• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

LordCanti

Nah, I was able to sell off the 650s for what I wanted, $265+s&h/paypal fees. But yeah, I got some ridiculous offers, some fishy pms and requests for international shipping despite the fact that I said CONUS only in the thread.

HF B/S is really shady in general, because so much of it happens in PM, and so much of the money is sent paypal gift despite the warning.

If the TF10 deal doesn't happen this year, I'm going to buy a pair of semi-broken TF10's from someone for $90. I fully expect them to get to the reshelling company and be damaged beyond their ability to use them, but I guess that's the risk you've got to take when you don't want to spend the extra $150 at JH Audio (even with their 15% sale).

LCfiner

Head Fi should rename their b/s/t forums to Low Ball. :|

well, what do you consider a lowball for that WA6? less than 550? because someone is selling one for that price now (yes, with the Sophia Princess rectifier).

My experience has been pretty good buying and selling stuff there.

What I've noticed is that people won't really pay a whole lot more for the same item that's 6 months old compared to, say, 2 or 3 years old.

Well I went and bought those Eskuche 45 headphones anyway. Went for black though as opposed to silver. I'll probably put some impressions up tomorrow.

ESKUCHE45E3L.jpg

I currently have Senn HD280 PRO's for my PC for gaming but with BF3, I need a mic.

Anyone have experinece with the PC350 and PC360? Are there better options?

Any deals going on for PC350/PC360 for this weekend?

Stubo

I currently have Senn HD280 PRO's for my PC for gaming but with BF3, I need a mic.

I would also like impressions for the PC360, as mentioned earlier in the thread. Online reviews seem to rate it, but they only ever compare it to other gaming headsets. I would like to know how it compares to similarly priced headphones, if possible.

dazed808

I've had the PC360 for a couple of weeks now and have been impressed overall with performance. I was using some modded 555's with a clip-on mic but the mic cord snapped so I decided to try an all-in-one solution.

For gaming the sound quality would be very difficult to tell apart. I've been playing BF3 every night for the past month and all explosions, gunfire, comms etc have come through crystal clear with good spacial separation. The mic is head and shoulders above what I was using before (can't remember what the make was) and so much more convenient.

I haven't had an extended session with music yet but my initial impression was that mid-range and treble were the equivalent of the 555's but the bass sounded a little thin. Given that I had done the 555 mod that was probably to be expected.

I would also like impressions for the PC360, as mentioned earlier in the thread. Online reviews seem to rate it, but they only ever compare it to other gaming headsets. I would like to know how it compares to similarly priced headphones, if possible.

I've used multiple gaming headsets and stand alone phones over the years but just heading out for the night so will post comparisons later

Stubo

I've had the PC360 for a couple of weeks now and have been impressed overall with performance. I was using some modded 555's with a clip-on mic but the mic cord snapped so I decided to try an all-in-one solution.

For gaming the sound quality would be very difficult to tell apart. I've been playing BF3 every night for the past month and all explosions, gunfire, comms etc have come through crystal clear with good spacial separation. The mic is head and shoulders above what I was using before (can't remember what the make was) and so much more convenient.

I haven't had an extended session with music yet but my initial impression was that mid-range and treble were the equivalent of the 555's but the bass sounded a little thin. Given that I had done the 555 mod that was probably to be expected.

I've used multiple gaming headsets and stand alone phones over the years but just heading out for the night so will post comparisons later
Excellent, as long as the sound quality for music is not a huge drop I can definitely sacrifice that for the convenience of having an all-in-one solution. This is exactly the kind of post I was hoping for. Thank you sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar! I look forward to your further comparisons.

Alucrid

Banned
well, what do you consider a lowball for that WA6? less than 550? because someone is selling one for that price now (yes, with the Sophia Princess rectifier).

My experience has been pretty good buying and selling stuff there.

What I've noticed is that people won't really pay a whole lot more for the same item that's 6 months old compared to, say, 2 or 3 years old.

I was speaking about the HD650s. But when you consider that mine comes with upgraded drive/power tubes, original tubes, original packaging, hardly any use and comes from the first owner of it and includes shipping I don't mind the price discrepancy.

LCfiner

I was speaking about the HD650s. But when you consider that mine comes with upgraded drive/power tubes, original tubes, original packaging, hardly any use and comes from the first owner of it and includes shipping I don't mind the price discrepancy.

yeah, I can see why you might get lowballed for an HD650. sorry for misunderstanding.

As for the amp, maybe you'll get more offers once that cheaper one is sold off. like I said, in my experience, head-fi users don't seem to put too high of a value on lightly used equipment compared to the more worn in stuff.

X-Frame

Go with these CW31's or the CC51's

What are the differences between the two?

Both similar price and reviews ..

I have the Sennheiser MM 50's now and I love them, huge difference compared to the standard iPhone headphones but I hate the wrap around the ear design.

I'm looking for better sounding earphones that won't break and with a regular design.

Primary genre's for me are metal/rock/techno.

Quoting for a new page.

Looking to buy either one of these today.

Hansel

Banned
What kind of headphones would be best for me in the ~$250 price range?

I'm not interested in noise cancellation.
I'd prefer they be circumaural.
I'd prefer they be open-back.
I'd also prefer something that would be best for listening at home with an amp, but that could also be used on an MP3 player with good results.

