• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Totakeke

ngower said:
Any recommendations for an upgrade under $150? I've got a pair of HD555's that I toss around like a cheap whore, and they're starting to loosen up like one too! They're still my preferred beach or road trip cans, but I want something to pair with my hi-fi system at home. Is it even worth it for something at this price point, or should I just keep abusing my wench until I can afford something better?

Dude, DT990 for 180.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I'm receiving a new receiver next week and was wondering if it was any good. It's a JVC Rx 318 receiver that's prob 10 years old but still in great condition . I just looked up the specs for it and I'm not familiar about it. I tried searching about this receiver on head fi but no luck

Here are the specs:
Number of Channels: 2 Channels
Stereo Mode Power: 110 Watt @ 8 ohm, 40 Hz - 20 kHz, THD: 0.9%

Convenience
Speaker Impedance: 8 Ohm · 16 Ohm
Tuner Presets: 40 Channels
Tone Controls: Bass & Treble

I currently own ATH AD700s but planning to upgrade to AKG 701's in the future. Would the receiver be good enough for both of them or would I have to get a stronger one

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Molested like "oooh yeah HJ w/ baby oil", or like "hey, there's some candy in my trunk, go see...", meaning bad?

HiResDes

Totakeke said:
Dude, DT990 for 180.
I"m cosigning the DT990s just on the basis of them being a more neutral and airy version of the comfortable DT770s...Seems like the best of both worlds.

killertofu said:
Well, I guess I just need some time to get used to it. The bass is intense.

I mean there's definitely bass, but I wouldn't describe it as overly intense, you must be a bass-lite kind of a guy.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
got my M9s as well. I still have to get used to the "water in ear" feeling, but they sound great. Even came with a case that fits them with my Sansa Clip.

ijxVT.jpg

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
WTF just happened to my AD700's :lol Using Foobar I just amped the lower end in the EQ and auto leveled the whole bar down. These things have huge bass now with little distortion... hmmm I'm not sure if I like it this way or not, but clearly these headphones are capable of delivering bass.

HiResDes

Extollere said:
WTF just happened to my AD700's :lol Using Foobar I just amped the lower end in the EQ and auto leveled the whole bar down. These things have huge bass now with little distortion... hmmm I'm not sure if I like it this way or not, but clearly these headphones are capable of delivering bass.

I just made the craziest settings ever for the DT770's like it sounds absolutely horrible with everything else...I decreased the mid bass down quite low, and the treble down fairly low as well, and increased the mids up a bunch...

How can I go about outputting a little more sound to the left side of my M50s? I feel like the snare is so much louder on the right side in most the songs I listen to.

MrBig

AvidNobody said:
How can I go about outputting a little more sound to the left side of my M50s? I feel like the snare is so much louder on the right side in most the songs I listen to.
Try looking in your audio driver equalizer settings

e: made a pretty much free headphone hangar
IMG_7520.jpg

IMG_7521.jpg

have my screen cleaner cloth on top of the hook because the edges are a little rough

LCfiner

So yesterday I ordered a pair of Alessandro MS-1i's. I've been curious about this "Grado sound" and the Alessandro's seemed like a good, inexpensive way to try them out. (trying to get a pair of SR60i's for anything close to 70 bucks is damn near impossible)

I was also attracted to the MS-1i's as it seems that they are modified to attenuate sibilant highs that you might find in the lower end Grado's. so let's hope that works out. I'm hoping they make a decent counterpoint to my ESW9's that are closed and very focused on mid-bass and low frequencies. (still love these, btw)

ghostofsparta said:
Can somebody link me to the original post of this picture?

http://assets.head-fi.org/3/33/2000x2000px-LL-33b09470_Portableheadphoneschartljokerl.png[/IG][/QUOTE]
[url]http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-65-portable-headphones-reviewed-tdk-wr700-akg-k430-added-01-08[/url]

SleazyC

Anyone hyped for the Westone 4's that were unveiled at CES? As a UM3X user that plans to get some ES5's sometime this year I may have to make a (very expensive) pitstop and pick them up as all the people who got to listen to them are raving about them so far.

HiResDes

ChoklitReign said:
I'm done with IEMs. Nothing can fit in my fucked up ears. What's the price range for Yuin earbuds? Hopefully for around $50 or less.
$40 at Head-Direct, you guys do know how to use google right? :lol

Totakeke

ChoklitReign said:
I'm done with IEMs. Nothing can fit in my fucked up ears. What's the price range for Yuin earbuds? Hopefully for around $50 or less.

You can always sell your kidney for some molds of your fucked up ears. I bet those would fit perfectly. :)

1stStrike

Banned
lol, good one Alucrid.

I'm listening to my phones for the first time in a couple days. With the winter really bearing down on us it's cold as shit in my basement (58 degrees even with the space heater a foot from me!).

