• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oooo I've been gone from the net for a few days outside of checking my e-mail on my phones. So I just got on the FB tonight and see a pic of my best friend and he took my advice it seems. He has a pick of himself rocking his ATH-AD700s that just came in the mail today!

HTuran

So, I'm about to bite the bullet on a pair of TMA-1s. Currently using a worn-to-shit pair of Sennheiser HD 540s and have been looking to upgrade for a while.

From everything I've seen, the TMA-1s look perfect (love the design, reviews seem exceptionally positive). Just wondered if anyone had any experience or other suggestions in the ~$200 range.

EDIT: Read some more, ordered!

apana

Got these at Costco a few days ago, 2 for $20. It's also on Amazon

cezVVFTHJ5QHo.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JU0E3A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They fit great into my ear because of a foam they give you.

X-Frame

I've just learned about "burning in" headphones after reading some Amazon reviews.

What exactly is happening when people say they burn in their headphones? One reviewer said they left the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's playing music for a week straight and it helped a lot with the sound.

Alucrid

Banned
I've just learned about "burning in" headphones after reading some Amazon reviews.

What exactly is happening when people say they burn in their headphones? One reviewer said they left the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's playing music for a week straight and it helped a lot with the sound.

Just listen to your music and you'll be fine. No need to let it play pink noise for a week straight to burn it in.

I've got Shure SE425s. Sound great but don't seal as well as the SCL4s I had previously. Getting a good seal on IEMs is crucial.

This "burning-in" is a bunch of crap... This is bascially the time-period where the individual is getting used to the particular sound signature of the earphones rather than something mechanically happening to the phones themselves.

LordCanti

Supposedly the drivers loosen up. Personally, I think it's psychological in most cases. In other cases, I wouldn't be surprised if the differences people hear A/B'ing burned in headphones to new ones (yes, there are people willing to buy two pairs to test this...even for expensive headphones =/) had more to do with how that individual pair was manufactured, and less to do with any changes that are happening as a pair "burns in".

What is definitely psychological is the need some people have to only experience headphones at their "burned in" best, and not have to "suffer" through a period of time where they are burning in.

(Basically, it's up to you, but they'll "burn in" naturally, if such a thing exists in the first place)

Shaneus

Anyone have any opinions on the UE 700s? They're going for what seems to be a ridiculously cheap price here in Australia @ $100AU (don't worry, it IS a legit store) and despite really being on the hunt for something with in-line controls (iPhone), I suppose I could forgo them and just use my Fiio E1 instead.

kaskade

My x10's came in. They sound awesome. My last pair was the s4 which I really liked. For list price I wouldn't buy them, mostly because I'm rough on headphones but I already bought a pair of Meelectronics m6 for the gym to perserve these.

The big difference with these, besides them sounding just better overall, is is hearing "where" sounds are coming from. Some things sound farther, instruments sound like they are in different spots in my brain basically. I'm sure there's some term for it. They are also really comfortable as well. I don't need to keep them as loud either. I always felt like I would have to turn other earphones up more to hear everything well.

Well there's my non audiophile impressions.

Red

I'm trying to choose between three pairs of headphones right now. My budget is $300, but I'd like to get a pair of earphones as well to be able to take when I'm on the go. I don't know anything about earphones really, so any recommendations at all would be welcome. These are the three headphones I'm looking to choose between:

Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Grado Prestige Series SR225i
Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones

Does anyone have experience with these? Other possibilities? They'll mostly be used for music and gaming while at home, so I'm not worrying about them being open air. I'd like closed headphones for outside though, which is why I'm leaning toward earbuds.

Anyway, which of these choices would you pick?

LCfiner

My vote would be for the grado or the sennheiser. the AD700 don’t have the same level of detail and seem unnaturally bass light. there’s no punch at all.

The grado will be really upfront and in your face - like you're on stage with the band. small soundstage (might be poor for gaming). very strong treble and very fun but might uncomfortable for long sessions.

the sennhesier are more all-rounders and are much larger and should have bigger soundstage than the grados. I can’t comment on specifics of the sound.

Davidion

I'm trying to choose between three pairs of headphones right now. My budget is $300, but I'd like to get a pair of earphones as well to be able to take when I'm on the go. I don't know anything about earphones really, so any recommendations at all would be welcome. These are the three headphones I'm looking to choose between:

ppjMt.gif
glitterfy1204758T946D30.gif
ppjMt.gif

LCfiner

ha ha.

@Crunched, in all seriousness. if you want punchy, this is it. I tried these for a couple days. very punchy.

also, they could do double duty as your portable, road cans.

(edit: for 300 and if you want some solid bass, try the Denon D2000 if you want to stick to large, indoor sized cans.)

Red

If you don't mind buying from Electronics-Expo, they're selling it for $163 (not including shipping) right now with a coupon code.

Mad Lusy Envy from head-fi rates them highly as gaming phones.

Damn, thanks for this. I was going to wait and weigh my options, but this is a very tempting deal.

ha ha.

