• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

Whoompthereitis said:
Just hit ebay and pulled the trigger on a pair of Yuin Pk3s. Had to get 'em there because Amazon don't ship to Canada.

Fuck knows how long it'll take for them to ship from Hong Kong, but I'm looking forward to trying these babies out.

Thanks for the tip, Des!
You could have got them from Head-Direct, they ship worldwide and are quite reliable...

Ashhong

I would be wary about any kind of headphones shipping from China...Saw M50s from China, looked real and everything but I didn't want to risk it.

Danoss

ChoklitReign said:
Are the AD700s supposed to be squeaky? I don't know what's causing it but it's my biggest problem with them.
Mine do that a bit when I'm adjusting them, not much besides that.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
ChoklitReign said:
Are the AD700s supposed to be squeaky? I don't know what's causing it but it's my biggest problem with them.

I never hear mine, unless I'm putting them on or taking them off. I guess if your head size is small you can try the adjustment mod (basically it's just a rubber band between the wings). Might keep them from moving around - if that's what's causing the squeak.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Whoompthereitis said:
Just hit ebay and pulled the trigger on a pair of Yuin Pk3s. Had to get 'em there because Amazon don't ship to Canada.

Fuck knows how long it'll take for them to ship from Hong Kong, but I'm looking forward to trying these babies out.

Thanks for the tip, Des!
I hope you were thorough. There's fake Pk3s on eBay.

DonMigs85 said:
Are the Koss Portapros decent enough if I plug them straight into my PSP Go or iPod, or should I get an amp?
Never hurts to grab a FiiO E5.

HiResDes

DonMigs85 said:
Are the Koss Portapros decent enough if I plug them straight into my PSP Go or iPod, or should I get an amp?
They do sound good unamped too, though as K. Jack said an amp never hurts.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's not safe for personal dignity. I'm gonna add the offenders to my ignore list rather than mess around with image blocking.

Extollere said:
I lied. :D

yypw0nw2.jpg
Do you have the full res image for this?

I give up. Was gonna get the iPhone compatible Senns but this shit is just too damn complicated. Plus, CES starting tomorrow makes it basically impossible to make a good purchase decision right now.

MrBig

StrikerObi said:
I give up. Was gonna get the iPhone compatible Senns but this shit is just too damn complicated. Plus, CES starting tomorrow makes it basically impossible to make a good purchase decision right now.
iphones need specific hardware?

Ashhong

HiResDes said:
I hope Whoomp's PK3s aren't fakes as he still hasn't responded to any of our concerns.

At the worst he can file a claim with Paypal and/or his credit card company. It shouldnt be too bad.

Gaogaogao

so if im reading this thread right the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Headphones do_not_need an amplifier? because they look really comfy and a good fit for me.

HiResDes

Gaogaogao said:
so if im reading this thread right the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Headphones do_not_need an amplifier? because they look really comfy and a good fit for me.

They definitely benefit from an amp...I own them (they are my favorite cans), and while they sound okay without one an amp it really helps cover up the recessed mids and brings out the excellent highs of the headphones which seem less present without one. Although the bass is great pretty much no matter what. :lol

Gaogaogao

HiResDes said:
They definitely benefit from an amp...I own them (they are my favorite cans), and while they sound okay without one an amp it really helps cover up the recessed mids and brings out the excellent highs of the headphones which seem less present without one. Although the bass is great pretty much no matter what. :lol
so would the FiiO E5 Amp make a good combo with it? it sounds like it doesnt need too much help.

HiResDes

Yeah that would be good start...The more money you have to spend on an amp the better. I still have a rather shitty setup myself though.

@Extollere - I didn't mind, but I guess some others did. I just want to make sure we never get too snobby in here like at head-fi. This should be a fun place.

Gaogaogao said:
so would the FiiO E5 Amp make a good combo with it? it sounds like it doesnt need too much help.

The DT770 Pro are my favorite headphone too. I'd recommend getting an amp for them to get the most out of them. The bass can get flabby without one. I haven't heard the FiiO amps, but I assume they don't have as much power/swing as an amp powered by a 9v. I have a mini^3 and it really makes the DT770's thump. Obviously an AC powered desktop would be even better, but quite a bit more money.

Totakeke

So I just got a new Zune HD. And coming from a Sansa Clip+. the difference in music is very noticeable for a lot of things. I didn't notice this much difference comparing between my Droid and my Clip+. I hardly ever plug my customs into my dekstop rig so I can't say whether Zune HD is putting out a neutral sound compared to what I typically listen to, but the bass is definitely much punchier and definitely something different with the treble too.

Odd.

dazed808

Heads up for any UK Gaffer's looking for cheap Senns hd600's - my local PC World had them on clearance, brand new and boxed for £145.

