• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Sinthetic

I got my first pair of cans the other day. I'm still not used to saying cans haha.

They are the Sennheiser 201HD Closed backs and they are (IMO) amazing. I'm not a sound buff or anything, but compared to never having used anything but earphones, this is a revelation.

They may only be £13, but they are one of the very highest rated pairs on Amazon. Highly recommended.

Davidion

Sinthetic said:
I got my first pair of cans the other day. I'm still not used to saying cans haha.

They are the Sennheiser 201HD Closed backs and they are (IMO) amazing. I'm not a sound buff or anything, but compared to never having used anything but earphones, this is a revelation.

They may only be £13, but they are one of the very highest rated pairs on Amazon. Highly recommended.

Pssssst, come over here buddy, we have some things to show you...

Sinthetic

Davidion said:
Pssssst, come over here buddy, we have some things to show you...

I'm an absolute noob and very easily swayed. I'm all ears (pun very much intended).

I was looking at this ATH M50 Audio-Technica pair, but I am not sure just how much better they will sound than this cheap pair I have now. ;|

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Greetings,

Looking for some recommendations. I want to get a nice pair of headphones, primarily for TV/movies and gaming. If they're good for music that'd be a bonus, as would a long cable. I've got roughly $100 to spend (LOL riffraff and all that) +/- 20 bucks or so let's say. I'm looking for the best headphones I can get for this price.

Comfort is important but I'd sacrifice that for better quality as long as they don't feel horrible on the head. I don't have an amp or anything crazy so something with a normal headphone jack, not needing external power, or a cheap solution to that problem would be necessary.

Any advice?

So, I know this is the expensive headphone thread, but I came in here once asking for advice and I didn't get anything useful (I wanted small, pocketable, travel headphones and was recommended to buy some giant cams that were bright orange...). Anyway, I just bought this recently:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040Z1EHY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They are cheap. They fold. They are wireless. They have great range (30 feet). The batteries last nearly all day. They are also very light and comfortable to wear.

The microphone (if you use it as a headset) is alright, and the sound quality is not amazing. Also, there's a lot of escaping audio since these don't fully cover your ears or act as in-ear headphones.

But, if anyone wants a set of bluetooth headphones that are foldable and pocketable with a huge lasting battery, these are great.

I only wish I could find something just like them that were nicer quality. My searching on Amazon didn't turn up much.

Haint

Hey guys, I'm looking for a pair of mid range IEM's for Vita, 3DS, occasional phone/tablet media, and very rare night use through an AVR. Considering the RE-Zero, DBA-02, or GR07, but I'm concerned the latter two might not be ideal given their impedance and presumed power thirst. Not too interested in lugging around any more devices, so an amp isn't in the cards. Anyone have experience with these? Do the DBA and GR's struggle with unamped portable use? Are they noticeably worth the price premium over the ZERO? Also considering holding out for Sony's upcoming XBA-1 or 2's to see how they perform.

Alucrid

Banned
brianmcdoogle said:
So, I know this is the expensive headphone thread, but I came in here once asking for advice and I didn't get anything useful (I wanted small, pocketable, travel headphones and was recommended to buy some giant cams that were bright orange...). Anyway, I just bought this recently:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040Z1EHY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They are cheap. They fold. They are wireless. They have great range (30 feet). The batteries last nearly all day. They are also very light and comfortable to wear.

The microphone (if you use it as a headset) is alright, and the sound quality is not amazing. Also, there's a lot of escaping audio since these don't fully cover your ears or act as in-ear headphones.

But, if anyone wants a set of bluetooth headphones that are foldable and pocketable with a huge lasting battery, these are great.

I only wish I could find something just like them that were nicer quality. My searching on Amazon didn't turn up much.

Probably because what you want none of us care about?

Senn HD 600s are one of the Deals of the Day on Amazon tomorrow. Starts at 6am Pacific time. Doubt it'll be a huge price drop, and I don't know how good those cans are considered now, but thought I'd make a post if anyone's interested in at least checking it out.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Reallink said:
Hey guys, I'm looking for a pair of mid range IEM's for Vita, 3DS, occasional phone/tablet media, and very rare night use through an AVR. Considering the RE-Zero, DBA-02, or GR07, but I'm concerned the latter two might not be ideal given their impedance and presumed power thirst. Not too interested in lugging around any more devices, so an amp isn't in the cards. Anyone have experience with these? Do the DBA and GR's struggle with unamped portable use? Are they noticeably worth the price premium over the ZERO? Also considering holding out for Sony's upcoming XBA-1 or 2's to see how they perform.
My new RE-ZEROs ended up coming in yesterday. After having not used them for at least six months, my goodness I forgot how freaking amazing they sound. The clarity is just outstanding, and they reach way above their price, as far as sound quality.

