• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Ashhong

I like WeSC, and RZA. But no thanks.

As for my TMA-1's. I've found that my laptop puts out some insane amount of volume (I barely go up to 30%), while my phone and my tablet are much lower (at max).

I guess it's time for a portable amp.

After a few days. I would agree with K.Jack. TMA-1 + AMP = winner.

Sounds good. I just now realized that they are on ear headphones though. I have big ears that stick out so those would be uncomfortable. I need to wait and check out the studio headphones.

Kukuk

Banned
Cool, a thread to brag a bit with my headphones :)

Home:

dqzqo.jpg

LCD-2 + Alo Continental V2 Amp + Aloaudio cables

Totally jelly. The LCD-2's are my dream headphone. Got to listen to them at 32Ohm Audio a while back and absolutely fell in love with their mids. So, so lush without being lazy sounding.

Ashhong

Meelectronics have pause/next track but no volume.

Is there a Turbine from Monster that has the Control Talk? If so that is probably a good choice as well

mr stroke

Any earbuds in the OP list or on Amazon that are runner/gym friendly?

I want to ditch my iPod earbuds for something better but some of the higher end earbuds don't look runner/gym friendly(coming out of ears, sweat, etc..)

The OP mentions MEElectronics HT-21 Portable Headphone and links to the official website selling them for $40.

Looks like I found them on Amazon for $20.

Are they good for gaming in the same room someone is watching TV?

My budget is 30$ and I need decent ambient sound attenuation.

I just listened to the pair I got my sister. They're on-ear, so they're not going to block out any noise. The low and midrange are decent, but the highs are a little lackluster. I kinda like the Portapros better.

nib95

Banned
A dark day for my self control:

H87ZI.jpg

Sell me this please. You have more money than me!

Cool, a thread to brag a bit with my headphones :)

Home:

dqzqo.jpg

LCD-2 + Alo Continental V2 Amp + Aloaudio cables

(I would like to add a DAC in there, if you have recommendation, don't hesitate)

I'm using my T1's with an ALO Continental. One of the best portable amps I've used. Got a Rein Audio X-DAC on the way, and finally picking up my LCD-2's tomorrow or Thursday. Trying to decide on what desktop amp to settle on as my final.

But can't afford to keep both headphones and all my gear so I have some major comparisons to be doing.

Drpunch

Neo Member
Just about to buy to some TMA-1's (actually found somewhere in Canada with a decent price) but would like to clarify a few things before I buy them. I will mainly use them for portable use and I am wondering what people's experience in that regard is. Also, how comfortable are they? I understand they have no padding on the actual headband. Finally, is the straight cable worth getting? I've never used a coiled cable before but I'm concerned it may get in the way. Thanks!

parasight

Just about to buy to some TMA-1's (actually found somewhere in Canada with a decent price) but would like to clarify a few things before I buy them. I will mainly use them for portable use and I am wondering what people's experience in that regard is. Also, how comfortable are they? I understand they have no padding on the actual headband. Finally, is the straight cable worth getting? I've never used a coiled cable before but I'm concerned it may get in the way. Thanks!

I'm actually also in the market for TMA-1's in Canada. I was wondering where you're planning to buy it from. Only place I could find was headphonebar.com

Drpunch

Neo Member
I'm actually also in the market for TMA-1's in Canada. I was wondering where you're planning to buy it from. Only place I could find was headphonebar.com

That's pretty much the only place in Canada I could find. Not nearly as good as the Amazon deals I keep seeing, but it'll have to do. Seem to have a decent reputation as well. I'll keep looking around for a bit longer though.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
are Beats by Dr. Dre Tour High Resolution Headphones, the inear ones any good.

i can see them for 30quid right now

Igo

Can someone recommend me some iem's suitable and comfortable enough for running? My budget is around $80-100.

I'm replacing my SA6's which have been collecting dust for a while. They had to be the worst headphones, quality wise at least, that i've ever owned. Both earphones started acting wonky and got progressively worse after 1 year if not sooner. So please, proven quality or a lifetime warranty are essential.

hayguyz

Banned
Anyone hear have ears that stick out a bit and have comfortable headphones?