They sound phenomenal so far and that's with only 12 hours of pink/white noise burn in. All genres sound great but they really do shine with live acoustic stuff - eargasm for sure :D

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
whats you headphone jizzers opinion on the Snoopdog Skullcandy headphones , with the build in AMP half way up the wire ?

dazed808 said:
Heads up for any UK Gaffer's looking for cheap Senns hd600's - my local PC World had them on clearance, brand new and boxed for £145.
Damn. Wish I could get this deal... American.

the_painted_bird said:
Thank you. If anyone has a suggestion for buds with high impedance and a J-cord, please share!
No one?

poweld

Kentpaul said:
whats you headphone jizzers opinion on the Snoopdog Skullcandy headphones , with the build in AMP half way up the wire ?
Headphones with an amp built in? So you plug your headphones into a power source as well as your audio source? :lol

On my phone so I'm not gonna research but... sounds like insanity wrapped in marketing. Also, Skullcandy.

jizz.

Davidion

the_painted_bird said:

If I'm not mistaken, there aren't many buds (or you may be referring to IEMs, same situation) with high impedance, period.

A J-cord is even rarer nowadays, I think the Sennheiser CX300s had them.

yeah, it's totally possible I got fake Yuin PK3s from Ebay. We'll see I guess....

If they do come as fake, I'll let everyone know so we can all laugh at me together.

EDIT:

Just went and bought another pair from Head-Direct, as per Des' suggestion. Figure if the Ebay ones are fake these'll be a necessary replacement, and if the ones from Ebay end up being real and as good as I hear, having a second pair won't be such a bad thing.

poweld

Davidion said:
If I'm not mistaken, there aren't many buds (or you may be referring to IEMs, same situation) with high impedance, period.

A J-cord is even rarer nowadays, I think the Sennheiser CX300s had them.
Like Davidion said, I don't think you'll find (m)any high impedance buds. The Sennheiser CX580's are buds, not IEM's, and they have a 3.5mm J terminator.

poweld said:
Like Davidion said, I don't think you'll find (m)any high impedance buds. The Sennheiser CX580's are buds, not IEM's, and they have a 3.5mm J terminator.
Yeah I don't know what the fuck I was talking about then. I can't find CX580's anywhere. I'm bummed J-Cord is rare, I wonder if I could re-cable some IEMs with some, if I ever find any.

So I just did the mod to my 555s to turn them into 595s, and I don't know why it took me so long to do so.

I never listen to my Grado SR-80 anymore, and was wondering if anyone was interested in them?
Probably have less then 35 hours on them.

Davidion

YuriLowell said:
So I just did the mod to my 555s to turn them into 595s, and I don't know why it took me so long to do so.

I never listen to my Grado SR-80 anymore, and was wondering if anyone was interested in them?
Probably have less then 35 hours on them.

Ooooooh, how much?

Alucrid

Banned
the_painted_bird said:
Yeah I don't know what the fuck I was talking about then. I can't find CX580's anywhere. I'm bummed J-Cord is rare, I wonder if I could re-cable some IEMs with some, if I ever find any.

Why exactly is the J cord so...desirable?

poweld

the_painted_bird said:
My bad, it's MX580

Alucrid said:
I like them as well with portable headphones. It makes the joint pressing toward the device be of hard molded plastic, and therefore more durable. With a straight connector that cord will take substantially more abuse when roughed around in pockets, etc.

Alucrid said:
I'm used to the style, they typically have shorter cords as well.

poweld said:
My bad, it's MX580
Thanks.

Edit: They don't say they're j-cord, nobody mentions it in the reviews, photos of it on Google show they're symmetrical... this link isn't j-cord MX580s (?)

I'm going to peruse eBay.

HiResDes

kaskade said:
http://i.imgur.com/97lA1.jpg/IMG]
[URL="http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/sleek-by-50-cent-platinum-headphones-announced-invites-beats-to/"]http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/sleek-by-50-cent-platinum-headphones-announced-invites-beats-to/[/URL]

I don't think these have been posted yet. They looks fancy.[/QUOTE]

The only celebrity headphones that I'm the least bit interested in are those made by AKG.

Ashhong

Today is the big day! I swear I had the hardest time sleeping :lol It's pathetic. I usually sleep in until like 2pm too, which would have made the wait for the delivery easy, but of course I have to wake up at 11am today and not be able to go back to sleep

Alucrid

Banned
Ashhong said:
Today is the big day! I swear I had the hardest time sleeping :lol It's pathetic. I usually sleep in until like 2pm too, which would have made the wait for the delivery easy, but of course I have to wake up at 11am today and not be able to go back to sleep

It's tough feeling sorry for you when I have to get up at 7 for work. :lol

Threi

notag
I want a Meelectronics M6...problem is everywhere that has them for a reasonable price (i.e. under $20) is US only and doesn't ship to Canada... :/

anyone know of any places that do?

Ashhong

Alucrid said:
It's tough feeling sorry for you when I have to get up at 7 for work. :lol

I havent woken up that early on a regular basis since high school :lol time to try to go back to sleep..

Top Bottom