• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

Seagoon said:
Can someone recommend me a reasonable set of headphones for PC gaming and music? My budget is around $150NZD ($120USD).

Closed or Open? Oh and what kind of music do you listen to?

Seagoon

Closed I think? (if closed means 'over the ear' type headphones).

I mainly listen to alternative country, southern rock. (Drive-By Truckers, Son Volt, Tom Petty etc.)

HiResDes

Seagoon said:
Closed I think? (if closed means 'over the ear' type headphones).

I mainly listen to alternative country, southern rock. (Drive-By Truckers, Son Volt, Tom Petty etc.)
Closed as in do they need to be sound isolating (blocking noise)?

1stStrike

Banned
SleazyC said:
Not sure what you budget was but if you don't like the Sherwood you might want to check out the Victor JVC FX500 or their superior brother the FX700's. I had the FX500 before my cat chewed through the cord and it had some very beastly bass. The biggest knock on them are that the mids are very recessed (I found the right tips can help but not solve the problem). The FX700 supposedly fixed this and are a pretty sweet set of IEMs. The almost $400 price tag kept me away especially since they have vents on the back that do leak some sound out. Working in an office this wasn't a possibility for me.

I looked into these (FX500's) and all the reviews tend to be quite favorable. I also found them for $58.00 online which seems like a steal. The FX700's are a bit more then I want to spend on ear buds.

I'll ponder it over and see if anyone else has any other recommendations in the mean time.

Also, HiRes, no worries - I took a look at those and was immediately like "wtf...". Even the reviews say that they're a pain in the ass to wear and have a hard time staying in your ear (plus they feel cheap).

Seagoon

HiResDes said:
Closed as in do they need to be sound isolating (blocking noise)?

Just read the first post :lol

I'm open to either type really - but open would probably be the best type for my environment.

If possible I'd like headphones with a reasonable length cord so I can use them on the go (not sure if this is a reasonable request though).

1stStrike

Banned
Here.

When you add them to your car the price will reduce down to $58.95. I think I'm just going to buy them now and give em a shot with the amp I ordered and see how it works out.

HiResDes

Seagoon said:
Just read the first post :lol

I'm open to either type really - but open would probably be the best type for my environment.

If possible I'd like headphones with a reasonable length cord so I can use them on the go (not sure if this is a reasonable request though).
If I were you'd I just pm YuriLowell who was selling his pair of Grado SR80s for like $80 I think, that would be a steal and might be the best choice. Grado's and southern rock will probably mesh well together.

Edit: Fuck now I might cancel my Fischer order, damnit 1strike I'm going through the same shit.

1stStrike

Banned
Yeah, I'm sure the Fischer's are nice, but you have to be fucking lucky to actually get anything out of them. It shouldn't take a damn month.

I just ordered my pair (with free shipping and all) so we'll see how it goes.

Seagoon

HiResDes said:
If I were you'd I just pm YuriLowell who was selling his pair of Grado SR80s for like $80 I think, that would be a steal and might be the best choice. Grado's and southern rock will probably mesh well together.

Edit: Fuck now I might cancel my Fischer order, damnit 1strike I'm going through the same shit.

I'm in New Zealand so shipping would probably be a killer. Are there any other brands / models you would recommend?

Alright so I decided I need more bass in my life.

I am wanting to sell my Phiaton MS-400 headphones. They were 180 on amazon, and now they are 170, so perhaps 140? I don't know how much really, but if you are interested then pm me to talk about it.

I bought them only a few of weeks ago, so there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

HiResDes said:
Oh man I just thought about something you should check out the new Meelectronics HT-21 it's been getting great reviews and it looks super light and portable.

I came across that as well. Now I just need to find a place that ships it to the Netherlands at a reasonable rate.

/edit: Just got them through meelec.com, bit of a gamble since I'm not sure what kind of taxes customs might bludgeon me to death with. But we'll see.

zon

I don't know if they have been mentioned yet, but I just have to recommend my Audio Technicha ATH-A900. They cost a little more than $200 but they are so worth it. Best headphones I have ever owned.

