• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

MrBig

I nearly came while listening to Catgroove as my first song with my M50's that arrived today. And these are supposed to get better with burn in you say? Best $100 I've ever spent.

MrBig said:
I nearly came while listening to Catgroove as my first song with my M50's that arrived today. And these are supposed to get better with burn in you say? Best $100 I've ever spent.
Where did you find M50's for that price?
Also, how comfortable are they?

MrBig

_dementia said:
Where did you find M50's for that price?
Also, how comfortable are they?
I've been wearing them for a whole 30 minutes in total now so I can't say anything about long term use, but I can't even feel them.
I got them at Amazon.

swoon

poweld said:
I think most of the people in a thread about expensive headphones have to get up early :)

should be the thread subtitle.

my stax lambada signatures and amp came in yesterday, and fuck if they aren't the best things i've heard. super fast and detailed. i can see my wallet vanishing underneath electrostatics.

Ashhong

OK I solved my headphone dilemma. Right when I was about to give up, wait until after CES, and re-start the search with a million new products to sift through, I was talking to a friend about headphones. He works in retail and gets discounts on some items the store sells. Sometimes they are like 10% off but there are some products that he gets insane discounts on. We were talking about some quality cans and I remembered trying the Bowers & Wilkins P5s at his store.

2XEv.png

They list at $300 and don't sell for less than that anywhere (except maybe eBay, used or hot). Turns out, he gets half off Bowers & Wilkins products, so he can get them for $150. It was a bit above what I wanted to spend, but half-off $300 cans is not something I was going to pass up, especially considering they met all of my requirements (on/over-ear, isolating, in-line iPhone controls, good sound -- great in this case, and slick design). The order is in. New cans should arrive in the next few weeks. I cannot wait to try these suckers out. I didn't think I'd be jumping into the mid-range audiophile range of cans, but it turns out I am. I hope this doesn't turn into an obsession...

Totakeke

StrikerObi said:
OK I solved my headphone dilemma. Right when I was about to give up, wait until after CES, and re-start the search with a million new products to sift through, I was talking to a friend about headphones. He works in retail and gets discounts on some items the store sells. Sometimes they are like 10% off but there are some products that he gets insane discounts on. We were talking about some quality cans and I remembered trying the Bowers & Wilkins P5s at his store.

2XEv.png

They list at $300 and don't sell for less than that anywhere (except maybe eBay, used or hot). Turns out, he gets half off Bowers & Wilkins products, so he can get them for $150. It was a bit above what I wanted to spend, but half-off $300 cans is not something I was going to pass up, especially considering they met all of my requirements (on/over-ear, isolating, in-line iPhone controls, good sound -- great in this case, and slick design). The order is in. New cans should arrive in the next few weeks. I cannot wait to try these suckers out. I didn't think I'd be jumping into the mid-range audiophile range of cans, but it turns out I am. I hope this doesn't turn into an obsession...

Did you check out the reviews for that? My friend who bought bose, monster, and atomic floyd before asked me about those too and I automatically assumed that they were in the same pile of crap audio equipment you should never buy. ;p

Quick search reveals

Skylab from Head-fi said:
I don’t want to overplay this – it’s not like the P5 sound awful. But they are a very colored headphone, and you will have to really like their odd flavor to like them. It’s already clear that some people do, and that’s great. I have deep, deep respect for B&W. I absolutely love my B&W Nautilus 800’s. I had never owned a pair of speakers for more than 2 years before investing in the N800’s – and I have owned them for almost 10 years, and just yesterday I was listening to some nice vinyl through them and absolutely reveling in their sound. Unfortunately, B&W has a major miss with the P5, in my opinion. They could have been so much better, and they look so nice and are so well built, surely they could have made them more neutral sounding. It’s not like B&W doesn’t know what good sound is. I have a hard time imagining that they feel the P5 represent $300 worth of headphone sound. Maybe they needed to do more benchmarking.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/482817/review-b-w-bowers-wilkins-p5-headphones

HiResDes

M31

AFOdK.jpg

Specs:

* Driver: 9.0 mm dynamic drivers

* Housing: Metal with two-tone color scheme

* Frequency Response: 15Hz – 20KHz

* Sensitivity: 96 dB

* Impedance: 16 ohms

* Maximum Power Input: 30 mW

* Connector: 4 pin 3.5mm gold plated 90° plug

Description - Fun is what the M31 is all about, giving you a fun, punchy presentation with good space and enhanced bass. Providing warmth along with 5 color choices of the the cool two-tone housing, this earphone delivers!

