• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

FoxSpirit

Buds. Sorry about the mess. In ear make me uncomfortable, lol.
Earbud, Clip+, under 50 bucks??
Well, that's easy
http://www.bloxearphone.com/purchase.htm
I use Rockbox and a 2dB bass increase and it sounds fuckin incredible. Or sounded, until I tried them in a plane without the correct adapter and fried them :-(
Sound is incredibly detailed and rich with great dynamics straight from the Clip+. Get better in the bass with some usage time.

Still haven't repurchased, I wanna save the money towards some Grado's or Alessandro's as upgrade. Though I did purchase the PortaPro right after the return from the trip as portable replacement but... I still want them back.

Ashhong

So after less than a week of using my E17 connected to my PC i'm hearing crackling noise during music playback. I can't tell when it happens, if not just randomly. It sounds as if its adjusting to the frequency, I guess?

This is almost as annoying as the idle crackling I got from my onboard soundcard before I bought this, which wasn't noticeable while playing music...

Why is this happening?

Sounds like you don't have it connected by USB in order to use the DAC from the E17. If you have it connected via headphone jack then you are just amplifying the poor signal from your computer.

Orangecaramel made the same mistake with an E7. It was pretty hilarious when he realized his mistake.

Max

I am not Max
How is it connected?
Sounds like you don't have it connected by USB in order to use the DAC from the E17. If you have it connected via headphone jack then you are just amplifying the poor signal from your computer.

Orangecaramel made the same mistake with an E7. It was pretty hilarious when he realized his mistake.

Connected through USB, s'how I charge it too

edit: I switched to 96K bitrate and changed usb ports and it is still noticeable

lol I can't listen to music like this. It was perfectly fine for the first few days

Hmm, u know what, screw it... Let's get with the times. Best regular earphones for under 50$ and also best IEMs for under 50$.
Anyone?
Comfort is essential!

Now, I know the OP is my friend, but I have a few questions about it:

I now which of these are the cheapest and which are the most expensive, what I don't know is... which ones are the best? I'm fine with the price of any of these, I just want to know which ones are the best.

Budget Earphones Under $55 - From Most Expensive To Least

Blox M2C (Earbuds)

Sunrise Audio AS-Feeling (Earbuds)

Yuin PK3(Earbuds)

Same question regarding these 3.

Also, one small doubt: are IEMs comfortable to wear while lying down on your side? I like to listen to music while falling asleep but most days I'm forced to use my earbuds 'cause of the gf... which is uncomfortable as I sleep on my side and the bud that's below my head always hurts my hear slightly. So the question is, does this also happen with IEMs? [/first world problems]

Gonna update it soon.

Good man :). I thought about mentioning it to you directly but I knew that you had been 'away' for awhile so thought it was better to leave you in peace for a bit!

Now, I know the OP is my friend, but I have a few questions about it:

I now which of these are the cheapest and which are the most expensive, what I don't know is... which ones are the best? I'm fine with the price of any of these, I just want to know which ones are the best.

Also, one small doubt: are IEMs comfortable to wear while lying down on your side? I like to listen to music while falling asleep but most days I'm forced to use my earbuds 'cause of the gf... which is uncomfortable as I sleep on my side and the bud that's below my head always hurts my hear slightly. So the question is, does this also happen with IEMs? [/first world problems]

I wasn't being snarky so hope you didn't take it that way.

Well, 'best' really depends on your criteria really. I assumed that any product listed in the OP came recommended here so clicked a few links and assessed the different options until I found a pair that I was happy with in terms of price, looks, angle of jack etc. I can't give you any clearer help than that I'm afraid as I'm not an audiophile; I just needed some new IEMs.

With regard to the sleeping on your side issue....me too. I bought these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038W0K1G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

purely for that purpose. The Amazon review mentioned that they were more comfortable than most when lying on one's side so I decided they were cheap enough to risk it. They are not entirely comfortable i.e. my ear can get a bit sore but it's not enough discomfort to stop me falling asleep or enough to wake me up or anything.

It's only be a few days of use with them so far and I've essentially slept through the night wearing them, occasionally waking up briefly to re-position them.

