• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

I think I want some foam tips for my Meelec cw31's. They're aren't any for them specifically, but does anyone know where I could find some?

Put off the purchase for a month and save some money to increase your budget. The 5.8 wireless mixamp from Astro is a great option and will pair very well with all headsets and headphones. The wired mixamp is great as well and a bit cheaper. They both have digital optical inputs. I have both and use the wireless one in the living room...had zero problems with signal interference.

As for headsets, I'd recommend the Sennheiser PC-350 (closed) or PC-360 (open). I much prefer the sound of the PC-360 and find it comparable to the Sennheiser 595 but it is the more expensive option. Alternatively, you could get any decent dedicated headphone and clip on mic.

Of course, the mixamp plus headset will put you well above your budget but I really think it is worth the money, especially if voice chat is essential to you and you want cross platform compatibility

Thanks! And to you, too, Teetris!

Arrived earlier today and will start using them tomorrow:

49519ee4.jpg

Eventually, I'll get my iems & probably a pair of tma-1s (debating on whether or not to get them with a remote).

Can someone link me to a good tutorial on cable replacement?

I'd like to know this too. I want to make my own cable for my Q701, but not exactly sure what I need. I've soldered before and worked with electronics so I'm assuming it'll be pretty straight forward, but I'd like to be certain what I'm soldering to where..

I'd like to know this too. I want to make my own cable for my Q701, but not exactly sure what I need. I've soldered before and worked with electronics so I'm assuming it'll be pretty straight forward, but I'd like to be certain what I'm soldering to where..

For starters you can look at this. As for braiding the cable I'm sure you can google it and get some Canare starquad and neutrik jacks or something

http://www.head-fi.org/t/172825/beyerdynamic-dt880-re-cable-guide-in-progress

ElyrionX

After months of waiting I think I am going for the Beyerdynamic DT-880 (600 ohm). The Sennheiser HD 600/650 are too expensive where I live, the AKG 701 not suited for my taste and I can't really rate the Hifi-man HE-300.

Any suggestions for a decent yet affordable DAC/amp? Currently looking at the Yulong U100.

Why not just save yourself the money and get the 32 or 250 ohms versions?

ryan-ts

Does anyone have experience with the V-Moda M-80? I'm thinking about picking them up in the future but there are consistent complaints about noise isolation. I'm just wondering to what degree this is. If I were walking around the downtown of a small city, would it be hard to enjoy these headphones?

Alucrid

Banned
Anyone with shure olives here? How the fuck do you get them on? I had to literally make a tear in the inner tube just so that I could get them on my iems.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Arrived earlier today and will start using them tomorrow:

Eventually, I'll get my iems & probably a pair of tma-1s (debating on whether or not to get them with a remote).
Why did you buy the M50s over TMA-1s in the first place?

Why did you buy the M50s over TMA-1s in the first place?

Mostly because the version of the TMA-1s I wanted is the one with the mic (which is still going for about $225 on amazon) and the M50s were much cheaper - despite not having a mic/remote. I'll probably get the TMA-1s sometime later this year as I'm not really in that much of a rush really (and am still looking for better deals for them).

Ashhong

Wasnt there a link for the one with the mic for 170 posted a little while ago? I have the M50s right now myself and am looking to upgrade to the TMA-1. Who knows if I'll ever get around to it though.

Wasnt there a link for the one with the mic for 170 posted a little while ago? I have the M50s right now myself and am looking to upgrade to the TMA-1. Who knows if I'll ever get around to it though.

There was and I totally missed it - despite checking the price on them almost every day for the past week. I'll get them eventually, but now with the studios also being released... I'm still weighing my options.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Does anyone have experience with the V-Moda M-80? I'm thinking about picking them up in the future but there are consistent complaints about noise isolation. I'm just wondering to what degree this is. If I were walking around the downtown of a small city, would it be hard to enjoy these headphones?

I own a set of these (that I'd be willing to sell to you at a fair price if you were at all interested). They sound great and look great and are built great. Isolation on them is only modest, though. For on-ear phones they are average in terms of isolation...not terrible, not great.

Getting them on your head in a way that the cup completely covers your ear is the best defense against outside noise as well as getting the best sound out of the cans. You figure out the right position pretty quick and it becomes a non-issue.

I recently switched over to IEMs so these babies aren't seeing much action these days.

ryan-ts

I own a set of these (that I'd be willing to sell to you at a fair price if you were at all interested). They sound great and look great and are built great. Isolation on them is only modest, though. For on-ear phones they are average in terms of isolation...not terrible, not great.

Getting them on your head in a way that the cup completely covers your ear is the best defense against outside noise as well as getting the best sound out of the cans. You figure out the right position pretty quick and it becomes a non-issue.

I recently switched over to IEMs so these babies aren't seeing much action these days.

Thanks for the information, I'm definitely more confident about getting them now. I will probably be buying them new because I love opening new headphones, burning them in etc. and I have no idea when I'm actually going to get a pair, so I'll have to pass on buying them from you. Once again, thank you for replying.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
So should I get the M50? Is there a better price/same sound quality headphone? Looking for something closed. Will I need a amp? Maybe I could get a cheaper headphone with a amp for the same price as m50?

derder

I'm at an impasse. I own:

Sennheiser 650s
HiFIMAN EF2A USB DAC/Headphone amp

I want to add another $200 to my setup. Where would it be spent best? I will inevitably upgrade my HiFiman to something else so I guess I'm looking to split up my DAC/amp into discrete components.