The Original M Series in-ear headphones have a fun sound with enhanced bass that doesn't intrude into the rest of the spectrum along with good clarity.

CX21

1de520be_EP-CX21-BK-MEE-2T.jpg

Specs:

* Housing: High impact plastic housing with angled fit

* Sensitivity: 101 dB

* Connector: 3 pin stereo 3.5mm gold plated45° plug

* Cable: Designer black 135 cm cable (53 in) with attached shirt clip

* Accessories: 5 sets of eartips (small/medium/large/double-flange silicon; small triple- flange), round zipper case

* Compatible Accessories:

* Warranty: 1 year

* Dimension: 0.25 in. H x 0.3 in. W x 0.7 in. L

* Ship Weight: 0.75 lb

Description - You want great sound quality for a great price, look no further than the CX21. With a 9mm dynamic driver, the CX21 gives you bass impact that hits hard but is not overpowering while retaining a clean midrange and extended treble. High impact housing is angled for a comfortable fit.

CW31 - Wooden

1000x500px-LL-3b1f1ae8_EP-CW31-MEE-2T.jpg

Specs:

* Housing: Wooden housing with angled nozzle

* Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20KHz

* Sensitivity: 99 dB

* Connector: 3 pin stereo 3.5mm gold plated 45° plug

* Cable: Designer black 135 cm cable (53 in) with attached shirt clip

* Accessories: 5 sets of eartips (small/medium/large/double-flange silicon; small triple-flange), round zipper case

Description - Wood produces a natural resonance, which is why it is used for so many musical instruments. The CW31's wooden housing resonates naturally with the music, giving you a natural touch to the clean and clear sound. The small size of the CW31 allows for easy insertion and long term comfort. The CW31 housing is made Samak wood which is a very hard, durable, and long lasting wood that is eco friendly!

CC51 - Ceramic

klz6e.jpg

Specs:

* Driver: 6.0 mm micro-drivers

* Housing: Ceramic housing with aluminum nozzle

* Frequency Response: 18Hz – 20KHz

* Sensitivity: 98 dB

* Maximum Power Input: 5 mW

* Connector: 3 pin stereo 3.5mm gold plated 90° plug

* Cable: solid color 130 cm cord (51 in) with attached shirt clip

* Accessories: 4 sets of eartips (small/medium/large silicon; bi-flange), clamshell zipper case

Description - Ceramic housing looks as great as it sounds! The CC51 uses a new 6.0mm micro-driver that delivers full, accurate, detailed sound and, when housed in the ceramic housing, eliminates resonance that might cause distortion-inducing harmonics. Due to the driver being located very close to the ear, driver size does not limit reproduction of full range sound. Ceramic is an extremely hard, durable material that does not resonate like other housings, resulting in a very clean, clear, ear-pleasing sound, while looking fantastic and holding up extremely well to wear and tear.

A151

DVOOP.jpg

Specs:

* Driver: Single micro balanced armature

* Housing: High impact deco housing with angled fit

* Sensitivity: 111 dB

* Impedance: 27 ohms

* Maximum Power Input: 25 mW

* Connector: 3 pin stereo 3.5mm gold plated straight plug

* Cable: Twisted black XXX cm cable (XX in)

* Accessories: 5 sets of eartips (small/medium/large silicon; double-flange; large triple flange), clamshell zipper case

Description - The A151 isn't all about stylish looks, it also brings detail and accuracy balanced armatures are known for! Speaking of sound, the detailed and accurate presentation still has deep bass you know you want to hear! Classy comes to mind when looking at the black housing with chrome accents while using an equally exquisite soft and flexible twisted cable. Designed to be worn over the ear with an angled fit, the A151 gives you hours of comfort making it easy to forget these are in your ears, well, except for the great sound you are hearing!

