• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

pax217

LC, either it was never posted or I'm subconsciously too lazy to have found it-- are those new "Dog pads" worth the extra $35 on the Mad Dogs?

Sony just went Dr. Dre:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666485862

MDR-X10
dsc03564.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
LOL @ Simon

My fav part is when he says it's like when you're in the studio for the recording... uh, you mean when they're using MDR 7506s?

Buggy Loop

Well i bought the Ultimate ears triplefi 10 last week , after reading so much praise from head-fi forums, i couldnt resist, canadian $ wise they're unbuyable, but something i didnt know is that amazon.com now ships to canada, didnt cost me much. So all in all, 210$ it costed me.
I should receive them by thursday, i'll post impressions. Cant wait to have them :D

Well i bought the Ultimate ears triplefi 10 last week , after reading so much praise from head-fi forums, i couldnt resist, canadian $ wise they're unbuyable, but something i didnt know is that amazon.com now ships to canada, didnt cost me much. So all in all, 210$ it costed me.
I should receive them by thursday, i'll post impressions. Cant wait to have them :D

Hope you don't run into fit issues. The TF10 is kinda notorious for being terrible in the ergonomics department

darkwing

Grats dude, enjoy the delicious mids and outright engrossing soundstage.

that is the first thing I noticed, I noticed my PX100 is more bass heavy and de-emphasized the mids compared to the M80s

I'm hearing detail in the songs I haven't heard before lol

LCfiner

Hey, if anyone is looking for a slightly dark - but not excessively so - headphone that looks like pretty cool the Beats Solo HD (on ear headphones), you should try out the Noontec Zoro. They cost 70 bucks including shipping on ebay. they are sold in some online USA headphone stores for 100.

I just bought a pair and they delivered today. I was thinking of giving them to my younger brother as a birthday gift (he's currently using some POS non name brand that sounds kinda awful - but I know he likes stuff that sounds better). But I wanted to make sure they weren't crap before I gifted them. I listened to them on my iphone and from the Fostex HP-P1 headphone out and they sound pretty darn good. I think my brother will really like these.

yes, they exaggerate the bass a bit over a flat response but it's not so bad that it drowns out the mids. I noticed some pretty nice soundstaging capabilities when I hooked it up to the Fostex amp/dac. I thought the sound was impressive for the price, easily.

I first read about them on innerfidelity, which got me curious about them. Based on my listening session now and my previous experience with the beats solo headphones in Best Buy displays, these sound quite a bit better. I'm pretty happy with the sound.

Obviously I have not used them enough to talk about long term build quality and wear. but they feel solid on first use. I'd say they should be on anyone's potential buy list if you're looking for an easy to drive, on ear headphone with a darker sound.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
LC, can you compare the SQ of the Noontec to the TMA-1? I can't remember if you've heard the latter.

LCfiner

LC, can you compare the SQ of the Noontec to the TMA-1? I can't remember if you've heard the latter.

Sorry, never heard the TMA-1. I can say it's less aggressive in the treble than the HD 25 1-II. it's also more comfy than them. I can't compare speed, detail or soundstage between them as I last heard the HD 25 a long time ago

And I think it's a bit less mushy in the lower mids than the B&W P5.

that's about as far as I can make a comparison with other on ear cans without feeling like I'm pulling impressions out of my butt :)

SolKane

Hey CANHEADS,

Need a recommendation for entry level headphones. I got a pair of Bose headphones for a gift a while back but they bleed sound a lot and I hate it when the person next to me on a train can hear what I'm listening to. Looking to spend ~$150.

HiResDes

Hey CANHEADS,

Need a recommendation for entry level headphones. I got a pair of Bose headphones for a gift a while back but they bleed sound a lot and I hate it when the person next to me on a train can hear what I'm listening to. Looking to spend ~$150.

If I were to make a generic recommendation without asking what genres of music you favor it'd be the Brainwavz HM5.

bedlamite

The TMA-1 isn't good for anything else other than electronica. It's a very dark-sounding headphone with recessed vocals and treble, it excels at dance music but you'll hate it for everything else. aiaiai says this is a DJ headphone, and they really mean it

HiResDes

Dsnuts of Headfi said:
LL

40mm Carbon Nanotube Driver.
8hz-25Khz freq.
32 Ohm
106/1mW output
1.2m. Cord.
Ebay price $50-$55 plus shipping

LL
LL

Highs. Articulate, detailed, extended oh so well. No sharpness or sibilance to make you cringe just the detail you want in your high end sound with absolutely no harshness whatsoever. Timbre detail on these are tops very similar to the new JVC earphones the FXD70 and the FXD80s. JVC tuning comes through with a very clean non fatiguing extended highs on these. Not sharp, not dull, just right. Can't complain here.