If I'm reading your post right you are considering those IEMs anyway. So might I suggest that you consider those as a cheap trial pair to see how you get on with IEMs, both in general and with regard to the sleeping issue? Then if you decide you wish to upgrade to a better quality pair you could leave these by the bed and use a better pair for your other needs. This is what I do. I have another pair [of still inexpensive, in the scheme of things] IEMs i.e. these:

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/brainwavz-m1-iem-earphones-p-399.html

which I use purely for my Nano and 3DS.

Hope that helps and I hope you settle on something that is just right for you :).

Max

I am not Max
Connected through USB, s'how I charge it too

edit: I switched to 96K bitrate and changed usb ports and it is still noticeable

lol I can't listen to music like this. It was perfectly fine for the first few days
K so the problem isn't apparent when connected to my ipod, good that it isn't the E17 itself.

So it's either my motherboard or the usb cable, and i've no idea what to do about it. Tried clearing the dust from the usb ports but the crackling still happens

flow my tears

Izick

Is there a earbud thread?

I'm just looking for a cheap pair that's around 20$-30$ that I can get in a store. I need to get a pair before Monday, since mine died out on Friday, and I really like listening to music whilst at the gym.

Ashhong

K so the problem isn't apparent when connected to my ipod, good that it isn't the E17 itself.

So it's either my motherboard or the usb cable, and i've no idea what to do about it. Tried clearing the dust from the usb ports but the crackling still happens

flow my tears

Where did you buy it from? Just get a replacement. Or try another USB cable or computer?

Is there a earbud thread?

I'm just looking for a cheap pair that's around 20$-30$ that I can get in a store. I need to get a pair before Monday, since mine died out on Friday, and I really like listening to music whilst at the gym.

I believe the OP has some earbud suggestions in that price range.

MultiCore

flow my tears

Connect it to a powered USB hub. I had a *very* similar problem with a Total Bithead, and it goes completely away when connected to a powered hub.

I wasn't being snarky so hope you didn't take it that way.

Well, 'best' really depends on your criteria really. I assumed that any product listed in the OP came recommended here so clicked a few links and assessed the different options until I found a pair that I was happy with in terms of price, looks, angle of jack etc. I can't give you any clearer help than that I'm afraid as I'm not an audiophile; I just needed some new IEMs.

With regard to the sleeping on your side issue....me too. I bought these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038W0K1G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

purely for that purpose. The Amazon review mentioned that they were more comfortable than most when lying on one's side so I decided they were cheap enough to risk it. They are not entirely comfortable i.e. my ear can get a bit sore but it's not enough discomfort to stop me falling asleep or enough to wake me up or anything.

It's only be a few days of use with them so far and I've essentially slept through the night wearing them, occasionally waking up briefly to re-position them.

If I'm reading your post right you are considering those IEMs anyway. So might I suggest that you consider those as a cheap trial pair to see how you get on with IEMs, both in general and with regard to the sleeping issue? Then if you decide you wish to upgrade to a better quality pair you could leave these by the bed and use a better pair for your other needs. This is what I do. I have another pair [of still inexpensive, in the scheme of things] IEMs i.e. these:

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/brainwavz-m1-iem-earphones-p-399.html

which I use purely for my Nano and 3DS.

Hope that helps and I hope you settle on something that is just right for you :).

No worries about the snarkyness, I never thought you were being anything but helpfull. ^^

Put the M9s on my shopping cart at amazon, will buy them as soon as I settle on a pair of earbuds to go along with those.

Max

I am not Max
Where did you buy it from? Just get a replacement. Or try another USB cable or computer?
Headphone Bar in Canada. I tried another cable with my PC, same thing. Tried it on my dad's laptop and I don't notice it. So it is definitely my PC's motherboard...

Shame because the static and crackle was the whole reason I bought this thing, and all it does for me is amplify it. Maybe I'll just return it and buy that $40 sound card everyone likes

Connect it to a powered USB hub. I had a *very* similar problem with a Total Bithead, and it goes completely away when connected to a powered hub.
how can this make sense? wouldn't it just be passing through another thing for no reason?