I've used some in the past from my brother (I don't remember the brand) but they pushed my ears against my head. After wearing them for an hour or two and taking them off, it felt like I was being stabbed in the ear for about 30 minutes. It was very painful.

Will all headphones do this and it's just my anatomy?

LCfiner

seems like you don't want the on-ear headphones that sit on the ear.

look for over-ear headphones that sit on the side of your face and surround with ear without touching it. or look into in-ear monitors or earbuds.

Talon

Can someone recommend me some iem's suitable and comfortable enough for running? My budget is around $80-100.

I'm replacing my SA6's which have been collecting dust for a while. They had to be the worst headphones, quality wise at least, that i've ever owned. Both earphones started acting wonky and got progressively worse after 1 year if not sooner. So please, proven quality or a lifetime warranty are essential.
You can find CC51's for half that price. Klipsch S4s are great at that price point. I've heard of some usual wire issues with Klipsch's.

AVclub

Can I get a recommendation for a sturdy set of headphones that are relatively cheap yet sound good for mp3 player use?

My son was using my Koss PortaPro headphones and liked them. Then he sat on them and they broke. I don't want to shell out $100 and have him break the next pair. But I'd like him to have something with pretty nice comfort and response.

Thanks in advance.

Can I get a recommendation for a sturdy set of headphones that are relatively cheap yet sound good for mp3 player use?

My son was using my Koss PortaPro headphones and liked them. Then he sat on them and they broke. I don't want to shell out $100 and have him break the next pair. But I'd like him to have something with pretty nice comfort and response.

Thanks in advance.

I would call Koss first. The Portapros have a lifetime warranty.

Igo

You can find CC51's for half that price. Klipsch S4s are great at that price point. I've heard of some usual wire issues with Klipsch's.
Any other suggestions? The's S4's seem to have build issues as you noted and while the CC51's seem to be getting general praise, the thinness of the cord and reported microphonics worries me somewhat.

Ashhong

Anyone hear have ears that stick out a bit and have comfortable headphones?

I've used some in the past from my brother (I don't remember the brand) but they pushed my ears against my head. After wearing them for an hour or two and taking them off, it felt like I was being stabbed in the ear for about 30 minutes. It was very painful.

Will all headphones do this and it's just my anatomy?

My ears stick out a lot and the Audio Technica M50 are pretty comfortable. I can wear it for hours. Haven't tried many other over the ear headphones but from what I have tried they were all pretty comfortable.

3N16MA

Banned
are Beats by Dr. Dre Tour High Resolution Headphones, the inear ones any good.

i can see them for 30quid right now

When it comes to Beats if the price seems to good it most likely is fake. If you really want Beats (there are other choices) make sure you buy from an authorized dealer.

tokkun

Any other suggestions? The's S4's seem to have build issues as you noted and while the CC51's seem to be getting general praise, the thinness of the cord and reported microphonics worries me somewhat.

I've owned both the S4i and CC51. The CC51 has more build issues in my experience; My S4i's lasted over a year before breaking - that's the longest any IEMs have lasted for me (I'm not too gentle). My CC51's broke pretty quickly. I don't recall the exact duration, but I think it was around 4 months that it broke when the left nozzle fell off and the wire snapped. Actually, they started falling apart earlier than that, but it took a few months before it became a permanent failure. They're replacing them with CC51P, so hopefully the issue is sorted in that model. That said, I found the CC51 to have better audio quality than the S4i within the same sound signature.

If you like that particular sound signature (warm, full bass) then my suggestion is the Future Sonics Atrio Pro (MG7). I got mine for $110 at atrio.me using some coupon that gave 50% off. You can find it if you search.

If you're looking for a lower cost IEM and are OK going with a little cooler sound signature, try the MEElectronics A151. I haven't had any build issues with mine and the cord is of much higher quality than the one in the CC51. I have found the A151 for as low as $25 on sale, but they are similar in quality to the CC51 and S4 (albeit with a different sound signature).

nib95

Banned
Really, LCD-2s for portable?

I don't risk mine even leaving the house.

I didn't mean portable in the sense that I wear them around town or anything, but portable in the sense that it's my mobile music kit. I take one or the other with me to my other half's when I stay round, since I can't carry my desktop amp/DAC etc.

