• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

thirty

Banned
JVC HARX700 are on sale for $33 at amazon right now. great deal on great sounding headphones. extremely well rated and highly modifiable. search "JVC HARX700 mod" and you'll find tons of easy mods to make these headphones really shine.

41B2GeNmO0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just got my Sennheiser 598s in. Question for you guys though, I have a sound card in my PC that my M Audio AV 40 speakers are connected to. I always plugged my old 458 cans into the speakers, would it be better to plug my new headphones into the sound card itself? Or would the difference be small?

f0rk

My Sennheiser CX300s just broke, looking for a replacement. In ears to use with a Nexus S. I have about £65 of Amazon vouchers coming but I guess I could go a bit higher. Was looking at these. Also saw the B&W C5s, would stretching a bit for the £150 be worth it?

Raelson

Just bought a pair of Fischer Audio Eterna v1 after hearing that they're probably the best in that price range.
But, as with all headphones that are reasonably priced and actually worth a damn, pretty much no one sells them. Had to buy trough a site called Frogbeats which I couldn't find any info about.
Looks to be a new start-up by a couple of audio enthusiasts. Seems reliable enough. : )

Just bought a pair of Fischer Audio Eterna v1 after hearing that they're probably the best in that price range.
But, as with all headphones that are reasonably priced and actually worth a damn, pretty much no one sells them. Had to buy trough a site called Frogbeats which I couldn't find any info about.
Looks to be a new start-up by a couple of audio enthusiasts. Seems reliable enough. : )

Frogbeats should be fine, get mentioned on headfi all the time.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
My Sennheiser CX300s just broke, looking for a replacement. In ears to use with a Nexus S. I have about £65 of Amazon vouchers coming but I guess I could go a bit higher. Was looking at these. Also saw the B&W C5s, would stretching a bit for the £150 be worth it?

Take the Beyer. The C5 is known to be not worth the price tag, and sounds worse than the Beyer.

As I've just got a new PC I'm looking for some good headphones to go with it so I'm hoping someone will be able to help.

My budget is £200 maximum - but I'd rather spend less if possible - and they'll be used for a mixture of music and gaming. Going by Amazon I can see AKG K701s and Sennheiser 598s sitting on the top of my budget, but as I've never had anything better than some awful cheap Sennheiser HD201s I have no idea what to go for.

What I'm looking at primarily is comfort, something soft on the ears that won't get really warm after a few minutes. As for open or closed back, I have no idea, the 201s I have are supposedly closed but they leak practically everything regardless.

FoxSpirit

So I'm getting out of the headphone game and am selling my WA6 w/ Sophia Princess as well as my HD650s, so before I toss this up on head fi or another site I thought I'd see if anyone here was interested. Neither are really heavily used as I found that I prefer speakers.

Thinking $630 for the amp, Sophia, the two 6DR7 tubes and the three original tubes. (No power cord or any other connects since it never came with em)

And $300 for the HD650s.

Both are + shipping and will come with their original boxes.

Getting into speakers?

IceCold

I have the ath-m50 and I'm very happy with them. However, my thinkpad doesn't have a very good sound card so the max volume on it is not very high. I mentioned this in the speakers thread, but my pro media 2.1 have a problem where sound comes out of them even if I plug my head phones so I can't use them to increase the volume.

So now, I'm thinking of getting a cheap amp to remedy the problem. I'm looking into maybe getting the cMoyBB amp right now. Are they worth the price and will I get good results with them?

omgkitty

I have the ath-m50 and I'm very happy with them. However, my thinkpad doesn't have a very good sound card so the max volume on it is not very high. I mentioned this in the speakers thread, but my pro media 2.1 have a problem where sound comes out of them even if I plug my head phones so I can't use them to increase the volume.

So now, I'm thinking of getting a cheap amp to remedy the problem. I'm looking into maybe getting the cMoyBB amp right now. Are they worth the price and will I get good results with them?

I don't know a whole lot about amps, but I think this should sum it up nicely for you. Comes highly recommended.

HiResDes

Go with a DAC/Amp combo, the FiiO E10 would be perfect.

JVC HARX700 are on sale for $33 at amazon right now. great deal on great sounding headphones. extremely well rated and highly modifiable. search "JVC HARX700 mod" and you'll find tons of easy mods to make these headphones really shine.

I got these a few months back. They werent kidding when they said it's HUGE. nice headphones tho.

HiResDes

Hey here's my detailed synopsis of it's soundscape if you're interested, take in mind that I wrote that review before being blown away by the Radius DDMs.

HiResDes

Ok, so I'm about to dive into this thread. I've been looking for some headphones to work out in, tired of the earbuds. I've been looking at these Audio-Technica ATH-M30 Professional Headphones for a few days. Thoughts? suggestions. Nothing expensive.

