• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Movies. 50 Books. 1 year. - 2013 Edition

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
RatskyWatsky - 5/20 TV | 0/25 Books | 35/50 Movies

TV
  • Bob's Burgers (1 season so far)
  • The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret (2 seasons)
  • Xam'd: Lost Memories (1 season)
  • Crash (2 seasons)
  • Sleeper Cell (2 seasons)

Books

• Coming Soon

Movies

• ~ January ~
  • How to Steal a Million
  • Crash
  • Terminator 2: Judgement Day
  • Jiro Dreams of Sushi
  • Shakespeare in Love
  • Tiny Furniture
  • Arabian Nights
  • Bottle Rocket
  • Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation
  • Take Her, She's Mine
  • Jackie Chan's Project A
  • Dead Space: Downfall
  • Dead Space: Aftermath
  • Beasts of the Southern Wild
  • The Fighter
  • A Cat in Paris
  • The Grey
  • Let's Make Love
  • Paris is Burning
  • The Thing (1982)
  • Alakazam The Great
  • Chris and Don: A Love Story
  • Harold and Maude
  • Small Town Gay Bar
  • Enter The Void
  • Winter's Bone
  • Wasabi
  • Irreversible
  • The Usual Suspects
  • We're Not Married
  • The Ambassador's Daughter
  • Chinatown
  • Robocop
  • Apocalypse Now Redux
  • Groundhog Day
    ~ February ~

Manik

-Update-

Manik - 9/50 Books | 16/50 Movies

Books:
Soon I Will Be Invincible - Austin Grossman (C)
Them: Adventures With Extremists - Jon Ronson (A)
The Man In The High Castle - Philip K Dick (B)
The Psychopath Test - Jon Ronson (A)
Ship of Fools - Richard Russo (B)
Flat Earth News - Falsehood, Distortion and Propaganda in Global Media - Nick Davies (A)
The Troika - Stepan Chapman (A-)
Love In The Time Of Dinosaurs - Kirsten Alene (C)
This Book Is Full Of Spiders - David Wong (B)

Movies:
Grizzly Man (2nd Jan) (B)
Tintin (3rd Jan) (A)
Hugo (5th Jan) (B)
The Lorax (8th Jan) (C)
Four Lions (9th Jan) (D)
Cave Of Forgotten Dreams (10th Jan) (C)
TiMER (13th Jan) (D)
Exit Through The Gift Shop (15th Jan) (A)
Hitman Hart: Wrestling With Shadows (15th Jan) (C)
O, Brother, Where Art Thou? (19th Jan) (A)
John Dies At The End (20th Jan) (D)
Spaceballs (22nd Jan) (C)
Looper (25th Jan) (A)
Jesus Henry Christ (26th Jan) (C)
Tangled (29th Jan) (B)
Cabin in the Woods (31st Jan) (B)

-Stranger-

Update:

-Stranger- - 0/50 Books | 15/50 Movies

Movies:

Punch Drunk Love
The Bourne Legacy
Senna
The Expendables
Skyfall
Blue Valentine
Hugo
Memories of Murder
The Hangover Part II
Following
L.A. Confidential
Altered States
Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
Badlands

It's subjective at the end of the day, but I haven't seen anyone counting individual TPBs. In fact, just last year you said they wouldn't count.

So what is it? If we're counting individual TPBs I'll finish in three months. Those take, what, 20 minutes to read?

And last year I made it to like 32 books tops. So, yeah, that changed my mind.

I still think vol. 1 of like Wolverine & The X-Men shouldn't count, and yet I counted Tune 1. I guess I'm just an enigma.

;D

BenjaminBirdie - 4/50 books | 7/50 movies+​

Books
1. All The Wrong Questions 1: "Who Could That Be At This Hour?" by Lemony Snicket ****
2. The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg ****
3. Tune 1: Vanishing Point by Derek Kirk Kim ****
4. Tenth Of December by George Saunders **************** BEST FUCKING BOOK OF ALL TIME

Movies
1. This Is 40 ****
2. Casa De Mi Padre ****1/2
3. Super 8 ***
4. Les Miserables ****
5. Margaret ****1/2
6. Silver Lining Playbook ****
7. You Can Count On Me ****1/2

Fari

Update - 0/50 Books | 12/50 Movies

Books

• Coming Soon
Movies

• Kirikou and the Sorceress
  • The Cement Garden
  • Quest for Fire
  • A Fish Called Wanda
  • The Man Who Would Be King
  • Antichrist
  • The Rescuers
  • The Rescuers Down Under
  • Skyfall
  • Heavy Metal 2000
  • Toy Story 3
  • Up

I'm watching a lot of children's cartoons and I haven't finished my first book. I think I might be mentally regressing.

Empty

update:

Empty - 6/50 books | 16/50 films

Books -

1. never let me go by kazuo ishiguro
2. the left hand of darkness by ursula k. le guin
3+4. middlesex by jeffrey eugidenes (533 pages)
5. nothing to envy: real lives in north korea by barbara demick
6. a life too short: the tragedy of robert enke by ronald reng

Films -

1. the bicycle thief
2. brokeback mountain
3. the thin blue line
4. mission: impossible
5. life of pi 3d
6. the girl who leapt through time
7. les miserables
8. mean streets
9. ocean waves
10. kill bill vol. 1 & 2
11. jiro dreams of sushi
12. mission: impossible 2
13. a separation
14. tangled
15. queen of versailles
16. django unchained

middlesex is a novel centered around the coming of age of a hermaphrodite raised as female but told within the context of an epic three generation family story of 20th century greek immigrants moving to america. it won the pulitzer prize for fiction in 2003 and it feels deserved as i loved it. i was most interested in the coming of age part of this story, it was why i chose to read the book, and the intimate story of the protagonist falling in love with a woman but not quite processing it, dealing with going through male puberty as a female and then coming to terms with his identity is absolutely amazing. one of the best things i've read. the grander context is well written and engaging but not as good, i've read a lot of books trying to be a great american novel and it felt a bit going through the numbers with its depiction of the immigrant experience and its various turns. that said the use of detroit as a setting was interesting as i hadn't read anything set there and the use of a personal, very raw story put into a big context of a family history was also quite powerful.

already chosen my next book - nothing to envy - about north korea. time for some non-fiction i think as i still need to process that last book. hoping to see django later this week too. hype!

And last year I made it to like 32 books tops. So, yeah, that changed my mind.

I still think vol. 1 of like Wolverine & The X-Men shouldn't count, and yet I counted Tune 1. I guess I'm just an enigma.

;D

Fair enough. When I was finishing all UXF issues I'll likely count it. Same for when I read all 100 issues of 100 Bullets (on my list).

deleted

Wait, you just included this in yours, minus the indent. Is the indent what makes the difference?

Also, I don't really check the leaderboards that often (speaking for myself of course), so it would be fine by me if you only wanted to update it once a month or something.

Nope, I just used the indent to have the format stand out a bit more. If you use that format, I'll notice during the updating process and update your OP entry. If you don't include the format and only post a list or leave out your name, I'll most likely read over it and won't update your entry.

The thing is: If I only update once a month, the problem is still there and then I'd have to filter through far more posts. Small updates here and there means a lot less work at once.

deleted

i hope i'm doing this right. i'm trying to post my progress without using the update format and will instead edit my first post with my stats.

Books -

1. never let me go by kazuo ishiguro
2. the left hand of darkness by ursula k. le guin
3+4. middlesex by jeffrey eugidenes (533 pages)

Films -

1. the bicycle thief
2. brokeback mountain
3. the thin blue line
4. mission: impossible
5. life of pi 3d
6. the girl who leapt through time
7. les miserables
8. mean streets
9. ocean waves
10. kill bill vol. 1 & 2
11. jiro dreams of sushi
12. mission: impossible 2
13. a separation

Yep! That's exactly how I imagined it. Thanks :)

Edit: Wait, which post are you going to update now? Because your second to last post isn't after my last OP update post :p

I'm sad you didn't enjoy Clash of Kings more. I thought it was rather great. Especially the last third of it.

