• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

I'm gonna be selling my Audiotechnica ATH-M50's so I can upgrade. They've only been on my head twice and in great condition with box and everything. Special deal for GAF, $100 shipped if anyone's interested.

Max

I am not Max

FoxSpirit

Deadly Cyclone said:
What would you all suggest for the best earbuds under $100? I use them at work all the time for podcasts/music.
Sorry for the late reply. My personal fave would be the BLOX M2C at the moment. The really get me going. From other people's suggestions comes the Yuin Pk2. That one I'll have to try at a later point :)
Depending on where you are (if you can get a good deal), the AKG 319 is alst a hot tip, especially for extremely long term comfort.

Max

I am not Max
Would anyone recommend a cMoyBB for use with Sennheister HD558's connected to a PC without a soundcard?

I'm gearing up for BF3 but I can't find a sound card for anything cheaper than $100 so I was wondering if a portable amp would suffice or even work for gaming

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
AwesomeSauce said:
it helps out in games.
I see this said a lot, but with little reason.

If it's a directionality thing, decent headphones give more than enough of that as is.

FoxSpirit

K.Jack said:
I see this said a lot, but with little reason.

If it's a directionality thing, decent headphones give more than enough of that as is.
They don't hand out forward and backward spacial information, only left and right.

Tenks

My GF wants some earbuds for Christmas. She had the apple buds on her Amazon wish list but I told her those are basically a scam for $65. Should I just tell her to get the Yuin ones recommended in the thread?

LCfiner

the apple dual driver earphones (the ones that sell for around 70 or 80 or so and stick further into your ear) are actually quite good. bass light but very detailed. I prefer them over the 30 dollar yuin PK3 (and the 30 dollar plain apple earbuds, of course).

Malvolio

The Big Rig said:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DP1FTU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Just bought some Shure SRH440 for $55. Mistake? It seems to have very good reviews for the price range.

For the price I'm sure you will love them. Shure makes rock solid equipment. Their cans seem to accentuate the mids and highs more than the low end, so if you listen to a lot of bass heavy music you might find them lacking. They are also a bit large so they really aren't ideal for public use, but overall they are great closed cans and will last you a long time. If you can get a hold of the ear pads for the 840's for a good price I would recommend it. They are a bit more comfortable during extended use.

Gonna play BF3 on the PC and I'm looking for a set of headphones that are of reasonable quality at an affordable price (under $100). Any suggestions? And what about clip-on/desktop mics?

Tenks said:
My GF wants some earbuds for Christmas. She had the apple buds on her Amazon wish list but I told her those are basically a scam for $65. Should I just tell her to get the Yuin ones recommended in the thread?
I'd personally swing for a pair of Blox M2C. Probably the best bang for the buck buds. $47 shipped from Blox's site. Read some reviews at headfi for sound impressions. Just be wary of the burn-in claims though, I have no experience with the matter but apparently they aren't great out of the box but mature a lot with use.

Tabris

I can't seem to find a good answer anywhere for this so I'm hoping you guys can help me. I'm looking for headphones or earphones or neckbands that have the following qualities:

- Look Stylish
- Decent mids and highs
- Won't mess up spikey hair
- Have iphone/ipod controls on the cable with a mic (this is an important one for Siri)

If you guys can help me with a suggestion, it would be much appreciated! Only thing close I could find is Beats Solo HD (love white colour) but their build quality is apparently horrible so won't be getting those. Price isn't a factor.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
lazybones18 said:
Gonna play BF3 on the PC and I'm looking for a set of headphones that are of reasonable quality at an affordable price (under $100). Any suggestions? And what about clip-on/desktop mics?
Ad 700

Perfect timing on this thread being on the front page, as I'm in the market for a new set of headphones, but I'm not sure which direction to go. I essentially am looking for something that are great for travel. Lightweight, folding, very comfortable to wear for extended periods, and great sound of course. I'd actually prefer they not be noise canceling as I think a good pair of cans can provide nice isolation on their own.

Any recommendations? The biggest thing that I'm struggling with is the comfort, as I only have a limited number of pairs available locally to test out, and I'm looking at all the options on Amazon, but can't tell how comfortable they'll be on. For reference, I think the Bose Triport/AE2 are very comfortable.

leng jai

Tabris said:
I can't seem to find a good answer anywhere for this so I'm hoping you guys can help me. I'm looking for headphones or earphones or neckbands that have the following qualities:

- Look Stylish
- Decent mids and highs
- Won't mess up spikey hair
- Have iphone/ipod controls on the cable with a mic (this is an important one for Siri)

If you guys can help me with a suggestion, it would be much appreciated! Only thing close I could find is Beats Solo HD (love white colour) but their build quality is apparently horrible so won't be getting those. Price isn't a factor.

Any headphones with a headband will mess up your hair.

Nassimoluc

Neo Member
Looking for Walkman type headphones under $100. I have been looking at the AIAIAI Tracks, but I am not really sure if they actually have good sound quality from reviews. I need comfortable, lightweight, and a decent sound quality because I wear them for long periods. I have the PortaPro's but they hurt my ears. Any suggestions?