Totakeke

Totakeke said:
Did you check out the reviews for that? My friend who bought bose, monster, and atomic floyd before asked me about those too and I automatically assumed that they were in the same pile of crap audio equipment you should never buy. ;p

Quick search reveals

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/482817/review-b-w-bowers-wilkins-p5-headphones

I've read the reviews. Head-Fi mostly doesn't like them but a lot of "regular consumer" outlets praise them. Also, I have tried them personally and I liked the sound. I am not a head-fi type of consumer, and doubt that I could ever be able to analyze a pair of headphones on the insanely detailed level those guys do.

HiResDes

@ $300 I'd definitely advise against them, but at $150 it doesn't seem like a terrible deal...Although I'd definitely go with a more trusted brand.

HiResDes said:
@ $300 I'd definitely advise against them, but at $150 it doesn't seem like a terrible deal...Although I'd definitely go with a more trusted brand.

Yeah there was no way in hell I would buy them for $300. Besides being out of my budget, there are definitely better headphones at that price point. But compare these to any pair of MSRP $150 cans and they will certainly be better.

Another benefit is that they are really comfortable. I only listened to them for about 5-10 minutes but they were great feeling.

Totakeke

StrikerObi said:
I've read the reviews. Head-Fi mostly doesn't like them but a lot of "regular consumer" outlets praise them. Also, I have tried them personally and I liked the sound. I am not a head-fi type of consumer, and doubt that I could ever be able to analyze a pair of headphones on the insanely detailed level those guys do.

Well if you like it, then it's all good. Have fun with your purchase!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Totakeke said:
Doesn't sound like those reviews come from people who work with headphones a lot. No denying its style, but sounds like a listen before you buy thing to me at least.
StrikerObi said:
Yeah there was no way in hell I would buy them for $300. Besides being out of my budget, there are definitely better headphones at that price point. But compare these to any pair of MSRP $150 cans and they will certainly be better.
Another benefit is that they are really comfortable. I only listened to them for about 5-10 minutes but they were great feeling.
That's what I'm thinking. Down in that range, Sennheiser PX200 II would probably be better sound-wise, but those are not very isolating. Isolating portables are a slim selection, with the best being back up in the higher range like the Sennheiser HD25-1 II or Phiaton PS500s... but after double checking those on Amazon just now it seems prices are dropping and maybe I should shut up. :D

Anyway they don't seem like a bad deal at $150 and if you personally like the sound and they are comfortable, that's what matters.

Dice said:
That's what I'm thinking. Down in that range, Sennheiser PX200 II would probably be better sound-wise, but those are not very isolating. Isolating portables are a slim selection, with the best being back up in the higher range like the Sennheiser HD25-1 II or Phiaton PS500s... but after double checking those on Amazon just now it seems prices are dropping and maybe I should shut up. :D

Anyway they don't seem like a bad deal at $150 and if you personally like the sound and they are comfortable, that's what matters.

I would have bought the Phiaton MS300s in a heartbeat but they didn't have a detachable cable, and no iPhone control option. I was pissed, because other than that they had everything I wanted in a pair of cans. They even fold up nice (better than the P5s, which only flatten out). My bag is big enough to hold the P5s though. The noise-canceling model had iPhone controls, but those are $300 (retail $240) which was out of my budget.

I don't understand why manufactures don't all use detachable cables. They are easily replaceable and if you accidentally have your foot on the cable and stand up, they will simply detach (like an original Xbox break-away cable), and they won't rip your cans off your head. This one simple design feature greatly reduces the chance of serious damage, and lets the user replace the cable with their own if they want to switch from straight to coiled, or to a cable with in-line controls. It is a win-win. A pair of headphones with a yanked cable is just another warranty claim the company needs to pay for. Switch to detachable, and that goes away.

JDeluis

When I purchased my iPhone this past year I have been searching for some earphones with mic, but have had a difficult time deciding on which to purchase. I've been using my MEElectronics M9 which I really enjoy. All this time I've been wishing they sold the M9 with a mic and today I finally decided to view MEElectronics website and finally found out they do sell them.

MEElectronics M9P-BK $16.99 (Silver: $14.99)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038W0K20/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or should I go for the MEElectronics M11P+BK $54.66
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VYB8ZI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I do love the bass on the M9.

Dice

I'm not much for IEMs but I want to try those wood CW31s.

