ride and it was a lot less exciting.

ito007

I literally went to KI every year from 3-18, and then a few spotty years between 19-26 and the staff was always the same. Even before the buy out. And the staff felt the same when I went to CP. It's a bunch of kids fresh out of high school who think it will be a fun job and then find it is really boring to stand in the same place for 8 hours making sure seat belts are latched. And then they start trying to find ways to entertain themselves by trying to make each other laugh and saying stupid shit to patrons. It doesn't matter who is working. After a few weeks, they all become the same person.

oh yeah im sure. it can be really easy to get distracted when there's barely anything to do. thankfully i can just spend the time by stocking items. but anyways i just wish they would add more rides to the waterpark. gonna have to admit its getting a bit stale, although the small additions are helpful.

strobogo

Banned

I remember going there right after Outer Limits: Flight of Fear opened, that shit was amazing... all the alien stuff in the queue, the total darkness, etc. When I went back years later you could see pretty clearly inside during the ride and it was a lot less exciting.

It's still PKI t o me. Vertigo is still Face/Off and The Bat is still Top Gun.

The best thing about Outer Limits is that the only thing that has changed since 1996 is that they went with lap bars instead of over head bars. It's the same decorations and video since it opened. I can remember that the first 3-4 years had HOURS long lines sometimes, with every gate open.

Watevaman

Roller coasters are really the only time I hate wearing glasses. I like to have them on to see the views from the top but I've had occasions where they've almost flown off my face (actually caught them on one ride) so I usually take them off.

These all look like awesome fun except for the swing. Ever since I saw the video where that one falls down I'm staying away.

And Canada's Wonderland will always be PCW to me :p

I've only ever hurt myself on a steel roller coaster (Flight Deck, Canada's Wonderland). My neck was sore for a week and it's not even that intense. I think it just depends on the ride.

That ride has always been notorious for killing necks

Hang on. That giant swing..... Does it really just have a horizontal lap bar that slide up and down the front two vertical chains?

If so.....super nope.

And Canada's Wonderland will always be PCW to me :p

That ride has always been notorious for killing necks

Just looked it up and yep, Flight Deck's a Vekoma. Those are notorious for being rough.

For anyone who's concerned about roughness, a general rule of thumb is to stick with B&M and Intamin coasters. Vekomas are only smooth at Disney parks for some reason.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Goliath came out years ago didn't it?

Nope. They tore down Iron Wolf at Great America to build this. It must have been last year too, since I rode Iron Wolf the fall of 2012. I'm not even sure if Goliath is running yet. I looked at construction photos on the website this past week and it didn't look complete, although this weekend is opening weekend.

shoplifter

Wait, they rebranded Top Gun/Flight Deck to The Bat? I was just there last year and it was still Flight Deck.

I guess 30 years later it's not such a terrible idea.

Edit: by god, they did. I don't know why you'd waste that on a twenty plus year old coaster instead of giving the new one the infamous name, but whatever.

// KI

Wait, they rebranded Top Gun/Flight Deck to The Bat? I was just there last year and it was still Flight Deck.

Edit: by god, they did. I don't know why you'd waste that on a twenty plus year old coaster instead of giving the new one the infamous name, but whatever.

Huh? What park did that?

At Wonderland the bat is still the bat

Avinexus

Huh? What park did that?

At Wonderland the bat is still the bat

He is talking about Kings Island. A coaster there use to be Top Gun themed, then they changed the name to Flight Deck after Cedar Fair bought the park from Paramount. They are calling it The Bat for the first time this year.

strobogo

Banned

It's because they aren't Paramount anymore. Anything that had Paramount ties was changed when Cedar Point purchased the park. Tomb Raider became The Crypt (and then shut down entirely), Top Gun was renamed Flight Deck and then The Bat, Outer Limits dropped that and became just The Flight of Fear (but kept the decorations and video), and the kiddie park dropped all Hanna Barbara (which had almost entirely been dropped for years) and Nickelodeon branding in favor of Peanuts. Actually, just Snoopy.

Most of the park is exactly the same as only a few rides outside of the kid area were Paramount branded at all. The 3D theater ride which was James Bond for years and then Sponge Bob is completely shut down as well, but they more or less replaced that with the dinosaur stuff.

KevinRo

I'd go to the amusement park more often if the fucking six flags near me wasn't some broken down pos slum.

Every time I go there, there's always a fight in a line or Batman or Superman is broken down. Nothing like waiting in line for 40 minutes to have a group of douche bags come up and push everyone out of the way.

He is talking about Kings Island. A coaster there use to be Top Gun themed, then they changed the name to Flight Deck after Cedar Fair bought the park from Paramount. They are calling it The Bat for the first time this year.

Thats messed up

Wonderland has Top Gun (Paramount) -> Flight Deck (Cedar Fair)

The Bat is a totally different coaster altogether lol

Other changes

Italian Job -> Backlot Stunt Coaster
Tomb Raider -> Time Warp
Drop Zone -> Drop Tower

I also know that Vortex is completely different than Vortex at other parks, and I think Tomb Raider was different at other parks, it's a small flying coaster at Wonderland

strobogo

Banned
Thats messed up

Wonderland has Top Gun (Paramount) -> Flight Deck (Cedar Fair)

The Bat is a totally different coaster altogether lol

Other changes

Italian Job -> Backlot Stunt Coaster
Tomb Raider -> Time Warp
Drop Zone -> Drop Tower

I also know that Vortex is completely different than Vortex at other parks, and I think Tomb Raider was different at other parks, it's a small flying coaster at Wonderland

At Kings Island, Tomb Raider was rebranded as The Crypt. And as The Crypt, an already lame ride, became much worse. The actual ride itself changed, but the main issue was that the lights were on the whole ride after it changed, which completely ruined the point of the ride. And now it is shut down entirely.