Chorazin

Needed some new over ear headphones with isolation to wear at work, so after a night of reading I have a Fiio E11 and Audio-Technica M50S combo on the way from Amazon!

I figured I best get an amp since I use my EVO 3D for music, and i doubt it'd do the M50's justice.

Got a Q though, when using the amp, what volume level should I set my EVO 3D to? Low, high, mid? Amps are new to me!

Ashhong

Turned up the bass booster in poweramp on my Android phone and that coupled with 2+ bass boost on my E11 has FINALLY given me enough bass in my M50 for me to be satisfied :)

Chorazin

Ashhong said:
Turned up the bass booster in poweramp on my Android phone and that coupled with 2+ bass boost on my E11 has FINALLY given me enough bass in my M50 for me to be satisfied :)
If you're using PowerAMP 1.4, make SURE you turn off Tone in the EQ, it drops the volume down a ton with it on. I hit it out of curiosity once since I started going with Flat EQ and it was like night and day.

Oli

Dear Gaf, Already made a thread for this with a link to this thread, so I'll ask here.

My pair of 149.99 Bose Headphones (whatever model that is) just broke and I'd like to replace them. Now I didn't choose Bose to begin with, they were given to me. But I'd like something in a similar price range (100-200) and with a comparable sound quality, hopefully better.

What should I be looking at with those qualifications?

talkinghead

Neo Member
Oli said:
Dear Gaf, Already made a thread for this with a link to this thread, so I'll ask here.

My pair of 149.99 Bose Headphones (whatever model that is) just broke and I'd like to replace them. Now I didn't choose Bose to begin with, they were given to me. But I'd like something in a similar price range (100-200) and with a comparable sound quality, hopefully better.

What should I be looking at with those qualifications?

Basically from what i've heard bose are horribly overpriced, so you should be able to get similar or better sound for a lower price. Would be good if you at least mentioned though what kind of headphones they are, like on-ear, over-ear etc.

Oli

talkinghead said:
Basically from what i've heard bose are horribly overpriced, so you should be able to get similar or better sound for a lower price. Would be good if you at least mentioned though what kind of headphones they are, like on-ear, over-ear etc.

Over ear.

Are these any good?

Bearded Dudebro said:
I'm gonna be selling my Audiotechnica ATH-M50's so I can upgrade. They've only been on my head twice and in great condition with box and everything. Special deal for GAF, $100 shipped if anyone's interested.

Ok. sold my M50's. Now I'm looking for a good Gaming Headset for the PC. I've been looking at the SteelSeries Siberia V2. They look good, are over ear, fake leather pads, mic can be hidden.

Looking for something that can be used with 3.5mm jack. Something with a mic. Not USB if possible.
Anyone have any suggestions no more than $100?

Oli

Bearded Dudebro said:
Ok. sold my M50's. Now I'm looking for a good Gaming Headset for the PC. I've been looking at the SteelSeries Siberia V2. They look good, are over ear, fake leather pads, mic can be hidden.

Looking for something that can be used with 3.5mm jack. Something with a mic. Not USB if possible.
Anyone have any suggestions no more than $100?

Can I ask why you sold the M50's? I was thinking about buying them.

omgkitty

I am in the market for some good IE headphones with a mic, so I decided to check out head-fi.org, only to find some of the most pretentious bullshit I've ever seen. They basically bitch about and shit on just about every set of headphones on the site. Definitely not asking for advice there.

I bought some TMA-1's about 6 months ago and I love them, but I need some IE phones for when the TMA's aren't practical. I also need a mic. I was looking at some stuff like the aiaiai Swirl or possibly the new Bowers & Wilkins C5's. I really like the overall feel of the aiaiai's, with their solid construction and great, warm sound, and would like something close to them as far as the build and sound go. That's why I was looking at the Swirl's. I am looking to spend under $200, with about $180 being the limit (the price of the B&W's). Any advice?

Ashhong

Chorazin said:
If you're using PowerAMP 1.4, make SURE you turn off Tone in the EQ, it drops the volume down a ton with it on. I hit it out of curiosity once since I started going with Flat EQ and it was like night and day.

No wonder the volume in Poweramp is lower than the Music player. I increased the preamp to compensate. Cheers!

PS. you should download the 2.0 beta. Looks so good

Chorazin

Ashhong said:
No wonder the volume in Poweramp is lower than the Music player. I increased the preamp to compensate. Cheers!

PS. you should download the 2.0 beta. Looks so good
I'm running 2.0 beta 3 now, absolutely love it. I have my preamp up to the mid level, with EQ, TONE, and LIMIT off, and it makes these Bose I'm borrowing actually sound pretty good.

Can't wait to get my E11 and M50S tomorrow!

FoxSpirit

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
I'd personally swing for a pair of Blox M2C. Probably the best bang for the buck buds. $47 shipped from Blox's site. Read some reviews at headfi for sound impressions. Just be wary of the burn-in claims though, I have no experience with the matter but apparently they aren't great out of the box but mature a lot with use.

Holy shit, finally single shipping. I should get a spare pair at one point just in case my promo-pair breaks. Such awesome sounding buds.
Really reveal the chain in front of them.

Top Bottom