• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Ashhong

Dice said:
Well I don't have your sound card or headphones so my settings would mean something completely different for you.

First thing I would do is burn them in. Just leave them running with music of all types, off your head, at a level that is loud but not painful for your ears. Do this for say, 40 hours? The characteristics should be opened and well settled at that point. Then you can start playing with EQ yourself to learn where the different frequencies rest in the sound and get a concept of what you want to be changing. Some people are really against playing with EQ but that is what different models of headphones are doing anyway. If stuff sounds good to you, that is what matters, and if you don't have money to be messing with new hardware, EQ is the way to get it closer to your ideal.

Good point. I feel like I'm so unfamiliar with what I'm listening to, that I just want to put in some settings that are supposed to be good and get used to that.

I guess I got too used to burning in my TV. I don't really notice a difference but I put in reference settings and tell myself "yea, thats how its supposed to look" :lol

Danoss

Totakeke said:
Well there's also another school of thought that no EQ is the best, so it's not something you have to do.
I agree with that. With no EQ you're hearing the music as intended with only the colouration of the equipment that you have chosen. You just have to be more picky with the equipment you choose and have it suit well to your tastes.

HiResDes

Dreams-Visions said:
true story: Kanye's new album forced me to adjust everything with 0 as my baseline like you do. I had never done it before. But that album is so fucking atrociously mastered, adding any db at all just causes sound distortion.

AND WHY THE FUCK AM I STILL AT THE OFFICE. I NEED TO GET TO MY NEW CANS. THEY DO NOT DESERVE TO BE FORCED TO SIT ON THE PORCH FOR 8 HOURS!
Word. I listen to a lot of witch house, and it sounds ten times better like this.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ashhong said:
I guess I got too used to burning in my TV. I don't really notice a difference but I put in reference settings and tell myself "yea, thats how its supposed to look" :lol
Yeah, sound is much more personal, and there is a psychological aspect. Something like TV settings for watching films is more standard, it's about accuracy. The things you do with headphones and sound settings is like the choices the person who directed the films made. It's taking something which occurred and being forced to give it a particular interpretation through the hardware and processing you select. There are some general standards by which people master recordings, but it is still rather dynamic, and taking that into the realm of listening is even more so.

That said, you also bring up an interesting point. You can get used to one type of sound and become biased towards it. Some people like things more open, others like things more forward, some like things smooth and sweet, others like them super detailed and cold. Our ears are a lot more uniform genetically than say, our sense of smell, but the experience is still one far more personalized than eyesight. I think part of this is because you can't take a still picture of sound. It is always moving, it's a living experience, and the nature of your experience listening to it and how it moves you will always be the primary factor in evaluating it.

These kinds of thoughts on how much individuality there is in listening really trouble me as someone who endeavors to produce music at some point. :lol

Ashhong

Very good info Dice, thanks!

And Dreams-visions, I never knew WTF you were complaining about with the Kanye album....but I do now. Holy shit what the hell happened?! So much distortion in Monster :(

poweld

Ashhong said:
hi guys :D

these are so goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

small thing though, i hear a lot of static feedback when i plug it into my computer headphone jack. what to do?
Please, please, please get yourself a DAC if you can afford to. Clean signal trumps (almost) everything else.

Alucrid

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
true story: Kanye's new album forced me to adjust everything with 0 as my baseline like you do. I had never done it before. But that album is so fucking atrociously mastered, adding any db at all just causes sound distortion.

AND WHY THE FUCK AM I STILL AT THE OFFICE. I NEED TO GET TO MY NEW CANS. THEY DO NOT DESERVE TO BE FORCED TO SIT ON THE PORCH FOR 8 HOURS!

Should have taken a sick day. :lol

Tomorrow is pay check day. Then another two weeks and I can do it.

WA6 and HD650s.

Unless I decide to buy a Subwoofer instead.

Decisions decisions...

Davidion

Dreams-Visions said:

You should always EQ down, not up.

poweld said:
Please, please, please get yourself a DAC if you can afford to. Clean signal trumps (almost) everything else.

Listen to this man. If you can go optical, DO IT.

poweld

Alucrid said:
Should have taken a sick day. :lol

Tomorrow is pay check day. Then another two weeks and I can do it.

WA6 and HD650s.