Top Gun/Flight Deck/The Bat didn't change as a ride outside of the name/paint job. In fact, there are some references to the Top Gun theme left, such as a giant American flag still on a wall as you're walking to the ride that otherwise makes no sense at all. Up until at least 2011, they still played Danger Zone (and the Indiana Jones theme at The Adventure Express) at the ride despite Cedar Point having owned the park since 2006.

I've been to Cedar Point and Kings Island and I much prefer Kings Island, although the lay out of Cedar Point is MUCH better.

They changed all the theming because of licensing issues + Cedar Fair said they were an amusement park company whereas Paramount was a theme park company

SegaShack

Why doesn't ghetto ass Magic Mountain get any of this new shit?

I'm a former Magic Mountain employee.

They built too many rides actually. Usually a coaster a year. The park as a result is poorly maintained and you will see lots of dirty areas, rust, and chipped paint, not to mention that their rides break down all the time.

They closed the Log Jammer ride that was there since the day the park opened to build another coaster. It was unannounced too. I happened to ride Log Jammer during its last day of operation by chance.

Past few years they did:
Superman Backwards
Green Lantern
Lux Luther Doom Drop
Full Throttle

Wubby

I'm a former Magic Mountain employee.

They built too many rides actually. Usually a coaster a year. The park as a result is poorly maintained and you will see lots of dirty areas, rust, and chipped paint, not to mention that their rides break down all the time.

They closed the Log Jammer ride that was there since the day the park opened to build another coaster. It was unannounced too. I happened to ride Log Jammer during its last day of operation by chance.

I had a season pass to Magic Mountain for the longest time. I'm sad Log Jammer is gone! Was one of the things I had to always ride when I went there. It was better than Jet Stream. I'm a former Disney ride op (attractions host) myself. Always wondered how people could stand working at MM, that place gets so hot.

jman2050

The coasters look awesome and I never had a problem with swing rides.

Vertical open-air water slides are a huge NOPE for me however and that one makes me jittery just looking at it.

z4GAtJM.gif

I haven't gone on one of these rides since I've had a cell phone. What do you people do so you don't lose your cell phone on roller coasters like these?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I haven't gone on one of these rides since I've had a cell phone. What do you people do so you don't lose your cell phone on roller coasters like these?

-Put it in your pocket.
-Put it in one of those lockers outside of the ride.
-Have the pussy-who-isn't-riding-it-hold-it.

-Put it in your pocket.
-Put it in one of those lockers outside of the ride.
-Have the pussy-who-isn't-riding-it-hold-it.

1. Seems like it would fly out of the pocket unless it has a zipper or buttons to close the pocket.
2. I didn't know they had lockers for that.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1. Seems like it would fly out of the pocket unless it has a zipper or buttons to close the pocket.
2. I didn't know they had lockers for that.

Not really. I don't think I have ever lost anything in my pockets while on a ride/coaster.

Well, at Six Flags (NJ), they put lockers outside to hold items. But it was probably just a way to make a quick buck.

Wait, so Zumanjaro is inside of the kingda ka loop? I was wondering why it looked so familiar.

Yes.

Not really. I don't think I have ever lost anything in my pockets while on a ride/coaster.

Well, at Six Flags (NJ), they put lockers outside to hold items. But it was probably just a way to make a quick buck.

Yes.

Yeah, never ever had something fall out of my pockets either. Do people carry a lot of stuff or something? I just have my wallet when going in.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Yeah, never ever had something fall out of my pockets either. Do people carry a lot of stuff or something? I just have my wallet when going in.

I usually carry my phone, wallet and keys.

You have to remember the people that carry bags, cameras, etc. As well as the people that win prizes while at the park.

SegaShack

I had a season pass to Magic Mountain for the longest time. I'm sad Log Jammer is gone! Was one of the things I had to always ride when I went there. It was better than Jet Stream. I'm a former Disney ride op (attractions host) myself. Always wondered how people could stand working at MM, that place gets so hot.

I love Jet Stream more than Log Jammer, but Log Jammer was great. They have no regards for history or family attractions, it always had a huge line. All they do is compete with Cedar Park every year so they can say they have the most coasters in the world.

It gets rediculously hot. For one, the park itself has little to no shade. Secondly, Santa Clarita is a desert, its the town I live in too. I worked in the parking lot, which was just one giant black top with no shade and I would be out there usually about 4 hours at a time before I would get a break. I have no idea how I did it to be honest. I worked there 8 months but should have quit long before.

The jobs at any of the parks won't be great and customers will be a burden. I am sure with Disney crowds and lines you get much more crazy people. I think Disney and Universal at least are smart enough to shade their rides or have air conditioned indoor ques. Six Flags does nothing to protect people from the heat.

Sounds like viral marketing to me.

Could be, but this is now the 2nd or 3rd delay for this rides opening. Considering they have been promoting this ride since last winter you would think they would make more money via ticket sales by just opening the ride rather than continuing to delay it further. Viral marketing time should have ended when the park opened along with the ride, but that didn't happen because its still unsafe.

terrisus

Could be, but this is now the 2nd or 3rd delay for this rides opening. Considering they have been promoting this ride since last winter you would think they would make more money via ticket sales by just opening the ride rather than continuing to delay it further. Viral marketing time should have ended when the park opened along with the ride, but that didn't happen because its still unsafe.

Ah, I wasn't being fully serious. I would imagine there are legitimate issues to continue to work out.

But still, it does fit with the whole "this thing is insane" theme.

Looks like some footage was from when it wasn't even done being built.

After watching the story, seems like they just wanted to get your attention. They now have nets on most of it, so you don't go flying off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom