• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Addnan

I have one more request. This time in-ear to be used with an iPhone, would like a chat bit on it if possible. Mainly used for Metal music. If something like good can be bought for around £100 it would be great. Can stretch to £130-150 if its being sold here . Have vouchers.

Thanks again :)

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone own the Schiit Lyr + Bifrost combo?

Definitely tempted to pick it up for my AKG K702s when my budget allows for it. A little hesitant about owning an amp that could potentially blow my headphones, though.

HiResDes

I have one more request. This time in-ear to be used with an iPhone, would like a chat bit on it if possible. Mainly used for Metal music. If something like good can be bought for around £100 it would be great. Can stretch to £130-150 if its being sold here . Have vouchers.

Thanks again :)
MEelectronics A161p

LCfiner

Anyone own the Schiit Lyr + Bifrost combo?

Definitely tempted to pick it up for my AKG K702s when my budget allows for it. A little hesitant about owning an amp that could potentially blow my headphones, though.

If you get a new Lyr, it has a relay to prevent the issues present in the launch models with sensitive, low impedance headphones (if they were left plugged in during turn on).

TheExodu5

Banned
If you get a new Lyr, it has a relay to prevent the issues present in the launch models with sensitive, low impedance headphones (if they were left plugged in during turn on).

That's great to hear.

Definitely tempted. The Bifrost is particularly attractive because, even though the creator doesn't seem to care for USB, it seems to have the best USB implementation out there, at least that I've seen.

FYI you can get 20% off anything at MEelectronics. Just google "MEelectronics coupon" and it's one of the first ones that shows up.

pxleyes

Banned
So I'm looking for a new set of IEMs with full iPhone controls. From what I've seen, tthe Sony DREX61IP is a nice set for under 50. Any thoughts or opinions if this is a good set or if you have other recommendations.

HiResDes

Thanks for the recommendations, I've gone for the Pioneers.

Hey I've heard that the comfort might be a little off for people with larger heads...I forgot to mention that, I have a relatively small head so they felt good, but if you have a larger head I might consider the M80 instead though they are on-ears rather than around-the-ears. I also forgot to mention the Phiaton MS400, which seems to be less divisive.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
For PC use (Gaming and Music) do you guys just get a nice sound card then connect a nice set of headphones directly to the sound card or can you connect an amp/other device inbetween?

Thanks

Hey I've heard that the comfort might be a little off for people with larger heads...I forgot to mention that, I have a relatively small head so they felt good, but if you have a larger head I might consider the M80 instead though they are on-ears rather than around-the-ears. I also forgot to mention the Phiaton MS400, which seems to be less divisive.
Regarding the M80, they aren't built for huge heads. I have a large head, and they just barely fit me.

paskowitz

What are your favorite genres of music?

As far as music, pretty varied. Classic rock, classical, grunge, movie/game soundtracks, alternative rock, jazz, blues, really just about everything except for pop, rap and r&b.

I can tell you this much. I had a set of Sure SE210. I thought they were average. I HATE the sounds of Beats. That should give you an decent gauge.

HiResDes

As far as music, pretty varied. Classic rock, classical, grunge, movie/game soundtracks, alternative rock, jazz, blues, really just about everything except for pop, rap and r&b.

I can tell you this much. I had a set of Sure SE210. I thought they were average. I HATE the sounds of Beats. That should give you an decent gauge.

Brainwavz B2 would be great for those genres

IMO the best you can get sub-$150 for those genres are the Hifiman RE-262s.

EDIT: Also this thread should help.

HiResDes

Not at all. They run to ear-damagingly high levels straight from a Sansa Clip+ and/or Smartphone.

I do need to try the A161s though, given your recommendation XD

I don't wanna pimp them too hard, feeling like a MEElectronic shill.

HiResDes

The Brainwavz B2 are the same as the Fischer DBA-02, which don't have the flashy cord, but also don't have the foam tips...However, it's hard to find a pair for the same price in the States.

Edit: I really do like the A161 though as well.

The cords are a little flashy for me, based on critical reception, they look really good. Are there color options?

Any way to get foam buds on these?
Figure out which Complys fit them...These

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B0038W0K2K?tag=adapas02-20

I just bought some IEMs because my previous Koss headphones for mobility had too many issues with hair getting caught inside. I haven't been a fan of IEMs because my ears are naturally asymmetrical and they never seem to fit well. The good news is that they seem to fit well. HOWEVER, the right side has less sound than the left which reduces the quality of sound and the soundstage. Moving it around I can hear something blocking inside my right ear, like when your ears pop/depop. Is my right ear too waxy? I've had this problem before and had to go to a doctor to clean them out. Is a doctor recommended?

Struct09

I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD595's for the past ~4.5 years that have served me really well. They're starting to show their age since I've used them so much, so I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones. Preferably in the same price range ($200-300), and preferably as comfortable as the HD595's.

My only minor complaint with the HD595's is that the bass is a bit light. What recommendations would you guys have?

I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD595's for the past ~4.5 years that have served me really well. They're starting to show their age since I've used them so much, so I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones. Preferably in the same price range ($200-300), and preferably as comfortable as the HD595's.

My only minor complaint with the HD595's is that the bass is a bit light. What recommendations would you guys have?

I recommend the Philips Fidelio L1s. They really are some of the best sounding cans in the price range and comfortable too.

EDIT: Also check out Tyll's review on Innerfidelity.

Mordeccai

Was wondering if GAF had any recommendations for me in the realm of headphones. I had a pair of ATH M50's which were great, but broke due to my sisters. Enjoyed them, but they were uncomfortable on the ears after any more than an hour of use. Willing to spend around 200 for a set of cans, mainly listen to classic rock, grunge, metal, and a fair smattering of electronica and house. Portability isn't much of an issue. Will mostly be using through a tablet or smartphone, so amp recommendations are welcome as well!

curse my musical taste, is it possible to find headphones that are great for electronic music androck?!

edit: So last night I made a drunk purchase of a Nexus 7... not really upset because I really wanted the tablet but now my budget for headphones has gone pretty far down. Clicking through the OP I found these Brainwavz M4 with a free Fiio e6 herefor 70, what does everybody think about that combo? My m50's broke seven months ago and I've been using the samsung stock headphones that came with my Galaxy Nexus so I'm sure it will still be a marked improvement.

pxleyes

Banned
So I'm looking for a new set of IEMs with full iPhone controls. From what I've seen, tthe Sony DREX61IP is a nice set for under 50. Any thoughts or opinions if this is a good set or if you have other recommendations.
I know posts like mine can easily get lost in a thread like this, but should I just give up on a pair that has all those controls or will the pair above suffice? I can give up the controls if I have a good reason, but I'm lazy about pulling my phone out so having the volume and seek controls is a bonus.

Hey Gaf.

A while ago, I came to this thread asking advice on a pair of earphones with superior noise cancellation. I was recommended the Etymotic hf3's and they've been absolutely perfect. However, my current pair recently broke. The good news is that I have a year's Whatever Happens warranty from HMV - the bad news is that this means I need to get my next pair from HMV and I don't think they sell Etymotics anymore. I went into two HMV's in Norwich and neither sold my little Etymotics for replacement.

I'm going into Plymouth HMV today. It's a big store, and will hopefully sell my Etymotics, but if it doesn't I need to know what to replace them with. My key consideration is noise cancellation - I love that with my hf3's I could have the volume as loud as I liked without having to worry one bit about the person next to me on the bus.

My budget is £129.99, although I can happily go a bit higher if the extra is worth it.

Here's a list of what I have to choose from. The selection isn't anywhere near fantastic but because of the warranty I'm stuck with it lol. Any suggestions, Gaf?

HiResDes

Hey Gaf.

A while ago, I came to this thread asking advice on a pair of earphones with superior noise cancellation. I was recommended the Etymotic hf3's and they've been absolutely perfect. However, my current pair recently broke. The good news is that I have a year's Whatever Happens warranty from HMV - the bad news is that this means I need to get my next pair from HMV and I don't think they sell Etymotics anymore. I went into two HMV's in Norwich and neither sold my little Etymotics for replacement.

I'm going into Plymouth HMV today. It's a big store, and will hopefully sell my Etymotics, but if it doesn't I need to know what to replace them with. My key consideration is noise cancellation - I love that with my hf3's I could have the volume as loud as I liked without having to worry one bit about the person next to me on the bus.

My budget is £129.99, although I can happily go a bit higher if the extra is worth it.

Here's a list of what I have to choose from. The selection isn't anywhere near fantastic but because of the warranty I'm stuck with it lol. Any suggestions, Gaf?

I'd go with the Turbine or Tour, but both will be a huge departure from the HF3, which is colder and more analytical.

A161's bought, will let you guys know how I like em sometime next week. Thanks!

I predict satisfaction.

Fusebox

Banned
I just got my 2 sets of half-price Atrio's delivered, I got a blue and a red set. Digging the new case, very chunky and I see they've added black foamies into the extra tip stash too.

The new MG7 drivers are fucking awesome, I'm wearing the Atrio grin.

I just got my 2 sets of half-price Atrio's delivered, I got a blue and a red set. Digging the new case, very chunky and I see they've added black foamies into the extra tip stash too.

The new MG7 drivers are fucking awesome, I'm wearing the Atrio grin.

Are you a plant for Atrio? I've never seen a post where someone formally quotes reviews for a product.

bedlamite

The new Atrios are genuinely good. the new MG7 drivers improve on the treble and mids, which were the weaknesses of the older version.

/shill

Definitely look into the Beyerdynamic DT990's. I've had them for about a year and they are fantastic. Otherwise, why not take a look at the HD598's, I've read very good things from them as well.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

My cable has been worn on my Triple.Fi 10s for a while, and completely stopped working about three months ago.

I dunno why, but I've been just dealing using some cheap-ish Sony IEMs, because I also happened to lose my ~$150 Shures to a cat that likes to chew wires.

Anyway, finally ordered a FiiO replacement cable, and proceeded to replace the wire. Left IEM popped right off no problem... I go to the right IEM, and I pull the wire.... and it completely rips the wires out of the bud; my earbuds are ruined. :-/

UGH.

So, I'm on the hunt for a new pair. I am a member on Head-Fi and ordered a couple amps and DACs back in the day; but I haven't been in the scene in quite a while. I don't really feel like dropping a bunch of money on something; and I know if I go hunting myself, I'll start lusting over some $500+ pair that I can't afford right now.

So, anyone wanna give me the quick and dirty on what's out there, please? My requirements:

-Clear sound through entire range is numero uno; but I prefer some extra kick in my bass
-IN-EAR, and comfortable (I don't like standard buds)
-Stylish (I know, I know... but it's important to me)
-Preferably around $100, but I'd probably work up to about $200 or so.

Thanks!

So, I'm on the hunt for a new pair. I am a member on Head-Fi and ordered a couple amps and DACs back in the day; but I haven't been in the scene in quite a while. I don't really feel like dropping a bunch of money on something; and I know if I go hunting myself, I'll start lusting over some $500+ pair that I can't afford right now.

So, anyone wanna give me the quick and dirty on what's out there, please? My requirements:

-Clear sound through entire range is numero uno; but I prefer some extra kick in my bass
-IN-EAR, and comfortable (I don't like standard buds)
-Stylish (I know, I know... but it's important to me)
-Preferably around $100, but I'd probably work up to about $200 or so.

Thanks!

If you're willing to work over the $100, I'd highly recommend the excellent Brainwavz B2s. Some of the clearest sound across the range at any price. The bass has amazing extension, reaching down to the nether-regions of sub-bass with impressive ease while boasting an engrossing presentation. In-ear and comfortable, can be worn straight down or over the ear. Stylish...kinda.

Unbeatable bang for your buck right there.

Also check out this thread.

Top Bottom