StrikerObi said:
I don't understand why manufactures don't all use detachable cables. They are easily replaceable and if you accidentally have your foot on the cable and stand up, they will simply detach (like an original Xbox break-away cable), and they won't rip your cans off your head. This one simple design feature greatly reduces the chance of serious damage, and lets the user replace the cable with their own if they want to switch from straight to coiled, or to a cable with in-line controls. It is a win-win. A pair of headphones with a yanked cable is just another warranty claim the company needs to pay for. Switch to detachable, and that goes away.
I know, right?! It bugs me more the more expensive they are. Not only is the cord the least expensive and most likely to be damaged part, but when you get into the $500 range you're working with people who really like to customize their sound and may want to try different cables.

Dice said:
I'm not much for IEMs but I want to try those wood CW31s.

I know, right?! It bugs me more the more expensive they are. Not only is the cord the least expensive and most likely to be damaged part, but when you get into the $500 range you're working with people who really like to customize their sound and may want to try different cables.

The P5s have a swappable cable, but I wouldn't exactly call it "detachable". It plugs into the headphones like a normal cable does, but the jack is hidden underneath the ear pad. You have to take it off and press a switch to release it. As such, if you stand up with your foot on the cord, you might still do some damage. But at least the cable can still be easily swapped if you want.

2XHk.png

Also what's the deal with manufacturers still making two-cable headphones? All decently sized on/over-ear cans should be single-cable. The $15 POS street-style headphones that came with my 1997 Sony Discman had a single-cable. Get with the times!

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm still lovin' my AD700's after a year, but I'm often tempted to buy another pair of headphones with more bass just to compare (such as dt770 or m50). I just wish there was a place where I could go and try out more high-end headphones. I've never heard Grados, Sennheisers, Beyerdynamic, AKG's, etc...

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
celcius said:
I'm still lovin' my AD700's after a year, but I'm often tempted to buy another pair of headphones with more bass just to compare (such as dt770 or m50). I just wish there was a place where I could go and try out more high-end headphones. I've never heard Grados, Sennheisers, Beyerdynamic, AKG's, etc...

Yeah, I'm in the same situation. AD700s are the only headphones in a long time that I can actual wear for more than 30 minutes. They're very comfortable for my big head. I had issues with the ATHM50 and couldn't stand wearing them after 5 minutes of use and ended up giving it to my little brother. The one that I have my eye on is the AKG 701s and not because it was in K-on :D

Totakeke

While this is a thread about headphones, you can always change your source and amp too which are all equally important.

HiResDes

JDeluis said:
When I purchased my iPhone this past year I have been searching for some earphones with mic, but have had a difficult time deciding on which to purchase. I've been using my MEElectronics M9 which I really enjoy. All this time I've been wishing they sold the M9 with a mic and today I finally decided to view MEElectronics website and finally found out they do sell them.

MEElectronics M9P-BK $16.99 (Silver: $14.99)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038W0K20/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or should I go for the MEElectronics M11P+BK $54.66
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VYB8ZI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I do love the bass on the M9.

You might as well wait for the M31 to see how it pans out.

LCfiner

celcius said:

as an AD700 owner I can tell you that a simple, inexpensive cmoy amp (or any amp that emphasizes low end) does wonders to the bass response of the AD700. it's not overpowering but it's way more noticeable than the default setup from a basic headphone port.

You may already have an amp, I don't know. but if you don't, you can kick a little more bass from those phones for around 50 bucks.

Ashhong

hi guys :D

these are so goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

small thing though, i hear a lot of static feedback when i plug it into my computer headphone jack. what to do?

Dice

Ashhong said:
small thing though, i hear a lot of static feedback when i plug it into my computer headphone jack. what to do?
First, check to see if your mic is turned on in sound mixer under recording devices. If it is, mute it.

If that isn't it... get a DAC, I guess.

Totakeke

Ashhong said:

Only when you plug in? Mute or turn the volume down before you plug it in.

Ashhong

Totakeke said:
Only when you plug in? Mute or turn the volume down before you plug it in.

Disabled my mic, still have the sound. It's probably a grounding issue or something inside the case, no big deal. Can't hear it with music.

It's constant in the background, just a white noise. Oh well.

Now...anybody have tips on setting equalizers for winamp or iTunes? A little more bass would be nice

Totakeke

Ashhong said:
Disabled my mic, still have the sound. It's probably a grounding issue or something inside the case, no big deal. Can't hear it with music.