A Storm of Swords is absolutely amazing. Easily my favorite in the series thus far.

The last third was the best part of the book. Maybe it has something to do with this being a reverse process for me. Normally I have read the book and then watch the movie or the series. A Game of Thrones was cool and provided some much needed extra info aside from the story shown in the series. A Clash of Kings was a bit different because the world is already better established. On the other hand it managed to stay interesting in playing things out different from the show in some smaller and bigger side stories. In the end, it wasn't as fascinating (especially the Bren parts in the first half) for entire chapters, but I can feel that changing with the first two chapters of Storm of Swords already.
And in the end, I still liked Clash of Kings, even if it fell a bit short in comparison to Game of Thrones.

Empty

sweet. thanks for all the hard work xyla, i'm finding doing this is really good motivatior so fat.

wait edit:

xyla said:
Edit: Wait, which post are you going to update now? Because your second to last post isn't after my last OP update post :p

i updated my very first post one page one, which one should i do?

Great progress. No idea why you aren't counting these as two movies, but it doesn't look like you'll struggle to hit that goal either way.

yeah i only did that because i felt a bit bad as i watched them at the same time as two 70-80 mins films (ocean waves and jiro). i don't expect everyone to do the same.

and yeah i wouldn't have done it if i wasn't easily going to sail past the goal. though not as quickly as some of the people here!

deleted

sweet. thanks for all the hard work xyla, i'm finding doing this is really good motivatior so fat.

wait edit:

i updated my very first post one page one, which one should i do?

yeah i only did that because i felt a bit bad as i watched them at the same time as two 70-80 mins films (ocean waves and jiro). i don't expect everyone to do the same.

and yeah i wouldn't have done it if i wasn't easily going to sail past the goal. though not as quickly as some of the people here!

Update this post until I post a new update to the OP. After that please post a new post with the format and update that until I update the OP again.
My method for updating may not be the most effective but it works for now ;)
I use my last "OP upgraded" post as a landmark in this thread. In the updating process I'll read the thread following that post and update the OP list with the following posts.
So when I didn't update for a month, I'll have to scan through the 20something pages that will have most likely build up in that time.
When I update the OP again I'll make a new "updated the OP" post and I'll repeat the process.

Damn this is harder to get across in English than I imagined :p

Empty

Update this post until I post a new update to the OP. After that please post a new post with the format and update that until I update the OP again.
My method for updating may not be the most effective but it works for now ;)
I use my last "OP upgraded" post as a landmark in this thread. In the updating process I'll read the thread following that post and update the OP list with the following posts.
So when I didn't update for a month, I'll have to scan through the 20something pages that will have most likely build up in that time.
When I update the OP again I'll make a new "updated the OP" post and I'll repeat the process.

Damn this is harder to get across in English than I imagined :p

no it's cool. i understand it now. that makes sense.

UPDATE

TestMonkey - 4/50 Books | 3/50 Movies​

Books
  • The Bride Wore Black Leather by Simon R. Green
  • The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
  • A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

Movies
  • Wing Chun
  • The Warrior's Way
  • Demetri Martin. Person.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
kinoki - 0/50 Books | 23/50 Movies

Books
  • Coming soon! I PROMISE!

Currently reading:
  • The Death and Life of Great American Cities (1961) by Jane Jacobs
  • The God Delusion (2006) by Richard Dawkins
  • The Signal and the Noise (2012) by Nate Silver

Movies
  • Moonrise Kingdom (2012, dir. Wes Anderson) - ★★★★
  • Carnage (2011, dir. Roman Polanski) - ★★★★
  • Secretary (2002, dir. Stephen Shainberg) - ★★★
  • 9 (2009, dir. Shane Acker) - ★★½
  • Four Rooms (1995, dir. Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino, +2) - ★★
  • Paul (2011, dir. Greg Mottola) - ★★★
  • Bottle Rocket (1996, dir. Wes Anderson) - ★★
  • The Butterfly Effect (2004, dir. Eric Bress, J. Mackye Gruber) - ★★★
  • Revolver (2005, dir. Guy Richie) - ★★
  • Impostor (2001, dir. Gary Fleder) - ★★
  • Pinapple Express (2008, dir. David Gordon Green) - ★★★
  • The Terminal (2004, dir. Steven Spielberg) - ★★
  • Rushmore (1998, dir. Wes Anderson) - ★★★
  • Moneyball (2001, dir. Bennett Miller) - ★★★½
  • J. Edgar (2011, dir. Clint Eastwood) - ★★
  • Doubt (2008, dir. John Patrick Shanley) - ★★★★
  • Valkyrie (2008, dir. Bryan Singer) - ★★★
  • Iron Sky (2012, dir. Timo Vuorensola) - ★★★
  • Cloverfield (2008, dir. Matt Reeves) - ★★★
  • Crash (2004, dir. Paul Haggis) - ★★★½
  • The Magnificent Seven (1960, dir. John Sturges) - ★★★½ - While good it didn't impress me like the Seven Samurai did when I first watched it. I love me some old Kurosawa and Fistful of Dollars is one of my favourite movies. The Magnificent Seven seems to suffer from too much ego from the actors to be really good.
  • Stardust (2007, dir. Matthew Vaughn) - ★★★½ - I'm surprised. Matthew Vaughn seems like a director that can bring passion to a project where there seemingly is none. He even succeded in crafting one of the best super-hero movies ever with his X-Men: First Class. Here he just manages to craft a very fine piece of fantasy.
  • Cassandra's Dream (2007, dir. Woody Allen) - ★★★ - Woody really likes to draw these things out. It isn't unbearably frustrating like Match Point but it's not far from at times. In the end it's very down to earth thriller that doesn't play any high stakes.

Bonus: 2/24 TV | 5/24 Video Games

TV
  • True Blood (2012, Season 5) - ★★½
  • Game of Thrones (2012, Season 2) - ★★★★

Currently watching:
  • Star Trek: The Original Series (1966, Season 1)
  • Banshee (2013, Season 1)

Video Games
  • Deadlight (Tequila Works, 2012, PC) - ★★★★
  • Middle Manager of Justice (Double Fine, 2012, iOS) - ★★★★
  • Sleeping Dogs (United Front Games, 2012, PC) - ★★★
  • Spec Ops: The Line (Yager Development, 2012, PC) - ★★★ - If there's one thing "the critics" are right about is that it's not very "fun" to play. It's alot of good but unfortunatly it's not a very good game. But perhaps that's not what it's supposed to be. Does alot right but ultimatly it's just interesting.
  • The Cave (Double Fine, 2013, PC) - ★★★ - A nice mesh of platforming and adventure puzzle. Wasn't as profoundly good platforming like Deadlight but it tickled my need. Can't wait for REDS. Finished it with the Hillbilly, Adventurer and Knight. Next up is Twins, Monk and Time Traveller.

Wiktor

Finished The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya novel. Surprisingly awesome in book format.
AdrianWerner - 3/50 Books | 5/50 Movies

Books
  • Webshows by Krzysztof Gonciarz
  • Sandman Slim: Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya by Nagaru Tanigawa

Movies
  • Bourne Legacy
  • Skyfall
  • Sinister
  • How to Fall in love
  • Dredd

Bonethug

Update

Bonethug - 3/50 Books | 2/50 Movies

Books
01. Mistborn: The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson
02. The Long Ships - Frans G. Bengtsson
03. Gun Machine - Warren Ellis

Movies
01. Underworld: Awakening
02. Men in Black 3

bryan12112 - 1/50 Books | 10/50 Movies

Movies - Rating:

1. Arbitrage (3/5)
2. Bag of Hammers (3/5)
3. The Possession (2/5)
4. Transit (2/5)
5. Margaret (4/5)
6. Win-Win (4/5)
7. High Plains Drifter (4/5)
8. The Long Ride (2/5)
9. The Sitter (2/5)
10. Flight (3/5)

Books - Rating:

1. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet (5/5)

Edit: Updated on February 8th
Edit: Updated on February 14th

Yager

Banned
Another one:

Yager - 1/50 books | 6/50 movies

Code:
Books: The Caves of Steel (Isaac Asimov).