Whoops, didn't see them there, thought that section was just the little earphones that you plug into your ears, thank you!

My pleasure :). That is easily done; I only stumbled across the earbuds my self in there the other day.

No worries about the snarkyness, I never thought you were being anything but helpfull. ^^

Put the M9s on my shopping cart at amazon, will buy them as soon as I settle on a pair of earbuds to go along with those.

Oh good :).

Good man! :) Hope they are both to your liking.

FoxSpirit

Budget Earphones Under $55 - From Most Expensive To Least

Blox M2C (Earbuds)

Sunrise Audio AS-Feeling (Earbuds)

Yuin PK3(Earbuds)

M2C have a very dynamic and speedy high resolution sound, the AS-Feeeling I call the "tubulizer" because it sounds like those charmin old tube radios and for the PK3 read up, I don't have that.
The technically most accomplished of the 3 is the M2C no question.

T.O.P

Banned
Gaf i donnow a thing about phones, nuff said i'm now choosing between the AKG K550 and the Phiaton Ms 400...99% of my time i listen to k-pop through my pc or my Galaxy II...what should i get?

The phiaton are gorgeous but i'm reading that they're very fragile :x

Gaf i donnow a thing about phones, nuff said i'm now choosing between the AKG K550 and the Phiaton Ms 400...99% of my time i listen to k-pop through my pc or my Galaxy II...what should i get?

The phiaton are gorgeous but i'm reading that they're very fragile :x

The Phiaton MS 300s are fragile, not the 400s. The MS400 are solid and can take quite a bit of abuse and twisting without any trouble.

As for comparison, the MS400s are much warmer and have more forward mids than the K550s. The K550s have more reach in highs and more shimmer but are as a result much more prone to sibilence.

Since your music of choice is K-Pop, you'll want phones with strong mids for the vocals and good bass extension. The Phiatons best the AKGs in both and are, in my opinion, the best portables in the price range. They are also more portable, sexier, lighter, more comfortable and have better isolation. As if that wasn't enough, they are some of the easiest to drive headphones out there and will go to ear damaging loudness on your smartphone without even an amp.

MultiCore

how can this make sense? wouldn't it just be passing through another thing for no reason?

Or, you know, you could try it. I didn't post that for my health, man.

I have a Clevo D900F. No USB soundcard that I've ever connected directly works without intermittent crackle. Every single one works perfectly through a powered hub that I bought on a whim while desperately searching for other answers. (DPC latency, Windows versions, driver conflicts, ect.)

T.O.P

Banned
The Phiaton MS 300s are fragile, not the 400s. The MS400 are solid and can take quite a bit of abuse and twisting without any trouble.

As for comparison, the MS400s are much warmer and have more forward mids than the K550s. The K550s have more reach in highs and more shimmer but are as a result much more prone to sibilence.

Since your music of choice is K-Pop, you'll want phones with strong mids for the vocals and good bass extension. The Phiatons best the AKGs in both and are, in my opinion, the best portables in the price range. They are also more portable, sexier, lighter, more comfortable and have better isolation. As if that wasn't enough, they are some of the easiest to drive headphones out there and will go to ear damaging loudness on your smartphone without even an amp.

Just bought the MS400, thanks a lot for the advice, they should be here before the next weekend, can't wait :D

T.O.P

Banned
Grats, enjoy the (female) attention when you take them out in public ;)

oh sheiiiiiit, i'm more into guys D:

@btw been reading about a burn in period that you have to do for the first hour with a new pair of cans, the hell is that? O_O

Ha, well you'll get that too. Seriously, everyone wants to know what they are and where you got them from XD

@btw been reading about a burn in period that you have to do for the first hour with a new pair of cans, the hell is that? O_O

Lets see, well all headphones generally have a burn in period. The theory is that after a certain amount of time, the diaphragms loosen up and start to perform better. The ballpark is usually around 40 hours, but for a lot of headphones it's longer.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it though, just listen to music normally and you'll burn them in naturally.

