• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 years ago: Sony says PlayStations to overtake PCs

:D

5 years ago: Sony says PlayStations to overtake PCs

November 16 2004 by silicon.com

16.11.99: Sony's PlayStation 2 will become a serious alternative to the PC, says company CEO Nobuyuki Idei at the Comdex trade show in Las Vegas

The Sony chief claimed this would come true because as the internet changes the computer industry, the devices used will change as well.

Kazuo Hirai, president of Sony Computer Entertainment America, agreed, saying the PlayStation 2 will overtake the PC as the most popular means of accessing the web.

One factor that will aid the PS2, according to Hirai, is that it is built for broadband while PCs are held back by focussing on dial-up connections.

16.11.04: While the PlayStation 2 has proved a popular game console, it has hardly lived up to Sony's expectation of replacing the PC.

source http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops/0,39024645,39125944,00.htm

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
segasonic said:
uhm Playstation overtook the PC in game sales many years ago....
You could say the exact same thing towards the Super Nintendo. Doesn't dispute the fact that the head honcho's at Sony are wankers who spew out random bullshit most of the time.

What's next, a prediction that everyone playing games will have a HDTV by the end of 2005 in preparation for the PS3? Or better yet, Internet on a TV yet again.

xexex

Banned
Sony promised alot of shit for PS2 back in 2001, most of which never happened. the PS2 is a failer in terms of online gaming / internet support. wanna bet they wont get it right with PS3 either? :lol

impirius

Forget overtaking the PC... I'm still waiting for my PS2 to allow me to communicate to a new cybercity and jack into the Matrix

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"uhm Playstation overtook the PC in game sales many years ago...."

The point is that Sony suggested that PS2 would replace the use of PC. He's probably just talking about games.

But it hasn't. Try playing Warcraft 3, or Half Life2/Doom 3 (without bullshit auto-aiming), or WoW on a PS2.

Bebpo

Banned
teh_pwn said:
"uhm Playstation overtook the PC in game sales many years ago...."

The point is that Sony suggested that PS2 would replace the use of PC. He's probably just talking about games.

But it hasn't. Try playing Warcraft 3, or Half Life2/Doom 3 (without bullshit auto-aiming), or WoW on a PS2.

To be fair think of pre-95 PC gaming compared to now. Now there are still top-notch games, but you're talking about 2-4 games a year. Back in pre-95 I remember always reading PC Gamer and looking forward to the tons of PC games coming soon. There were big name platformers, RTS, FPS, rpgs, adventure games, puzzle games, flying, driving, sports, you name it.

IMO PS1/DC really hurt the PC gaming market. I mean even ignoring the systems what killed a lot of PC stuff was the move to 3d and ironically or not 3d getting huge was during the time of the Playstation.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Well, it's not like they even tried. Heck, the hardware isn't even capable of doing that right now -- I doubt they expected it to be the #1 method for going on the internet by magic.

If the Network Adaptor came in a $59 bundle with an internet browser disc and cheap keyboard and received a heavy marketing push, they probably could have gotten a couple of million in each region easily. Of course, they would have done that already if that was really their goal.

davis

and you can pick up the Next Generation mag a few years back with Bill Gates on the cover with about 10 page interview of pretty much how PC gaming was gonna take over everything the way he talked before they even went with xbox, like all this really matters in the end.

What has hurt PC games the most was the focus on a few genres and abandoning those that hardcore PC gamers originally loved. Graphic Adventures, Space Operas/Sims, so on, so forth.

Subitai

MS wasn't just reacting to this comment. Gates wanted PS2 to use MS developer tools and Idei said no. The meeting this occurred at also showed MS that Sony was serious about making PS2 an alternative to PC, even if that's not how it turned out now. I mean, they seriously projected selling 100-150 million by this year. Actually, this wasn't out of the question if they killed GCN and XBX they way they did with DC.

Anyway, MS started moving towards a console of their own from the top in March 99 (Gates, Balmer, Bach, Thompson, and lots of other important people) after this meeting and from the bottom after that year's GDC (Blackley, Berkes, Hase, Bachus) - way before this infamous quote.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
PhatSaqs said:
There will never be a hype machine as big as PS2s was :lol

I hear there's still a group of people in an underground bunker in Utah who wait for the PS2 to extend an ethernet cable to Heaven and download Jesus for them.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Weren't people saying a few years ago that the PC was dying as a serious gaming platform and that sooner or later no one would give a crap about it?

It's comments like this that got Microsoft's attention though, definitely.

I mean obviously if you're sitting at Microsoft something like would make you go "hmmmmm".

Sony also again took a shot at MS when they unveiled the PS2 in March 1999 by saying the PS2 and its custom architecture (along with future iterations like PS3) would eventually break the Wintel empire.

What MS feared (and still does) is that instead of having Windows Media Center on your TV, you'd have some Playstation-based interface that went beyond just gaming and excluded say the Windows OS/browser (hello Netscape).

Top Bottom