Unless I decide to buy a Subwoofer instead.

Decisions decisions...
Or buy my 600's and let me get 650's :D

Ashhong

poweld said:

quick google shows DAC at over $100? I do not have the money :lol

the only thing im planning to add is an E5, but thats after i get tired of this amazing new quality in sound. then ill add the amp and be blown away again

Davidion said:
You should always EQ down, not up.

Whats the reasoning behind this?

HiResDes

Ashhong said:
quick google shows DAC at over $100? I do not have the money :lol

the only thing im planning to add is an E5, but thats after i get tired of this amazing new quality in sound. then ill add the amp and be blown away again

Whats the reasoning behind this?
Distortion...And honestly you should hold out for an E7 as you can use it both as a DAC and an amp, plus there is this LOD cable you buy to use it's line out.

Ashhong

HiResDes said:
Distortion...And honestly you should hold out for an E7 as you can use it both as a DAC and an amp, plus there is this LOD cable you buy to use it's line out.

well shit, guess i should turn down these EQ then. I didn't like that i had to turn the volume up louder when i put the EQ lower.

i'll cross the amp bridge when i get to it...in at least 6 months probably

MrBig

Just a small update on my M50's. After 6 hours straight with them on they are still comfortable, though the top of my ear has recently started to feel a bit pinched, probably from repeatedly leaning back and forth. They don't fall of but they don't clamp hard either. Isolation is good. Plenty of sound leakage at higher listening levels so other people would be able to hear if the room were quiet.
Bass is amazing to me though it takes a bit to fade.
Sounds much better when amped but it doesn't need it.

poweld

Ashhong said:
well shit, guess i should turn down these EQ then. I didn't like that i had to turn the volume up louder when i put the EQ lower.

i'll cross the amp bridge when i get to it...in at least 6 months probably
That e5+e9 (or whatever) DAC+amp deal seems pretty wonderful for the price. And yes, EQ should go down, not up.

Chorazin

I have a Sennheiser HD 595 set that have sat unused for almost 2 years now, and I think it's time to unload them. I only used them for maybe 20 or 30 hours, and they are in mint condition. I have the hanging cradle, but I don't think I have the original box any longer. Anyone interested? I'm looking for maybe $115 shipped. I have plenty of feedback in the B/S/T trade thread and perfect eBay feedback.

MrBig said:
Just a small update on my M50's. After 6 hours straight with them on they are still comfortable, though the top of my ear has recently started to feel a bit pinched, probably from repeatedly leaning back and forth. They don't fall of but they don't clamp hard either. Isolation is good. Plenty of sound leakage at higher listening levels so other people would be able to hear if the room were quiet.
Bass is amazing to me though it takes a bit to fade.
Sounds much better when amped but it doesn't need it.
Thanks for the impressions. I really have been spoiled by my 595s.
I want to get some decent quality closed headphones with a similar level of comfort to my 595s (I assume this is an impossibility though?) can anyone tell me how the Sony MDR-VR6 are in that regard? Any other suggestions?

HiResDes

_dementia said:
Thanks for the impressions. I really have been spoiled by my 595s.
I want to get some decent quality closed headphones with a similar level of comfort to my 595s (I assume this is an impossibility though?) can anyone tell me how the Sony MDR-VR6 are in that regard? Any other suggestions?
The tight clamp on the MDR-V6s are going to whoop your ass...:lol

I seriously think that Beyerdynamic makes the most comfortable closed cans under $300, but the sound signature may not be to your liking.

I'd maybe check out the AKG K271 MKII if the price isn't too steep.

vertopci

Any headphones with as good a soundstage as the ATH-AD700s and with fuzzy earpieces under 200 dollars? Currently have the ATH-AD700 and am looking to upgrade.

HiResDes

vertopci said:
Any headphones with as good a soundstage as the ATH-AD700s and with fuzzy earpieces under 200 dollars? Currently have the ATH-AD700 and am looking to upgrade.
You have the open version I'm guessing, right? Why not just get the AD900s? :lol :

vertopci

HiResDes said:
You have the open version I'm guessing, right? Why not just get the AD900s? :lol :

Those are way over my budget otherwise I would. I absolutely love the comfyness of the AD700s :lol

HiResDes said:

I seriously think that Beyerdynamic makes the most comfortable closed cans under $300, but the sound signature may not be to your liking.