Alucrid

Banned

You should do periodic cycles of 5-1-5-6-3 of red, blue, green, white and black noise. It's important to multiply the volume you listen to it at, multiply by 1.81 and use that amount for the burn in period.

pax217

The first hour? No chance. Any good speaker is going to take hours and hours to be fully "burned."

Bullshit, just use them right off the bat

Yup

You should do periodic cycles of 5-1-5-6-3 of red, blue, green, white and black noise. It's important to multiply the volume you listen to it at, multiply by 1.81 and use that amount for the burn in period.

lol love it. Going to recommend this to everyone who asks from now on.

Ashhong

Headphone Bar in Canada. I tried another cable with my PC, same thing. Tried it on my dad's laptop and I don't notice it. So it is definitely my PC's motherboard...

Shame because the static and crackle was the whole reason I bought this thing, and all it does for me is amplify it. Maybe I'll just return it and buy that $40 sound card everyone likes

The card is less than 20$ off Amazon after shipping, though I don't know about shipping to Canada. If you get that, you dont need the DAC at all. I notice no crackling sound from mine. I don't know why your USB port would make that sound. Have you tried multiple ports as well? or maybe the front ports as opposed to the back one?

Eric WK

I'm looking to sell my Audio Technica ESW9As. Owned for about a year, but not really heavily used. Very well cared for with the travel bag included. I don't have the original box because I never planned on getting rid of them, but I just need the money right now.

If anybody's interested, feel free to PM me. Looking to get at least $175 shipped.

Willectro

Banned
Anyone have any luck with the Bravo Audio Tube Amps?

I want to drive 598's primarily and a few other cans. I'm thinking this may be a good beginner tube amp.

pax217

Anyone have any luck with the Bravo Audio Tube Amps?

I want to drive 598's primarily and a few other cans. I'm thinking this may be a good beginner tube amp.

I've read a lot that there are better competing products at every price range. Not that Bravo's products are bad, just that there are better ones for the given price. Specifically, how much were you looking to spend on a tube amp?

I've never owned a pair of 598's, so I can't give specific amp pairing recommendations, but I could give you amp rec's in general.

Willectro

Banned
I've read a lot that there are better competing products at every price range. Not that Bravo's products are bad, just that there are better ones for the given price. Specifically, how much were you looking to spend on a tube amp?

I've never owned a pair of 598's, so I can't give specific amp pairing recommendations, but I could give you amp rec's in general.

I'm looking to spend +/- $100. Would prefer a tube amp, based on what I've read. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thundr51

Just decided to give an update on the SkullCandy Aviators that I bought about 2 weeks ago.

So far very pleased. I won't comment on the sound as i'm sure I won't know what i'm talking about but they sound fine to me so no problems there. I mostly listen to them at work and I have to admit I've worn these things for 2-4 hour stretches with no problems at all. While that doesn't sound like much to you guys that's akin to a 500hr marathon to me. They don't cause any weird tightening with my glasses and they don't pinch my ears. I can listen to them as loud as I want and nobody in the surrounding area can hear it. I like the color/styling so i'm pretty pleased(brown/gold). My only nitpick is that the integrated controls don't work with my ZuneHD...but really, I can't blame them for not supporting it ;)

All and in i'm pleased with my purchase.

Kukuk

Banned
I'm looking to spend +/- $100. Would prefer a tube amp, based on what I've read. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Little Dot I+ is a pretty sweet amp for it's price. If you go used you might be able to snag one as low as $80. It can even drive some of the big boys, like the Audeze LCD-2's and AKG K701's (which are infamously hard to drive).

Just decided to give an update on the SkullCandy Aviators that I bought about 2 weeks ago.

So far very pleased. I won't comment on the sound as i'm sure I won't know what i'm talking about but they sound fine to me so no problems there. I mostly listen to them at work and I have to admit I've worn these things for 2-4 hour stretches with no problems at all. While that doesn't sound like much to you guys that's akin to a 500hr marathon to me. They don't cause any weird tightening with my glasses and they don't pinch my ears. I can listen to them as loud as I want and nobody in the surrounding area can hear it. I like the color/styling so i'm pretty pleased(brown/gold). My only nitpick is that the integrated controls don't work with my ZuneHD...but really, I can't blame them for not supporting it ;)

All and in i'm pleased with my purchase.