Sorry if what I've described is ridiculous; I'm new to the headphones game.

LCfiner

I'd also prefer something that would be best for listening at home with an amp, but that could also be used on an MP3 player with good results.

Sennheiser 558 or 598 would fit the bill.

maybe the Senn 600 for around 300 bucks.

LCfiner

Thanks! From some of my other internet searching I've heard the AKG K702s also fit pretty well. Do you know if that's the case?

AKG 701/ 702 are infamous for requiring monster amping to sound their best and are apparently very bass light.

I wish I could comment from first hand experience but everything I’ve read is that the Senn 558 or 598 would be easier to enjoy with regular equipment but it has less potential for detail retrieval.

one thing that I can speak from experience about in this price range are midrange Grado cans :) they’re on-ear not over ear but are super easy to drive, sound great and are real fun and offer great detail.

HiResDes

Quoting for a new page.

Looking to buy either one of these today.

Both the CC51's and the CW31's are good, but I'd give the obvious edge to the CC51's in terms of overall clarity, which makes sense given that they are the flagship model of the brand.

HiResDes

Hifiman HE-300 undoubtedly

Denon D2000.

Sound reproduction is very similar to an open back design. They are circumaral. They sound good with an amp, but sound great out of an MP3 player.

From my experience, the Sennheiser's can be driven to very good volume levels without amplification, so I wouldn't necessarially recommend those.

edit: when did Hifiman come out with $250 cans? I'm blown away. How do they compare to the HD600s?

Hansel

Banned
AKG 701/ 702 are infamous for requiring monster amping to sound their best and are apparently very bass light.

I wish I could comment from first hand experience but everything I’ve read is that the Senn 558 or 598 would be easier to enjoy with regular equipment but it has less potential for detail retrieval.

one thing that I can speak from experience about in this price range are midrange Grado cans :) they’re on-ear not over ear but are super easy to drive, sound great and are real fun and offer great detail.

Awesome, I'll be looking in to those. Thanks for the help.

X-Frame

Both the CC51's and the CW31's are good, but I'd give the obvious edge to the CC51's in terms of overall clarity, which makes sense given that they are the flagship model of the brand.

Sweet.

I'll get the white ones since they're about $10 cheaper and match my white iPhone.

I assume this goes without saying, but these should be much better than my current Sennheiser earphones correct?

Tokubetsu

Just spent like 40 dollars on cables and a DAC for the ps3 I just bought, FML. That's now why I'm here though. I think it's time to replace the cable on my HD-595. Suggestions? Links? All appreciated.

So yeah I originally head these headphones. I broke them.

I got these as a replacement. In comparison they suck. But that isn't the worst part. When connected to my receiver they leave some serious feedback when there isn't much sound in my games.

I'm thinking of picking up the Pioneer's again but wondering for some other recommendations among that price range, especially since its Black Friday.

Is this one that's currently a lightning deal any good? Better than the Pioneer?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Some unseen expenses plus job issues delayed my HE-300s as well. But down to $249, I'm going to try squeezing them into the budget next month. And by squeezing I mean that shit has to happen.

Did you finally get these? I’ve heard really conflicting things about these on head-fi.

Some of those dudes on head-fi just shit on everything. They'll make you hate any cans if you read enough threads.

FoxSpirit

The one complaint they have is that is has some weird, unnatural coloration. Like, you'll only notice after having been exposed to nature sounds for a bit.
Not terrible but if you are a Violinist it can sound offputting.

Hellish

My parents are going to the US shortly is there any physical store that has the HD 650 for less then $360? (California area)

LCfiner

Some of those dudes on head-fi just shit on everything. They'll make you hate any cans if you read enough threads.

yeah, but this was an oddly specific complaint from people who had been looking forward to the HE-300. Something about timbre being really unnatural.

I went back there last night and checked up on the HE-300 thread and it seems some of the first production models got replaced by Hifiman. looks like comments are more normal now.

X-Frame

Before I get these -- is the cable design similar to the iPod's or is it like my current Sennheiser's where 1 cable wraps around the neck (one long cable, one short)?

Yes Boss!

AudioGAF, I need help.

I wanna take a nice pair of headphones back with me but I don't quite know what I need so they will sound OK on my limited system.

System: Asus 1080p monitor that I'll be using the 3.5 jack on the back for my headphones. I basically want to crank up the volume on the monitor and then use a portable amp to regulate the volume on the headphones. I also want to be able to use the headphones on my iphone while I'm indoors.

I keep seeing liitle gadgets fro FiiO that seem like thet will work but they say USB and things like that and I need the littke portable amp to be able to power from the wall outlet since I don't have access to a PC or USB port.

Any suggestions?

Well I went and bought those Eskuche 45 headphones anyway. Went for black though as opposed to silver. I'll probably put some impressions up tomorrow.

ESKUCHE45E3L.jpg

So I don't really know too much about this sort of stuff, but these arrived today and so far I love them. They're probably a bit overpriced, i.e. I could have got some M50's for £25 more. They're really comfortable, and seem really well made. The sound is good, not amazing, but so much better than what I was using before. Not too bass heavy which I prefer. Don't really know enough to say any more than that.

Top Bottom