I'd maybe check out the AKG K271 MKII if the price isn't too steep.
Thanks, I'll research these

HiResDes

vertopci said:
Those are way over my budget otherwise I would. I absolutely love the comfyness of the AD700s :lol

You can checkout the AKG K601, but I don't think are nearly as comfy, and the bass might be too lean for you. If I were you I'd just wait until the prices on the AD900 come down or you get enough money.

vertopci

HiResDes said:
You can checkout the AKG K601, but I don't think are nearly as comfy, and the bass might be too lean for you. If I were you I'd just wait until the prices on the AD900 come down or you get enough money.

Don't suppose you know how the soundstage on the K601 compares to the ATH-AD700/900?

HiResDes

vertopci said:
Don't suppose you know how the soundstage on the K601 compares to the ATH-AD700/900?

About the same, although it's not going to be exact you know...Everyone has different ears. The real advantage of the K601 is in its detail. The mids and especially the treble of the AKG brand are what keep people coming back.

So in the end I got the £80 Etymotics. Seems strange to spend the most I've ever spent on headphones on a brand I'd never heard of but whatever, I trust Gaf.

They're so good! In HMV there were the £50, £80 and £130 options in the same range. I'm no audiophile so just went with the middle option. The noise cancellation is amazing on them. I can have ear-hurtingly loud music and people next to me hear absolutely nothing. So good when on the bus/in the car.

They're a little quiet, but the noise-cancellation more than makes up for it. If I turn my iPod slightly lower than full volume the sound is perfect, but it would have been nice to have had the option to crank it up to 11 if I ever needed to.

Still, these are the best headphones I've ever had by far and the best thing is I purchased a one year warranty which covers accidental damage - so if I ever fancy an upgrade I can 'accidentally' break them and get the £130 ones for £50 :lol

Thanks a lot to HiResDes for recommending them.

vertopci

HiResDes said:
About the same, although it's not going to be exact you know...Everyone has different ears. The real advantage of the K601 is in its detail. The mids and especially the treble of the AKG brand are what keep people coming back.

Thanks for the help. I'll probably wait for the ATH-AD900s to drop in price since I know that I'll like them whereas I might not like the sound of the AKGs. Wish there was a store around my area where I could test them out at :(

poweld

vertopci said:
Thanks for the help. I'll probably wait for the ATH-AD900s to drop in price since I know that I'll like them whereas I might not like the sound of the AKGs. Wish there was a store around my area where I could test them out at :(
Dawg, AKG's are luscious. I'm sure you can find a place to demo if you really look hard enough, but I know it isn't easy.

HiResDes

poweld said:
Dawg, AKG's are luscious. I'm sure you can find a place to demo if you really look hard enough, but I know it isn't easy.
Dude you have K701's don't you, those are nice as fuck.

@Cole - That puts a smile on my face, I was worried the leanness of the bass was going to be off-putting for you, but I'm glad to hear it wasn't

poweld

HiResDes said:
Dude you have K701's don't you, those are nice as fuck.
702's, effectively the same thing, and they sure are! In the words of Ferris, "If you have the means, I highly recommend you picking one up"

Yoyo.

:D

Immediate things I'm noticing:

HD650's - Holy shit, they require a lot of power! I have to max out the volume on my E7 and MacBook Pro, but it does get loud enough. These definitely grip the head. Gonna need to try them on a better amp. unfortunately, I sent my E9 to the wrong address, so it'll be awhile before I can try them out in the comfort of my own home with adequate amps. I might stroll over to the local Sam Ashe and run them out of their stuff. Oh, and now I know what it means to have an "open can". LOL @ isolation...and I definitely won't be jamming to Kanye when visiting family. :lol I'm finding the bass to be of acceptable quantity stock. Highs are smooth enough for me. Not shrill, which I always worry about. In fact, the highs are just spectacular. Listening to Lisa Gerrard in 'Gortoz A Ran' made me realize it. They're just amazing in that way. Best highs and clarity I've ever heard. They are NOT, however, the cans I'd want to go to for hip-hop or any kind of pop where I need/want to feel the rhythm. If they were my only cans, they'd be fine, but they're not so I wouldn't go to them. They're okay for that, but it's clearly not their strong suit. At least, not based on my current setup.

