• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

FoxSpirit

AudioGAF, I need help.

I wanna take a nice pair of headphones back with me but I don't quite know what I need so they will sound OK on my limited system.

System: Asus 1080p monitor that I'll be using the 3.5 jack on the back for my headphones. I basically want to crank up the volume on the monitor and then use a portable amp to regulate the volume on the headphones. I also want to be able to use the headphones on my iphone while I'm indoors.

I keep seeing liitle gadgets fro FiiO that seem like thet will work but they say USB and things like that and I need the littke portable amp to be able to power from the wall outlet since I don't have access to a PC or USB port.

Any suggestions?
Eh, what? You say you have no PC? What the hell is feeding the signal to the monitor?

LordCanti

I wish either of those were selling the mic-ed models at a similar discount. :(

You can buy the mic cable for $30 from UE's site. Works with the regular model if I've read correctly.

Just got in on this deal. Very thrilled that I didn't sleep right through it (post thanksgiving sleep is a bitch).

Unless the fit is god-tier, I'll be getting them reshelled into customs for $100.

bluestuff

Hmm decisions decisions. Right now I'm rocking Klipsch Image S4i's. Would getting the Klipsch Image X10's be a justifiable/sizeable upgrade at $114(after duties/taxes since I'm up here in Canada). Thank audio-GAF :)

Also I can't get the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10' as they won't ship to Canada.......

TxdoHawk

I'm in the same boat. But you can get a replacement tripleFi 10vi cable on ebay for about $35 and the iphone controls are going to work.

I couldnt find them on the ultimate ears website.

Hmm! Interesting. Maybe I will spring for these then...dunno, my S4's are still going strong, although I assume these would be quite an upgrade.

TheExodu5

Banned
For anyone thinking of getting the Phiaton MS400: they're decent portable cans, but not really all that great for home use. The bass is a tiny bit overwhelming, though the midrange is nice and pronounced. For this reason, they exceed on the bus or on the road because the bass and guitar/vocals comes through quite well. At home, they sound a tad muddled/veiled in comparison. They look great, to boot, and are light and comfortable for short periods of time (though the slight clamping might start hurting after 1-2 hours or so).

Onemic

Really need so me advice here. I've been wanting to replace my broken Sony MDR7505's for a while now and was looking at headphones within the $100 that would provide the same or better quality. Now Amazon.com has the 7506's for $89, but since I'm from Canada I have to get it from the .ca site, which overprices the fucking shit outta them at $159. The thing is though, that there are also the MDR-V6's available at a much more reasonable price of $99. Quality wise how good are these headphones? Are they better or the same quality as the 7506's or the 7505's? They look exactly the same as the 7506's other than the labeling being red rather than blue.

Oh and are there any other good studio headphones available for $100?(Friend wants to get the low end beats for $100 and I'm sure there are much better quality headphones available for the price)

Mindlog

Yeah, I don't know what happened but suddenly a lot of friends and family are asking me about Beats.

I have been looking for a new pair of decent IEMs. Those Klipsch X10s are really damned tempting.

HiResDes

Really need so me advice here. I've been wanting to replace my broken Sony MDR7505's for a while now and was looking at headphones within the $100 that would provide the same or better quality. Now Amazon.com has the 7506's for $89, but since I'm from Canada I have to get it from the .ca site, which overprices the fucking shit outta them at $159. The thing is though, that there are also the MDR-V6's available at a much more reasonable price of $99. Quality wise how good are these headphones? Are they better or the same quality as the 7506's or the 7505's? They look exactly the same as the 7506's other than the labeling being red rather than blue.

Oh and are there any other good studio headphones available for $100?(Friend wants to get the low end beats for $100 and I'm sure there are much better quality headphones available for the price)

7506s and MDR-V6s are the exact same sound wise...

kaskade

Fuck it. I ordered the x10. Ill just use my meelectronic m6's that I bought for the gym sine they stay in my ears really well. I don't like to spend a crazt amount on earphones since I tend to beat them up. But for 85 bucks (had a 10 dollar credit) I couldn't pass it up.

I remember being happy with the shitty ipod earbuds when I was younger lol. Ignorance is bliss.

Onemic

Not really, they're both tanks. Also at the one hundred range are the KRK KNS6400, and for half they're the Superlux 662's

Only asking because my 7505's broke due to me pulling the left side of the headphone over my head a little too strongly. I just don't a similar situation to happen to the V6.