Adam Blade said:
I need new pads for my ATH-A900s. Where should I get them?

Doh. :lol

I could use some new pads myself, almost all the leather is gone on mine.

SleazyC

1stStrike said:
Here.

When you add them to your car the price will reduce down to $58.95. I think I'm just going to buy them now and give em a shot with the amp I ordered and see how it works out.
Christ, I remember paying $150 for mine over a year ago. At this price I might pickup a pair. The bass is so defined and textured on these its amazing.

HiResDes

zon said:
I don't know if they have been mentioned yet, but I just have to recommend my Audio Technicha ATH-A900. They cost a little more than $200 but they are so worth it. Best headphones I have ever owned.

Doh. :lol

I could use some new pads myself, almost all the leather is gone on mine.

Replacement Pads can be found here: W5000, AH900, AH700, and AH1000 all fit supposedly

sasimirobot

Guess I should have read the zeros in the thread title more carefully, since nobody has any advice for me. These are first headphones I have ever bought that cost more than 10$, so I thought I was hot shit...

Ps. I download a HD codec for my realtek program but wouldn't know what that does

HiResDes

sasimirobot said:
Guess I should have read the zeros in the thread title more carefully, since nobody has any advice for me. These are first headphones I have ever bought that cost more than 10$, so I thought I was hot shit...

Ps. I download a HD codec for my realtek program but wouldn't know what that does
Sorry man I have very little experience with these surround sound headphones, but the basic consensus is that a pair of good headphones like the AD700 + Mixamp generally beats out most alleged gaming sets. But there are some that believe that gaming sets truly make a difference, so I guess it depends on your ears. I don't really know of a better way of testing them than just using your own ears, since that's what matters most in the end anyway. Why not just put in a FPS and check how well they do with positioning?

Edit: Oh and as a budget guy don't let the title scare you, we're certainly not snobs in here.

sasimirobot

thanks. I have been messing around with the program it came with, it lets you rotate the sounds (speaker shifter) and I can hear some difference. I also downloaded a 6 channel test from here

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/Multichannel.aspx#link6

sounds cool.

can't exactly run a deep FPS on a dual atom netbook, but was looking for something audio wise that would show me an obvious improvement from my old cheepo earplugs besides "wow its louder now".

RTS83

So...I am by no means a huge audiophile. But at the same time I've always wanted a nice pair of over-the-ear cans to take some of the discomfort out of walking around campus.

I bought a pair of these: http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/headphones/kicker-hp1973-headphones/

And they are on their way. No making fun :p I like the look and the reception seems to be pretty positive for a $70 pair of headphones.

My question is on headphone amplifiers. I use a 2nd gen ipod touch. Is an amplifier a worthwhile investment for me? If so, which one is best for sound quality and portability? I like this Fiio E5...it looks small and cool. But the reviews are mixed.

HiResDes

sasimirobot said:
thanks. I have been messing around with the program it came with, it lets you rotate the sounds (speaker shifter) and I can hear some difference. I also downloaded a 6 channel test from here

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/Multichannel.aspx#link6

sounds cool.

can't exactly run a deep FPS on a dual atom netbook, but was looking for something audio wise that would show me an obvious improvement from my old cheepo earplugs besides "wow its louder now".

Next time though man, well whenever get some more money you might want to check these out:

Superlux HD 681 or JVC HARX700

Edit: You probably won't need an amp for those Kickers, although a cheap DAC like the FiiO E7 wouldn't hurt.

Edit 2: No you don't need an E5, you need something that is a DAC also if you're going to be using it on your computer, which is why I recommended the E7.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Sennheiser 202HD are $20 with free shipping on newegg today. Are they worth it for me? I currently have bose in ear headphones from 2 years ago or so that are still in good enough condition.

HiResDes

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Sennheiser 202HD are $20 with free shipping on newegg today. Are they worth it for me? I currently have bose in ear headphones from 2 years ago or so that are still in good enough condition.
Yeah why not? IEMs and headphones both have their pros and cons, and therefore it's always good to have at least one quality pair of each.

If you have an extra 15 bucks I'd advise checking out the headphones I posted above you as well.