On the move I listen to Westone 4's with a JDS cMoyBB.

Anyway, going to be a tough few weeks as I can only afford to keep one of these cans. Just have to keep testing till I come to a conclusion. Initial testing has me leaning towards the T1's. The LCD-2's might have that glorious sub bass, but they lack the imaging, detail, mid bass and three dimensional sound stage of the T1's.

Might just be because I haven't climatised to the LCD-2's sound yet, but there's something a bit more moody and less "reference" about it. I'll keep listening.

Alucrid

Banned
I didn't mean portable in the sense that I wear them around town or anything, but portable in the sense that it's my mobile music kit. I take one or the other with me to my other half's when I stay round, since I can't carry my desktop amp/DAC etc.

On the move I listen to Westone 4's with a JDS cMoyBB.

Anyway, going to be a tough few weeks as I can only afford to keep one of these cans. Just have to keep testing till I come to a conclusion. Initial testing has me leaning towards the T1's. The LCD-2's might have that glorious sub bass, but they lack the imaging, detail, mid bass and three dimensional sound stage of the T1's.

Might just be because I haven't climatised to the LCD-2's sound yet, but there's something a bit more moody and less "reference" about it. I'll keep listening.

I'd take superior imaging and soundstage any day over lows. One reason why I'm buying the ATH CK-10 soon.

Dre3001

Alright so I have an Ipod Touch that I use to listen to music

The Apple stock headphones are trash though

I was wondering what are some good in-ear headphones for my Ipod Touch. Also don't want to spend too much, probably the most I would be willing to spend is $65.

wait, that ALO amp has a TUBE in it?

gonna have to buy one of those too. damn it.

current shopping list:

ALO amp
Beyer T1
either the Beyer amp for the T1 or the Woo WA2.

oh, the fun of it all.

nib95

Banned
wait, that ALO amp has a TUBE in it?

gonna have to buy one of those too. damn it.

current shopping list:

ALO amp
Beyer T1
either the Beyer amp for the T1 or the Woo WA2.

oh, the fun of it all.

You have very good choice my friend. Heard the T1 + WA2 is one of the best pairings out there. Just a shame the WA2's are so expensive!

snack

I was wondering what are some good in-ear headphones for my Ipod Touch. Also don't want to spend too much, probably the most I would be willing to spend is $65.

Yuin PK3s

Mexx

Neo Member

a-JAYS Four? They are great in my opinion.

leng jai

alright boys, so Woo WA2 > Beyer A1?

for an owner of both the Beyer T1 cans and Denon D7000's?

T1 + WA2 is universally praised and one of the most popular high end combos on Headfi for the T1s. You seriously can't go wrong.

As for the D7000s, the WA2s are an OTL amp and theoretically don't drive low impedance cans that well.

The A1s is a strange product - for some reason barely anyone uses it on Headfi even though its designed by Beyer especially for their cans. I can only assume they are not that great.

Gila

a-JAYS Four? They are great in my opinion.

Ah shit, nvm my previous post

Apparently many people are having comfort issues and it's not staying in properly..Did you experience this?

Some guy on head-fi recommended that you buy a tx-200 foam tip to alleviate the problem, and I don't mind doing that.

If not, any other IEM's that have a mic and pause/skip control remote like that on the band, and are around that price (Less than $100 US) and preferably look as nice as that?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Happy with these Superlux HD681. Quite comfortable compared to any other headphones I've had in my life.

I'm sold on more expensive headphones for TV if I ever run into problems with sound bugging people. Which wont happen for quite a while, but yea.

Ah shit, nvm my previous post

Apparently many people are having comfort issues and it's not staying in properly..Did you experience this?

Some guy on head-fi recommended that you buy a tx-200 foam tip to alleviate the problem, and I don't mind doing that.

If not, any other IEM's that have a mic and pause/skip control remote like that on the band, and are around that price (Less than $100 US) and preferably look as nice as that?

As a sound/value proposition the A-Jays are not the best phones for the money (I'd say the Sunrise Xscape should spank the A-Jays), but for what you're looking for, which is a product that features an inline remote, they are probably your best bet.

Top Bottom