Last question: how is the audio quality of the mdrv6 versus the mdr7505?

HiResDes

Not really fair considering Closed vs. Semi-Open, but I'd have to give the edge to the Superlux HD681 in terms of being a great all-arounder....Bass maybe the JVCs

blackflag

newegg has the mee M9P @ $10 today only
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826735014&Tpk=N82E16826735014

and the mee ht-21 @ $15 (promo code EMCJJHE94 - you might have to sub to their email list to get it to work, not sure)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826735017&Tpk=N82E16826735017

Perfect man. Thanks for the heads up. I never buy expensive headphones anymore because I literally go through a pair every month. Ordering a few of these.

What's the difference between closed and semi-open?

the most apparent difference is that semi-open will bleed more sound than closed. sound stage will usually be more wide than purely closed..but not as wide as fully-open cans. the advantages of semi-open/open shine on acoustic/classical/live Jazz music. anything made with a live band on a stage. the advantage is non-existent when it comes to electronic music (or anything not recorded with a live band).

consider semi-open as possibly a good amount of both worlds...or a master of neither. buy based on the kind of music you listen to.

HiResDes

Last, last question. Would I need to get an amp with the v6 or is it okay by itself?

Studio monitors benefit greatly with an amp, but they'll sound okay I guess out of the box...Just not great, but if you're gonna go out and get and amp might as well go with the Koss Pro DJ100, which scale even better.

Onemic

Studio monitors benefit greatly with an amp, but they'll sound okay I guess out of the box...Just not great, but if you're gonna go out and get and amp might as well go with the Koss Pro DJ100, which scale even better.

I was just gonna pick up a cheap one like the fiio e6 or something. Don't have the money to really get an expensive amp. That being said you'd still go with the dj100 over the v6?

Hmmm, was sorta interested in the TF10 just for the hell of it, but I understand it has fit and build issues (the housings are really big as to accomodate the BA drivers of the time). So I skipped out. And... I'm not sure if I'd enjoy another V shaped phone at the moment since recessed mids bother me a lot. I wouldn't mind trying out a DBA-02 to see what all the fuss over treble sparkle is about though.

I have actually auditioned the X10's for a few weeks, and didn't enjoy them initially. I find they are pretty tip dependent, and the Sony Hybrids I had on them made them sound congested and muddy. They improved a lot once I played around with the tip selection a bit, but I never liked them as much as the Radius DDM or RE262 when I ABed them, they were just a bit too warm and treble/mid recessed for my liking. Another issue is they don't have very good strain relief at the jack nor the entry points on the IEM housings. In terms of comfort though, man those things just disappeared, they were so small and light. At their MSRP, there are definitely better alternatives, but at that Black Friday price point though, they are pretty much a no brainer. If you're coming from more modest phones, you're going to love them.

Does anybody here own Urbanears Plattans? They're not top of the range or anything, just mid range cool looking headphones. I've had mines for a while now and I'm really happy with them, though now I feel like maybe I should step up to something higher spec..

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Just here to share the love for the awesomely sounding yet cheap audio technica ad700.

Caveat: build quality is shit - the aluminium mesh on the earbuds dents very easily (heck, I don't remember my ad700's ever taking a hit and they're dented). Also, the "wings" where your head rests are flimsy - i picked my headphones by one of these winngs without applying force or weight and it broke down.

Klipsch Image X10's for $95....is that worth that price? I mean how good are they?

They are absolutely worth that price for the sound quality you get, just at $295 MSRP, there are other phones out there that will definitely outperform them and at cheaper price points. I think the thing that bothers me the most about the X10 is its imaging isn't very good. They felt really claustrophobic from my memory, and I much prefer something with a larger soundstage. I think that has a lot to do with them being very, very small single driver phones. I think IEM tech has come a ways since the TF 10 and X10. But this is really me just nitpicking since I've heard better than the X10. At that price point, they are excellent phones and don't really have a peer. I'd just be a bit weary of the build quality. The straight jack is bound to short over the long run.

I should also mention that insertion depth plays a role in how good these phones sound. You have to be them deeper in the ear canal than you'd think, just like with Etymotics.

What do you guys think of the Corsair CA-HS1ANA Gaming Audio Series HS1 Analog Gaming Headset.

Its currently on sale for $44 on amazon.com

I need a decent gaming headset for my nephew.

Top Bottom