Alucrid

Banned
HiResDes said:
Sorry man I have very little experience with these surround sound headphones, but the basic consensus is that a pair of good headphones like the AD700 + Mixamp generally beats out most alleged gaming sets. But there are some that believe that gaming sets truly make a difference, so I guess it depends on your ears. I don't really know of a better way of testing them than just using your own ears, since that's what matters most in the end anyway. Why not just put in a FPS and check how well they do with positioning?

Edit: Oh and as a budget guy don't let the title scare you, we're certainly not snobs in here.

Speak for yourself. :D

Darkatomz

Hazaro said:
I did go into my audio equalizer and bumped my 30, 60, 90 after I tried the HD202's.

I'll lower 120-the end by a little and see how that goes. Do you have a layout. Is a flatout lowering ok?

Thank you, but what do I do with this? :lol
Try what I suggested earlier in the thread here. Maybe raise the gain in one of the first three bands by a notch or so if you want more.

HiResDes

VenusandBacchus said:
Hi guys I'm not sure if this has been covered but what is the consensus on the Bose MIE2i ? I want a good sounding pair of ear buds because I use them everyday, but since I'm using my Iphone I might as well get a pair with a remote. I'd be happy to look into any other recommendations you guys can give me. Thanks in advance
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=..._mobile_solution/index.jsp?model=mie2_headset

No, fuck no. For $130 bucks unless you just absolutely have to have that remote that's an awful price for a pair of merely decent sounding earphones.

Suggestions:

Audeo PFE 122 - They are a little more, but are one of the best in ears under $200, plus they come with a mic/remote

Maybe check out the Klipsch S4I as I know they come with iphone controls.

Also the new MEElectronic M31's have iPhone controls and it's such a great brand that I'd highly recommend those as well for a mere $50

Nuforce Icon HDP and HD 650. Loving it :).
21eatjc.jpg

HiResDes

Extollere said:
How's that amp? And what do you guys prefer for headphones? A tube amp or solid state?

If I had the money and the patience to consistently upkeep a tube I would...They are supposed to sound warmer and really add a lot of flavor to headphones. However, I prefer solid states because they seem less prone to fucking up and generally they can be had for a lot less.

The FX500's are an awesome set of earphones, and their bass, detail and timbre are exceptional. My RE262's bit the dust awhile back so they're with Head Direct, and I'm awaiting a return. They sounded FUCKING AMAZING amped though, I mean, I was enjoying them unamped while on the road, but once I got home and tried them fully amped? Holy shit, they stomp all my other phones easily. It's driving me nuts waiting around for them to be shipped back. :l

1stStrike

Banned
I'm crossing my fingers on this one. The site I ordered them from is apparently owned by some chinese people, and I haven't gotten any confirmation of shipping my order out or anything. It's just showing "payment sent to vendor" in google checkout.

I'm guessing, with my luck, it's going to go like so:

1. I don't receive the headphones and end up wrangling my $58.95 back
2. I receive them, but they're fakes and sound like crap.

I'll give it some time though and see how it goes. Apparently I'm the test subject here on ordering from obscure vendors :lol

1stStrike said:
I'm crossing my fingers on this one. The site I ordered them from is apparently owned by some chinese people, and I haven't gotten any confirmation of shipping my order out or anything. It's just showing "payment sent to vendor" in google checkout.

I'll give it some time though and see how it goes. Apparently I'm the test subject here on ordering from obscure vendors :lol

Do be careful though. I do recall seeing on Headfi that FX500's are the target of knockoffs. Same goes for the Senn IE8's, and Dr. Dre Beats and possibly countless other models.

HiResDes

1stStrike said:

Dude I'm in the same boat, this asshole Dimitry from GDAudiobase won't even reply back to any of comments...I can't even tell if they've shipped the earphones I ordered over a week ago :lol

...Worse comes to worse I'm just going to get those new wooden in-earphones from MEElectronics

1stStrike

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Do be careful though. I do recall seeing on Headfi that FX500's are the target of knockoffs. Same goes for the Senn IE8's, and Dr. Dre Beats and possibly countless other models.