Movies: A Knight in Camelot, Cloud Atlas, Django Unchained, Premium Rush, Into The Wild,
Hitchcock.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
UPDATE!

RichardAM - 2/50 Books | 6/50 Movies

Books
  • The Hobbit (23/01/13) - JRR Tolkien
    The Coma (23/01/13) - Alex Garland
Movies
  • Bronson (01/01/13)
    Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring EE (05/01/13)
    The Adventures of Tintin (10/01/13)
    Star Trek (10/01/13)
    The Amazing Spider-Man (12/03/13)
    Drag me to Hell (15/01/13)

Cookie18

1/50 Books | 6/50 Movies

Movies

The Young Victoria
Brave
Sinister
The Lion King
Croupier
Django Unchained

Books

Bakuman Vol 17

That's the million dollar question. The "official" answer is yes, but it's about using your best judgment. Trade paperback volumes don't work on a one-to-one ratio since you tear through them much faster.

How long did it take you to read through the volumes? I'd go with that over page count, since I can tear through hundreds of comic pages in a fraction of the time it takes to cover the same number of text pages. If they took you the same time it would to read two books, roll with that.
My guess would be about 5 or 6 hours in total, but then again, even for regular books it all becomes way too complicated when you have to consider the number of pages, font sizes and overall size of the page. There's no real way to measure a book when you've got 100 page novels and 1000 page novels out there. And to make it even more complicated: it's an ongoing series so at the end of the year there will be another volume that I'll read. Not to mention all the loose issues of comics I read monthly. I'll see how far I get at the end of the year. I'll try to read "enough" normal books alongside. The total count is something that I can revise later on.

Baconsaurus - 4/50 Books | 11/50 Movies

Books
  • World of the Incredible but True by Charles Berlitz
  • Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky
  • House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
  • Oyasumi Punpun Vol. 1-11 by Asano Inio
  • Franken Fran Vol. 1-4 by Katsuhisa Kigitsu
  • Deadpool #1
  • The Walking Dead #104-106

Movies
  1. Contact
  2. Minority Report
  3. Eden of the East I: The King of Eden
  4. The Cabin in the Woods
  5. Le Scaphandre et la Papillon
  6. The Sky Crawlers
  7. The Dark Knight Rises
  8. The Hurt Locker
  9. Seven Psychopaths
  10. Dredd 3D
  11. Looper

Italics are ongoing series, bolded currently reading.

My guess would be about 5 or 6 hours in total, but then again, even for regular books it all becomes way too complicated when you have to consider the number of pages, font sizes and overall size of the page. There's no real way to measure a book when you've got 100 page novels and 1000 page novels out there.

I looked on the official rules and don't see anything...but at 5-6 hours I'd at least count them as one book (maybe two). This is a self-graded challenge, so just use your best judgment.

Illithid Dude -2/50 books | 19/50 movies

Movies:

Killer Joe
The Frighteners
Primer
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Django Unchained
Leon: The Professional
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Extended Edition
Dazed and Confused
Charade
Dark City
Orpheus
Sunset Boulevard
The Innkeepers
Chungking Express
Mean Streets
Act of Valor
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Books:

Catcher in the Rye
Hot Pink

Tim_South

Neo Member
I enjoyed A Few Seconds of Panic—Fatsis is great on Hang Up and Listen.

Yes, I enjoyed it too...very insightful. An interesting read after the RG3 injury debacle too...the kid never stood a chance with Shanahan as a coach.

Thanks for the podcast recommendation. I'll check it out.