@Crunched, in all seriousness. if you want punchy, this is it. I tried these for a couple days. very punchy.

also, they could do double duty as your portable, road cans.

(edit: for 300 and if you want some solid bass, try the Denon D2000 if you want to stick to large, indoor sized cans.)
The $300 is not a hard limit, but I'd like it to include an amp and earbuds if possible.

I don't have experience with either of them, but from what I can tell online the 598s are a little better all-rounders than the 25-1s. If I have to sacrifice a little bass punch for a better overall package, I am okay with that.

Also, I love how the 598s look. It may be a superficial point, but they're very attractive to me.

jokkir

I just got the Sennheiser HD 558's. Does anyone have them here and if you do, how do they compared to ATH M50's, amped and not amped?

Kukuk

Banned
I just got the Sennheiser HD 558's. Does anyone have them here and if you do, how do they compared to ATH M50's, amped and not amped?

Haven't heard the 558's, but have heard the 555's. The 555's to me sound much, much better than the M50's, thanks to a proper mid-range. I didn't think amping made much of a difference for either though.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
OMG!!!

Damn my sleeping!

My buddy was at a local guitar center earlier today where some dude was selling HD 600s and HD 800s for 120$/350$. He called me a bajillion times, but i was out cold. DAMN IT!!!!!! When he called me asking if he got ripped off for buying HD 800s for 350$ i was speechless. Dude didn't know what he just bought. Son of a gun i don't even know what to think lol.

Alucrid

Banned
OMG!!!

Damn my sleeping!

My buddy was at a local guitar center earlier today where some dude was selling HD 600s and HD 800s for 120$/350$. He called me a bajillion times, but i was out cold. DAMN IT!!!!!! When he called me asking if he got ripped off for buying HD 800s for 350$ i was speechless. Dude didn't know what he just bought. Son of a gun i don't even know what to think lol.

Was it the store...or just some dude?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Was it the store...or just some dude?

You know what, my friend was telling me it was in-store and that the employee was leaving his job soon so i guess the worker hooked him up. He said it seemed sketchy, and that's why he kept calling me thinking he got ripped off.

LordCanti

OMG!!!

Damn my sleeping!

800's go for like a grand. Would guitar center even sell something like that?

The 600's I can believe (even if they are less than half off), but the 800 is unbelievable.

Edit: The 800's are a grand and a half apparently (http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd-800.php)

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
800's go for like a grand. Would guitar center even sell something like that?

The 600's I can believe (even if they are less than half off), but the 800 is unbelievable.

Believe me, my buddy doesn't have a clue about headphones yet, he is just getting into audio equipment, and until recently thought Dre Beats were top of the line high end.

I thought he was joking with me because i though guitar center didn't carry super high end stuff like that in-store, but he was just reading the box saying he bought HD 800s and was kind of upset because he just paid 350$ for something that he didn't know much about.

I just barely missed out on MP4Nation's $39.50 Brainwavz M2 sale (I was paying for them when the sale ended). Are there any other good earphones around that price that are durable?

Edit: Should I go for the M1s?

LordCanti

Believe me, my buddy doesn't have a clue about headphones yet, he is just getting into audio equipment, and until recently thought Dre Beats were top of the line high end.

I thought he was joking with me because i though guitar center didn't carry super high end stuff like that in-store, but he was just reading the box saying he bought HD 800s and was kind of upset because he just paid 350$ for something that he didn't know much about.

Pics. Stat.

Did the transaction happen in the store, or was it a "I've got something to show you in my trunk" type of situation?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Damn, thanks for this. I was going to wait and weigh my options, but this is a very tempting deal.

The $300 is not a hard limit, but I'd like it to include an amp and earbuds if possible.

I don't have experience with either of them, but from what I can tell online the 598s are a little better all-rounders than the 25-1s. If I have to sacrifice a little bass punch for a better overall package, I am okay with that.

Also, I love how the 598s look. It may be a superficial point, but they're very attractive to me.

You don't need an amp unless you're using high impedance cans.

Mindlog

OMG!!!

Damn my sleeping!

Wow, did they fall off the truck? What LordCanti said.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Pics. Stat.

Did the transaction happen in the store, or was it a "I've got something to show you in my trunk" type of situation?

I think the transaction happened inside the store. I'm going to ask him more about it later when we play some MW3 or something lol.

I'll try to get pics up tomorrow. I'm having him come over tomorrow so i can see it, believe his story, and most importantly try them out. Hopefully my Pioneer receiver has enough juice to at least make the HD 800s sound decent enough.

Wow, did they fall off the truck? What LordCanti said.

Yeah i don't know all the details, but my friend told me that the guy was an employee and that he was leaving his job soon. My buddy didn't ask anymore questions as he was worried he got ripped off spending 350$ on an item he really doesn't know anything about.

LordCanti

I think the transaction happened inside the store. I'm going to ask him more about it later when we play some MW3 or something lol.