It's constant in the background, just a white noise. Oh well.

Now...anybody have tips on setting equalizers for winamp or iTunes? A little more bass would be nice

Get a DAC or a new soundcard, it's a sign that your current one sucks. :)

DSK123

Neo Member
Ashhong said:

Are you using onboard audio? I used to hear static but after upgrading to the Xonar Essence ST it's dead silent now.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
LCfiner said:
as an AD700 owner I can tell you that a simple, inexpensive cmoy amp (or any amp that emphasizes low end) does wonders to the bass response of the AD700. it's not overpowering but it's way more noticeable than the default setup from a basic headphone port.

You may already have an amp, I don't know. but if you don't, you can kick a little more bass from those phones for around 50 bucks.

You can get the uDAC 2 HP for $100. I'm using the regular uDAC 2 on my AD700's and it helped the bass quite a bit. Turn the volume up a bit more and you can actually "feel" it a bit too. It doesn't change the headphone into a bass machine, but it makes a difference.

Ashhong

DSK123 said:
Are you using onboard audio? I used to hear static but after upgrading to the Xonar Essence ST it's dead silent now.

Yea thats probably why. It's too inconvenient to plug into the sound card on the back. I'm actually using the front audio jack that comes with the case :) Maybe I'll get an extension cord or something so I can plug into the back

Actually, I have a weird setup, but I have my stereo plugged into my comp and output from the speakers. I just plugged into the headphone jack on my stereo and it sounds so much better :D

HiResDes

Here are my iTunes Equalizer Settings - Just adjust the first few for more bass

32: -8
64: -4
125: -2
250: -4
500: -8
1K: -9
2K: -6
4K: -2
8K: 0
16K: -3

DSK123

Neo Member
Ashhong said:
Yea thats probably why. It's too inconvenient to plug into the sound card on the back. I'm actually using the front audio jack that comes with the case :) Maybe I'll get an extension cord or something so I can plug into the back

Actually, I have a weird setup, but I have my stereo plugged into my comp and output from the speakers. I just plugged into the headphone jack on my stereo and it sounds so much better :D
That's actually the only problem I have now with my new card. An extension cord for sure is looking like a great investment!

MrBig

I can't hear any static through just my laptop with the M50's. Highs get clearer and it generally sounds better when plugged in to my receiver (laptop>HDMI>TV>Optical>receiver).
It sounds great through my zune, though a bit recessed I guess is the word for how it sounds through that.

Ashhong

HiResDes said:

Thanks. Seems like with yours I have to increase the volume quite a bit. Would it be the same sound if I increase all of your numbers by say, 5?

Time for fun! Does anybody else want to post their settings? Maybe you Dice? I wanna know what I should be listening to Kpop with

HiResDes said:

true story: Kanye's new album forced me to adjust everything with 0 as my baseline like you do. I had never done it before. But that album is so fucking atrociously mastered, adding any db at all just causes sound distortion.

AND WHY THE FUCK AM I STILL AT THE OFFICE. I NEED TO GET TO MY NEW CANS. THEY DO NOT DESERVE TO BE FORCED TO SIT ON THE PORCH FOR 8 HOURS!

Dice

Well I don't have your sound card or headphones so my settings would mean something completely different for you.

First thing I would do is burn them in. Just leave them running with music of all types, off your head, at a level that is loud but not painful for your ears. Do this for say, 40 hours? The characteristics should be opened and well settled at that point. Then you can start playing with EQ yourself to learn where the different frequencies rest in the sound and get a concept of what you want to be changing. Some people are really against playing with EQ but that is what different models of headphones are doing anyway. If stuff sounds good to you, that is what matters, and if you don't have money to be messing with new hardware, EQ is the way to get it closer to your ideal.

Danoss

I don't see what copying someone else's EQ settings achieves; since the effect is different with each pair of speakers/headphones. If they're lacking bass, give it a bit of a nudge up in that area, if the treble is a but too much, dial it back and so on.

EDIT: Beaten.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I have the ATH-AD700's. The Sound Stage on them is unreal.

If I had the disposable income I'd probably get a pair of those white akg headphones.

Top Bottom