SaltyDoughnut - 2/50 Books | 5/50 Movies | 1/24 TV Seasons | 3/24 Games​

Books:
Now reading: Game of Thrones, Dead Man Walking
-Crime and Punishment [551 pages] - Jan 6th

Movies:

-In Bruges - Jan 24th
-Boogie Nights - Jan 13th
-Zero Dark Thirty - Jan 12th
-Shame - Jan 7th
-Les Misérables - Jan 2nd

TV Seasons:

Now watching: Samurai Champloo, Band of Brothers, Girls s2, Downton Abbey s3
-Girls season 1 - Jan 11th

Games:
Now playing: Walking Dead, OoT 3D, Mutant Mudds, RDR, SMB, Uncharted: GA, GW2, Forza Horizon
-Gunman Clive - Jan 25th
-Sound Shapes - Jan 14th
-Hotline Miami - Jan 11th

Books
1. The Heroes
2. The Dispossessed
3. In the Garden of Beasts

Movies
1. Dredd
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Headhunters
4. Chronicle
5. The Hunger Games

Games
1. Borderlands 2
2. Heavy Rain

Setre

Setre - 2/50 Books | 15/50 Movies

Books:

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Ground Zero (Repairman Jack #13)

Movies:

Total Recall (2012)
Looper
Troll Hunter
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
Dredd
Django Unchained
Zero Dark Thirty
The Crazies (2010)
Fright Night (2011)
Limitless
Primer
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
Dream Home
Taken
Star Trek (2009)

Mumei

Invisible Cities is wonderful and impossible to properly describe. I haven't read much fiction this year, but it is easily my favorite so far.

Books​
  1. Tarzan of the Apes, by Edward Rice Burroughs (271)
  2. Bel Canto: A History of Vocal Pedagogy, by James Stark (258) [529]
  3. The Mark of Athena, by Rick Riordan (586) [1115]
  4. Challenging Casanova, by Andrew Smiler (204) [1319]
  5. Great Singers on Great Singing, by Jerome Hines (358) [1677]
  6. Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin, by Timothy Snyder (417) [2094]
  7. Invisible Cities, by Italo Calvino (165) [2259]
  • Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn (Vol 1), by Grant Morrison
  • The Annotated Hobbit: The Hobbit, or, There And Back Again, by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • To What Miserable Wretches Have I Been Born: Revenge Poetry for Babies and Toddlers, by Suzanne Weber

Movies​
  1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    [*]Aliens
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Extended Edition

Illithid Dude -2/50 books | 20/50 movies

Movies:

Killer Joe
The Frighteners
Primer
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Django Unchained
Leon: The Professional
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Extended Edition
Dazed and Confused
Charade
Dark City
Orpheus
Sunset Boulevard
The Innkeepers
Chungking Express
Mean Streets
Act of Valor
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
The Sweet Smell of Success

Books:

Catcher in the Rye
Hot Pink

Nezumi

Update:

Nezumi Books 3/50 | Movies 5/50​

Books:
  • The novel my husband wrote for NaNoWriMo
  • Before they are hanged - Joe Abercrombie
  • A betrayel in winter - Daniel Abrahams

Movies:
  • Brick
  • Inspector General
  • Indie Game the Movie
  • Ijon Tichy - Raumpilot Season 2
  • Moonrise Kingdom

LuffyZoro

I liked this book a fair amount. It's sci-fi written by Cory Doctrow and Charles Stross about a post-singularity future and a technophobic protagonist.

LuffyZoro - 3/50 Books | 7/50 Movies​

Books
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (A-)
  • Shadow Show (B+)
  • The Rapture of the Nerds (A)

Movies
  • Brave (A-)
  • Bruce Almighty (A)
  • Chronicle (B)
  • Dr. Strangelove (B)
  • Minority Report (B+)
  • Paranorman (A-)
  • American Pop (C+)

Azrael

Books

1. The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett ★★★★
2. The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett ★★★★
3. Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain ★★★
4. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer ★★★★

Movies

1. Rango ★★★
2. Hell is for Heroes ★★★
3. Barton Fink ★★
4. Rope ★★★★
5. How to Train Your Dragon ★★★
6. The Trouble With Harry ★★★★
7. Beasts of the Southern Wild ★★★
8. Thirteen Assassins (2011) ★★
9. The Dhamma Brothers ★★
10. Jack Taylor: The Pikemen ★★
11. Jack Taylor: The Magdalen Martyrs ★★
12. Jack Taylor: The Dramatist ★★
13. Jack Taylor: Priest ★★
14. Sharpe's Eagle ★★
15. The Seventh Seal ★★
16. Zero Dark Thirty ★★★
17. Kill List ★★
18. Harakiri (1963) ★★★★★
19. Death at a Funeral (2007) ★★★