Mids. Oh lovely. These have a solid amount of defined mid section to make all your tunes sing. I noticed where these differ from the earphone versions is the depth and width of the mids on these are a step above the earphones. Vocals are lush with detail that only comes with higher end headphones. Again the Carbon Nantubes does a wonderful job of picking out the details you want from your tunes. Very full and lush to boot. No recessed nonsense here. These have the mid section that I find perfect for the presentation.. The overall sound is a bit north of a neutral sound. But done very tastefully and a high level of detail in every part of the spectrum. Imagery on the carbon nantube based headphones all of them have great imagery and these are no exception. Overall a very lovely detailed coherent sound altogether.

Lows. Fans of bass rejoice and these have some of the best bass end for portables. These approach the WS55 in bass easily and extends lower than them in the sub bass.. Carbon Nanotubes I noticed in all the different variants the FX40, the FXD70, FXD80 all have solid textured bass end and these having the biggest drivers out of all of them have the deepest fullest sub bass out of all of them. There is a bit of a mid bass but nothing that over shadows the rest of the sound. I have a feeling much like the FXD80 these need a burn in to smooth out the overall sound but to be honest. They sound lovely from open box. Lol! The sub bass is awesome on these. The extension in the sub bass is very satisfactory I think even for bassheads. These simply have some of the best full textured sub bass I have heard for portable or full sized headphones.

Overall
So in a nutshell the sound is a very complete and dynamic one..Extended articulate clean highs without being harsh in any way., A balanced lush full on detailed mid section with very great imagery and lastly some tight textured full bass end that will satisfy your music enjoyment for any tune. These are simply some of the best headphones I have heard in a while.. More impressions to come.. My advice.. Snap one up. Absolutely fantastic product from JVC. And this impression was from open box. Will only get better with a full burn cycle.. More to come..

bedlamite

The S500s are HF's flavor of the month, based on the HF thread alone I was just about to spring for a pair. However Amazon has a great deal on the V-Moda M80s so I jumped on that instead. I might still end up getting a pair of the JVCs later on as the carbon nanotube tech sounds intriguing (the wife has a pair of FXT-90s and those sound quite good), but I'll get the smaller S400s with the 30mm drivers instead. More portable, plus I already have a ton of cans that are similarly sized as the S500s.

Buggy Loop

Hope you don't run into fit issues. The TF10 is kinda notorious for being terrible in the ergonomics department

I got them today (yay). Been using them for 5 or so hours, not possible to make a final verdict of course but so far its very nice. First, i didnt think i had to wear them that way, i though originally it was with the UE logo toward the ear and not outside, which some people changed the wire to make that happen (flip flop mod), but i used it as supposed and i can get a perfect fit with the comply foam tips and its very light weight, nothing touches my ear so its not irritating. Im having a bit of trouble with the wire molding, but i didnt spend that much time on that, my glasses fit on them and doesnt cause a problem.

I must have good ears for those IEM i guess.

In a couple of years i'll probably reshell them custom to my ears via Fisher Hearing. I must admit, logitech's engineers had a weird idea with this design, it fits with me but there's so much drama over this for peoples whom it doesnt fit. I guess its a risk however you look at it, universal fit that look like alien antennas outside your ear but has a good change to fit with a lot of peoples, or put them low profile inside your ear but risk of fitting with not too many peoples as its not custom molded. Less risks of having only the tips fit into the ear than the tip + the monitor. But it does look a bit ridiculous, good thing i have long hair hehe.

They sound FUCK awesome though, they beat my HD555 by a big margin.

The S500s are HF's flavor of the month, based on the HF thread alone I was just about to spring for a pair. However Amazon has a great deal on the V-Moda M80s so I jumped on that instead. I might still end up getting a pair of the JVCs later on as the carbon nanotube tech sounds intriguing (the wife has a pair of FXT-90s and those sound quite good), but I'll get the smaller S400s with the 30mm drivers instead. More portable, plus I already have a ton of cans that are similarly sized as the S500s.

Just don't tell Val in the Headfi thread that you bought them at that price. He doesn't like it when amazon lowers the price so low. It is a great deal though. Enjoy, they're built like a tank.

...K-On? God dammit, not you too Des... :/

I got them today (yay). Been using them for 5 or so hours, not possible to make a final verdict of course but so far its very nice. First, i didnt think i had to wear them that way, i though originally it was with the UE logo toward the ear and not outside, which some people changed the wire to make that happen (flip flop mod), but i used it as supposed and i can get a perfect fit with the comply foam tips and its very light weight, nothing touches my ear so its not irritating. Im having a bit of trouble with the wire molding, but i didnt spend that much time on that, my glasses fit on them and doesnt cause a problem.

I must have good ears for those IEM i guess.

In a couple of years i'll probably reshell them custom to my ears via Fisher Hearing. I must admit, logitech's engineers had a weird idea with this design, it fits with me but there's so much drama over this for peoples whom it doesnt fit. I guess its a risk however you look at it, universal fit that look like alien antennas outside your ear but has a good change to fit with a lot of peoples, or put them low profile inside your ear but risk of fitting with not too many peoples as its not custom molded. Less risks of having only the tips fit into the ear than the tip + the monitor. But it does look a bit ridiculous, good thing i have long hair hehe.

They sound FUCK awesome though, they beat my HD555 by a big margin.

Ah, good to hear. And yeah, a lot of people were snatching them up during the Black Friday sales to convert to customs. Would've worked out to like... $170 for a custom fit IEM, which is a steal.

Laekon

I got a new job recently that will have me spending a lot of time on planes. I know Bose aren't a good option for regular listening but are they the best noise canceling headphones?

I got a new job recently that will have me spending a lot of time on planes. I know Bose aren't a good option for regular listening but are they the best noise canceling headphones?
Have a read:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparative-review-high-end-noise-canceling-headphones

The Quiet Comforts are really comfy phones, but for the price, I'd rather go with a pair of top tier IEMs. The noise cancellation circuits in these phones always wreck the sound imo

Really? I haven't noticed much hype about them outside their one thread on Head-fi.

They have some pretty steep competition in the price range too, with cans like the CAL!s, HD668Bs, PHX Pros, FA-004s, MDR-V6s etc. I totally want to hear how they measure up but they aren't available in the UK yet (outside international shipping Ebay) :(

DRM has it right, you don't need "noise canceling" at all. IEMs will do the best job of it, but there's plenty of headphones/cans that isolate perfectly even on a plane without sacrificing sound quality/your soul. Let us know your budget and genre preferences for a rec.

HiResDes

...K-On? God dammit, not you too Des... :/

Ah, good to hear. And yeah, a lot of people were snatching them up during the Black Friday sales to convert to customs. Would've worked out to like... $170 for a custom fit IEM, which is a steal.

It was meant to be my 10,000th post as a throwback to whoever posted it in the other thread, but I forgot : (

darkwing

fellow M80 users, can the fiio E6 help improve it? I noticed my Samsung S2 doesn't sound as good as my Vita, just playing the same MP3 file

fellow M80 users, can the fiio E6 help improve it? I noticed my Samsung S2 doesn't sound as good as my Vita, just playing the same MP3 file

Is it loudness you are noticing or sound quality?

The Vita has a high grade Wolfson DAC, while the Samsung S2 has a lower grade (Yahama I think) DAC, so the sound quality should be noticeable better on the Vita to begin with.

darkwing

Is it loudness you are noticing or sound quality?

The Vita has a high grade Wolfson DAC, while the Samsung S2 has a lower grade (Yahama I think) DAC, so the sound quality should be noticeable better on the Vita to begin with.

yup it's the sound quality I'm referring , so this can't be helped with the fiio E6? do I even need an amp for the M80?

yup it's the sound quality I'm referring , so this can't be helped with the fiio E6? do I even need an amp for the M80?

Shouldn't need an amp for the M80 unless it's not loud enough.

The Samsung S1 and S3 both share the same Wolfson DAC as the Vita, but Samsung got cheap with the S2 and removed it in favor of a considerably less expensive/lower grade Yamaha (often found in Smartphones), so that would explain the drop in detail.

venne

I need to replace my Shure e5s. Looks like I can get the SE535s from Shure for ~$250 if I send in my old ones.

Anything else worth considering or that the best option?

Laekon

DRM has it right, you don't need "noise canceling" at all. IEMs will do the best job of it, but there's plenty of headphones/cans that isolate perfectly even on a plane without sacrificing sound quality/your soul. Let us know your budget and genre preferences for a rec.

I've tried a variety of over the ear headphones and none of them can keep out the rumble of a plane. I'll give some in ear ones a shot but I have a hard time finding ones that are even comfortable. I listen mainly to indie/alternative music, The Decemberist and Florence and the Machine have been on rotation this week.

The linked test was idiotic in my opinion. How is listening to bar noise through speakers a test for how most people will use noise canceling headphones? I'm not trying to get the best listening experience I'm trying to be as comfortable as I can while stuck on a plane for 15 hours.

darkwing

I have the M80 and an E6, and I don't notice a difference. They're really made to be used without an amp, which I love.