Concerns - Well the reason I've been so interested in the 650's is because I've been really interested in the increased sound stage that is supposed to accompany open cans and figured I mine as well get one of the best open cans if I'm going to do it. I'm not really sensing a significant improvement in sound stage broadness. Without that, I feel like a lot of the point is lost. Their clarity is the difference-maker right now. and they have just enough bass to keep me from wanting to put something else on my head.

D7000's - Require much less power to drive than the 650's. Like, 40% less to reach the same volume levels. I assume they are of the same impedance as the D5000/2000. Much better cable than the D5000/2000. Not stiff. From what I can tell driving them off my E7...I can't tell that much difference between them and the D5K/2K. They have less and slightly faster bass. But with that said, there is still considerably more bass than the HD650's. So pop, hip-hop, r&b and the like sound much more filling...and subsequently, fulfilling.

Concerns - Beyond that, I'm not hearing a lot to differentiate them from the others in the Denon lineup. I don't consider that a good start for the D7000s.

But again, I don't have my upgraded amp, so my judgement will be delayed until about this time next week...or unless I can post up at Sam Ashe for a few hours and do some work there while I experiment. I'm really surprised that the 650's need so much power. Not a problem, just didn't expect that they'd need more than the D7K's.

*all of these comments are while listening to them without any EQ or bass boosting from the E7. I'm sure the HD650's can satisfy my bass urges if I'm willing to EQ them. I'm not sure if the D7000s can reach the HD650's clarity. that may be a function of them being closed. I'm not sure.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I've heard HD650's are supposed to be the best (if not one of the best) all around cans at that price - if properly amped. I want to hear your impressions with them once you get your amp and a few more hours clocked.

poweld

Yeah, I think you'll notice a big difference when you get better amping. The 600's and 650's are notoriously power hungry. If by saying you can't "feel the rhythm" you mean that the lows and mids are punchy enough, I'm sure that's due to insufficient amping. Glad you're digging them overall, though.

dazed808

HiResDes said:

Depends on the size of your head really. Until I got my HD600's, the V6's were by far the most comfortable 'phones I've worn, though I did swap out the pleather pads for the Beyer 250 pads straight away so that may have made a difference.

The V6's are great closed 'phones but if you're sensitive to treble you really have to EQ them down or they are headache inducing.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm totally satisfied with how amazing the RE-ZERO sounds, but this you guys make me want to constantly upgrade my kit.

I hate love this thread. Hopefully the TMA-1 can cure this rampant upgraditis.

Did I mention how good the RE-ZERO is? It's pretty good.

ALSO: You guys blew my mind, with the whole "EQ down, not up" discussion. I'd never read that before, and I have no idea where to start.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
_dementia said:
My RE-Zero uses a 3.5mm plug
You have the RE0, while I have the RE-ZERO. The ZERO is a tweaked version.

The ZERO does have a balanced plug, but it comes with a short 3.5mm adapter. It's a non-issue.

Eric WK

Anybody interested in a pair of Sennheiser HD555s? Still in like new condition with original box and still under warranty.

joesmokey

longdi

Banned
I just ordered the DT990 250ohm from Amazon for $180....is it a good decision? I missed the HD595 deal and AHD2000 prices have gone up...AKG701 is out of my budget...coming from an old PX200 where will i be standing? I have 2 days before Amazon starts shipping..

Totakeke

longdi said:
I just ordered the DT990 250ohm from Amazon for $180....is it a good decision? I missed the HD595 deal and AHD2000 prices have gone up...AKG701 is out of my budget...coming from an old PX200 where will i be standing? I have 2 days before Amazon starts shipping..

Wow, damn. That IS a good price.

I haven't been following a while, but HD650, DT880, DT990, K701/702 was always compared around with each other and they're in the same league but each with their own sound.

Oh and, start looking for an amp, preferably not the small portable kind.

ngower

Any recommendations for an upgrade under $150? I've got a pair of HD555's that I toss around like a cheap whore, and they're starting to loosen up like one too! They're still my preferred beach or road trip cans, but I want something to pair with my hi-fi system at home. Is it even worth it for something at this price point, or should I just keep abusing my wench until I can afford something better?

Top Bottom