So, I've been on my laptop using the speakers on it. I think I need to look into some new ear buds...

Dyno

Picked these up over the holidays while flying from Rome to Toronto. They have good prices up there in the air!

Bang & Olufsen A8. Really nice, deep sound.

7-bang_olufsen-a8-earphones.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I have a pair of these (ATH-AD700) hooked up to a Xonar DG (Nothing fancy, but the amp is fantastic for me).

When people talk about clarity and soundstage, blah, blah.
These don't feel much different from my old Technics RP-F550's in sound.

Am I doing something wrong or am I just someone who can't really appreciate this stuff?
I've played quite a bit of games and listened to some .flac vs MP3 and I can't really pick up many differences.

I think I might have a preference for more bass (surprising to me) and a warm feel over a clear sound. What might go along with that more than what I have? M50's?

HiResDes

Lambtron said:
All the more reason to not be a dick.
If I apologized for everything I said that's pretty much all I'd spend my time doing...I'm kind of a sassy guy, take it or leave it.

BTW, I must say I do admire 1strike's ability to pretty much make me laugh on cue.

Hazaro said:
I have a pair of these (ATH-AD700) hooked up to a Xonar DG (Nothing fancy, but the amp is fantastic for me).

Am I doing something wrong or am I just someone who can't really appreciate this stuff?
I've played quite a bit of games and listened to some .flac vs MP3 and I can't really pick up many differences.

I think I might have a preference for more bass (surprising to me) and a warm feel over a clear sound. What might go along with that more than what I have? M50's?

Check out the headphones I made in this post, unless you're looking for those of the open variety:

Good Headphones Starting From $50 For Hip-Hop
- From Most Expensive To Least

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (80 OHM)

Sennheiser HD 25

SRH-750DJ

Ultrasone DJ1

M-Audio Q40

Koss ProDJ100

Sony XB500

Alright I've got a question. I was pretty fed up with the sound quality of my iPhone and decided to do some research into getting a significantly better, yet affordable mp3 player. I ended up with the Sandisk Sansa Clip+, it's dirt cheap and people say it sounds great. I need some headphones/IEMs to go with it though. Since I won't be using an extra amplifier they need to be 'low impedance' I guess?

My budget is around 50 euros, I have no real preference for headphones or IEMs, whatever sounds better I think. I've got a WESC set now, and it's garbage, it's also very uncomfortable.

What are my options?

Something like the Maxell dhp-ii?
Or the MEElectronics M11 IEMs?
Anything else?

cindersphere

Neo Member
Hazaro said:

I always thought that the ad700's were a fotm thing at head-fi. Although if you like bass you certainly got the wrong phones.

HiResDes

Fallout-NL said:
Alright I've got a question. I was pretty fed up with the sound quality of my iPhone and decided to do some research into getting a significantly better, yet affordable mp3 player. I ended up with the Sandisk Sansa Clip+, it's dirt cheap and people say it sounds great. I need some headphones/IEMs to go with it though. Since I won't be using an extra amplifier they need to be 'low impedance' I guess?

My budget is around 50 euros, I have no real preference for headphones or IEMs, whatever sounds better I think. I've got a WESC set now, and it's garbage, it's also very uncomfortable.

What are my options?

Something like the Maxell dhp-ii?
Or the MEElectronics M11 IEMs?
Anything else?
Those are good choices, although beware the build quality on the Maxell's is kind of shaky supposedly...

If you want more options check out the budget section of the OP, there are a variety of other decent options within it. I'd especially recommend checking out the Beyerdynamic DT-235s as I think they offer a good value.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
See, I didn't know I liked bass, it's just that I tried a pair of HD202's that I bought for my friend and I was really really surprised at how good they sounded. Went back home and felt a little disappointed.

Mine are clearer, but they lack some oomph behind them. I didn't consider myself one for bass at all which is why I got these in the first place.

If only I could try some different headphones at home :[

RS4-

What's the best I can get for about $150? Last pair of headphones I've owned were the old Sony MDR v700s (I think) for a good 6-7 years until they fell apart on me back in 07/08.

I don't listen to as much music as I used to and I don't listen to anything specific either, pretty much anything as long as it sounds good and whatnot. If it helps, I do listen to stuff ranging from Silversun Pickups to OSTs like Sunshine, Tron Legacy, etc.

Having said that, I only listen to music on my iphone now and I don't really have a demand for clear, clean superior quality when I'm listening to music on my PC, it's just there as something when I'm bored or working.

And the stock iphone earphones don't really sit well in my ears, so I'm most likely looking for good IEMs and open to any suggestions you guys may have. A mic/iphone control would be nice, something like those found on the Klipsch S4i's, but it isn't a dealbreaker.