They do not have a booming low end though. That's their only criticism, but it doesn't bother me even though I listen to Hip- Hop 80% of the time. That's something to jeep in mind, if you're using them unamped.

If you're looking to spend $100+ on IEMs, you should at least consider the FiiO E6. I'm just not sure you'll get the most out of the price range directly from the source.

FoxSpirit

dr3upmushroom said:
Senn HD 600s are one of the Deals of the Day on Amazon tomorrow. Starts at 6am Pacific time. Doubt it'll be a huge price drop, and I don't know how good those cans are considered now, but thought I'd make a post if anyone's interested in at least checking it out.
They are still considered very good and for very good reasons. Will be interesting to see the offer, eventhough I'm from Europe.

FoxSpirit said:
They are still considered very good and for very good reasons. Will be interesting to see the offer, eventhough I'm from Europe.
They do sound good. Depending on the price...nope, they didn't do anything better than my D7000s. If the 650's were on sale, I'd buy them again, though. They're just spectacular with live instruments in recordings. spec-tac-u-lar.

1stStrike

Banned
I just picked up an ear force x12 today for my gaming/voice chat needs. I gotta say, it's a pretty nice headset for just over $50. Sounds pretty good, lets you boost either the game sounds or the actual voice chat (this way you can hear people talking over your the game and such), and crank up the bass a bit if you want.

The mic sounds really good too.

I listened to some music on it, and it doesn't sound bad at all. It can't compare to my D7000's, but for general use, gaming, etc. - definitely a really nice and solid headset. Doesn't feel cheap or like it's about to break at all like some of the others out there.

Reallink said:
Out of those options, I'd definitely give the GR07 a look. The DBA-02 and Re-Zero can be polarizing options if you're not into neutral, analytical phones. They won't have a lot of mid/low end heft, they'll reach pretty low, but they'll be very light in terms of impact. Some people would categorize this sort of sound as "boring" if they are used to phones that focus more on mids/bass. Further, the build quality of the DBA-02 is absolute dog boners, so you'll be constantly paranoid of trashing thing even when you're coddling them all the time.

The GR-07 is reputed to have excellent mids, great highs and lows, and perform far outside of their price bracket, they'll go toe to toe with UE TF10's, Monster Pro Gold/Miles Davis, Senn IE8, Westone UMX3, etc. and not break a sweat. These and the Sony Ex600 are among the absolute best bang for the buck phones going now.

Gvaz

Banned
I think it was more implied that you could buy any of the cheap models you found and they'd all probably be about the same, it's when you're wanting to pay more you get the higher end products.

Which this thread is generally for discussing those in the $100+ range though some in the lower range.

Regardless there's no reason why you can't ask here. I don't have an answer to your question however, sorry.

brianmcdoogle said:
Since a junior can't create threads, where should I have asked a headphone question other than the official headphone thread?
Any guy with a Guybrush avatar is A-okay with me. And don't mind Alucrid, he's cranky and hasn't had his juice lol. You're in the right place. What was your question?

Alucrid

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Any guy with a Guybrush avatar is A-okay with me. And don't mind Alucrid, he's cranky and hasn't had his juice lol. You're in the right place. What was your question?

I've so had my juice. That's why I'm cranky. PUMPING IRON BRAH.

Alucrid said:
I've so had my juice. That's why I'm cranky. PUMPING IRON BRAH.
Docpan already came in the thread brah

Gvaz- we constantly pimp out cheap and affordable options. Hell HiResDes who created the thread dabbles in affordable options himself and is constantly helping out people with cheaper phones, it's cause we've answered the same question a thousand times and usually refer to the OP, which is often ignored.

Alucrid

Banned
Docpan already came in the thread brah

Gvaz- we constantly pimp out cheap and affordable options. Hell HiResDes who created the thread dabbles in affordable options himself and is constantly helping out people with cheaper phones, it's cause we've answered the same question a thousand times and usually defer to the OP, which is often ignored.