Yeah, I usually try to order as much as I can on amazon, but naturally they're not on there. Most of the 3rd party websites look so shitty too, it makes it hard to trust a store that looks like something they threw together in frontpage.

Like I said, we'll see how it goes. I should be able to tell by the packaging alone if they're real or not.

HiRes: I submitted through their website and he replied to me. I was able to get my refund from him, so he doesn't seem like he's hot to rip off anyone. Just not overly efficient. Each time I contacted him he'd be like "Well, I called over and looks like they're not ready yet."

1stStrike said:
Yeah, I usually try to order as much as I can on amazon, but naturally they're not on there. Most of the 3rd party websites look so shitty too, it makes it hard to trust a store that looks like something they threw together in frontpage.

Like I said, we'll see how it goes. I should be able to tell by the packaging alone if they're real or not.

I've actually seen the packaging for the knockoff Senn IE8's and the Dre Beats. You'd be hardpressed to tell the difference between an original and a copy unless you had the official packaging and were looking for faults in the copy. They are seriously good at replicating the detail where it counts. If I recall correctly the chin slider on the knockoffs for the FX500s are the give away, that and the wood is more porous, and looks lower quality. Again, if you don't have an original, it's hard to tell on sight alone. You'd have to hear them to establish beyond a doubt that they are knockoffs as the copies should sound mediocre.

Edit: Actually, on Amazon, some of the vendors supply knockoffs as well :l

1stStrike

Banned
I've actually seen the packaging for the knockoff Senn IE8's and the Dre Beats. You'd be hardpressed to tell the difference between an original and a copy unless you had the official packaging and were looking for faults in the copy. They are seriously good at replicating the detail where it counts. If I recall correctly the chin slider on the knockoffs for the FX500s are the give away, that and the wood is more porous, and looks lower quality. Again, if you don't have an original, it's hard to tell on sight alone. You'd have to hear them to establish beyond a doubt that they are knockoffs as the copies should sound mediocre.

Edit: Actually, on Amazon, some of the vendors supply knockoffs as well :l

Yeah, they're really good, but there's always some differences. I'll definitely give it a really good look over, and then I'll try them out and see how it goes.

My amp just got in my local area today and will be here tomorrow. Who knows when I'll have ear buds to match up with it though :lol

1stStrike said:
Yeah, they're really good, but there's always some differences. I'll definitely give it a really good look over, and then I'll try them out and see how it goes.

My amp just got in my local area today and will be here tomorrow. Who knows when I'll have ear buds to match up with it though :lol

Oh sweet, which amp did you get?

Oh, they're a part of Rudistor. Nice. I could definitely use something like that for my RE262's. I'm beginning to understand why they were packed in with the HiFiMan DMP now :l

1stStrike

Banned
Oh, they're a part of Rudistor. Nice. I could definitely use something like that for my RE262's. I'm beginning to understand why they were packed in with the HiFiMan DMP now :l

I originally bought it to pair with the Sherman's, but we'll see how it goes for other ear buds. I think in the future I'm just going to be like "if it isn't on amazon, newegg, or some other major vendor which I can recite from memory then I'm not ordering it."

swoon

HiResDes said:
If I had the money and the patience to consistently upkeep a tube I would...They are supposed to sound warmer and really add a lot of flavor to headphones. However, I prefer solid states because they seem less prone to fucking up and generally they can be had for a lot less.
They don't really require any upkeep. Tubes last for 3,000 to 5,000 hours and most higher end tubes amps are more neutral than warm. I think cheaper tubes as sound more fun than cheaper solid state amps and mid to higher end amps it really depends on your speakers or cans what would be better.

Well, some of the smaller vendors like AccessoryJack, and some of the Ebay vendors do sell legitly on the side. I've had luck getting stuff for under MSRP from an Ebay vendor who is actually a japanese wholesaler of headphones. It definitely helps that other people have bought from these places beforehand to allay any worries.

HiResDes

Yeah I only dabble in the cheap stuff...And that pretty much goes for everything in life.

@1strike I plan on getting my TMA-1's from Turntablelab down the road, as the site seems super legit too.

Top Bottom