3N16MA

Banned
Decided to pass on the HE-400 until some reviews are out and more details are released about their sound signature. I'm missing out on the pre-order price but it is actually slightly cheaper for me to ship it to the U.S. at full price and have my sister bring them back to Canada than shipping them to Canada at the pre-order price.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
You pretty much listen to everything I do. Hip hop/trance/vocal/house/techno/kpop. I love me some mids and his, but really need that solid bass thump rocking my ear drums. My M50s just about do the trick when amped, but I feel like it could be better. Thanks in advance for more impressions

I missed this post, sorry.

As I said before, when you were looking at the E11:

You can bass boost the TMA-1 to the point where it feels like they're going to start bouncing off of your ears, and there will be zero distortion. There's no way the TMA-1 won't have enough bass for you, I simply refuse to believe it's possible.

TMA-1 + E11 = basshead Nirvana.

Any word on the RZA headphones, http://wesc.com/chambers ? Just asking because I really dig the look.

275 Euros?... Just... lol. The thing about celebrity endorsed phones is you can expect middling to above average sound sold at a ridiculous premium since they aren't being marketed as audiophile headphones, but rather as premium lifestyle accessories. You can easily score a pair of TMA's for way less, get arguably better aesthetics and assuredly better performance. And if you wanted to splurge at the 275 Euro price, a pair of HiFiMan HE-400s will kick the RZA's ass up and down the block in every possible way

What's a good upgrade from the Sennheiser HD 380 Pros if my absolutely #1 priority is having no sound leakage (people around me can't hear what I'm listening to even at high volumes)?

damn it, now I'm going to have to get one of these too. :-(

how much time and cost goes into maintaining a tube amp? how often do they have to be replaced, for example?

There's hardly any maintenance at all really. You can feasibly get years of use out of a pair of tubes. Tube rolling can be pretty expensive if you're going after a pair of esoteric NOS tubes or something, and experimenting will yield interesting results in terms of resolution, soundstage width, bass slam etc.

But pacsun is fashionable therefore wesc is fashionable therefore it is good.

Indisputable.

Lol, Is this one of those my hair is a bird, your argument is invalid type points?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I like WeSC, and RZA. But no thanks.

As for my TMA-1's. I've found that my laptop puts out some insane amount of volume (I barely go up to 30%), while my phone and my tablet are much lower (at max).

I guess it's time for a portable amp.

You pretty much listen to everything I do. Hip hop/trance/vocal/house/techno/kpop. I love me some mids and his, but really need that solid bass thump rocking my ear drums. My M50s just about do the trick when amped, but I feel like it could be better. Thanks in advance for more impressions

After a few days. I would agree with K.Jack. TMA-1 + AMP = winner.

leng jai

damn it, now I'm going to have to get one of these too. :-(

how much time and cost goes into maintaining a tube amp? how often do they have to be replaced, for example?

Turn that frown upside down.

Tube amps aren't that different from a standard amp. The tubes as mentioned typically last for a few years. The main thing is you can't leave them on for 24/7 or leave them unattended for extended periods of them like you could with a conventional solid state amp.

jdavid459

275 Euros?... Just... lol. The thing about celebrity endorsed phones is you can expect middling to above average sound sold at a ridiculous premium since they aren't being marketed as audiophile headphones, but rather as premium lifestyle accessories. You can easily score a pair of TMA's for way less, get arguably better aesthetics and assuredly better performance. And if you wanted to splurge at the 275 Euro price, a pair of HiFiMan HE-400s will kick the RZA's ass up and down the block in every possible way

They look...ok? I have a feeling they will not sound nearly as good as other $200+ Cans...Maybe as good as Beats..maybe.

Dude... he's partnering with WESC... freakin' WESC. You find their shit in Pac-Sun man... How can anyone take that seriously? What's next? Katy Perry phones promoted by Hollister?

Yeah, I figured they'd be another brand-name cash in. Was hoping they would be good though. I'm probably going to buy a pair of these, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KCLIFA/?tag=neogaf0e-20 , for my first pair of nice headphones. I just don't think any of these "great" audiophile type headphones got a really nice look. Maybe its just me. I've also heard some complaints about the comfort of the 700mk2, but their the best I've seen so far for what I'm looking for (from recommendations here and the web).

Recon

Banned
Yeah, I figured they'd be another brand-name cash in. Was hoping they would be good though. I'm probably going to buy a pair of these, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KCLIFA/?tag=neogaf0e-20 , for my first pair of nice headphones. I just don't think any of these "great" audiophile type headphones got a really nice look. Maybe its just me. I've also heard some complaints about the comfort of the 700mk2, but their the best I've seen so far for what I'm looking for (from recommendations here and the web).

I have those. They are fucking fantastic. Bass is great, and the sound is awesome. I am wearing them right now.

I have the silver versions of these - tons of bass but were definitely heavy after a while, hence me looking for something lighter (ES7s & M50s). Love them to death though.

And the TMA-1s being on sale now... Ugh, I just spent some cash on a Mario version DSi... Not sure I can justify dropping another $100+ on a new toy right now...

Cool, a thread to brag a bit with my headphones :)

Home:

dqzqo.jpg

LCD-2 + Alo Continental V2 Amp + Aloaudio cables

(I would like to add a DAC in there, if you have recommendation, don't hesitate)

Roaming:

O4aLq.jpg

Phiaton MS400 + Ipod classic

Biking under the sun:

Turbine Copper edition + Ipod Classic

90% of my music library is wav.

Top Bottom