Maybe just something like the Koss KSC75's would be better, as those M30s are going to get relatively hot. If you're really set on getting over-the-ear cans, check out something lightweight like the Meelctronics HT-21 or the Sennheiser PX100s.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ok, so I'm about to dive into this thread. I've been looking for some headphones to work out in, tired of the earbuds. I've been looking at these Audio-Technica ATH-M30 Professional Headphones for a few days. Thoughts? suggestions. Nothing expensive.

Get the Koss. They aren't amazing headphones, but they have decent drivers in them considering they are sub $20. Plus you won't feel bad working out in them since they are cheap.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

You need a DAC. Amping a shitty soundcard isn't going to give you the optimal sound you're seeking.

Go for the FiiO E10.

HiResDes

Thanks. I'm thinking about picking up a pair for home and some on the go use. Are they too high end that if they were plugged into an iPhone that I'd notice poor sound quality?

Honestly though they are good, they are a bit overpriced at the moment. I'd recommend the KNS 6400's or Superlux 662's more, especially considering they're half the price.

shira

I'd like to thank NeoGAF for advising me to pick up ATH M50s. They're my best purchase soundwise in quite a while...
Well that's how we suck you in.

Try a $+100 headphone for a day and you will be like the M50 sucks

Try a $+100 headphone for a day and you will be like the X sucks

Try a $+100 headphone for a day and you will be like the Y sucks

rinse repeat till you go deaf, broke or you can't tell the difference

FoxSpirit

Well, for $200 you can get Grado SR225i which in some way is enough for even discerning listeners, more is already luxury.
Too bad they become $400 headphones if you wanna buy them in Europe.

LCfiner

Well, for $200 you can get Grado SR225i which in some way is enough for even discerning listeners, more is already luxury.
Too bad they become $400 headphones if you wanna buy them in Europe.

yeah that does suck but anyone outside the states considering a Grado should seriously think about getting the Alessandro model instead.

For anyone who doesn’t know, there’s the MS1,2 and pro (essentially, SR125, SR325 and RS1) but with slightly more neutral voicing.

international sales at USD pricing and affordable shipping.

Arken2121

Just came from posting in one of the ancient threads. I just got my first Android and am currently looking for some in ear buds. Any recommendations?

1stStrike

Banned
Just came from posting in one of the ancient threads. I just got my first Android and am currently looking for some in ear buds. Any recommendations?

What's your budget? If you've got the bones you can always go for these.

I use 'em with my zune and they're quite good.

I don't think most people in this thread are willing to spend what I spend on headphones/earbuds, though.

Arken2121

What's your budget? If you've got the bones you can always go for these.

I use 'em with my zune and they're quite good.

I don't think most people in this thread are willing to spend what I spend on headphones/earbuds, though.

Well, i'd mainly be using it for music and movies on the droid so i'll probably spring upwards of $50, maybe a little more if it's worth it.

IceCold

Go with a DAC/Amp combo, the FiiO E10 would be perfect.

Cool. I guess I'll pick these up then. Will they also improve the sound of my pro media? I'm thinking of plugging the Fiio E10 to my speakers and connect my head phones to it if I want to use them. Would that allow me to use my head phones without having the sound come up of my speakers too?

Krujo

Banned
I currently have a Sennheiser HD 595. I'm thinking about buying some new headphones my budget is no more then 550 dollars. or should I just keep my 595 and buy a decent amp? I mainly use my headphones for games and music on my pc.

LordCanti

Head Fi should rename their b/s/t forums to Low Ball. :|

650's right? What's the lowest someone has offered you? When last I was in the market, 650's retained their value pretty well. Then again, the 800's came out, so the 650's aren't "top tier" any more. God knows HF hates anything that isn't "top tier".

All things considered, I've probably broken even buying and selling on HF. The trick is to...well...buy low, which is where your current predicament is coming from lol.

I'm going to get a pair of TF10's reshelled, sell my K701's, and probably just be content with the customs for a few years.

Alucrid

Banned
650's right? What's the lowest someone has offered you? When last I was in the market, 650's retained their value pretty well. Then again, the 800's came out, so the 650's aren't "top tier" any more. God knows HF hates anything that isn't "top tier".

All things considered, I've probably broken even buying and selling on HF. The trick is to...well...buy low, which is where your current predicament is coming from lol.

I'm going to get a pair of TF10's reshelled, sell my K701's, and probably just be content with the customs for a few years.

Nah, I was able to sell off the 650s for what I wanted, $265+s&h/paypal fees. But yeah, I got some ridiculous offers, some fishy pms and requests for international shipping despite the fact that I said CONUS only in the thread.

Top Bottom