• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Recon

Banned
I just ordered these. I have a pair of Sony MDR-7506, so I wanted something with a little more bass for use outside of recording. Are the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 considered pretty good? I saw they were fairly well reviewed, anyone try them?

Lucario

I.... how does this work, GAF?

After around a month, my Sennheisers sound....different.

Someone explain burn-in to me, because I did not believe it at all when I first heard about it, and now I'm hearing a far different sound signature from this set (HD598). It's unbelievable.

I love these headphones. <3

Also, advice time: I bought my boyfriend a pair of CX 880s for christmas, because I got a really good deal on them ($50 new from amazon on black friday, WOO!)

The issue is, I can't find out shit about them. Not even a frequency graph. I hear good things (except from the morons on amazon who want MORE BASS LOL), but I'd feel awful if I got him something with inherent flaws.

Geneijin

Now, obviously I'd never buy a $4000 DAC/amp for a $150 pair of headphones, but it was a complete revelation as to just how good headphones can sound. I honestly have trouble comprehending how good the HD800 might sound by comparison.
I think it also goes to show how much a good source will scale as much as a good headphone will i.e. HD650.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
I hear good things (except from the morons on amazon who want MORE BASS LOL), but I'd feel awful if I got him something with inherent flaws.
Why are people who want more bass morons :/

TheExodu5

Banned
So, any recommendations on a good amp/DAC for the K701/K702?

Not sure what I want to spend yet...will look at options ranging from $200-1000.

Think about it, and if you decide you want them, just send me a pm with locations details and all that jazz.

Here are my thoughts about them

mmmm I think ill bite. Ill PM you in abit.

You mention using EQ and ive never really bothered before. Should I? I really only listen to electronic music (dubstep/garage/house) and I can never decide on a setting for fear of it messing with how it was supposed to be heard.

Stuff like this for example (Burial/Four Tet-Wolf)

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Beyer DT770 pro 80s for 50$ barely used, should i bite? I've been on the hunt for some closed headphones to use during the day since my HD 555 aren't cutting it when i have family watching tv in the living room.

Also i know the deal is good, kind of just want some thoughts people have on the DT770s.

LCfiner

So, any recommendations on a good amp/DAC for the K701/K702?

Not sure what I want to spend yet...will look at options ranging from $200-1000.

You may want to consider the new Burson 160DS. it gets rid of the pre-amp and the stepped attenuator from the 160D and offers an awesome amp and well respected DAC in a solid enclosure for around 900 dollars.

I can vouch for the quality of the amp portion, having owned one before. Very powerful.

Or maybe get the Icon HDP. full amp/dac/preamp and has lots of power. well respected and half the price of the Burson option.

TheExodu5

Banned
Beyer DT770 pro 80s for 50$ barely used, should i bite? I've been on the hunt for some closed headphones to use during the day since my HD 555 aren't cutting it when i have family watching tv in the living room.

Also i know the deal is good, kind of just want some thoughts people have on the DT770s.

Lots of people like them and that's a pretty fantastic price.

Personally though, I owned them for a short period and I didn't like them at all. Pretty boomy on the lower end, with not much midrange to speak of. I much prefer my HFI-580.

Still, can't go too wrong for $50.

leng jai

You may want to consider the new Burson 160DS. it gets rid of the pre-amp and the stepped attenuator from the 160D and offers an awesome amp and well respected DAC in a solid enclosure for around 900 dollars.

I can vouch for the quality of the amp portion, having owned one before. Very powerful.

Or maybe get the Icon HDP. full amp/dac/preamp and has lots of power. well respected and half the price of the Burson option.

The Burson is definitely a good match for the K702. I'm not a fan of combo units so I'd buy separate but its personal preference really.

Lucario

Why are people who want more bass morons :/

Nothing wrong with liking louder bass (I love it when listening, boosted bass sounds better to me. But my bf listens to soundtracks/country more than I do, so I think I'd rather get him sennheisers, which usually aim to have as flat of a response graph as possible). Giving something a poor review on amazon because you want an unbalanced EQ is pretty moronic though. The point is that amazon reviewers usually have no idea what they're talking about, don't wait for sets to burn in, and complain if bass isn't unrealistically loud, so you can pretty much completely disregard reviews there.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Lots of people like them and that's a pretty fantastic price.

Personally though, I owned them for a short period and I didn't like them at all. Pretty boomy on the lower end, with not much midrange to speak of. I much prefer my HFI-580.

Still, can't go too wrong for $50.

Thanks for the impressions.