Did he get the beats?

But he wanted wireless blu tooth headphones, so yeah.

Alucrid

Banned
I dunno. Blutooth is not my speciality. If anything, I'm always trying to sway people away from Blutooth lol

Lol yeah, that's why I (admittedly somewhat rudely) said that if his question got ignored it's because we don't know ourselves, since we don't really delve into that side of things.

Gvaz

Banned
There are a severe lack of OT threads for topics on NG.

No music threads, no app/program threads, no general discussion threads on subjects like Sony or Nintendo.... for shame

Alucrid

Banned
Gvaz said:
There are a severe lack of OT threads for topics on NG.

No music threads, no app/program threads, no general discussion threads on subjects like Sony or Nintendo.... for shame

erm...neogaf has most of those type of threads brah.

Alucrid

Banned
Gvaz said:
I can never find them :(

Also I don't mean flavor of the minute threads, but megathreads. I love megathreads.

Gaf cut down on the presence of megathreads for a reason, but you can still find semi-large ones like this.

Gvaz

Banned
Sorry for the derail but why? It bugs the shit out of me when information isn't contained to related threads, cause I'll follow the megathreads but rarely venture outside

I bought a pair of headphones for my boyfriend: Numark PHX USB: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038YX39K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

He doesn't like them because the pads are too shallow, and the speaker is pressing against his ear, which is pressing against his head. Are there some good alternatives (or hell, less shallow replacement pads) in a similar price range (sub-$80)?

Edit: They don't have to be USB or anything, those are just the ones we decided to try. Portability was also a consideration.

Haint

Out of those options, I'd definitely give the GR07 a look. The DBA-02 and Re-Zero can be polarizing options if you're not into neutral, analytical phones. They won't have a lot of mid/low end heft, they'll reach pretty low, but they'll be very light in terms of impact. Some people would categorize this sort of sound as "boring" if they are used to phones that focus more on mids/bass. Further, the build quality of the DBA-02 is absolute dog boners, so you'll be constantly paranoid of trashing thing even when you're coddling them all the time.

The GR-07 is reputed to have excellent mids, great highs and lows, and perform far outside of their price bracket, they'll go toe to toe with UE TF10's, Monster Pro Gold/Miles Davis, Senn IE8, Westone UMX3, etc. and not break a sweat. These and the Sony Ex600 are among the absolute best bang for the buck phones going now.

What are the odds that the XBA's will be worth waiting for? I had overlooked the EX600's, it looks like those are probably the best balance (in imp and sen) between the ones I was considering. Thanks for the heads up.

Glassboy

Hey everybody! I am in the market for some headphones. My Pioneer SE-DIR800C Wireless headphones are on their way out and I am looking for something that I will be using for gaming and listening to music. My price range is flexible, I am willing to go up to $500. What should I be looking at? Thanks!

For some reason my iPod earbuds have starting to not fit in my ears the last month or so. I'll shove them in, then about a minute later they will start to fall out. Such a weird problem I've never had before.

Anyway, I'm looking for new headphones, ones that go over your ear and not inside. I don't want them to be crazy bulky and looking to spend under $100 (under $60 would be great). Any options? I know this is out of the question probably, but are there any headphones like this that have the mic on the cord so I can also use for phone calls?

Thanks GAF!

Expendable. said:
For some reason my iPod earbuds have starting to not fit in my ears the last month or so. I'll shove them in, then about a minute later they will start to fall out. Such a weird problem I've never had before.

Anyway, I'm looking for new headphones, ones that go over your ear and not inside. I don't want them to be crazy bulky and looking to spend under $100 (under $60 would be great). Any options? I know this is out of the question probably, but are there any headphones like this that have the mic on the cord so I can also use for phone calls?

Thanks GAF!
I'm far from the most knowledgable in this thread, but a friend has the Grado SR-60s and loves them for the price point ($80).

Expendable. said:

Thanks GAF!
check out the opening post. it's made just for your needs.

Dreams-Visions said:
check out the opening post. it's made just for your needs.

Ah, thanks! It is complete info overload in the OP. Was seeing if there were any specific recs.

Syracuse022 said:
I'm far from the most knowledgable in this thread, but a friend has the Grado SR-60s and loves them for the price point ($80).