Shouldn't need an amp for the M80 unless it's not loud enough.

The Samsung S1 and S3 both share the same Wolfson DAC as the Vita, but Samsung got cheap with the S2 and removed it in favor of a considerably less expensive/lower grade Yamaha (often found in Smartphones), so that would explain the drop in detail.

thanks for the reply guys, stupid Samsung, I'm spoiled by the Wolfson DAC, it looks like the music is muddled on the S2 compared to the Vita

anyways, I noticed that the M80 can clamp down on the ears too hard after wearing it for a few hours, I guess I need to bend this a little lol

I've tried a variety of over the ear headphones and none of them can keep out the rumble of a plane. I'll give some in ear ones a shot but I have a hard time finding ones that are even comfortable. I listen mainly to indie/alternative music, The Decemberist and Florence and the Machine have been on rotation this week.

The linked test was idiotic in my opinion. How is listening to bar noise through speakers a test for how most people will use noise canceling headphones? I'm not trying to get the best listening experience I'm trying to be as comfortable as I can while stuck on a plane for 15 hours.
I'd get a cheap pair of inner ear phones and slap some comply's on it to test out the isolation/comfort factor before dropping more money on a good set. If you can't get comfort with a pair of comply foams, then a pair of over the ear noise canceling phones might be your best bet. I was aways think about utility when recommending phones and the QC3 just aren't worth the price outside of a noisy environment. However, if your chief priority is comfort and noise isolation, then I'd say they may well be worth it to you. Hopefully Hix or Des can chime in with some alternate suggestions

Deadstar

I'm looking for a good gaming headset. Anyone have any experiences with these or have a better recommendation? Price range is around $50-60.

Turtle Beach X12

People say the mic is super sensitive which isn't really a problem unless it picks up noise coming out of the headphones.

Can't disagree with a thing DRM said really, if you're not interested in sound quality and don't like IEMs (which isolate better than anything), then I guess Noise Cancellating phones like the Bose QC15 are perhaps what you're looking for.

That said, there are many cans that can isolate more than sufficiently for flights. The Philips Citiscape Downtowns are a prime example. They were designed with isolation in mind and actually isolate BETTER than the Bose in the upper mids and treble. They are comfortable, sound good and come in a variety of colors (!) Oh and bonus advantage; noise cancelling headphones generally require batteries. These don't.

I don't know anything about headphones. I have been using MEelectronics HT-21's but I want some headphones that goes over the ear for under $50. I have been looking at the headphones below but I am open to suggestions. I will be using them for music (mostly hip-hop, video game music, and rock) and video games, also if it helps the devices I will be using with the headphone are the Asus Transformer Prime, PS vita, Samsung Galaxy S, and computer.

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S
Sennheiser HD 202 II
Audio-Technica ATH-M30

I don't know anything about headphones. I have been using MEelectronics HT-21's but I want some headphones that goes over the ear for under $50. I have been looking at the headphones below but I am open to suggestions. I will be using them for music (mostly hip-hop, video game music, and rock) and video games, also if it helps the devices I will be using with the headphone are the Asus Transformer Prime, PS vita, Samsung Galaxy S, and computer.

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S
Sennheiser HD 202 II
Audio-Technica ATH-M30
Check out Des' post up the page.

Edit: whoops you want over the ear. How about the Superlux's in the OP?

Sarquiss_

Looks like the cable on my headphones is buggered. There is no sound coming from the right earpiece unless I move the cable around.

Anyone know anyway to potentially fix this? Otherwise, what are some reasonably priced headphones which have detachable/easily replaceable cables

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S
Sennheiser HD 202 II
Audio-Technica ATH-M30

Under $50? Then the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S is the headphone for you. They have fantastic sound for the price, with deep rumbly bass (perfect for gaming and hip-hop) and nice clear and reasonably detailed mids/highs.

T-Matt

Under $50? Then the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S is the headphone for you. They have fantastic sound for the price, with deep rumbly bass (perfect for gaming and hip-hop) and nice clear and reasonably detailed mids/highs.

I have the Panasonic's and really like them. They sound quite good for the price and I always use them for games which they handle really well.

Mordeccai

Got the A161's in the mail yesterday, and damn. These are awesome. I'm mostly impressed by how crisp the highs are. Also, the bass is perfect for me, not bloated at all. Very happy with my purchase, thanks to everyone who guided me to these beauties :]

My only issue so far has been using them with my phone/tablet. I think this may be an issue with Android, but when I plug them in there is slight static that plays. Its not noticeable with music playing, but just plugged into the jack with no audio playing there is static. Is this normal for anyone else?

Top Bottom