I am curious about the House of Marley Trenchtown Rock's when they come out though. Unless they're overpriced garbage like the Dr Dre ones.

LCfiner

Yeah, I have the AD-700 and they sound quite nice but the lack of bass is really noticeable. when it's amped, you can get a decent rumble but there's still no impact at all to the music.

it's a good set for chilling out with music when you don't want anything aggressive but I don;t think it's well suited to rock or hip-hop.

RS4- said:
What's the best I can get for about $150? Last pair of headphones I've owned were the old Sony MDR v700s (I think) for a good 6-7 years until they fell apart on me back in 07/08.
<snip>
And the stock iphone earphones don't really sit well in my ears, so I'm most likely looking for good IEMs and open to any suggestions you guys may have. A mic/iphone control would be nice, something like those found on the Klipsch S4i's, but it isn't a dealbreaker.

I am curious about the House of Marley Trenchtown Rock's when they come out though. Unless they're overpriced garbage like the Dr Dre ones.

For that price range in IEM's I would suggest the super.fi 5 vi. I tried these on at a demo booth at Macworld 2 years ago and they sounded fantastic (they were amped but I have no idea with what.)

edit: it seems UE has updated their product line and the super.fi 5 also have the UE 600 and 700 in the same range. but I have not heard those.

HiResDes said:
Those are good choices, although beware the build quality on the Maxell's is kind of shaky supposedly...

If you want more options check out the budget section of the OP, there are a variety of other decent options within it. I'd especially recommend checking out the Beyerdynamic DT-235s as I think they offer a good value.

Alright, I'll check those out. The Beyerdynamic 235s, those work well outdoor btw, with rain and such, or is it better to stick to the in ear option in that case?

HiResDes

Fallout-NL said:
Alright, I'll check those out. The Beyerdynamic 235s, those work well outdoor btw, with rain and such, or is it better to stick to the in ear option in that case?
I don't think they'll break instantly when out in the rain, but yeah you might be better served using in-ears outside or at least a pair of headphones with pleather cushioning.

HiResDes

Hazaro said:
See, I didn't know I liked bass, it's just that I tried a pair of HD202's that I bought for my friend and I was really really surprised at how good they sounded. Went back home and felt a little disappointed.

Mine are clearer, but they lack some oomph behind them. I didn't consider myself one for bass at all which is why I got these in the first place.

Yeah maybe the M50s would be a good choice then, as long as you don't require greatly overpowering bass...They have more than enough oomph.

VALIS

Currently using...

Denon AH-D5000
Denon AH-D2000
AKG K701

Will trade either the 2000s or the AKGs for a pair of high end in-ear monitors. I used to have a great pair of Shure in-ears but stepped on em in the driveway and cracked em into a million pieces. PM if interested. If not I guess I'll just sell them on Amazon.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Hazaro said:

LCfiner said:
Yeah, I have the AD-700 and they sound quite nice but the lack of bass is really noticeable. when it's amped, you can get a decent rumble but there's still no impact at all to the music.

I already mentioned this before - but if you EQ up everything from the 55 to 110 Hz range (or better - EQ everything else down and up the volume), you can get some bass impact from the AD700's. It's at least enough to satisfy me. The phones seem to respond pretty well to bass equalizing.

HiResDes

VALIS said:
Currently using...

Denon AH-D5000
Denon AH-D2000
AKG K701

Will trade either the 2000s or the AKGs for a pair of high end in-ear monitors. I used to have a great pair of Shure in-ears but stepped on em in the driveway and cracked em into a million pieces. PM if interested. If not I guess I'll just sell them on Amazon.

If I were you I'd post this on headfi too, there are going to be people looking to trade in order to preparation of the Westone 4.

cindersphere

Neo Member
Hazaro said:

Sounds like you would have enjoyed the a700's more. Less sound stage but a boost in the bass department. Maybe you can eq it to your tastes, but bass is a hard one to eq correctly.

Here is a graph of it's sound signature to help you with you tweak the sound.

http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/ath-ad700_f.gif

HiResDes said:
I don't think they'll break instantly when out in the rain, but yeah you might be better served using in-ears outside or at least a pair of headphones with pleather cushioning.

Yeah, something like the Audio Technica ATH-M30s? Or wouldn't they compare favorable to the Beyerdynamics?

/edit: Ugh, this research is killing me, everyone says something different! Which is obvious I guess, but at this point it seems I'm doomed to make a bad decision. Sony MDR-V6 comes up as well. Some say it's way better than the M30s, others claim the treble is ear-rapingly bright. Hmm, decisions, decisions.

Superlux, anyone got any experience with that?

1stStrike

Banned
Hey HiRes, based on my love for the Denon's what would you recommend in the realm of earbuds based on your experience? I've gone through the OP of course, but I'm interested in what you think.

Top Bottom