Even if i'm not a fan of these cans, I can probably get rid of them for more then what i'm getting them for anyway.

HiResDes

mmmm I think ill bite. Ill PM you in abit.

You mention using EQ and ive never really bothered before. Should I? I really only listen to electronic music (dubstep/garage/house) and I can never decide on a setting for fear of it messing with how it was supposed to be heard.

Stuff like this for example (Burial/Four Tet-Wolf)

They're pretty much unbeatable for that use unless you want with something as high tier as the Sennheiser IE8 or Radius DDM. I'll figure everything out tomorrow, and let you know how much shipping will be...If it's more than ten dollars I'll adjust the price to make sure you're not paying over $50. I just want my earphones to have a good home, and hearing that you're into stuff like Burial just seems perfect. I don't use them as much I used to, so I feel like they're being wasted.

Uh...did you not do any research before buying them?

Of course I did. Was more looking for confirmation than anything else, since, like I said, I'm new to the DAC/amp game. Thanks, LCfiner.

Also, once again, for anyone looking to step up to a HD 650 - they are pretty incredible. Bass response is starting to really pick up after a week of ownership too.

TheExodu5

Banned
The Burson is definitely a good match for the K702. I'm not a fan of combo units so I'd buy separate but its personal preference really.

Yeah maybe I'm better getting a separate DAC and amp. As for the Burson...not sure how I feel about paying $1000 for a DAC that doesn't support 24/192 over USB. It points towards them using the built-in Windows USB driver which, with my experience with the expensive DACs my dad's been auditioning, is not a good sign.

I suppose I could live with outputting over TOSlink or coaxial, but then I'm probably looking at getting a decent sound card as well to diminish jitter.

Maybe I should just pick up a Xonar STX for the time being and go for the DAC/amp later.

edit: I think I should rethink my stance. I made the mistake of going with "features" with my previous DAC/amp. I'll try to focus on quality and not quantity. The Burson is at the top of the list so far. Not sure if I want to get a separate DAC or just get the combo, though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah, I think I'm pretty much set on the HA-160 Headphone Amp...seems to be exactly what I want. I'll have to get a separate DAC, in that case.

Alucrid

Banned
Of course I did. Was more looking for confirmation than anything else, since, like I said, I'm new to the DAC/amp game. Thanks, LCfiner.

Also, once again, for anyone looking to step up to a HD 650 - they are pretty incredible. Bass response is starting to really pick up after a week of ownership too.

You're not going to be able to amp them efficiently from an iPhone or from an ibasso. Unamped they sounded worse than my M50s.

leng jai

Yeah, I think I'm pretty much set on the HA-160 Headphone Amp...seems to be exactly what I want. I'll have to get a separate DAC, in that case.

In my experience DACs are probably the worst value for money when you get to a certain point in terms of SQ gain. After you get to the $400-500 mark the differences are pretty miniscule in terms of audio. I'm using a DacMagic at the moment (pretty modest $500 DAC) and its done a great job with my Burson/T1 combo.

Apparently the Burson is a fantastic match with the HD800s ;)

Alucrid

Banned
In my experience DACs are probably the worst value for money when you get to a certain point in terms of SQ gain. After you get to the $400-500 mark the differences are pretty miniscule in terms of audio. I'm using a DacMagic at the moment (pretty modest $500 DAC) and its done a great job with my Burson/T1 combo.

Dacmagics are like $400 new, even less used.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm considering just getting a Xonar STX to use as a DAC. TI PCM1792 is supposed to be a decent DAC chip from what I'm reading.

I'm just window shopping, but how are the Sennheiser HD448's compared the Fischer Audio FA-004's? They're both in the same general price range. I'm not looking for something bass heavy, just a more natural sound.

Geneijin

I swear, reading about audio equipment (really, any tech stuff) is dangerous for my wallet :|
Matrix Quattro, Meier Audio Concerto, Red Wine Audio, etc...

I'm just window shopping, but how are the Sennheiser HD448's compared the Fischer Audio FA-004's? They're both in the same general price range. I'm not looking for something bass heavy, just a more natural sound.
If you listen to any owners of any Fischer Audio phone, they'll tell you they're undervalued. In short, FA-004.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Getting a pair of ATH-M50s tomorrow. I've read nothing but great reviews for these.

What can I expect?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just picked up my basically brand new Beyer DT770 Pro 80s right now. 50$ was a steal for these and a plus to my experience was the person selling them was this hot Canadian chick who seems to be an up and coming musician. I was lucky to catch her before she left to Canada so she just wanted the headphones gone asap.