Thanks, these actually look quite perfect.

LCfiner

I looove the SR60. low priced Grados are a good price/performance bang for your buck.

just remember to bend the headband or you will likely find them uncomfortable.

LCfiner said:
I looove the SR60. low priced Grados are a good price/performance bang for your buck.

just remember to bend the headband or you will likely find them uncomfortable.
Grados are universally bass-light though, right?

Is that okay for you, Expendable?

Kyaw

Are there Grados with relatively higher bass than AD700s and have comfy pads that cover your ear? (Well, there are, but which ones!?)

LCfiner

Dreams-Visions said:

yeah, pretty much. it's all about the mids, highs and that small, aggressive sounding soundstage.

HF2 have solid bass but are hard to find. PS1K bass is very nice but is monstrously expensive.

Dreams-Visions said:

Yeah, that is fine. I mostly listen to podcasts at work, with just occasional music. Then at home, I mostly use my laptop for TV shows and I don't care about bass then.

And, this is an embarrassing question but I've had the worst luck with headphones always breaking so I always just stick with iPod earbuds. These SR60's are a massive step above that, right?

edit: sound quality-wise, I mean.

LCfiner

The SR60 don't look super solid and hi tech but they are tough to break. very simple construction. you see models from the 90s still looking OK today.

note that the grado headphones are open so sound will leak out.

Reallink said:
What are the odds that the XBA's will be worth waiting for? I had overlooked the EX600's, it looks like those are probably the best balance (in imp and sen) between the ones I was considering. Thanks for the heads up.
Sony has primarily dabbled in dynamic transducer technology, so I'm not sure how successful they will be transitioning into balanced armatures. They are VERY interesting looking though (especially the XBA 3 and 4, which jumps straight into SM3/W4 territory, but at what price? I can only assume a very high one if the Ex1000 is anything to go by). At this point the sure bet is the Sony Ex600 which offers probably 85 percent of the performance of the Ex1000 for a third of the price. I'd play the waiting game though, and see how the XBA2 fares, since that will likely be in the $150-200 range while the XBA3/4 will likely be $300-600. Anyhow, FML, I am weak as all hell when it comes to upgraditis, so if the XBA3/4 trump the SM3's... :l

Daniel Plainview - I'd honestly scrounge the extra change for the SR80i. You're gonna get better bass extension and better treble, just an overall richer sound for a difference of like 25 bucks. It's worth the investment to me.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Got my FiiO E10 in today.

Amazing. It grabs the RE-ZERO and takes it to a level I didn't imagine.

1stStrike

Banned
Izayoi said:
There should be. Best program.

There's been some attempts in the past that have all failed horribly. Granted, nobody has made a "real" foobar thread with legitimate information so it probably hasn't gotten much attention as a result. See past failures:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355336
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411497
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395491

It's tempting. I might give it a whirl if no on else wants to do it, as I've been using Foobar for years.

Edit:

Here you go: Foobar 2000 OT

MrPliskin

Banned
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask for help, but I think you guys know your shit. I recently purchased an astro a 40 headset and mix amp for my ps3, but the mixamp produces a buzzing sound. It is connected to my ps3 via optical for audio, and USB for mic. If I tough any of the RCA or coax inputs (or battery terminals) the buzzing goes away. Does anyone have any home remedies to fix this? I think it's a low level electrical humm...but I also have no idea what I'm talking about, lol. Thanks in advance!

thatbox

Banned
Expendable. said:
Yeah, that is fine. I mostly listen to podcasts at work, with just occasional music. Then at home, I mostly use my laptop for TV shows and I don't care about bass then.

And, this is an embarrassing question but I've had the worst luck with headphones always breaking so I always just stick with iPod earbuds. These SR60's are a massive step above that, right?

edit: sound quality-wise, I mean.
If you're still checking this thread I want to toss my support behind this recommendation. SR60s were my first step into good headphones, and I'm still using the same pair today. And the bass is fine, don't worry. These 'phones are fairly tight and have a wide soundstage, which just means that bass doesn't warmly rumble bigger and bigger until it's right in your ears. They're more than capable of providing satisfying booms and baps. And yes, these are a huge step above iPod earbuds - if you've never tried out good headphones before, you will say wow.

Top Bottom