Glad your liking them. And again I have to say, before anyone jumps you for buying Skullcandy, that the Aviators are a great pair of headphones.

pax217

The Little Dot I+ is a pretty sweet amp for it's price. If you go used you might be able to snag one as low as $80. It can even drive some of the big boys, like the Audeze LCD-2's and AKG K701's (which are infamously hard to drive).

Exactly what I was going to recommend.

Talon

What makes these better?
Removable cable. It's the part that's most likely to malfunction. You don't want to be caught solo or need a repair, when you can just swap it out.

For that price range, I go to the 840s by default when it comes to closed cans. Now, they're not the most portable. Somewhat heavy - depending on your head size.

840s are a really balanced pair of headphones that seem to fit your needs. Bass will appease you, but it's not an overly punchy sound. The mids are very strong.

Give it a Google if you want more detail.

ATH-M50s are a good option as well. I just like the Shures more. Also, Kanye seems happy with 'em: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv56xyT0w31qlpy73o1_500.gif

Malvolio

What makes these better?

I would actually disagree with recommending the 840's. While they are great cans, booming bass is something that they don't do well. They get a bit better with amplification, but if great bass is what you are after, you can do better than the 840's.

Talon

I would actually disagree with recommending the 840's. While they are great cans, booming bass is something that they don't do well. They get a bit better with amplification, but if great bass is what you are after, you can do better than the 840's.
Well he said this: I listen to hip-hop mainly, so great bass is a necessity. I just want fantastic all-around sound.

The 840s aren't off-kilter with the bass a la Beats, but I find them to be strong enough.

Malvolio

Well he said this: I listen to hip-hop mainly, so great bass is a necessity. I just want fantastic all-around sound.

The 840s aren't off-kilter with the bass a la Beats, but I find them to be strong enough.

I certainly agree that the 840's fit the bill when it comes to fantastic all-around sound, but as soon as I see "great bass is a necessity" I think of the M50's as a better fit. I have a feeling that the M50's will come closer to matching the 840's in all around performance than the 840's will match the bass of the M50's. Either way though, he will get great performance per dollar from both of these.

Talon

I certainly agree that the 840's fit the bill when it comes to fantastic all-around sound, but as soon as I see "great bass is a necessity" I think of the M50's as a better fit. I have a feeling that the M50's will come closer to matching the 840's in all around performance than the 840's will match the bass of the M50's. Either way though, he will get great performance per dollar from both of these.
Agreed. Can't really go wrong with either. I just tend to prefer the Shure's.

And most importantly - removable cable!

The SRH840s are actually bassier than the M50s, though slightly less defined. Neither are cans I would recommend to a basshead, but both have more than sufficient bass for everyone else. The M50 bass is punchy, while the SRH840 is more laid back and a bit more rumbly, especially amped.

The M50s are not all round phones though, their recessed mids are further obscured by the sibilent-prone and aggressive mid-highs which makes for an unsteady frequency response.

Well shit, I need to get me these Shures now.

You Shure do!

Honestly they are some of my favorite cans for SQ at any price range.

Alucrid

Banned
Removable cable. It's the part that's most likely to malfunction. You don't want to be caught solo or need a repair, when you can just swap it out.

For that price range, I go to the 840s by default when it comes to closed cans. Now, they're not the most portable. Somewhat heavy - depending on your head size.

840s are a really balanced pair of headphones that seem to fit your needs. Bass will appease you, but it's not an overly punchy sound. The mids are very strong.

Give it a Google if you want more detail.

ATH-M50s are a good option as well. I just like the Shures more. Also, Kanye seems happy with 'em: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv56xyT0w31qlpy73o1_500.gif

no kanye is choking on airplane food

HiResDes

Well shit, I need to get me these Shures now.

If you wanted bass you should have got either the M-Audio Q40s (though they require a lot of ampage) or the Ultrasone HFI-580s IMO.

And how in the hell did those Sony's shoot up to twice their asking price a few months ago, no longer the amazing value they once were.

Top Bottom