• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

Fallout-NL said:
Yeah, something like the Audio Technica ATH-M30s? Or wouldn't they compare favorable to the Beyerdynamics?

/edit: Ugh, this research is killing me, everyone says something different! Which is obvious I guess, but at this point it seems I'm doomed to make a bad decision. Sony MDR-V6 comes up as well. Some say it's way better than the M30s, others claim the treble is ear-rapingly bright. Hmm, decisions, decisions.

Superlux, anyone got any experience with that?
They are fantastic for the price, as they ripoffs of AKGs, but the material isn't as high quality. They have really good detail, but don't get either them or the DT-235s if you're a basshead

HiResDes

1stStrike said:
Hey HiRes, based on my love for the Denon's what would you recommend in the realm of earbuds based on your experience? I've gone through the OP of course, but I'm interested in what you think.
Honestly I'd a little reluctant to recommend you a pair given my lack of experience with higher end iems and the fact that I don't think any of them are going to compare favorably to your D7000s...I ordered the Fischer Audio Eterna V.1's a week ago, but I have no idea if they are even stock or when they are going to come, but their sound signature supposedly is somewhat similar albeit wholly inferior.

1stStrike

Banned
HiResDes said:
Honestly I'd a little reluctant to recommend you a pair given my lack of experience with higher end iems and the fact that I don't think any of them are going to compare favorably to your D7000s...I ordered the Fischer Audio Eterna V.1's a week ago, but I have no idea if they are even stock or when they are going to come, but their sound signature supposedly is somewhat similar albeit wholly inferior.

Thanks. I already know that IEM's won't compare to my D7000's, but I want something that's good with the highs and lows with some bass to em. Any ideas?

HiResDes

1stStrike said:
Thanks. I already know that IEM's won't compare to my D7000's, but I want something that's good with the highs and lows with some bass to em. Any ideas?

Yeah that's what I suspected. I'd going to recommend either being adventurous and ordering the Fischer Audio Eterna V.1's like me or the Sherwood SE-777 in the OP.

You're referring to the M30s I take it? And if you don't mind some bass on occasion? My taste in music is broad, but there's some chemical brothers type stuff in there that might call for it every now and then.

Sorry to ask you all these question, hope you don't mind.

1stStrike

Banned
Hmm, after my last experience with ordering from Fischer (with the 1+ month wait) I'm not sure I'm willing to try that again 0_o

I'll probably look at the Sherwood's :)

HiResDes

Fallout-NL said:
You're referring to the M30s I take it? And if you don't mind some bass on occasion? My taste in music is broad, but there's some chemical brothers type stuff in there that might call for it every now and then.

Sorry to ask you all these question, hope you don't mind.
No the Superlux's are AKG ripoffs.

HiResDes

Fallout-NL said:
I see, thanks.
The M30s have fairly good bass and somewhat weak treble...They all have their weaknesses in the budget bracket. I'd recommend reading up on them, as I can only go off of memory of the ones I've heard myself.

HiResDes said:
The M30s have fairly good bass and somewhat weak treble...They all have their weaknesses in the budget bracket. I'd recommend reading up on them, as I can only go off of memory of the ones I've heard myself.
Yeah I guess it's best to accept it'll always be a bit of a compromise in that price range. Thanks for your descriptions though :).

HiResDes

Fallout-NL said:
Yeah I guess it's best to accept it'll always be a bit of a compromise in that price range. Thanks for your descriptions though :).

Oh man I just thought about something you should check out the new Meelectronics HT-21 it's been getting great reviews and it looks super light and portable.

poweld

I know this isn't the b/s/t thread, but I'm curious if anybody here is interested in a pair of barely used Grado SR60's. I've got a few too many headphones and these just aren't getting the attention they deserve.

Shoot me a PM if you have any interest!

Ashhong

So I just want to make sure I'm not crazy.

I have my computer sound going through my Sony stereo (dont know what model right now) to it's speakers usually. I plug my M50s into the stereo headphone jack instead of computer (both methods work) and it seems like the sound is better, more bass, etc. Is it possible the stereo is acting like an amp?

MrBig

Ashhong said:

I have my computer sound going through my Sony stereo (dont know what model right now) to it's speakers usually. I plug my M50s into the stereo headphone jack instead of computer (both methods work) and it seems like the sound is better, more bass, etc. Is it possible the stereo is acting like an amp?
Yes it certainly is. I have a Sony receiver and the difference between having it plugged through that and straight through my laptop is incredible.

ravien56

What's the consensus here on Grado's? I lurked on head-fi for a bit trying to find a good headphone to buy and everyone want ape shit over Grado sr-225i. They're alright at this point, got about over 100 hours burned in on them, but not really hearing the difference. Maybe I need a amp/dac?

poweld

Ashhong said:

Yes, it is absolutely amplifying the signal. Now you see what an amp improvement can do for the sound of your cans :)

Ashhong

Ah good to know. Didn't realize that a simple stereo was capable of doing that.