As for the headphones, so far not bad, does isolate pretty well, and the bass hits. These cans are still basically brand new so they need some more breaking in. I hope that the treble calms down a bit as on some tracks it can get a bit sharp for my taste. Overall really satisfied, and happy that i got a great deal.

leng jai

Nope. At they're price point, they're top performers.

Nope. They had their bandwagon when they were $110 which subsequently led to an avalanche of posts saying they were amazing and "the best" cans from people who had never heard anything but stock buds before. At their current price point ($150) there are definitely better alternatives.

TheExodu5

Banned
The HFI-580 are markedly better than the M50 at the same price point. Similar sound signature...just far better soundstage, bass control, and airiness.

Geneijin

When the ATH-M50 was around $100, half the appeal was its price-to-performance ratio and was a prominent reason to why it was often suggested. It was also considered a good all-around phone, and best entry hi-fi cans at the time. Take that advantage price away and it's now competing against other phones within a similar price range. It's easy to see why they aren't mentioned anymore as more A/B comparisons were done, and the results had less to do with the lucrative value of the M50 and more on the qualities of each respective phone.

The HFI-580 are markedly better than the M50 at the same price point. Similar sound signature...just far better soundstage, bass control, and airiness.
Eh, the S-Logic feature is either something you like or not. It's as much of a negative as a positive.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I didn't care for the M50 at all.

At $150 I wouldn't even consider it over the HD25 or TMA-1, even though they cost a little bit more.

Shit the HD25-II is $175 on Amazon right now, and does everything better than the M50.

TheExodu5

Banned
Very different sounding headphones, though. The HD25 are very dark and flat, while the M50 are punchy and bright by comparison.

dmshaposv

Just checked out the TMAs yesterday myself. Really beautiful looking headphones but yeah the bass is too punchy and can see this a hindrance for audio recording.

If you want something that is sweet looking and better than the Beats (much cheaper too), these are the way to go. Slick-ass packaging to boot too.

Honestly, I can't see the TMA-1's doing all that well for audio recording. Their sound signature is very, very dark. Without a doubt the darkest headphone I've ever heard, so they aren't going to bring out a lot of detail. I'd sooner reach for the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II's for professional use.

Hmm...I've seen some reviews compare them favorably to the HD25s or at least at par.

Go with something more neutral with a focus on clarity like the KNS 6400 or the 8400. The 8400's clarity is pretty much unparalleled by any closed headphone within twice it's price range.

This seems more along the lines of what I want. Only thing is there is no KRK reseller in my country and international shipping is a bitch. How would you compare these to the Shure srh840s, which are immediately available where I live?

Sarquiss_

I am looking at buying some headphones for the long train ride to work in the morning. I am looking at ones which cover the entire year and are hopefully closed.

Looking to spend <= AUD$150 + Shipping

I mostly listen to RnB, Rock, Heavy Metal, Rap, Hip Hop, Pop so something which performs good for these types of songs would be the best (Something with a natural sound but with enough bass to do justice to some of the songs)

Just checked out the TMAs yesterday myself. Really beautiful looking headphones but yeah the bass is too punchy and can see this a hindrance for audio recording.

If you want something that is sweet looking and better than the Beats (much cheaper too), these are the way to go. Slick-ass packaging to boot too.

What pisses me off alittle is you lot are saying they are $150 but in the Uk they are £129! Thats like $230!!! :/

dmshaposv

What pisses me off alittle is you lot are saying they are $150 but in the Uk they are £129! Thats like $230!!! :/

I live in Dubai, TMAs are only available in one store and they cost around AED 850. That is essentially $230.

So, I know that feel bro. ;)

BTW, can anyone recognize these headphones from Chase Jarvis' gear?

ChaseJarvis_Dasein_Gear-5-620x492.jpg

They looked like HD280 pros at first, but on further observation the ones in the pic have metal joints...

LCfiner

I got a similar experience. I have had much larger increases (or sidesteps) in sound quality changing headphones than changing amps and more change from new amps than from new DACs.

I like the Burson gear because it's solid and well built. And it did make a difference compared to a Fiio E9. But there are other options out there that will be less expensive and deliver close to the same SQ.

The more I think about it, perhaps an HRT MS2 (for 150 USD) plus a Schiit amp (ranging from 250 to 450. depending on how much power you need) might be a better value.

Krujo

Banned
Anyone know which asus sound card to get? The ST goes for more then the STX on amazon. I would like to use them with my new 650HD until I can afford a better amp.

Top Bottom