UPDATE

TestMonkey - 4/50 Books | 6/50 Movies​

Books
  • The Bride Wore Black Leather by Simon R. Green
  • The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
  • A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

Movies
  • Wing Chun
  • The Warrior's Way
  • Demetri Martin. Person.
  • Ip Man 2
  • Lisa Lampanelli: Long Live the Queen
  • Superman vs. the Elite

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Do you guys have tricks for reading? I want to start reading more but, goddamn, I miss a couple days and then I lose all interest. :(

Empty

Do you guys have tricks for reading? I want to start reading more but, goddamn, I miss a couple days and then I lose all interest. :(

make an effort to set aside a decent period in your schedule, 15 mins+ where you always read every day. before falling asleep is a very good one but it doesn't have to be, the most important thing is to make it so it's a habit. then it's really easy to build from there as you're always invested in the story and have it in your mind constantly.

also if you have a kindle i find it helpful to always have it with you (you can do this with a regular book but it's harder). waiting for the bus then read, long queue in a store then read, waiting for the kettle to boil for a cup of tea read a page etc

Mumei

Honestly, starting a Goodreads accounting and setting goals was what got me back into reading regularly. I think it also helps to just add lots of books you want to read - the OPs of the "What are you reading?" topics are very helpful for finding ideas - so even if you stop for a few days, you'll be able to find something that piques your interest again.

Guns by Stephen King. ★★★½ -- A balanced look at the gun problem we have in America (my words, not King's). He very concisely examines profiles of the highest profile mass shooters and explains why our broken political system prevents us from fixing the issues at hand. I had never heard of his book, Rage, or knew the story of him voluntarily pulling it from shelves due to the negative influence it had on kids. The argument being that we sometimes need to forfeit our "rights" for the greater good. It's a short Kindle single, and worth a look.

SaltyDoughnut - 2/50 Books | 7/50 Movies | 2/24 TV Seasons | 3/24 Games​

Books:
Now reading: Invisible Man, Hamlet, Game of Thrones, Dead Man Walking
-★★★★½- Crime and Punishment [551 pages] - Jan 6th

Movies:

-★★★- Blue Valentine - Jan 27th
-★★★★½- Django Unchained - Jan 26th
-★★★- In Bruges - Jan 24th
-★★★- Boogie Nights - Jan 13th
-★★★½- Zero Dark Thirty - Jan 12th
-★★★★- Shame - Jan 7th
-★★★½- Les Misérables - Jan 2nd

TV Seasons:

Now watching: Samurai Champloo, Band of Brothers, House of Cards s1, Girls s2, Downton Abbey s3
-★★½- Anohana - Jan 26th
-★★★½- Girls season 1 - Jan 11th

Games:
Now playing: Ni no Kuni, Uncharted: GA, Walking Dead, Forza Horizon, GW2
-★★½- Gunman Clive - Jan 25th
-★★★★- Sound Shapes - Jan 14th
-★★★★- Hotline Miami - Jan 11th

SlowRevolution - 5/50 books | 10/50 movies

Books
  • The Price of Politics
  • Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee
  • The New Jim Crow
  • American Gods
  • America Again: Re-becoming The Greatness We Never Weren't

Movies
  • Looper
  • John Dies At The End
  • Arbitrage
  • Zero Dark Thirty
  • What To Expect When You're Expecting
  • The Way
  • Craigslist Joe
  • Jackie Brown
  • Following
  • Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Even worse than the first one.

The Goodreads site seems great, checking it out now. It's a pain trying to find new stuff, especially when you don't have enough money to be able to afford getting something you're not sure about. That site + the "what are you reading" threads should be really helpful.

Top Bottom