I'm actually upset that it does that. My plan was to enjoy the headphone's sound without an amp for a few months, since it will be better than regular ipod headphones, and then get an amp later and experience another jump in quality. Now it's too late and I can't go back :lol

LCfiner

Ashhong said:

I'm actually upset that it does that. My plan was to enjoy the headphone's sound without an amp for a few months, since it will be better than regular ipod headphones, and then get an amp later and experience another jump in quality. Now it's too late and I can't go back :lol
It begins! :lol

poweld

Ashhong said:

I am so goddamn excited for you that my hands are trembling and I'm getting a bit foamy about the mouth.

Ashhong

I'm traveling with my headphones and I miss my stereo amp!!!! :lol

edit: please dont link me amps to buy, I have no money :lol

Ceres

Banned
ravien56 said:
What's the consensus here on Grado's? I lurked on head-fi for a bit trying to find a good headphone to buy and everyone want ape shit over Grado sr-225i. They're alright at this point, got about over 100 hours burned in on them, but not really hearing the difference. Maybe I need a amp/dac?

Those Grados don't need an amp but one will always help. Grados have a particular sound that a lot of people love but others don't, which really will happen with any manufacturer. They just may not be the headphones for you. That said, you should certainly be noticing a difference in the clarity of sound if you're upgrading from something like the cheap ipod buds unless you're using them to listen to low bitrate mp3s in which case no headphone will improve the sound.

Shuusui

Going to NYC this weekend and I want to stop by some proper headphone deals and try as many different kinds as possible.

Any recommendations on where I can test run some of these babies?

MrBig

Ashhong said:
I'm traveling with my headphones and I miss my stereo amp!!!! :lol

edit: please dont link me amps to buy, I have no money :lol
I'm so tempted to get something like an E7, but I have no money either :lol
The crackling highs are unbearable.

poweld

Shuusui said:
Going to NYC this weekend and I want to stop by some proper headphone deals and try as many different kinds as possible.

Any recommendations on where I can test run some of these babies?
Try PMing Davidion, he may be able to steer you in the right direction. I imagine J&R and B&H are your two best bets, though.

HiResDes

1stStrike said:
Well, I just bought the Sherwood Se-777's and this to go along with them. We'll see how it goes in a few days once everything gets here :D
Oh shit you got an amp specifically just for them, dude you're balling headphone style

SleazyC

1stStrike said:
Well, I just bought the Sherwood Se-777's and this to go along with them. We'll see how it goes in a few days once everything gets here :D
Not sure what you budget was but if you don't like the Sherwood you might want to check out the Victor JVC FX500 or their superior brother the FX700's. I had the FX500 before my cat chewed through the cord and it had some very beastly bass. The biggest knock on them are that the mids are very recessed (I found the right tips can help but not solve the problem). The FX700 supposedly fixed this and are a pretty sweet set of IEMs. The almost $400 price tag kept me away especially since they have vents on the back that do leak some sound out. Working in an office this wasn't a possibility for me.

Pilgor

So I have a set of HD650's on order. I hope theres a significant difference to my K702's!

Not to say I don't like the K702's, nothing is more revealing and crisp :)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I've never actually impulsed bought headphones before tonight, but they had a pair of Sennheiser adidas PMX 680s on the clearance end cap at Target for $8.63. I bought them without hesitation. I guess this will encourage me to hit the gym more often so I can get some use out of them!

poweld

Pilgor said:
So I have a set of HD650's on order. I hope theres a significant difference to my K702's!

Not to say I don't like the K702's, nothing is more revealing and crisp :)
Neat, you're going to have the same gear as me (well, I have HD600's). I think they complement each other very well. Both have very different sounds and I find myself bouncing between them depending on my mood and what I'm listening to.

HiResDes

SleazyC said:
Not sure what you budget was but if you don't like the Sherwood you might want to check out the Victor JVC FX500 or their superior brother the FX700's. I had the FX500 before my cat chewed through the cord and it had some very beastly bass. The biggest knock on them are that the mids are very recessed (I found the right tips can help but not solve the problem). The FX700 supposedly fixed this and are a pretty sweet set of IEMs. The almost $400 price tag kept me away especially since they have vents on the back that do leak some sound out. Working in an office this wasn't a possibility for me.

Yeah I didn't know what his budget was, I knew he had just spent a shitload of money on his cans so I was trying to keep it to a minimum...Otherwise I would have recommended the IE8's or the Westone UM3X

Pilgor

poweld said:
Neat, you're going to have the same gear as me (well, I have HD600's). I think they complement each other very well. Both have very different sounds and I find myself bouncing between them depending on my mood and what I'm listening to.