I'll try to get pics up tomorrow. I'm having him come over tomorrow so i can see it, believe his story, and most importantly try them out. Hopefully my Pioneer receiver has enough juice to at least make the HD 800s sound decent enough.

Yeah i don't know all the details, but my friend told me that the guy was an employee and that he was leaving his job soon. My buddy didn't ask anymore questions as he was worried he got ripped off spending 350$ on an item he really doesn't know anything about.

If they actually are 800's (I'll believe your friend when you see them, lol), he only got ripped off in the sense that there's no way he has the amp/dac/etc equipment to make them worth listening to.

That, and the whole "Guitar Center is going to notice the missing $1500 pair of headphones, run security footage, and find your friend" angle. I have no idea on the legality of whether or not a store employee is allowed to basically give merchandise away for a ridiculously low price. If he paid with a credit card, it's not going to be hard to find him if it's not legal.

If it is legal....yeah, he can sell them for at least a grand, easy. More if he stops wearing them, and keeps all the packaging intact.

DarkJC

Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Grado Prestige Series SR225i
Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones

Does anyone have experience with these? Other possibilities? They'll mostly be used for music and gaming while at home, so I'm not worrying about them being open air. I'd like closed headphones for outside though, which is why I'm leaning toward earbuds.

For listening I'm partial to Grados, I have a pair of SR225s I'm listening to right now and you can't beat how alive they make everything sound. Unfortunately if these are going to be multi-purpose cans (gaming/movies as well) I'd recommend something else. The comfort just isn't there for long periods. I switch over to a more comfy headset w/ mic when I game.

Geneijin

They are only for home, yeah. I've been looking at the E7 and E9, one or the other now and then picking up the second later on. Is the E10 comparable? I see differing opinions online.
Yeah, if you're going for the E7/E9 combo, you're better off getting the E10. The only reason I would suggest the E7/E9 combo over the E10 is if you wanted the better amp, which is the E9. Otherwise, the E10 is the better budget DAC/amp combo than the E7/E9 at half the cost too although you do have a choice of pairing the E10 with the E9 later if you're ever curious. Relatively the same cost as getting the E7 and E9 anyway except you'll be using the E10 as a DAC instead of the E7..

I realize they aren't necessary, but from what I understand they can help push quality a bit further. Am I mistaken?
They do, but there are times where you may have to think about the damping factor when pairing a low impedance phone like an IEM with a high output impedance from an amp. With the HD598, however, I think an amp is well worth it because it'll help the bass, specifically the 100 hz region like some other Senn phones. I also feel proper amping gets rid the "veil" (yet not completely) the Senn sound is usually associated with.

nGiQb.png

I have a VERY hard time believing that GC stocks the HD800 as that's pretty esoteric by big box store standards. I'm wondering if they are Chinese fakes being sold by an "employee" to turn over a few hundred bucks. Hell, the Chinese make a very convincing Senn IE8 copy right down to the packaging, so why not?

LordCanti

I have a VERY hard time believing that GC stocks the HD800 as that's pretty esoteric by big box store standards. I'm wondering if they are Chinese fakes being sold by an "employee" to turn over a few hundred bucks. Hell, the Chinese make a very convincing Senn IE8 copy right down to the packaging, so why not?

I had this thought too, but who has the balls to do that inside a store, with security cameras and (I'm assuming) a receipt?

It's pretty easy for the person buying them to find out.

Red

For listening I'm partial to Grados, I have a pair of SR225s I'm listening to right now and you can't beat how alive they make everything sound. Unfortunately if these are going to be multi-purpose cans (gaming/movies as well) I'd recommend something else. The comfort just isn't there for long periods. I switch over to a more comfy headset w/ mic when I game.

Yeah, if you're going for the E7/E9 combo, you're better off getting the E10. The only reason I would suggest the E7/E9 combo over the E10 is if you wanted the better amp, which is the E9. Otherwise, the E10 is the better budget DAC/amp combo than the E7/E9 at half the cost too although you do have a choice of pairing the E10 with the E9 later if you're ever curious. Relatively the same cost as getting the E7 and E9 anyway except you'll be using the E10 as a DAC instead of the E7..

They do, but there are times where you may have to think about the damping factor when pairing a low impedance phone like an IEM with a high output impedance from an amp. With the HD598, however, I think an amp is well worth it because it'll help the bass, specifically the 100 hz region like some other Senn phones. I also feel proper amping gets rid the "veil" (yet not completely) the Senn sound is usually associated with.

http://i.imgur.com/nGiQb.png[/MG][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help.

Ashhong

I had this thought too, but who has the balls to do that inside a store, with security cameras and (I'm assuming) a receipt?

It's pretty easy for the person buying them to find out.

I doubt there are receipts...if there was then it cant be fake. Nothing would ring up if it wasn't already in the system.

edit: not to mention, there would be nothing to be afraid of if he had a receipt in regards to returning the item. He said his friend was freaking out thinking he got ripped off.

Top Bottom