Yea I hope they don't seem redundant. I kinda need a portable pair too, or a closed set as well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Extollere said:
I already mentioned this before - but if you EQ up everything from the 55 to 110 Hz range (or better - EQ everything else down and up the volume), you can get some bass impact from the AD700's. It's at least enough to satisfy me. The phones seem to respond pretty well to bass equalizing.
I did go into my audio equalizer and bumped my 30, 60, 90 after I tried the HD202's.

I'll lower 120-the end by a little and see how that goes. Do you have a layout. Is a flatout lowering ok?
cindersphere said:
Sounds like you would have enjoyed the a700's more. Less sound stage but a boost in the bass department. Maybe you can eq it to your tastes, but bass is a hard one to eq correctly.

Here is a graph of it's sound signature to help you with you tweak the sound.

http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/ath-ad700_f.gif
Thank you, but what do I do with this? :lol

HiResDes

Lambtron said:
I've never actually impulsed bought headphones before tonight, but they had a pair of Sennheiser adidas PMX 680s on the clearance end cap at Target for $8.63. I bought them without hesitation. I guess this will encourage me to hit the gym more often so I can get some use out of them!

Seems like a good deal to me, and yeah sometimes you just gotta impulse buy and worse comes to worse usually you can make a return unless something is on clearance.

image1079364422_k240monito4055cb46d611f.jpg

What do you guys think of these?

I've had them for around five years.

AKG K240 600 ohms.

I'd just like to know where they stand against other headphones out there and in this thread.

HiResDes

Dark Octave said:
image1079364422_k240monito4055cb46d611f.jpg

What do you guys think of these?

I've had them for around five years.

AKG K240 600 ohms.

I'd just like to know where they stand against other headphones out there and in this thread.

Well their value kind of went down a bit in my eyes after these $30 ripoffs came out:

242670028d91082d59c778df79107758.jpg

:lol It's so blatant...Anyway yeah those are good headphones though

ngower

Lambtron said:

Nice, I'm gonna check and see if my Target has a similar deal. I had a pair of Sennheiser's, some nice ones too, that I ended up slicing like two days after I got them when I was working at a restaurant. :(

Not sure if this is exactly the best place for this, but since I saw other people selling headphones. . .

In case anyone's interested in balancing their HD600s / 650s, I'm offering to sell my virtually brand new balanced combo of a Little Dot DAC_1, Little Dot MKVII+ amp, XLR interconnects, and HD650 after-market balanced cable for $715 including shipping, about $140 less than I paid for them about two weeks back. If I don't get any offers for them in a few days though, I'll just end up returning the DAC and amp to Little Dot, but I thought someone here might be interested before then (and save me having to sell the cables seperately). I like the sound of the whole set-up, but some personal matters have come up and kind of changed what my financial priorities are.

Also selling a pair of barely used Sennheiser HD25-1s for $125 including shipping, with it's original box and carrying bag.

If anyone's interested, PM me for more info, even more so if you're in southern Ontario as we could just meet up instead of having to go through shipping.

HiResDes said:
Well their value kind of went down a bit in my eyes after these $30 ripoffs came out:

242670028d91082d59c778df79107758.jpg

:lol It's so blatant...Anyway yeah those are good headphones though
Cool thanks. I've had them so long I have no clue how outdated they may be, if that's even possible with headphones.

tomjr

I just got back from the CES where I stumbled across Westone's booth. I got to listen to the new 4 earphones. I was pretty impressed, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to spring for the 4. I'm seriously thinking about their 3 though.

sasimirobot

Picked up these for 24$US. Have no idea if they are legit 7.1 or not. How would I go about testing them on my netbook, is there a mp3 or website that I could use for 7.1 sound?

294876494_558.jpg

1stStrike

Banned
HiResDes said:
Oh shit you got an amp specifically just for them, dude you're balling headphone style

Well, I got the amp shipped, but not as much success with the Sherwood's. I ordered from the site in the OP.

Dear Ronald,

Unfortunately, product you have ordered is no longer available.
We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

They even removed the product page from their website after I ordered.

Any other place I can get them? I've looked on google but I've only found some india ebay listing and a obscure UK website... it looks like I may have to look for a replacement at this rate.

HiResDes

Naw that's the only place I've ever seen them : (

...Sorry dude, but hey maybe this is a blessing as some people don't like the their fit

Can you return the amp? You might just have to settle for something like the Brainwavz M2, unless you want to go with something higher tiered. IDK, I'm stumped this time.

Edit: Radius DDM's are in stock if you want to go with something slightly higher tiered

Seagoon

Can someone recommend me a reasonable set of headphones for PC gaming and music? My budget is around $150NZD ($120USD).

Top Bottom